Suicides

All things Rugby
Brumbieman

Suicides

Post by Brumbieman »

Some guy at work this morning jumped off a crane on site and topped himself. Landed where i was unloading a delivery not 2 minutes earlier :(

Why do people do this shit in such a way ffs :? What a way to ring in the weekend :((
guy smiley

Re: Suicides

Post by guy smiley »

It does sound terribly inconsiderate of him.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Selfish plum.

That does sound pretty grim though, frightening how desperate life can get for some. Imagine working yourself up to jump off a crane.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Dumbledore wrote:Selfish plum.

That does sound pretty grim though, frightening how desperate life can get for some. Imagine working yourself up to jump off a crane.
No chance that he slipped and fell in a genuine accident?
Brumbieman

Post by Brumbieman »

No. Climbed out if the cabin. Saw hjm dojng it but didn't thjnk twice, just thought he was climbing down. Took a load inside, started stackjng it all up and then heard shouting :((
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Shit - sad that people get to that point without reaching out for help.
globus

Post by globus »

My mum was on a bus at the top of the Guildhall in Norwich when a bloke chucked himself off the clock-tower at The City Hall.

He landed on the roof of the bus, just above where my mum was sitting.

I hope you have all the support you need, as she needed. These things are often unfathomable. Best wishes, fellow rugby chap.

I am a bit religious, so a word has gone above to Him.
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Brumbieman wrote:Some guy at work this morning jumped off a crane on site and topped himself. Landed where i was unloading a delivery not 2 minutes earlier :(

Why do people do this shit in such a way ffs :? What a way to ring in the weekend :((

We live in an apartment building. A couple of years ago a woman jumped from the 10th floor and landed in the driveway.

A friend of ours had her young grand-daughter staying. She happened to be on the balcony looking out when the woman plummeted past.

We heard the thud. Fortunately for us the driveway is on the other side of the building, out of our line of sight.

Bloody awful. Not the first in the building, either, apparently there was one 15 years ago.
Don

Post by Don »

kiwinoz wrote:Shit - sad that people get to that point without reaching out for help.
You can't know that. Lots of people reach out for help but that help might not be adequate or effective.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

My mate is a fireman in London, and he reckons he spends an inordinate amount of time peeling people off the front of tube trains. x(
globus

Post by globus »

Just dropping the Management off to Peterborough Station a few years ago and there was a commotion all around and we missed the booked slot. (Not a big deal really.)

This got to me. A girl, aged 14 had slung herself off the top storey of the neighbouring car park. 14. No words, no explanation.

You peer at your belly button and wonder how you might have prevented that. In my case it's very pertinent as I quite possibly might have stopped a member of my staff from this and that.

You get the picture.

It's just a truth that you cannot see into people's minds.

Someone I know collected on the bonnet of his car, a chap who dropped off a bridge on the M1.

I've been stuck in a tube train going to Euston for hours.

I'm like Kate Adie (who smoked like a chimney and lived next to my surgeon pal in Rutland).

Not good news really.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

This talk of "selfish so and so" is misplaced. Rational people trying to analyse irrational thinking. Mental illness is exactly that, an illness.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Brumbieman wrote:Some guy at work this morning jumped off a crane on site and topped himself. Landed where i was unloading a delivery not 2 minutes earlier :(

Do you really think people that are in the frame of mind that they are taking their own life really consider your fcuking weekend? DO you think the mental anguish they are suffering allows them to consider the way in which they escape that suffering? People who complain that jumpers make their train late etc.. Jesus fcuking Christ man get some perspective.
globus

Post by globus »

Jeff the Bear wrote:My mate is a fireman in London, and he reckons he spends an inordinate amount of time peeling people off the front of tube trains. x(
I'm inordinately grateful that the fire brigade peeled the poor lad off the lift buffers in Manchester, before I got there. It wasn't a suicide, he was riding on the trailing cables.

Pointless deaths seem to follow me around.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

jdogscoop wrote:This talk of "selfish so and so" is misplaced. Rational people trying to analyse irrational thinking. Mental illness is exactly that, an illness.

Spot on.
Don

Post by Don »

jdogscoop wrote:This talk of "selfish so and so" is misplaced. Rational people trying to analyse irrational thinking. Mental illness is exactly that, an illness.
Brumbieman is a young tyke, iirc. Probably lacks empathy at this early stage in his life. Similar to his stablemate Dumbledore who is fattist and doesn't know what's in store for him later.
Last edited by Don on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
globus

Post by globus »

HKCJ wrote:

Do you really think people that are in the frame of mind that they are taking their own life really consider your fcuking weekend? DO you think the mental anguish they are suffering allows them to consider the way in which they escape that suffering? People who complain that jumpers make their train late etc.. Jesus fcuking Christ man get some perspective.
Out of order HKCJ. Get a proper perspective yourself.

If I wanted to go, I doubt it would be at the expense of others close to me in a physical way. Inevitably it means some kind of explanation to those who care.

The Management would probably expect a sworn affidavit.

As it happens, there's no immediate intention of meeting the Archangel but recently I've sadly witnessed those who would rather go that route than face pain and suffering.

A big area for proper discussion. I'm probably not up to it.
globus

Post by globus »

HKCJ wrote:

Spot on.
Reckon so too.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

You tell me I'm out of order telling Brumbieman not to put suicide down to selfishness and then you agree its often down to mental illness Globus. Great consistency there. Still at least you got a couple of good anecdotes in :thumbup:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Me me me meeee
Me me me meeee
Me me me me (me me me me, me me me me)
Me me me meeeeeeeeeee

[/globus out]
Working Class Rugger

Post by Working Class Rugger »

I've dealt with anxiety and depression for a while now but regardless of how down I've previously felt I've never gotten to the point of suicide. So to find yourself in that headspace must be frightening.

Evidently it's quite common for train drivers to have at best near misses with people throwing themselves at trains. I've actually m r t a bloke who quit after the fourth time someone jumped in front of his training and successfully killed themselves.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

I really really really doubt Bman is actually saying the guy was selfish. More a way of blunting the horror by being a bit flippant.
globus

Post by globus »

HKCJ wrote:You tell me I'm out of order telling Brumbieman not to put suicide down to selfishness and then you agree its often down to mental illness Globus. Great consistency there. Still at least you got a couple of good anecdotes in :thumbup:
That's what I do HKCJ. Hate to disappoint.

It's a really interesting thought that some suicides are "selfish". Dr David Kelly might have had a word about that, if he hadn't been successful.

His personal demise might be explainable but quite a lot of people who decide to end their lives leave little trace of the reason.

A local GP decided to go after he was the subject of a possible claim for misdiagnosis.

He did the whisky and insulin method. A wife and three kids didn't figure in the equation it transpired.

What on earth was going on in his mind? A failure to balance life's idiosyncrasies?

I'm not exactly under the massive cosh just yet but I'll not abandon other things I hold dear.

I have a duty to perform and if it takes a bit of pain, I'll take the parrots eat them all.

I'm a skipper. I'm the very last one to go down with the ship. It is my responsibility to look after others.

How people can muddle matters in their minds is a constant misery.
globus

Post by globus »

jdogscoop wrote:Me me me meeee
Me me me meeee
Me me me meeeeeeeeeee

[/globus out]
Yep. It's always about me. I know him quite well. You don't.
Brumbieman

Post by Brumbieman »

FHHD

:(
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

globus wrote:
Me me me meeee
Me me me meeeeeeeeeee

[/globus out]
I'm sure you'll have no trouble filling in the gaps.
globus

Post by globus »

Brumbieman wrote:FHHD

:(
Bit dodgy.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

I actually put the G man on ignore a while back.

It's remarkable, the difference it makes.
Brumbieman

Post by Brumbieman »

HKCJ wrote:You tell me I'm out of order telling Brumbieman not to put suicide down to selfishness and then you agree its often down to mental illness Globus. Great consistency there. Still at least you got a couple of good anecdotes in :thumbup:

Wasnt having a go at him mate. Just a bit shocked by it
globus

Post by globus »

jdogscoop wrote:
globus wrote:
Me me me meeee
Me me me meeeeeeeeeee

[/globus out]
I'm sure you'll have no trouble filling in the gaps.
Quite right. I have Polyfilla in tubs here. I also have a few nice lines to go in a disco between records.

I'm fill in anthropic too. Generous to a fault. Second serve to you.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

I worked at a hardware store after school in my youth. There was a guy a couple of years older who worked in the paint department who we all thought was hard case. One day he made a good dent in a bottle of whiskey, took a gun and shot himself, landing on a deliberately placed number 8 pool ball.

That was a bit of a shocker for a 17-year old lad living in a small town.
globus

Post by globus »

guy smiley wrote:I actually put the G man on ignore a while back.

It's remarkable, the difference it makes.
I like "remarkable". Puts you in your place eh?
shanky

Post by shanky »

guy smiley wrote:It does sound terribly inconsiderate of him.

I shouldn't...but :lol:
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

I read an article in "The New Yorker" about a study that had been carried out on suicides from the Golden Gate Bridge.

The saddest case was of a relatively young man whose body was fished out. he had items in his pockets that enabled an id to be made. When his dwelling place was opened up, there was a note on the bedside table saying "I am going to walk to the bridge now. If one person speaks to me or even smiles at me before I get there I won't jump".
globus

Post by globus »

I used to work in The Norfolk and Norwich hospital in the mortuary.

I did so because I wanted to learn to be a surgeon and you start with anatomy.

Part of my job, often at night, was the preparation of bodies for examination.

They arrive in all different ways. I'll leave it there. Have your own opinion about me.

I'm on a rugby site, not a social blog network. Let's move on.
shanky

Post by shanky »

globus wrote:I used to work in The Norfolk and Norwich hospital in the mortuary.

They arrive in all different ways. I'll leave it there. Have your own opinion about me.

So you were a trainee surgeon?

Was this before or after you negotiated Britain's entry into the EU?
fraz

Post by fraz »

globus wrote:I used to work in The Norfolk and Norwich hospital in the mortuary.

I'm actually super confused by this post. He's not saying he fucked them, is he?
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

fraz wrote:

I'm actually super confused by this post. He's not saying he fucked them, is he?
:lol:
shanky

Post by shanky »

fraz wrote:

Maybe that's what toffs say instead of cum.

Have you arrived yet, dear?
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

shanky wrote:

So you were a trainee surgeon?

Was this before or after you negotiated Britain's entry into the EU?
While playing flyhalf for the Lions and hobnobbing with the country's elite.