The official "Low and Slow" BBQ thread

All things Rugby
bimboman

Re: The official "Low and Slow" BBQ thread

Post by bimboman »

Smoked 1/2 a dozen partridge crowns last week, not perfect and will need some work on temps and times. Also they'll need brining.

Can anyone suggest a brine % water to sale and sugar ?
pjm1

Post by pjm1 »

bimboman wrote:Smoked 1/2 a dozen partridge crowns last week, not perfect and will need some work on temps and times. Also they'll need brining.

Depends on how long you're brining. I've found using standard solutions and leaving in too long makes it far too salty, even when washed.

Have some pheasant coming tomorrow from a pal who was out at the weekend - I'm undecided how I'll cook them but it ain't going to be roasted because I CBA plucking so it's skin off. At least I can chase the kids around the garden with the guts though.
onejuicyone

Post by onejuicyone »

I bought myself a Kamado Joe (big Joe) a few years back and have since cooked approx 40 beef 5 ribbers and legs of lamb in it.

The first one I did was a complete disaster (I over salted the meet to the point that we could eat the fucken thing!!!)

But since that one I reckon I've got down pat now.

I always like buying a full 5 rib of beef and get the butcher to hang it for me for 4-6 weeks (the joints range from 7kg - 10.5kg)
I take the beef out of the fridge approx 10-12hrs before cooking and season it, I dress the beef in olive oil, then rub smoked paprika, coarse sea salt, pepper, 4 x bulbs of finely chopped garlic and 2 x bunches of thyme finely chopped.

I only ever use natural hardwood charcoal, and for a bit of an extra flavor kick I throw in a few pieces of mesquite charcoal.
I cook the beef for approx 5-7hrs depending on the size of the joint at 95c (you have to spend a fair bit of time at the BBQ watching temp for the first hour or so until it settles down then you can leave it be, maybe checking every half hour or so, I also like to baste the beef every hour or so using its own juices)

Once the internal temp of the meat reaches 52c, I pull it out and rest it for approx 30-40min loosely covering it in foil.
Once its carved up I drizzle over the beef in its own juices

For my leg of lamb, I take it out of the fridge approx 4-5hrs before cooking.
I dress it in olive oil, course sea salt, pepper, 1-2 bulbs of garlic and 2 x large bunches of rosemary finely chopped. Just before I stick it in the BBQ I squeeze 3 or 4 lemons all over it.
cooking time takes between 1.5 - 2hrs at 95 degrees. I like to baste the lamb every 30min in its own juices.
Once the internal temp hits 60c I pull it out and rest it for approx 30min)
Once its carved up I drizzle over the lamb in its own juices

I've tried pork a few times now and never nailed it :evil: Fish, chicken and prawns have turned out fantastic though.

I normally feed around 20 people at a time. I run a bar and like to look after my staff by cooking them a decent meal every month or so.
All I ask for in return is that they roll me up a joint or 2 then clean up the mess after wood.
onejuicyone

Post by onejuicyone »

Ive used cherry wood and apple wood shavings, for those I soak them for a day before cooking, then stick them in a ball of foil and poke holes in the foil, I make 3-4 of these and just throw in the BBQ every hour or so
onejuicyone wrote:I bought myself a Kamado Joe (big Joe) a few years back and have since cooked approx 40 beef 5 ribbers and legs of lamb in it.

The first one I did was a complete disaster (I over salted the meet to the point that we could eat the fucken thing!!!)

But since that one I reckon I've got down pat now.

I always like buying a full 5 rib of beef and get the butcher to hang it for me for 4-6 weeks (the joints range from 7kg - 10.5kg)
I take the beef out of the fridge approx 10-12hrs before cooking and season it, I dress the beef in olive oil, then rub smoked paprika, coarse sea salt, pepper, 4 x bulbs of finely chopped garlic and 2 x bunches of thyme finely chopped.

I only ever use natural hardwood charcoal, and for a bit of an extra flavor kick I throw in a few pieces of mesquite charcoal.
I cook the beef for approx 5-7hrs depending on the size of the joint at 95c (you have to spend a fair bit of time at the BBQ watching temp for the first hour or so until it settles down then you can leave it be, maybe checking every half hour or so, I also like to baste the beef every hour or so using its own juices)

Once the internal temp of the meat reaches 52c, I pull it out and rest it for approx 30-40min loosely covering it in foil.
Once its carved up I drizzle over the beef in its own juices

For my leg of lamb, I take it out of the fridge approx 4-5hrs before cooking.
I dress it in olive oil, course sea salt, pepper, 1-2 bulbs of garlic and 2 x large bunches of rosemary finely chopped. Just before I stick it in the BBQ I squeeze 3 or 4 lemons all over it.
cooking time takes between 1.5 - 2hrs at 95 degrees. I like to baste the lamb every 30min in its own juices.
Once the internal temp hits 60c I pull it out and rest it for approx 30min)
Once its carved up I drizzle over the lamb in its own juices

I've tried pork a few times now and never nailed it :evil: Fish, chicken and prawns have turned out fantastic though.

I normally feed around 20 people at a time. I run a bar and like to look after my staff by cooking them a decent meal every month or so.
All I ask for in return is that they roll me up a joint or 2 then clean up the mess after wood.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

pjm1 wrote:
bimboman wrote:Smoked 1/2 a dozen partridge crowns last week, not perfect and will need some work on temps and times. Also they'll need brining.

Depends on how long you're brining. I've found using standard solutions and leaving in too long makes it far too salty, even when washed.

Have some pheasant coming tomorrow from a pal who was out at the weekend - I'm undecided how I'll cook them but it ain't going to be roasted because I CBA plucking so it's skin off. At least I can chase the kids around the garden with the guts though.

You use the stand on wings and pull method ? If they're this years birds then they make a Loverly curry or even Thai dish quickly stir fried.
gtb

Post by gtb »

So, Mrs GTB bought me a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker/bbq for Christmas. I'd looked at them a couple of years back but a cancer put me off solid food for 18 months but that's not a problem anymore. Also threw in the book Meathead which I've started to read. Constructed the bbq yesterday and seasoned it.

While I make a pathetic effort to read the book I was wondering if the more experienced pitmasters on here have some advice on where to go next. Mrs GTB loves brisket but that expensive here in Aussie and I was thinking I'd start off with something uncomplicated plus maybe some advice on how much charcoal/briquettes I need from anyone else who owns ones a Smokey Mountain e.g. how often to top up and so forth.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Will post a bunch of stuff later or tomorrow for you.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Where in Oz are you? I can recommend a few good butchers around the place, but for brisket what you need to try and find is some Sher Wagyu for that, it's the best brisket out there IMO.

Get yourself one of these as well, makes starting the thing easier. https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/how-to ... ey-starter

In terms of filling up, I have an 18 inch ProQ smoker and I will use about 6-8kg for a cook, but the coals will last a full 20-24 hours, even though the food is done in about 12-14. Better safe than sorry. Just learn how to use your vents and you should be able to get the same out of your coals. What size WSM did you get?

Start off with a chicken or some pork scotch (neck) to make pulled pork. Both of these are pretty forgiving and hard to get wrong.

Also get wood chunks, not chips, and don't bother soaking them either. Just put the chunks onto the coals about 15-30 minutes before the food is going on.
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

gtb wrote:So, Mrs GTB bought me a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker/bbq for Christmas. I'd looked at them a couple of years back but a cancer put me off solid food for 18 months but that's not a problem anymore. Also threw in the book Meathead which I've started to read. Constructed the bbq yesterday and seasoned it.

While I make a pathetic effort to read the book I was wondering if the more experienced pitmasters on here have some advice on where to go next. Mrs GTB loves brisket but that expensive here in Aussie and I was thinking I'd start off with something uncomplicated plus maybe some advice on how much charcoal/briquettes I need from anyone else who owns ones a Smokey Mountain e.g. how often to top up and so forth.
Get a good thermometer, the thermometer in the lid will be wildly inaccurate. Meathead is very good and his tips have stood me in good stead. I have smoked small pieces of brisket with some success before, but beef cheeks are also very good - cook them at 225F for five or six hours, wrapping them in foil after two or three depending how smoky you like your meat. Chicken is also an easy starting point to get you used to your WSM.

In terms of charcoal, I favour the Weber briquettes, though a lot of people like Aussie heatbeads and I've used them with reasonable success before. Follow Meathead's tips on set up as a rule of thumb. I always use the donut minion method (unlit briquettes round the outside, one third to a half full starter of lit coals in the centre) as it gets up to temperature quicker. It'll take a while to get used to controlling the heat, and you'll also find where you position the cooker and climactic conditions will influence your heat control, but after a few cooks you'll get the hang of it.
tc27

Post by tc27 »

I use this probe which is on offer at the moment:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermoPro-TP-0 ... ture+probe
OttawaKat

Post by OttawaKat »

gtb wrote:So, Mrs GTB bought me a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker/bbq for Christmas. I'd looked at them a couple of years back but a cancer put me off solid food for 18 months but that's not a problem anymore. Also threw in the book Meathead which I've started to read. Constructed the bbq yesterday and seasoned it.

Look up the virtual Weber bullet website and learn the minion method for charcoal.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/

That’s a nice piece of equipment you have.
gtb

Post by gtb »

Hi guys,

thanks for all those replies!
ElementFreak wrote:Where in Oz are you? I can recommend a few good butchers around the place, but for brisket what you need to try and find is some Sher Wagyu for that, it's the best brisket out there IMO.
Sydney, inner west. We still use a nice butcher in Rozelle and I'm sure if we asked for something he'd get it for us but I think Mrs GTB was hoping to find a place where she could, in a manner of speaking, see the meat. She used to work in restaurant management before she came to Sydney and has an eye for that kind of thing. She loves brisket and beef ribs and has a particular inclination for burnt ends.

Being a Kansas City Chiefs fan I've informed her that Kansas City is a bit of a home for burnt ends and that we should do a mid-west bbq tour timed for, at a rough guess, early September and a Chiefs home game :)
ElementFreak wrote:Just put the chunks onto the coals about 15-30 minutes before the food is going on
Roger that.
OttawaKat wrote:Look up the virtual Weber bullet website and learn the minion method for charcoal.
Thanks for that. It seems plausible enough
Brazil wrote: I always use the donut minion method (unlit briquettes round the outside, one third to a half full starter of lit coals in the centre) as it gets up to temperature quicker. It'll take a while to get used to controlling the heat
Double thanks. The temperature management thing concerns me the most since I don't fancy checking it every 30 minutes. As you say, it'll take a few cooks to get the hang of it and how to use the vents effectively.
pjm1

Post by pjm1 »

bimboman wrote:
pjm1 wrote:

You use the stand on wings and pull method ? If they're this years birds then they make a Loverly curry or even Thai dish quickly stir fried.
Actually I didn't but that was because I wanted to keep the carcass in shape. One of them was quite badly shot up (and must have fell heavily) so I wanted to go easy.

Ended up confiting the legs (lovely) and doing the breasts in a water bath and finished in a pan. Lovely - have another three birds all prepped and bagged in the freezer ready for cooking!
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Bump

I acquired a Large Big Green Egg recently. I have the 3-2-1 Texas Crutch ribs down pretty well, but I haven't gone for the 8 - 10hr cook yet

Any suggestions?
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

Big Nipper wrote:Bump

I acquired a Large Big Green Egg recently. I have the 3-2-1 Texas Crutch ribs down pretty well, but I haven't gone for the 8 - 10hr cook yet

Any suggestions?
You shouldn't need to texas crutch ribs, unless you're doing beef short ribs - you sacrifice the bark. Baybacks should be done within 5-6 hours. A hand of pork is a decent cut to do over a longer period of time (8-10), whilst you can do a piece of brisket (not a whole one) with the texas crutch in about 9, plus time for resting, if you get it wrapped at about 160F.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

You have the Weber smoker dont you Braz (the one that looks like a pygmy R2-D2)?
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

danny_fitz wrote:You have the Weber smoker dont you Braz (the one that looks like a pygmy R2-D2)?
Yep 47" Weber smokey Mountain. I have to do gardening this coming weekend which would seem to be an ideal opportunity to do a brisket for me and LP.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Brazil wrote:

Any suggestions?
You shouldn't need to texas crutch ribs, unless you're doing beef short ribs - you sacrifice the bark. Baybacks should be done within 5-6 hours. A hand of pork is a decent cut to do over a longer period of time (8-10), whilst you can do a piece of brisket (not a whole one) with the texas crutch in about 9, plus time for resting, if you get it wrapped at about 160F.
Thanks for the tip on the pork ribs - what temp do you do them at? 110?
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

Big Nipper wrote:
Brazil wrote:

Any suggestions?
Thanks for the tip on the pork ribs - what temp do you do them at? 110?
225-250F (not sure what that is in real money). Edit - the tear test (grab the end rib and pull it to see how easily it comes away) is the way to see whether they're done or not.

A shoulder of lamb is also superb on the smoker btw. Takes about 9 hours at 250F
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

One of these bad boys arriving tomorrow.

Anyone here have one, or a BGE perhaps?

Also posted on the braai fred, but this fred could do with a bump given the weather we've been having in UK.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Just got a Treager Timberline 1300, huge leap forward in functionality with WiFi enabled control. Great kit.

tc27

Post by tc27 »

Azlan Roar wrote:Image

Also posted on the braai fred, but this fred could do with a bump given the weather we've been having in UK.
I have a Kamado...they are brilliant for direct and indirect BBQ.

Done lots of grilling on it recently but just bought a 2.6kg briskett for a proper low and slow smoke.

Get youself hooked up with decent lumpwood and you are all set.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

tc27 wrote:just bought a 2.6kg briskett for a proper low and slow smoke.

Sounds more like burnt ends at that weight.
tc27

Post by tc27 »

Mr Mike wrote:
n

Seems big enough to me...would struggle to get anything bigger in the Kamado :shock:
tc27

Post by tc27 »

PS If Brazil read this would appreciate your Briskett technique
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

tc27 wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
n

Seems big enough to me...would struggle to get anything bigger in the Kamado :shock:
Its fine, just playing to the Texas stereotype.
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

Mr Mike wrote:Just got a Treager Timberline 1300, huge leap forward in functionality with WiFi enabled control. Great kit.
That's a serious looking piece of kit!

Runs on wood pellets, rather than gas or charcoal - right?
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

tc27 wrote:
Azlan Roar wrote:

I have a Kamado...they are brilliant for direct and indirect BBQ.

Done lots of grilling on it recently but just bought a 2.6kg briskett for a proper low and slow smoke.

Get youself hooked up with decent lumpwood and you are all set.
I've been looking to step it up from the Weber kettle for a few years now and was originally thinking Big Green Egg, but endless YouTube videos have convinced me the it's Team Red, and not Team Green for me.

My purchase came as a bundle that includes a bag of Kamado charcoal, so I'll be interested to see how that compares with the big blue bags of restaurant grade stuff that I've got a local supply of and swear by.

This stuff:

tc27 wrote:Seems big enough to me...would struggle to get anything bigger in the Kamado
I've gone for Big Joe 24'' -- figure that'll be big enough for my needs and it's not like we're having loads of people over right now!

Oh, and I ordered one of these this morning:

and I've got a selection of Meat Church rubs making their way to me too.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Been looking at a Kamado for a long time to accompany my enormous masonary grill. Still not sure I want to shell out for it
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Mr Mike wrote:Just got a Treager Timberline 1300, huge leap forward in functionality with WiFi enabled control. Great kit.

Jesus, that's a serious piece of kit and a serious price too. It's €2700 in my local garden centre :shock:
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Far more reasonable here as the right to a decent smoker is constitutionally protected, pretty sure it was rolled into the 21st amendment.

Yes, pellet fed and another great feature is that it monitors fuel level.
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

Saint wrote:Been looking at a Kamado for a long time to accompany my enormous masonary grill. Still not sure I want to shell out for it
The price has always put me off in the past too, but then along came a significant birthday and a card from Mrs R saying she'd get me a BGE.

Fortunately, she hadn't ordered one because of lockdown etc, and the delivery/where to hide it challenges.

When I got the green light, I switched it to a red one.
duke

Post by duke »

Azlan Roar wrote:
Saint wrote:Been looking at a Kamado for a long time to accompany my enormous masonary grill. Still not sure I want to shell out for it
The price has always put me off in the past too, but then along came a significant birthday and a card from Mrs R saying she'd get me a BGE.

Fortunately, she hadn't ordered one because of lockdown etc, and the delivery/where to hide it challenges.

When I got the green light, I switched it to a red one.
I was sent the other way, was contemplating Kamado Joe having had one of the BGE Minimax's for a few years but got informed by Mrs duke that it was BGE or nowt. Large version of BGE arrived on Saturday and started on slow roast salt marsh lamb - really delicious. Looking forward to playing with lots of different cuts of meat and techniques now that I have a decent size oven. The Minimax wasn't really big enough to do anything sensible on it.

Have now got a reasonably local source of restaurant grade charcoal from a guy I used to play cricket against so don't have to pay stupid money for that.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Nice one MM, that should be big enough to feed all the rioters when they come through your neighborhood :D
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

You can't go wrong with a ceramic grill, BGE has got the established industry name but I don't think there's a lot of difference between most of them. I ended up going with a Primo because it's oval and this makes it very flexible for different types of cooking -easy to partition the fire box for small loads or insert only one deflector plate for direct/indirect cooking, etc. and it fitted the layout of my outdoor kitchen better. But at the end of the day I'm sure you'd be happy with any of the mainstream ceramics.
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

duke wrote:got informed by Mrs duke that it was BGE or nowt.
tc27

Post by tc27 »

I have stuck the brisket in this morning at 8am....Kamado is holding 250f nicely and it already smells delicious

Looked at some US BBQ sites for ideas and dear gawd what a mess - 20 ingredient rubs, injecting brine solutions, broths, mops and complicated foil wrapping strategies.

Fudge that...I used a simple salt and pepper run and threw in some hickory wood when i put it on - It will stay in until the internal probe hits 195.
cheese cutter

Post by cheese cutter »

I'v only done one 12lb brisket but I just used salt, pepper and garlic powder for the flavour in the rub, with some paprika in for colour. Simple is best, I think. Post pics.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

tc27 wrote:I have stuck the brisket in this morning at 8am....Kamado is holding 250f nicely and it already smells delicious

Looked at some US BBQ sites for ideas and dear gawd what a mess - 20 ingredient rubs, injecting brine solutions, broths, mops and complicated foil wrapping strategies.

Fudge that...I used a simple salt and pepper run and threw in some hickory wood when i put it on - It will stay in until the internal probe hits 195.
204.2743 F is generally agreed to be better and you need at least four temperature probes.

Will you wrap it when it hits the stall?
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

cheese cutter wrote:I'v only done one 12lb brisket but I just used salt, pepper and garlic powder for the flavour in the rub, with some paprika in for colour. Simple is best, I think. Post pics.
That’s all smaller cuts like that need.