The official "Low and Slow" BBQ thread

All things Rugby
ElementFreak

The official "Low and Slow" BBQ thread

Post by ElementFreak »

Thought we could have a thread for all of us who cook over coals and after a quick search I couldn't find one about.

I am pulling the trigger on a Ugly Drum Smoker and will start doing some more stuff in that. Has anyone had one of those in the past? A mate just bought an offset one, however he lives in the USA so they are popular over there, and I was looking at those but there seem to be an issue with keeping the heat regular in the ones under $1200.

Any recipes for meat rubs etc could be posted in here.
Thomas

Re: The official "Low and Slow" BBQ thread

Post by Thomas »

There's a braai thread if you want some Saffas to tell you that you're doing everything wrong and how your meat is inferior to their meat and the like.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

ElementFreak wrote:meat rubs .
Fnar fnar.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Thomas wrote:There's a braai thread if you want some Saffas to tell you that you're doing everything wrong and how your meat is inferior to their meat and the like.
I'd rather not haha.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

I wanna get into cold smoking. Is there a DIY or cheapo option to doing this, I wonder?
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Thomas wrote:There's a braai thread if you want some Saffas to tell you that you're doing everything wrong and how your meat is inferior to their meat and the like.
I'm telling you! :nod:
The Native

Post by The Native »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:I wanna get into cold smoking. Is there a DIY or cheapo option to doing this, I wonder?
Yes. My brothers own a burger bar and cold smoke their chicken wings, short ribs and brisket before roasting or cooking them.

They got an old fridge and a few other components and made a cold smoker on the cheap. If you looked around for instructions you should find them easily.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

What the heck is a BBQ?

:P
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Are these any good for "low and slow"?

Would really want to give it a shot.

cheese cutter

Post by cheese cutter »

I've been cooking low n slow for about 3 years now, in a 22" Weber classic kettle. (I bought it before I knew about low n slow, would get a proper smoker or a one-touch kettle now.) I did the whole 3-2-1 ribs thing for a while but now I just do my ribs for around 4 hours, until they get some good colour. I have recently started rubbing a thin layer of muscovado sugar on the ribs, letting that get sticky and then applying a simple rub. I use salt, pepper, garlic powder and a bit of cayenne, usually do them 4ish hours at 130-140c. I also brine them in water, cider and soy for a couple of days, I think this keeps them very moist. The sugar combines with the meat and rub to make a chewy meat-candy. Which is nice...

A recent effort:

I learnt a lot from here - http://amazingribs.com/
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:I wanna get into cold smoking. Is there a DIY or cheapo option to doing this, I wonder?
A mate of mine made a cold smoker from an old IKEA wardrobe that he was going to throw away.

Built racks inside, places sides of salmon and trout on the racks and starts a smoke box in the bottom of the wardrobe.

Close the doors - seal with masking tape - build a vent at the top to control smoke release.
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

I have a cheapy offset that does the trick quite well. Have done 8 hr brisket and anytime I want to add a real smoky taste to what I am cooking. I haven't used any special flavours, the fire gets going with gumleaves and twigs and just adding bits of that seem to work well. Always gives a nice taste. I finish it off on one of the other barbecues and always works a treat. Recommended
Sards

Post by Sards »

Big Nipper wrote:Are these any good for "low and slow"?

Hmmmmmmmmm................

Been using my Weber the last few nights......whilst busy with renovations.......might make an extension piece for it and give that a proper bash...... :thumbup:

How to control the heat tho.....you would want around 120" C I would imagine......

Another thing I would add is a round plate snipped and slightly bent like a vent to put above the coals to create a vortex to distribute the heat efficiently throughout the top area and get an all round smoking.......

Last edited by Sards on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Sards wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmm................

Been using my Weber the last few nights......whilst busy with renovations.......might make an extension piece for it and give that a proper bash...... :thumbup:

How to control the heat tho.....you would want around 120" C I would imagine......
Yes, from what I have read here the optimal heat is between 120 and 140
pjm1

Post by pjm1 »

Got into this earlier in the year when the weather was a bit better. Weber one touch and it does an OK job. Biggest tip is to invest in a proper remote temperature probe that will alert you wherever you are in the house or garden. Really handy for low and slow...
tc27

Post by tc27 »

I also BBQ like this using my Napoleon kettle (Canadian Weber rip off same build quality but cheaper)....

Stacking the briquettes 2 high and deep in a 'snake' around the rim of the kettle and then starting it off with 6 or so and letting it burn progressively down the 'snake' seems to be the best method for keeping a constant temp.
Sards

Post by Sards »

tc27 wrote:I also BBQ like this using my Napoleon kettle (Canadian Weber rip off same build quality but cheaper)....

Stacking the briquettes 2 high and deep in a 'snake' around the rim of the kettle and then starting it off with 6 or so and letting it burn progressively down the 'snake' seems to be the best method for keeping a constant temp.

Huh.....
tc27

Post by tc27 »

Sards wrote:
tc27 wrote:I also BBQ like this using my Napoleon kettle (Canadian Weber rip off same build quality but cheaper)....

Huh.....

deadduck

Post by deadduck »

My bro and I cooked a turkey over charcoal last Christmas using an upturned trash can lid, an old cinderblock barbecue grill plate, some bricks and an oven tray. None of this fancy smancy weber crap

And it was the best turkey there ever has been.
Sards

Post by Sards »

tc27 wrote:
Sards wrote:

Huh.....

Hmmmmm......and you add your smoke chips at intervals....

:thumbup:

very ingenious.

* doffs cap *

anyone got idea of times
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

It's a great bit of kit, but takes some getting used to. Firmly recommend using decent briquettes (Weber are the best I've found in the UK) rather than garage forecourt/homebase level shite. Also, the door leaks air which makes keeping a constant temperature a bit of a fag. Trick with this is to wrap the rim in a thick (1/4") of foil to seal it. Or failing that, invest in some gaskets to close it all off.

Did a pork shoulder and ribs the other week. Pork shoulder needs a fair while to get up to the necessary 204F. On the plus side it allows you to legitimately buy stuff like this completely unironically:

Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Brazil wrote: Did a pork shoulder and ribs the other week. Pork shoulder needs a fair while to get up to the necessary 204F. On the plus side it allows you to legitimately buy stuff like this completely unironically:

There's never any justification for buying sh1t like that, you disgusting Northern Monkey.
Use a pair of these instead:

Anyway, a recipe for a rub that I've been meaning to try for a while:

2 tbs ground dark roast coffee
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbs chilli powder.. Ancho if you have it
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

I've used the snake method in a Weber - as Sards deduced, you can add wood (have a big supply from a damson tree that died) at intervals along the snake. I also shield the meat from direct heat, foil does it ok, I suppose there are better options.

Local shop was selling Weber whiskey wood chips cheap, so going to give them a try at the weekend.
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

How long does it take to get up to temperature using the snake, and how long does it last for? Got a 47cm WSM and am planning to do a brisket in a couple of weeks.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Leinsterman wrote:
Brazil wrote: Did a pork shoulder and ribs the other week. Pork shoulder needs a fair while to get up to the necessary 204F. On the plus side it allows you to legitimately buy stuff like this completely unironically:

There's never any justification for buying sh1t like that, you disgusting Northern Monkey.
Use a pair of these instead:

Anyway, a recipe for a rub that I've been meaning to try for a while:

2 tbs ground dark roast coffee
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbs chilli powder.. Ancho if you have it
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Not too dissimilar to the one I used last weekend on a chicken with a beer can up its hoop.

Ground up the following with a pestle and mortar.

1 x tablespoon smoked paprika
1 x teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 x tablespoon fennel seeds
1 x tablespoon coriander seeds
1 x teaspoon cumin seeds
3 x dried red chillies
1 x teaspoon sea salt
1 x tablespoon ground black pepper
1 x tablespoon dark brown sugar
tc27

Post by tc27 »

Brazil wrote:How long does it take to get up to temperature using the snake, and how long does it last for? Got a 47cm WSM and am planning to do a brisket in a couple of weeks.

I like to get it started with about 8 or so briquettes from the starter chimney otherwise you wait too long to get hot enough - its easy enough to use the vents to slow it down if it gets too hot....usually takes about 20-30 minutes to get to smoking temp.

I have a 57cm kettle and usually have a snake that goes about 2/3rds around bowl - its easily good for six hours and I usually claim back unspent briquettes afterwards.

PS can you point me at somewhere I can buy those shredders from?
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

tc27 wrote:
Brazil wrote:How long does it take to get up to temperature using the snake, and how long does it last for? Got a 47cm WSM and am planning to do a brisket in a couple of weeks.

I like to get it started with about 8 or so briquettes from the starter chimney otherwise you wait too long to get hot enough - its easy enough to use the vents to slow it down if it gets too hot....usually takes about 20-30 minutes to get to smoking temp.

I have a 57cm kettle and usually have a snake that goes about 2/3rds around bowl - its easily good for six hours and I usually claim back unspent briquettes afterwards.

PS can you point me at somewhere I can buy those shredders from?
Ta. The brisket will be a good 18 hours I should think. Which means I'll do six on the barbecue and then stick the fucker in the oven. It took a good ten hours to get a pork butt up to 190f.

The bear paws are available on Amazon.

This is a good website for the proper cuts of meat if your local butcher looks at you open mouthed when you ask for ribs and/or is halal only...

http://www.tomhixson.co.uk/

Paul Goulden is brilliant for wood, as it were:

http://bbqsmokingwood.co.uk/
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

I'm going to trial with the snake method either tonight or tomorrow to make some beef short rib, just in my regular weber.

I've been reading up on the different kind of wood chips, and by the looks of it some fruit wood, in bigger chunks is the way to go. The chips seem to burn down too quickly.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

danny_fitz wrote: Not too dissimilar to the one I used last weekend on a chicken with a beer can up its hoop.

Ground up the following with a pestle and mortar.

1 x tablespoon smoked paprika
1 x teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 x tablespoon fennel seeds
1 x tablespoon coriander seeds
1 x teaspoon cumin seeds
3 x dried red chillies
1 x teaspoon sea salt
1 x tablespoon ground black pepper
1 x tablespoon dark brown sugar
That's pretty much exactly the same rub we use for our pulled pork. We also add in some chipotle if we can find it.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

I've started a smoke in my UDS. Just been going for about 20 minutes now, it's sitting pretty around 200 degrees F. Got some beef rib to go on in about 2 hours, and hopefully enough fuel in there to last a good 10-12 hours. Only downside from this one is the holes at the bottom are always open, might need to add some valves to them to play around with the temp to see if I can get it hotter.

Brazil

Post by Brazil »

Did some ribs and a 900g piece of brisket yesterday trying the snake method. Not a screaming success, and will go back to the donut minon method, as it wouldn't get up to temperature, thoug in saying that the brisket was the best I've done yet. Going to do a whole brisket this weekend for my neighbour's 60th, and will probably start it the night before for it to be ready by 1800 the next day.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

ElementFreak wrote:I've started a smoke in my UDS. Just been going for about 20 minutes now, it's sitting pretty around 200 degrees F. Got some beef rib to go on in about 2 hours, and hopefully enough fuel in there to last a good 10-12 hours. Only downside from this one is the holes at the bottom are always open, might need to add some valves to them to play around with the temp to see if I can get it hotter.

That looks familiar. Gives me an idea.
msp.

Post by msp. »

Cooked some ribs on Weber Smokey Mountain, with the 3, 2 1 method.. Came out perfect (finally worked out the correct fuel) which made a real difference keeping the heat constant..
Peanuts

Post by Peanuts »

My kind of thread. I'm one of those weird people who is far too into this and takes part in competitions.

Wsm is perfect for low and slow,.
Sards

Post by Sards »

ElementFreak wrote:I'm going to trial with the snake method either tonight or tomorrow to make some beef short rib, just in my regular weber.

I've been reading up on the different kind of wood chips, and by the looks of it some fruit wood, in bigger chunks is the way to go. The chips seem to burn down too quickly.
I soak my chips in water for an hour before using
Sards

Post by Sards »

Average Joe wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:I've started a smoke in my UDS. Just been going for about 20 minutes now, it's sitting pretty around 200 degrees F. Got some beef rib to go on in about 2 hours, and hopefully enough fuel in there to last a good 10-12 hours. Only downside from this one is the holes at the bottom are always open, might need to add some valves to them to play around with the temp to see if I can get it hotter.

That looks familiar. Gives me an idea.
I know what you are thinking
henry

Post by henry »

Oh, this isn't a thread about Londoners commute home this evening then?
troglodiet

Post by troglodiet »

bobbity wrote:selling Weber whiskey wood chips cheap

Try saying that 10 times.
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

tc27 wrote:
Sards wrote:

Huh.....
Spoiler: show
Using briquettes I am out