Champions Cup Final: Racing 92 vs Saracens FC

All things Rugby
Dork Lard

Champions Cup Final: Racing 92 vs Saracens FC

Post by Dork Lard »

Has nobody made a thread for this ?...
Well, anyways:

Almost impossible to decide.
Prrrrrrobbbably the Sarries...as they're more experienced, such a great team right now, etc... but Racing can definitely and will probably make this close, and if so then why not just win it on a couple of late penalties ? Sarries finish very very strong, but Racing have been an easy matchup for absolutely no one in Europe thus far..
Torquemada 1420

Re: Champions Cup Final: Racing 92 vs Saracens FC

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

Dork Lard wrote:Has nobody made a thread for this ?...
The interests levels for both sides are overwhelming. :|
Eight_Eye

Post by Eight_Eye »

I usually support the team with the most Saffers, but I'm backing Racing in this.
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Dork Lard wrote:Has nobody made a thread for this ?...
The interests levels for both sides are overwhelming. :|
Figured... x(

Eight_Eye wrote:I usually support the team with the most Saffers, but I'm backing Racing in this.
hehe...
Well, pretty sure who you'd be supporting for the Challenge Cup final then.

Eh, I gotta say...I find this matchup on paper utterly fascinating. I'm curious who Racing will field in the center, unfortunately they've been quite decimated there.
Saracens are the best team in the continent atm and would probably give CERTAIN int'l sides a run for their money...but at the end of the day the best team is the one that wins the final.
Tough prediction.
Eight_Eye

Post by Eight_Eye »

Dork Lard wrote:
Eh, I gotta say...I find this matchup on paper utterly fascinating. I'm curious who Racing will field in the center, unfortunately they've been quite decimated there.
Don't tell me that Johan Goosen is injured. I know Racing have been playing him at 13 quite often lately.
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

Eight_Eye wrote:
Dork Lard wrote:
Don't tell me that Johan Goosen is injured. I know Racing have been playing him at 13 quite often lately.
lookin out for your own ay ;) nah don't think so. At midfield, Laulala and Chavancy are back in the squad but they're both totally rusty. It's very unfortunate, they were both having a FABULOUS season before the long-term injury.

Funny detail: center Albert Vulivuli can't play because he came at mid-season to Racing and is disqualified from having already played for Clermont at the Champions Cup earlier this year.

I reckon they'll go for 12.Dumoulin 13.Goosen again, same as the semi.
Eight_Eye

Post by Eight_Eye »

Dork Lard wrote:
Eight_Eye wrote:
Dork Lard wrote:
lookin out for your own ay ;) nah don't think so. At midfield, Laulala and Chavancy are back in the squad but they're both totally rusty. It's very unfortunate, they were both having a FABULOUS season before the long-term injury.

Funny detail: center Albert Vulivuli can't play because he came at mid-season to Racing and is disqualified from having already played for Clermont at the Champions Cup earlier this year.

I reckon they'll go for 12.Dumoulin 13.Goosen again, same as the semi.
Good stuff. I'm looking forward to the game and really hope Racing win.
plum-pudding

Post by plum-pudding »

The only question in the Sarries lineup, is whether they bring George back into the starting XV, one game back after the bicep injury. Brits has been going well, but against a big Racing pack, it may be worth the risk to bring the much bigger George straight back in.. should shore up the scrum and give a bit more weight in the tight.
Other than that, the team pretty much picks itself these days.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Is that 17:45 French time or proper time?
Torquemada 1420

Weather looks sh*t for both finals. The boot will be the order of the day.
Plastic Sarrie

Post by Plastic Sarrie »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:Is that 17:45 French time or proper time?
French.

I have horrible visions of Dan Carter, a drop goal and the 79th minute :uhoh:
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

plum-pudding wrote:The only question in the Sarries lineup, is whether they bring George back into the starting XV, one game back after the bicep injury. Brits has been going well, but against a big Racing pack, it may be worth the risk to bring the much bigger George straight back in.. should shore up the scrum and give a bit more weight in the tight.
Other than that, the team pretty much picks itself these days.
I imagine he'll be on the bench.
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:Weather looks sh*t for both finals. The boot will be the order of the day.
Farrell vs Carter is definitely a matchup within the match. Hopefully for Racing, the result will be different for Carter's team than the last time these two faced off, in Twickenham 4 years ago...

If there's rain and shyt on the ground and everything, I reckon this favors Saracens.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Sarries +7 in a low scoring match
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

Farrell vs Carter is definitely a matchup within the match.
until farrell clotheslines carter and both have to leave the pitch for the remainder of the game
Toulon's Not Toulouse

Post by Toulon's Not Toulouse »

Feel Sarries have been knocking at the door long enough that they'd deserve something to show for it, like Munster (succesfully) or Clermont (less so successfully) before them.
Torquemada 1420

No doubt that Sarries have been the best side in the NH this season. And if they'd have faced anyone other than Racing, I reckon that would have been it. However, as posted early in comp., Racing are the one side capable of defeating Sarries because they are so similar. The Lyon bit also evens things up.

Given the rain, had Racing gone with Machenaud/Carter/Tales (12)/Goosen (FB), I'd have had them to shade it because of the multiple kicking options this offers them. Let's face it, this is unlikely to be an expansive game. Both teams will play territory/possession. Let's see the Laurents' selection first.
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

SaintK wrote:Sarries +7 in a low scoring match
7...- 0 ???..
Torquemada 1420 wrote: Given the rain, had Racing gone with Machenaud/Carter/Tales (12)/Goosen (FB), I'd have had them to shade it because of the multiple kicking options this offers them. Let's face it, this is unlikely to be an expansive game. Both teams will play territory/possession. Let's see the Laurents' selection first.
ehh bu..wh...hold up now ! Game ain't played and lost yet !!!
And yes of course it *should* be tight-ass Rugby. It's a Euro final...unless one team carries out the perfect half and with a nice cushion gains mental advantage over the other and then opens dat moshpit up in the second half - which could absolutely totally happen, in finals the leadup to the game is tense (excuse me, a Captcha popped up here....) yeah so the leadup is tense and both teams are at the threshold emotionally, sometimes there's just an utter explosion and one team totally takes over...

Anyways this is when Carter's transfer over to Paris will have meant something or nothing. Nobody will remember "Dan Carter comes over and helps Racing make the final". His experience in a final will be enormous, just from an emotional/maturity psychological standpoint going into this and playing with composure. Tales has been very good for e.g. this year but he never would bring as much serenity to his squad as Dan Carter, let alone the quality of his game.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Is it a sell out?
Toulon's Not Toulouse

Post by Toulon's Not Toulouse »

Floppykid wrote:Is it a sell out?
Carter?
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Neither BT or Sky have been giving this a lot of hype, which is one of the major failings of the competition imo.

When Sky had it all you sure as feck knew that it was a HEC weekend and when the quarters, semis and finals are, as it is a casual fan probably doesn't realise it's on.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

Toulon's Not Toulouse wrote:
Floppykid wrote:Is it a sell out?
Carter?
:lol:
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Dork Lard wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:Weather looks sh*t for both finals. The boot will be the order of the day.
Farrell vs Carter is definitely a matchup within the match. Hopefully for Racing, the result will be different for Carter's team than the last time these two faced off, in Twickenham 4 years ago...

If there's rain and shyt on the ground and everything, I reckon this favors Saracens.
Yes, because Saracens play all their home games on a bog :lol:
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Plastic Sarrie wrote:
French.

Why. Has that ever happened? And you don't have to worry about the old fart taking the line on.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Eight_Eye wrote:
Dork Lard wrote:
He's been playing well too....
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRug ... g-20160512
Winger_

Post by Winger_ »

Sarries have been the best side in the comp and I think they'll see it through. Sarries foward pack should be enough to win it for them.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

earl the beaver wrote:Neither BT or Sky have been giving this a lot of hype, which is one of the major failings of the competition imo.

When Sky had it all you sure as feck knew that it was a HEC weekend and when the quarters, semis and finals are, as it is a casual fan probably doesn't realise it's on.
it's an unmitigated disaster. Sarries will win and nobody will care.
Torquemada 1420

Enzedder wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:
French.

Why. Has that ever happened? And you don't have to worry about the old fart taking the line on.
Something Farrell is incapable of. Farrell was schooled by one old dog when he met Wilkinson and every chance of the same.
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

Winger_ wrote:Sarries have been the best side in the comp and I think they'll see it through. Sarries foward pack should be enough to win it for them.
Yeah...I think it's all there if you had to make just two succinct sentences about this matchup.

And btw, y'all back off of Farrell. I know he's not too popular, for various reasons, but he's a good kid. And for his athletic/imaginative limitations, he's a DAMN good flyhalf and player overall. He controlled his temper issues almost immediately (unless I missed a MAJOR setback from Prem) and it takes a lot because obviously that anger is still within him, it doesn't just...leave like that, so he's being a composed pro athlete about it, and he *might* (MIGHT) look like an absolute psychopath when he's kicking penalties, but by Jupiter at least he fkng makes them. I bet a lot of teams would like to have him eat their stock of cheese.
*sigh* no, not stock of cheese..... would like to have him kick their penalties (it rhymes, a bit, so ...got mixed up..)
Plus, who wouldn't want to go to the prom with this nice healthy young man ? I mean seriously.
TokenSarriesFan

Post by TokenSarriesFan »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:
French.

Something Farrell is incapable of. Farrell was schooled by one old dog when he met Wilkinson and every chance of the same.
If nothing else this comment shows that either A. you have no f**king clue what your talking about or B. You haven't watched a single Sarries game all year.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

It's NTHCSBH final w/e.

There's been fúck all marketing of this. I've been to two HEC finals, and so I assume would be known to the organisers, and have received nada concerning this.
LeinsterLion

Post by LeinsterLion »

obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Where are the team sheets?
Plastic Sarrie

Post by Plastic Sarrie »

Sarries are usually midday today
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

TokenSarriesFan wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:
French.

If nothing else this comment shows that either A. you have no f**k clue what your talking about or B. You haven't watched a single Sarries game all year.
Indeed. I've never rated Faz but he's playing some super stuff right now.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

camroc1 wrote:It's NTHCSBH final w/e.

There's been fúck all marketing of this. I've been to two HEC finals, and so I assume would be known to the organisers, and have received nada concerning this.
Farcical, isn't it?
Still, at least lots of people are making money, right guys?
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Well this thread's buzzin hard.
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

ASMO wrote:I'll be rooting for Racing
But...would you be racing for rootbeer ?
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

You used to see posters for the HEC final in Dublin on buses, bus stops and billboards, I haven't seen, or don't recall, seeing any for this. Likewise I haven't seen much marketing on TV, some stuff online, and alot of stuff on Facebook.

Seems like the move to Switzerland bankrupted their marketing budget. Honestly I don't think I'll even tune in for this, and I tuned for Stade vs Toulouse in 2005.
plum-pudding

Post by plum-pudding »

15 Alex Goode (206)
14 Chris Ashton (96)
13 Duncan Taylor (89)
12 Brad Barritt (c) (168)
11 Chris Wyles (205)
10 Owen Farrell (132)
9 Richard Wigglesworth (152)
1 Mako Vunipola (97)
2 Schalk Brits (168)