Favorite beers (for when the rugby is on) - Official thread

All things Rugby
Peanuts

Re: Favorite beers - Official thread

Post by Peanuts »

The best two beers in Belgium, as decided by myself and best mate after a 5 day beer holiday. The Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel is particularly phenomenal.

Stone Smoked Porter - an American craft porter which is the best beer I've had for the first time recently. Mesmeric depth of flavour, and stunning when its low ABV is considered. :thumbup:

The best seasonal ale I've had in the last year or so. Just beautiful.

-

Add to this all the normals (Innis and Gunn Rum Cask, Landlord, the Badger Seasonals - particularly Ferret and Partridge, Deuchars IPA, London Pride and Copper Dragon Golden Pippin are particular favourites that spring to mind)

And this stuff is nectar on a hot day:

RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

mr bungle wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
freewheelan wrote:
mr bungle wrote:I have one of these in the house, just waiting for an extra special occasion. 8)

Although taste is highly subjective and individual, many international beer drinkers consider the Westvleteren 12 to be among their favourite beers. The members of BeerAdvocate.com[9] and RateBeer.com,[10] two beer rating websites, consistently rate the Westvleteren 12 as their most enjoyable beer; the 8 and the Blonde also rank highly on both sites.
In June 2005, when Westvleteren 12 was again highlighted as "Best Beer in the World" in a bi-annual competition on RateBeer.com, news organizations followed this up and articles appeared in the international press, highlighting the beer ranking and the unusual business policies.
Following these events, interest in Westvleteren's output increased and stories appeared of the abbey's stock being low, forcing the monks to reduce the amount of beer sold to each customer. In an interview with The Independent, monk Mark Bode explained that the abbey had no intention of increasing its production, despite demand: "We make the beer to live but we do not live for beer."[3]
Despite the popularity, the monks of St Sixtus have continued to decline almost all interview and visit requests, and have not enjoyed all of the attention they have received. Non-monastic visitors to the abbey are usually turned away, instead being directed to the visitor's centre opposite where there is information about the abbey and brewery. They have stated their desire to only produce as much beer as needed to finance the community.[3]
I hope to try and get some next time I'm in Europe. I don't doubt it's a great beer but I have to wonder if some of those beer rating sites give extra marks for beers that are hard to get.
Hard to get with interesting back story.
I imagine there's many hard to get trappist monk brews.

I'll tell you how it rates, lads. :smug:
How did you get it anyway?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

While it is sold on the black market in some pubs, my brother was living in Amsterdam for a year or 2 and visited the monastery. Brought is all the way back to NZ for me.
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

Peanuts wrote:

Stone Smoked Porter - an American craft porter which is the best beer I've had for the first time recently. Mesmeric depth of flavour, and stunning when its low ABV is considered. :thumbup:
If you ever have the chance try an Alaskan Smoked Porter, it's sublimely well balanced.

http://www.alaskanbeer.com/smoked-porter.html
BigIrishDogs

Post by BigIrishDogs »

Pigs Ass Porter
I can't figure out how to put up images on this new bored :blush:
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

BigIrishDogs wrote:Pigs Ass Porter
I can't figure out how to put up images on this new bored :blush:

http://forum.planet-rugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=913
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

BigIrishDogs

Post by BigIrishDogs »

freewheelan wrote:Image
That's the exact image I had, still can't sort, why must I be a techno-dunce...thank you!
BigIrishDogs

Post by BigIrishDogs »

freewheelan wrote:
Peanuts wrote:

If you ever have the chance try an Alaskan Smoked Porter, it's sublimely well balanced.

I do really love this beer as well, the Alaskan is good, but Stone is better. Well, that's my opionion anyway.
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

BigIrishDogs wrote:
freewheelan wrote:
Peanuts wrote:

I do really love this beer as well, the Alaskan is good, but Stone is better. Well, that's my opionion anyway.
Yeah and I bet you can pick some up whenever you want too.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

hornets wrote:
A local small brewery, it's a thing of tru beauty

I like the look of that and my friend google has jsut told me more about it.

I'm a big fan of brown ales, but sadly they seem to be quite rare these days. There seems to be so much focus on hops these days that the flavors of the malts is often overlooked.
BigIrishDogs

Post by BigIrishDogs »

freewheelan wrote:
BigIrishDogs wrote:
freewheelan wrote:
Peanuts wrote:

Yeah and I bet you can pick some up whenever you want too.
Indeed, that is one of the best parts of living in the PacNW, tons of amazing beer everywhere.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

BigIrishDogs wrote:
That's the exact image I had, still can't sort, why must I be a techno-dunce...thank you!
That looks good BID.

So does the Stone smoked porter. Man this thread is making me thirsty!
BigIrishDogs

Post by BigIrishDogs »

Fat Old Git wrote:
BigIrishDogs wrote:
That looks good BID.

So does the Stone smoked porter. Man this thread is making me thirsty!
Me too, and I am full o' beer already!
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

BigIrishDogs wrote: Indeed, that is one of the best parts of living in the PacNW, tons of amazing beer everywhere.
Brouwers Cafe is my favourite beer bar in Seattle. Sixty beers on tap and the bottle selection is amazing.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Off here for lunch today. They make some great beer plus they have an everchanging selection of interesting guest beers. :thumbup:

The Brewery

freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

Fat Old Git wrote:Off here for lunch today. They make some great beer plus they have an everchanging selection of interesting guest beers. :thumbup:

The Brewery

Looks good FOG but the blokes brewing look far too happy. The happy part of brewing beer is drinking it.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Great stuff, others as well from them.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

freewheelan wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:Off here for lunch today. They make some great beer plus they have an everchanging selection of interesting guest beers. :thumbup:

The Brewery

Looks good FOG but the blokes brewing look far too happy. The happy part of brewing beer is drinking it.
and the chicks are ugly [/default toga mode]

have just had a couple of bottles of this - heaven in a glass, but i'm a complete hophead

edit - can't work out pics on this forum - but it's called racer 5
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

happyhooker wrote:
freewheelan wrote:

The Brewery

and the chicks are ugly [/default toga mode]

have just had a couple of bottles of this - heaven in a glass, but i'm a complete hophead

edit - can't work out pics on this forum - but it's called racer 5
Racer 5 is a beer from Bear Republic Brewery, about an hours drive north of San Francisco. I had an evening there last year and the manager gave my mate and me a lift home at the end of the night. What great service.

They make a beer called Red Rocket Ale which is really good as well.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

hp18 wrote:Image

would have agreed with you until recently - punk ipa is one of the nicest beers i've had

however, they've been overexpanding recently and are sending out barrels of beer that they KNOW are shit, just so they are "keeping up with demand" (oh, i got this from one of their head honchos at the recent opening of their camden pub) in one case they brewed a batch of punk without having anywhere near enough hops

i think this attitude is going to bite them in the ass - of the last 4 pints of punk ipa i've had (in different establishments) i've sent 3 of them back

if you can find it up your way try either the darkstar apa or their new revelation. awesome
Last edited by happyhooker on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

I don't mind their Punk IPA when I can get it reasonably fresh. The two blokes that run BrewDog are great marketers.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

freewheelan wrote:

I don't mind their Punk IPA when I can get it reasonably fresh. The two blokes that run BrewDog are great marketers.
but plum - see my post above
hp18

Post by hp18 »

happyhooker wrote:

would have agreed with you until recently - punk ipa is one of the nicest beers i've had

however, they've been overexpanding recently and are sending out barrels of beer that they KNOW are shit, just so they are "keeping up with demand" (oh, i got this from one of their head honchos at the recent opening of their camden pub) in one case they brewed a batch of punk without having anywhere near enough hops

i think this attitude is going to bite them in the ass - of the last 4 pints of punk ipa i've had (in different establishments) i've sent 3 of them back

if you can find it up your way try either the darkstar apa or their new revelation. awesome
Think we've discussed this before. I'm to knackered just now to go looking again but I'll ask on the forum tomorrow, don't piss off the shareholders.

Next time you spot me try and remind me incase it slipped.
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

happyhooker wrote:

however, they've been overexpanding recently and are sending out barrels of beer that they KNOW are shit, just so they are "keeping up with demand" (oh, i got this from one of their head honchos at the recent opening of their camden pub) in one case they brewed a batch of punk without anywhere nearer enough hops

If they f**ked up a brew and sent it out that is just disgraceful. Redoak in Sydney put out a beer that should of gone down the drain and I now won't touch their beers.

I've never looked at the recipe of Punk IPA but if it's dry hopped it HAS to be drunk fresh. Dry hopping can give a beer a lot of flavour and aroma but the hop oils that are released are volatile and don't last very long.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'm not a huge fan of Brew Dog. Their Punk IPA is okay but that's about it. I have tried their Tokyo Stout. That was a shock to the system.
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

Thomas wrote:I'm not a huge fan of Brew Dog. Their Punk IPA is okay but that's about it. I have tried their Tokyo Stout. That was a shock to the system.
The Tokyo Stout was a fail in my book, it didn't taste like a stout and there was too much alcohol heat.
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

For European breweries doing US style craft beer I think Mikkeller are the best.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yeah, I find the whole 'extreme beer' thing a bit tedious. Yeah, you can make a high alcohol drink. So can inmates in jail.

I want to get my hands on some Dogfish Head Brewery IPAs. Especially their 60 and 90 minute ones.
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

Thomas wrote:Yeah, I find the whole 'extreme beer' thing a bit tedious. Yeah, you can make a high alcohol drink. So can inmates in jail.

I want to get my hands on some Dogfish Head Brewery IPAs. Especially their 60 and 90 minute ones.
Have you ever seen it on sale in Australia?
Peanuts

Post by Peanuts »

freewheelan wrote:For European breweries doing US style craft beer I think Mikkeller are the best.
Mikkeller produce some lovely beers.

For those in London wishing to try some, make your way to Craft in Clerkenwell.

In fact, everyone should make their way to Craft in Clerkenwell and join me for a drink.

http://thecraftbeerco.com/
TB63

Post by TB63 »

Looking through this thread, NZ seems to be craft brewing heaven, but I don't understand why high ABV is so prevalent, highest I brew is a 6% and that's a one brew seasonal, 3.6 and 4.3 are our biggest sellers..
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Peanuts wrote:
freewheelan wrote:For European breweries doing US style craft beer I think Mikkeller are the best.
Mikkeller produce some lovely beers.

For those in London wishing to try some, make your way to Craft in Clerkenwell.

In fact, everyone should make their way to Craft in Clerkenwell and join me for a drink.

http://thecraftbeerco.com/
indeed, when? - i pop in there as often as possible, at least once every couple of weeks

do you ever go in the gunmakers?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

freewheelan wrote:
Thomas wrote:Yeah, I find the whole 'extreme beer' thing a bit tedious. Yeah, you can make a high alcohol drink. So can inmates in jail.

Have you ever seen it on sale in Australia?
Never in an actual store.

I get my rare beers from http://www.slowbeer.com.au/ and http://www.innspire.com.au/index.php?op ... 2&Itemid=1

The only Dogfish Head beer I have had was a collaboration with an NZ company. A delicious porter.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

TB63 wrote:Looking through this thread, NZ seems to be craft brewing heaven, but I don't understand why high ABV is so prevalent, highest I brew is a 6% and that's a one brew seasonal, 3.6 and 4.3 are our biggest sellers..
i know what you mean tb - tonight i was given a half of a brooklyn beer (blast?) that apparently is normally only brewed for staff. a couple of barrels made it to the uk. absolutely gorgeous and superbly made, but at 9% or so just far far too sweet

btw the rrp on this was £4.50

a half!!!!!
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

TB63 wrote:Looking through this thread, NZ seems to be craft brewing heaven, but I don't understand why high ABV is so prevalent, highest I brew is a 6% and that's a one brew seasonal, 3.6 and 4.3 are our biggest sellers..
If you brew high abv beers you're not going to sell too many. I brew high gravity beers for two reasons:

1. Russian Imperial Stouts are my favourite, so by style they have to be high abv.

2. I brew clone recipes (or attempt to) of my favourite beers, like Pliny the Elder (kegged one yesterday).

Having said that I never like tasting alcohol heat in a beer, to me that represents a fault.

I find the lower abv beers in Australia (mainly pale ale's and kolsch's) to be pretty watery and flavourless but it's what most beer drinkers like. I'd rather drink beer that has a lot of flavour and drink less quantity.
Last edited by freewheelan on Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TB63

Post by TB63 »

happyhooker wrote:
i know what you mean tb - tonight i was given a half of a brooklyn beer (blast?) that apparently is normally only brewed for staff. a couple of barrels made it to the uk. absolutely gorgeous and superbly made, but at 9% or so just far far too sweet

btw the rrp on this was £4.50

a half!!!!!
Ouch, if I go out, I prefer a session bitter or my own VB @ 4.3, can handle a good few pints, those high ones, 3 or 4 pints and goodnight..
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

My favourite bar in Brisbane has a growler refill on Thursdays. 1.87L jugs which you can fill from the taps. Sometimes they have tasty stuff, other times not so tasty. One Thursday I filled it with a Black Double IPA called Cunning Ninja made by a local brewer. It was fantastic. Lovely flavour with floral notes and a nice hoppy kick. Suddenly...coma.

Turns out it was 10.5%. I had two large schooners of the stuff after dinner and was a dribbling mess on the couch. Lovely beer though.
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

Thomas wrote:My favourite bar in Brisbane has a growler refill on Thursdays. 1.87L jugs which you can fill from the taps. Sometimes they have tasty stuff, other times not so tasty. One Thursday I filled it with a Black Double IPA called Cunning Ninja made by a local brewer. It was fantastic. Lovely flavour with floral notes and a nice hoppy kick. Suddenly...coma.

Turns out it was 10.5%. I had two large schooners of the stuff after dinner and was a dribbling mess on the couch. Lovely beer though.
The Gowlers are a US concept, I don't think I've ever been to a brew pub on the west coast that didn't have them. I've got half a dozen but only use them I go to parties or dinner at friends.

Was that Cunning Ninja from a home brewer or a local brewery?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

freewheelan wrote:
Thomas wrote:My favourite bar in Brisbane has a growler refill on Thursdays. 1.87L jugs which you can fill from the taps. Sometimes they have tasty stuff, other times not so tasty. One Thursday I filled it with a Black Double IPA called Cunning Ninja made by a local brewer. It was fantastic. Lovely flavour with floral notes and a nice hoppy kick. Suddenly...coma.

The Gowlers are a US concept, I don't think I've ever been to a brew pub on the west coast that didn't have them. I've got half a dozen but only use them I go to parties or dinner at friends.

Was that Cunning Ninja from a home brewer or a local brewery?
A local brewer. Bacchus Brewing. Basically a home brewer who sells to the public. We've tried his Cunning Ninja Double Black IPA, the Obama (Black IPA) and the Fighting Falcon (IPA American style). All delicious. He sells them direct from his brewery in 5L kegs. We demolished a couple over Xmas.