The true face of brexit supporters ?

All things Rugby
BetterByBoat

The true face of brexit supporters ?

Post by BetterByBoat »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 04191.html

So much for striking against the establishment ... little Britain .. or should that be little bigot ...
openclashXX

Re: The true face of brexit supporters ?

Post by openclashXX »

Not all Brexiters are racist

But all racists did vote for Brexit
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

My God England really is an awful shithole.
Womack

Post by Womack »

I'm finding these stories the most tiresome aspect of the post-Brexit social media backlash.

It's hardly as if pre-referendum Britain was a utopia of racial tolerance and goodwill. The fact that the pre-existing abusive morons have some new, topical material is hardly indicative of 'the way things are going', except of course in the self-fulfilling sense of a new narrative forming.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

iarmhiman wrote:My God England really is an awful shithole.
Let's not forget that 16m of us voted to remain.

The report is very disturbing though not entirely surprising - most countries have a nasty minority - ours have just been stoked up by the likes of Boris and Nige.
Silver

Post by Silver »

Womack wrote:I'm finding these stories the most tiresome aspect of the post-Brexit social media backlash.

It's hardly as if pre-referendum Britain was a utopia of racial tolerance and goodwill. The fact that the pre-existing abusive morons have some new, topical material is hardly indicative of 'the way things are going', except of course in the self-fulfilling sense of a new narrative forming.
of course it was. In the EU people in the UK only felt bliss and love for everyone. It's all changed now.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Womack wrote:I'm finding these stories the most tiresome aspect of the post-Brexit social media backlash.

Dangerous complacency and no little naivety there, womack. Brexit have won, it's time for the immigrants to go home. That's what they voted for, so why isn't happening?
0ber0n

Post by 0ber0n »

Yaaaawwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
0ber0n

Post by 0ber0n »

Gavin Duffy wrote:

Dangerous complacency and no little naivety there, womack. Brexit have won, it's time for the immigrants to go home. That's what they voted for, so why isn't happening?
Unregulated immigration is good only for wealthy ppl that blame the poor of being racist but then send their sons to private schools and pay thousand pounds in welfare substitutes (health insurance, private pensions etc.)
Last edited by 0ber0n on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver

Post by Silver »

Gavin Duffy wrote:

of course that's what leave campaigned for :roll:
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

More bigotry about bigotry - you're shameless - take a look at your attitude and contrast it with the people you seem to dislike so strongly.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

0ber0n wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:

Unregulated immigration is good only for wealthy ppl that blame the poor of being racist but then send their sons to private schools and pay thousand pounds in welfare substitutes (health insurance, private pensions etc.)
Hmm, would I be allowed to call you a racist I wonder. Probably best not to push my luck.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

SamShark wrote:
More bigotry about bigotry - you're shameless - take a look at your attitude and contrast it with the people you seem to dislike so strongly.
Well said.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

ovalball wrote:
SamShark wrote:
Well said.
Well said and absolutely true that most British people are decent folk. It is worrying that the result of the referendum may embolden some of your less intelligent citizens, though.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Several BME friends of mine report being the target of much more open and hostile abuse in public over the last couple of days than they recall encountering before the vote (though I look forward to having it explained to me that they're imagining it or lying). It seems pretty facile, if not outright denialist, to suggest that this result won't have emboldened racists. Hopefully it's a brief aberration
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

This referendum is a lightening rod for all sorts of views.

Racists will feel validated and empowered.

People who feel wronged by leave voters will reach out/do something visible in their own way, such as the pretty large scale marches being planned for London/Trafalgar square.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

SamShark wrote:This referendum is a lightening rod for all sorts of views.

People who feel wronged by leave voters will reach out/do something visible in their own way, such as the pretty large scale marches being planned for London/Trafalgar square.
Those examples are hardly comparable, Sam.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Chuckles1188 wrote:Several BME friends of mine report being the target of much more open and hostile abuse in public over the last couple of days than they recall encountering before the vote (though I look forward to having it explained to me that they're imagining it or lying). It seems pretty facile, if not outright denialist, to suggest that this result won't have emboldened racists. Hopefully it's a brief aberration
Wait until they realise that they won't get what they thought they voted for...
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

Chuckles1188 wrote:Several BME friends of mine report being the target of much more open and hostile abuse in public over the last couple of days than they recall encountering before the vote (though I look forward to having it explained to me that they're imagining it or lying). It seems pretty facile, if not outright denialist, to suggest that this result won't have emboldened racists. Hopefully it's a brief aberration
My son's school had a fair on Sunday and the wife was talking to parents from all over Europe, none of whom have been abused but all who feel hurt by the vote.

Many Londoners, myself included, feel more connection/affinity with the people we see every day from all over the world, rather than small minded idiots like Farage, who I have nothing in common with whatsoever.
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

Sefton wrote:

Explain?
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

SamShark wrote:
Sefton wrote:

Explain?
Well one is perfectly legal and withing the traditions of our democratic system and the other is illegal and immoral.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

openclashXX wrote:Not all Brexiters are racist

No they didn't...that particular bunch of racists that would happily see us all blown off the face of the planet backed Remain.
Radical Islamic preacher Anjem Choudary for Remain as EU 'stops prosecution of Islamists' and ‘stops unfair deportations’

Choudary was asked if he preferred the European Court’s stance on Islamic extremism to that of the British Government.

He said: “I think that it probably is. There are certain principles and caveats [within EU legislation] that should prevent that [prosecution of Islamists] happening.”
Last edited by Rugby2023 on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C69

Post by C69 »

ZappaMan wrote:
ovalball wrote:
SamShark wrote:
Well said.
Well said and absolutely true that most British people are decent folk. It is worrying that the result of the referendum may embolden some of your less intelligent citizens, though.
If you think that racism is the sole preserve of the less intelligent in society then you are a bigoted prick.
Give yourself an uppercut
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Compared to the UK the incidents of reported racist crimes in Ireland is lower.

https://youtu.be/88vT6RBnoC4?t=72
0ber0n

Post by 0ber0n »

Gavin Duffy wrote:
0ber0n wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:

Hmm, would I be allowed to call you a racist I wonder. Probably best not to push my luck.
It s your problem how you want to call me, I don t give a damn of your opinion ;). Incredibly I may call you racist as well but I do not think that would touch you either. Am I correct?
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

Sefton: I just meant that people will respond to show what they feel.

Increasingly excitable bigots like iarmhiman will see England as descending into a race-hate hell hole but for every dickhead shouting at Polish people there are many people outwardly demonstrating they welcome immigration/their neighbours.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Rugby2023 wrote:
openclashXX wrote:Not all Brexiters are racist

No they didn't...that particular bunch of racists that would happily see us all blown off the face of the planet backed Remain.
Radical Islamic preacher Anjem Choudary for Remain as EU 'stops prosecution of Islamists' and ‘stops unfair deportations’

Choudary was asked if he preferred the European Court’s stance on Islamic extremism to that of the British Government.

He said: “I think that it probably is. There are certain principles and caveats [within EU legislation] that should prevent that [prosecution of Islamists] happening.”
Riiiighttt.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

c69 wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
ovalball wrote:
SamShark wrote:
Well said.
If you think that racism is the sole preserve of the less intelligent in society then you are a bigoted prick.
6 day ban for abusing a mod and encouraging self abuse.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

c69 wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
ovalball wrote:
SamShark wrote:
Well said.
Jaysus :lol:
Conservative Eddie

Post by Conservative Eddie »

Anecdotally at least, it appears that this campaign, with its strong focus on immigration, and the popularity of Trump in the States has emboldened a lot of people with, well... crude opinions.

It certainly appears to be the case online - I'm reading more comments from a new archetype of obnoxiousness that encompasses a little bit of misogyny, casual racism, homophobia and a desire for a "strong man" leader. And free speech to this new breed means the right to say these things free from any criticism whatsoever.

Rabble rousing and demagoguery do have consequences.
Last edited by Conservative Eddie on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

0ber0n wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:
0ber0n wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:

It s your problem how you want to call me, I don t give a damn of your opinion ;). Incredibly I may call you racist as well but I do not think that would touch you either. Am I correct?
Agreed.
henry

Post by henry »

I'm just going to put the increasingly distasteful comments of some Irish down to the pressure of events.

They have not had a good weekend.

I think they will regret their commentary in time.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

My sister leaves in Sheffield and works in a small veterinary practice.

She posted a comment on Facebook but it went something like this the day after the referendum when there was a big argument between her and her mates:

A local UKIP councilor asked her in the practice if she was going to vote. She said she would vote to remain. The UKIP councilor replied back " You know why the grass is greener in Ireland? Because you send over so may to trample on ours".

In all fairness she has been there 5+ years and that is the only time she has got anything like that and she loves it there, all her friends are mainly English but shite like that still leaves a bitter taste.
Last edited by iarmhiman on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

Conservative Eddie wrote:Anecdotally at least, it appears that this campaign, with its strong focus on immigration and the popularity of Trump in the States has emboldened a lot of people with, well... crude opinions.

It certainly appears to be the case online - I'm reading more comments from a new archetype of obnoxiousness that encompasses a little bit of misogyny, casual racism, homophobia and a desire for a "strong man" leader. And free speech to this new breed means the right to say these things free from any criticism whatsoever.

Rabble rousing and demagoguery do have consequences.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36633605
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

SamShark wrote:
My son's school had a fair on Sunday and the wife was talking to parents from all over Europe, none of whom have been abused but all who feel hurt by the vote.

Many Londoners, myself included, feel more connection/affinity with the people we see every day from all over the world, rather than small minded idiots like Farage, who I have nothing in common with whatsoever.
None of the friends in question live in London, and London was far more convincingly in favour of Remain than any of the places where my friends do live. Anyway, getting into rows about the broader applicability of anecdotal evidence is a mug's game. I'm not for a second suggesting that just because it's happened to people I know that must mean it's happening everywhere or in significant numbers. Though, of course, it could be
C69

Post by C69 »

No Zappa I am not a modern day Jesus just a prophet.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Gavin Duffy wrote:

That is not what I voted for but do carry on
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Look busy, the IRA are here.
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
SamShark wrote:

None of the friends in question live in London, and London was far more convincingly in favour of Remain than any of the places where my friends do live. Anyway, getting into rows about the broader applicability of anecdotal evidence is a mug's game. I'm not for a second suggesting that just because it's happened to people I know that must mean it's happening everywhere or in significant numbers. Though, of course, it could be
I'm not denying anything has happened - it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if after being fed a diet of "Immigrants are f**king up the country" by certain "leaders" for months, some racists will see this as a great opportunity to celebrate vocally.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

c69 wrote:No Zappa I am not a modern day Jesus just a prophet.
You are a modern day abuser of grammar.