POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
piquant

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by piquant »

6.Jones wrote:
Santa wrote:I believe that people like Mulvaney have refused to testify in the basis of executive privilege. That is a legitimatereason and is constitutionally based in the separation of powers. That basis is not available to the Bidens or probably anyone that the Republicans might call.

I might be wrong though.
That's true, but what are the Bidens being accused of?
it might be a legitimate reason to assert that Trump can block witnesses from testifying, but it probably isn't, certainly not on a blanket basis. it's a bit of a mess tbh as it's not clear, and there are at various points competing demands and points of law.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Flockwitt wrote:
Santa wrote:I believe that people like Mulvaney have refused to testify in the basis of executive privilege. That is a legitimatereason and is constitutionally based in the separation of powers. That basis is not available to the Bidens or probably anyone that the Republicans might call.

I might be wrong though.
I wouldn't be sure in any case that the Republicans wouldn't hurt themselves by dragging the Bidens onto the public stage. Just like the Dems who weren't grandstanding didn't particularly want an impeachment in the first place, and like now still the Dems have to be careful with the next steps, as much a Trump may be banging on about wanting to put the Bidens up on the stand if it goes to trial in the Senate I'd suspect Mitch will refuse while the GOP grandstanders will continue to table thump.
Maybe. That's a risk assessment for the Republicans. Personally I think Mitch is rubbing his hands at the prospect.
Santa

Post by Santa »

6.Jones wrote:
Santa wrote:
6.Jones wrote:

I might be wrong though.
They wouldn't be on trial so nothing. That wouldn't stop them being treated as if they were on trial though, or being accused if all manner of things.

In fact the Dems have just presented Trump a far better opportunity to smear the Bidens than any empty statement from the Ukrainian government. Lolz.
But generally, the narrative is the Bidens did things. I haven't read all the theories. What do people think they did?
I have not followed it at all and have no idea. General corruption.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Santa wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

I might be wrong though.
I wouldn't be sure in any case that the Republicans wouldn't hurt themselves by dragging the Bidens onto the public stage. Just like the Dems who weren't grandstanding didn't particularly want an impeachment in the first place, and like now still the Dems have to be careful with the next steps, as much a Trump may be banging on about wanting to put the Bidens up on the stand if it goes to trial in the Senate I'd suspect Mitch will refuse while the GOP grandstanders will continue to table thump.
Maybe. That's a risk assessment for the Republicans. Personally I think Mitch is rubbing his hands at the prospect.
Are you sure that Joe Biden in front of a Senate committee, truthfully saying he was doing his patriotic duty, will play well for the Republicans? Unless Joe really was laundering Ukrainian crime money for his dad.
Santa

Post by Santa »

piquant wrote:
6.Jones wrote:

I might be wrong though.
it might be a legitimate reason to assert that Trump can block witnesses from testifying, but it probably isn't, certainly not on a blanket basis. it's a bit of a mess tbh as it's not clear, and there are at various points competing demands and points of law.
It's not a blanket basis and it is absolutely a legitimate basis for blocking testimony. Exerting executive privilege as a doctrine, and in order to resist subpoenas, has been broadly upheld by the Supreme Court. They dont want to get into a fight about drawing the limits of executive privilege.
Santa

Post by Santa »

6.Jones wrote:
Santa wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

I might be wrong though.
Are you sure that Joe Biden in front of a Senate committee, truthfully saying he was doing his patriotic duty, will play well for the Republicans? Unless Joe really was laundering Ukrainian crime money for his dad.
I doubt they would call Joe. But if they did I don't think it would be too hard to badger him into some confused and odd statements that would play well as news clips.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

piquant wrote:
6.Jones wrote:

I might be wrong though.
I'd doubt the blocking will survive any test if the evidence against Trump mounts, not letting Congress investigate when it's their responsibility to do is hardly a viable position. The issue is pending whatever is done next though, the Dems need to settle on a specific misdemeanor and have a clear rationale for demanding the presence of whoever they require to testify. Should be an interesting couple of weeks.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Flockwitt wrote:
piquant wrote:
6.Jones wrote:

I might be wrong though.
I'd doubt the blocking will survive any test if the evidence against Trump mounts, not letting Congress investigate when it's their responsibility to do is hardly a viable position. The issue is pending whatever is done next though, the Dems need to settle on a specific misdemeanor and have a clear rationale for demanding the presence of whoever they require to testify. Should be an interesting couple of weeks.
It has already been upheld under certain circumstances. It is to prevent oversight from preventing the President from doing his job. It is to prevent vexatious oversight, which is definitely a thing.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Santa wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
Santa wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

I might be wrong though.
I doubt they would call Joe. But if they did I don't think it would be too hard to badger him into some confused and odd statements that would play well as news clips.
That's the problem with senile old fools.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Santa wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:
piquant wrote:
6.Jones wrote:

I might be wrong though.
It has already been upheld under certain circumstances. It is to prevent oversight from preventing the President from doing his job. It is to prevent vexatious oversight, which is definitely a thing.
Yes which is why I stated 'if the evidence mounts'. I mean the blocking in this specific instance being upheld. The current witness testimony still lacks specifics such as a definite statement regards the reasons for Trump withholding the funds from Congress. I don't know if Schiff says for example he needs Bolton to confirm this in testimony, whether it would be enough to pass muster.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Flockwitt wrote: Yes which is why I stated 'if the evidence mounts'. I mean the blocking in this specific instance being upheld. The current witness testimony still lacks specifics such as a definite statement regards the reasons for Trump withholding the funds from Congress. I don't know if Schiff says for example he needs Bolton to confirm this in testimony, whether it would be enough to pass muster.
I don't think the Supreme Court would want to be cute about this and draw nifty case-by-case exceptions. I think they tend to kick it back and say sort it out yourselves or make very high level principals-based decisions. The Democrats want to be very careful about what they do, ask for and perhaps most importantly win. As Zzzz said yesterday everything the Dems get become available to the Republicans to use to arse fudge the next Dem President when they have the House. It is notbgoing to be prwtty in future thanks to some of the Den antics in this term.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Santa wrote:
Flockwitt wrote: Yes which is why I stated 'if the evidence mounts'. I mean the blocking in this specific instance being upheld. The current witness testimony still lacks specifics such as a definite statement regards the reasons for Trump withholding the funds from Congress. I don't know if Schiff says for example he needs Bolton to confirm this in testimony, whether it would be enough to pass muster.
I don't think the Supreme Court would want to be cute about this and draw nifty case-by-case exceptions. I think they tend to kick it back and say sort it out yourselves or make very high level principals-based decisions. The Democrats want to be very careful about what they do, ask for and perhaps most importantly win. As Zzzz said yesterday everything the Dems get become available to the Republicans to use to arse fudge the next Dem President when they have the House. It is notbgoing to be prwtty in future thanks to some of the Den antics in this term.
Yeah, nah. All the same arguments were trotted out about Clinton.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Santa wrote:
If Trump withheld Congressional funds for his personal benefit I think the Court will side with Congress.

And this cuts both ways, Republicans also need to be very careful about what they're prepared to sweep under the carpet here. President Bloomberg will be untouchable next round.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Considering they are willing to kill Epstein why didn't Conservatives plant WMD's in Iraq. That is the real question
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

EverReady wrote:Considering they are willing to kill Epstein why didn't Conservatives plant WMD's in Iraq. That is the real question
I'd want to get the dirt on that chemical attack in Syria that triggered Trump's first missile strike when in office. Planted by Israeli special forces for sure. :nod:
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Totally agree. Sharon was leading Israel in a 2003 so how did they fück up the WMD thing so badly. Just a little sniff of mustard would have sorted it out but nothing. The fact they found nothing stinks
Waratah

Post by Waratah »

Santa wrote:I doubt they would call Joe. But if they did I don't think it would be too hard to badger him into some confused and odd statements that would play well as news clips.
They'd struggle to badger a pedophile into a playground. The hearings last week amply demonstrated their abject cluelessness, the highlight of which was Nunes apologising to Sondland for what he was about to go through right before Sondland happily incriminated the lot of them. They thought he was going to be their witness and were completely blindsided, having apparently not even considered that possibility, because they're just not very bright.

Calling a bunch of witnesses without any idea of what they might say, and no evidence of any wrongdoing, given your case has no merit, has the potential to be as catastrophic as last week. When your only game plan is to hope someone f*cks up you're in deep trouble. Plainly misrepresenting what witnesses say to Fox News might fool the Cult 45s but won't play well with anyone else.

A full senate trial would be ugly for Trump.
merry!

Post by merry! »

rudy doesn't sound like he's flipping anytime soon..

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

I can’t figure out who he is attempting to blackmail, Trump or the Bidens?

Both?
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

BokJock wrote:I can’t figure out who he is attempting to blackmail, Trump or the Bidens?

Both?
It is now clear that Rudolph is the one that taught Donald how to play 4D chess and this is merely another lesson.
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Seneca of the Night wrote:Trump has mostly followed the neo-con script too, and still he has been absolutely excoriated by these people. They are fanatics. And one day America is going to have a president that wants to deviate more, and they will go utterly mental.

The Neo Con script went awry in Syria. Ukraine as well. IG reports out soon too. There may need to be another revision.
merry!

Post by merry! »

soon.. :)
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Waratah wrote:
Santa wrote:I doubt they would call Joe. But if they did I don't think it would be too hard to badger him into some confused and odd statements that would play well as news clips.
They'd struggle to badger a pedophile into a playground. The hearings last week amply demonstrated their abject cluelessness, the highlight of which was Nunes apologising to Sondland for what he was about to go through right before Sondland happily incriminated the lot of them. They thought he was going to be their witness and were completely blindsided, having apparently not even considered that possibility, because they're just not very bright.

Calling a bunch of witnesses without any idea of what they might say, and no evidence of any wrongdoing, given your case has no merit, has the potential to be as catastrophic as last week. When your only game plan is to hope someone f*cks up you're in deep trouble. Plainly misrepresenting what witnesses say to Fox News might fool the Cult 45s but won't play well with anyone else.

The way they started questioning the patriotism of serving military men was shameful.
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Kiwias wrote:
Waratah wrote:

The way they started questioning the patriotism of serving military men was shameful.
Perhaps they should have called them Russian agents.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

kiwinoz wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
Waratah wrote:

You can obviously point to all the contacts they have had with Russia.
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Kiwias wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
Waratah wrote:

Kiwias not neccessary I just have to say it and its true [/ Hillarymode]
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

WASHINGTON — Donald Trump is a rodomont. Not to mention a grobian. And, of course, a Sinon suffering from proditomania.
Take that, you muggles and grumpkins or whatever right wing splinter groups call themselves these days.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

kiwinoz wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:Trump has mostly followed the neo-con script too, and still he has been absolutely excoriated by these people. They are fanatics. And one day America is going to have a president that wants to deviate more, and they will go utterly mental.

The Neo Con script went awry in Syria. Ukraine as well. IG reports out soon too. There may need to be another revision.
The neocon script lost the plot in Iraq. They would've invaded Syria, in an act of creative destruction, in the belief that it'd reassemble itself into a teapot, in defiance of the laws of entropy.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

kiwinoz wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
kiwinoz wrote: Perhaps they should have called them Russian agents.
Kiwias not neccessary I just have to say it and its true [/ Hillarymode]
I wonder when the GOP will start the series of multiple investigations [/Benghazimode]
Backwoodsman1

Post by Backwoodsman1 »

6.Jones wrote:

I might be wrong though.

Bidens were caught holding the parcel when the wheels came off the DC foreign aid kickbacks merry go round. The only thing which will save them is that both sides of the isle have skin in the game, so there will be a degree of fudging. The request is for the companies Hunter is involved in.
More
#BREAKING:

Senators #Grassley and #RonJohnson seek “suspicious activity reports,” or documents that financial institutions file with the #Treasury’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network when a case of #moneylaundering or fraud is suspected

https://saraacarter.com

201 replies2,290 retweets3,611 likes
Reply 201 Retweet 2.3K Like 3.6K
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Well, I guess that if there are no suspicious activity reports they're off the hook?

After all, State and CIA have already said there's no evidence. I guess they'll have also thought of looking there? Or is the foreign aid kickback merry-go-round off-limits to them?

How do 'we' know? Deep state whistleblowers?
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

I don't mean to sound sceptical of the Biden allegations. I don't care much either way. I don't like Trump, but the Democrats are just another centre-right party, so meh.

But I'm fascinated by the process. Are these rumours that have bubbled up out of the dark web, or is there evidence?

If there's evidence, why has State said there is none? Is it a deep state conspiracy at work in the open?

If the evidence is Hunter's $50k a month from being on the board of Burisma, surely if there's a global aid scam going on then they'd find a better way to launder the money that putting the beneficiary's son on the board? That seems like plain old influence peddling to me, and while distasteful, it's perfectly legal.

Does anyone know of any real facts, or is it all smoke and mirrors?
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

A fascinating article in the New Yorker, on the origins of the story.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... nd-ukraine

It traces the theory to Steve Bannon's Government Accountability Institute, and a book by Peter Schweizer, editor-at-large of Breitbart News.
Asked about the Government Accountability Institute’s role in this year’s Biden scandal coverage, Bannon e-mailed to say, “It’s key. It was the predicate,” as it had been for much of the previous Clinton scandal coverage.
But the turning point in the Biden coverage, it appears, was in late 2018, when Trump’s private lawyer and political advocate, the former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, got involved. That winter, Giuliani began speaking to current and former Ukrainian officials about the Biden conspiracy theory, and meeting with them repeatedly in New York and Europe. Among those officials was Viktor Shokin, a former top Ukrainian prosecutor who was sacked in March, 2016, after European and U.S. officials, including Joe Biden, complained that he was lax in curbing corruption. Shokin claimed that he had lost his powerful post not because of his poor performance but rather because Biden wanted to stop his investigation of Burisma, in order to protect his son. The facts didn’t back this up. The Burisma investigation had been dormant under Shokin. But in March, according to NBC News, Giuliani gave the Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, a packet of Trump Hotel folders containing the purported evidence against Biden, including Giuliani’s interview with Shokin and his strategy to spread the Biden story, “including segments being placed on Fox News.” Before long, this explosive, politically useful legend took on a life of its own in America’s conservative media.
Rudy :shock:
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

6.Jones wrote:Well, I guess that if there are no suspicious activity reports they're off the hook?

After all, State and CIA have already said there's no evidence. I guess they'll have also thought of looking there? Or is the foreign aid kickback merry-go-round off-limits to them?

I guess it's an attempt to look at the data to see if they can tweak it to get it to match the conspiracy theory.

In other words, a fishing expedition.
Backwoodsman1

Post by Backwoodsman1 »

6.Jones wrote:Well, I guess that if there are no suspicious activity reports they're off the hook?

Ah, but the letter wouldn't have been sent unless it was guaranteed to produce a result and get known information formally no the public domain !
For an in-depth understanding of the moves and counter moves, you can do worse than read Sundance at Conservative Treehouse.
https://theconservativetreehouse.com/20 ... witnesses/
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Seneca of the Night wrote:That article is rubbish.
:lol:
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:That article is rubbish.
It's quite brilliant in a way - a new advance in journalism: literally a conspiracy theory to explain a "conspiracy theory".
conspiracy theory
[ kuhn-spir-uh-see theer-ee ]
noun
a theory that rejects the standard explanation for an event and instead credits a covert group or organization with carrying out a secret plot: One popular conspiracy theory accuses environmentalists of sabotage in last year's mine collapse.
a belief that a particular unexplained event was caused by such a covert group: A number of conspiracy theories have already emerged, purporting to explain last week's disappearance of a commercial flight over international waters.
the idea that many important political events or economic and social trends are the products of deceptive plots that are largely unknown to the general public: The more I learn about the activities of intelligence agencies, the less far-fetched I find many geopolitical conspiracy theories.

Just so that you know.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

6.Jones wrote:I don't mean to sound sceptical of the Biden allegations. I don't care much either way. I don't like Trump, but the Democrats are just another centre-right party, so meh.

But I'm fascinated by the process. Are these rumours that have bubbled up out of the dark web, or is there evidence?

If there's evidence, why has State said there is none? Is it a deep state conspiracy at work in the open?

If the evidence is Hunter's $50k a month from being on the board of Burisma, surely if there's a global aid scam going on then they'd find a better way to launder the money that putting the beneficiary's son on the board? That seems like plain old influence peddling to me, and while distasteful, it's perfectly legal.

Does anyone know of any real facts, or is it all smoke and mirrors?
Real facts? Hunter's dad might be running against Trump? That about the only one I know of so far.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Backwoodsman1 wrote:
6.Jones wrote:

I might be wrong though.

Bidens were caught holding the parcel when the wheels came off the DC foreign aid kickbacks merry go round. The only thing which will save them is that both sides of the isle have skin in the game, so there will be a degree of fudging. The request is for the companies Hunter is involved in.
More
#BREAKING:

Senators #Grassley and #RonJohnson seek “suspicious activity reports,” or documents that financial institutions file with the #Treasury’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network when a case of #moneylaundering or fraud is suspected

https://saraacarter.com

201 replies2,290 retweets3,611 likes
Reply 201 Retweet 2.3K Like 3.6K
I think this is right. We are starting to see a defence along the lines of 'well everyone was at it show me the crime' emerging. But everyone knows this is ruling class corruption, and the very thing Americans knew was going on all over the place and obviously and clearly want stopped. Hence Trump.

However, when something is this endemic you have to focus where you can. It's why in the wake of financial crises only a few go down and most skip free: the prosecuters have to choose their targets as they only have so many resources. So it's normally some nouveau riche dude who flew too close to the sun and doesn't have the connections to fall back on.

In this case the weakest wildebeast in the herd is the Irish Biden family who jumped on the bandwagon late and have been designated yesterday's old stale pale men. They are the ones left when the music stops.

In the meantime Obama will skip off to his new beach house. It's not good enough to say politicians all get rich: they're not meant to. Gordon Brown stands out as a shining example in modern times as a bad PM, but a good ex-PM. Jimmy Carter too. Funnily enough, Dubya as well.

The glory years of the Obama regime will be remembered for many things: but the over-confident ruling class engorging themselves at the trough in a vast array of cosy back-scratching borderline arrangements will definitely be one of them.

"Show me the corruption!" you may say. It's everywhere; it's in the air you breathe.

Wait. Obama was connected?? :lol:
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »