Favorite beers (for when the rugby is on) - Official thread

All things Rugby
SFBB

Re: Favorite beers (for when the rugby is on) - Official thr

Post by SFBB »

happyhooker wrote: i meant the sour beer options were much stronger as in better/more varied, but didn't proofread!! still does work to a certain extent.

glad you're well, although i can only shudder in horror at the thought of your original accent mixed with however many years of WAs!!!
Ah there are lots of options here, I was just bemoaning garage projects interesting, but insipid offering.

My accent is as clear as a bell. Always has been.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

I just stocked up with a shedload of heavy Dark beers for the Solstice - it looks like the event will run in July now which is good as the pubs are open properly.

I've been buying way more cases than I ever have but realise, I'm spending less...

It's still weird going into a pub in Sydney. Had a Schnitty and a pint the other night but didn't linger..
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:I just stocked up with a shedload of heavy Dark beers for the Solstice - it looks like the event will run in July now which is good as the pubs are open properly.

I've been buying way more cases than I ever have but realise, I'm spending less...

It's still weird going into a pub in Sydney. Had a Schnitty and a pint the other night but didn't linger..
I've got significantly more money in my account on a weekly basis despite drinking like a fish at home. I suspect its the cafe food, rather than the pints that are to blame.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Taranaki Snapper wrote:Dark Beer festival at my local this week. Last night I had a 6.7% Chili stout from Ballistic, a 7.5% Violet Crumble stout from Dainton, a 9% Barrel-Aged stout from 8 Wired and the finisher was a 15% Jule Mælk by To Øl...
You really are a prizewinning purple stonefruit, TS. :x
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Thomas wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:Dark Beer festival at my local this week. Last night I had a 6.7% Chili stout from Ballistic, a 7.5% Violet Crumble stout from Dainton, a 9% Barrel-Aged stout from 8 Wired and the finisher was a 15% Jule Mælk by To Øl...
That's another one of my locals. That beer is tasty as all hell. Keep an eye out for their Sleep When You're Dead Hazy IPA and Hazy IIPA.
I spent a pleasant afternoon in the Crafthaus brewery in Henderson, Nevada a few years ago. The head brewers were an Australian couple who I notice are now brewing at the Wheatsheaf Hotel in Adelaide. I was impressed with their brews at Crafthaus, I assume they have only got more experienced since then.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

SaintK wrote:
Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?
Pah, just use a straw.

I had a few of the toil given to me, so a couple of weekends ago, I shared one (yes just one) with my flatmate. I now don't have any left and I can't remember getting home from my kitchen.

It's bloody lovely. I think. It must have been otherwise we wouldn't have drunk the other 5.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

And in other news, Kernel have just brewed another batch of Imperial Brown Stout so it should be available end of July - I can just about hang on until then.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

SFBB wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:I just stocked up with a shedload of heavy Dark beers for the Solstice - it looks like the event will run in July now which is good as the pubs are open properly.

I've got significantly more money in my account on a weekly basis despite drinking like a fish at home. I suspect its the cafe food, rather than the pints that are to blame.
My waistline agrees....
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?
Pah, just use a straw.

I had a few of the toil given to me, so a couple of weekends ago, I shared one (yes just one) with my flatmate. I now don't have any left and I can't remember getting home from my kitchen.

It's bloody lovely. I think. It must have been otherwise we wouldn't have drunk the other 5.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Daughter bought me a couple of Brouwerij De Molen Imperial Stouts one at 10% and one at 12%
Haven't plucked up courage yet
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?
Pah, just use a straw.

Daughter bought me a couple of Brouwerij De Molen Imperial Stouts one at 10% and one at 12%
Treat them as the last one of the evening.

I usually finish up on a St Bernardus Abt 12. it's not quite as nice as the Kernel Imperial Brown Stout but it is 1/3 the price.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

dinsdale wrote:
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?
Pah, just use a straw.

Treat them as the last one of the evening.

I usually finish up on a St Bernardus Abt 12. it's not quite as nice as the Kernel Imperial Brown Stout but it is 1/3 the price.
Good thinking! Especially as one of them is named Madmen and Fools!!!
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

SaintK wrote:
Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?
330s, but not full...

happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Sydney dwellers (and maybe they're available elsewhere in oz) wildflower are kicking out some fantastic beers. I knew topher when he was working for partizan out here and he sent some over.

Mostly barrel aged beers with some open fermentation (except their table beer) they were excellent.
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

This last few weeks I`ve developed a taste for Hop House 13 lager.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

GWO2 wrote:This last few weeks I`ve developed a taste for Hop House 13 lager.
It's a step in the right direction. Keep trying new things.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

dinsdale wrote:And in other news, Kernel have just brewed another batch of Imperial Brown Stout so it should be available end of July - I can just about hang on until then.

Ohhh, I wonder if that will be in my Boxtravaganza set.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Hellraiser wrote:
dinsdale wrote:And in other news, Kernel have just brewed another batch of Imperial Brown Stout so it should be available end of July - I can just about hang on until then.

i doubt it tbh. you'd be very lucky if there's much unaccounted for.

they've recently brewed a pilsner for the first time in aeons. perfectly okay and technically correct, but, like most craft lagers, actually needs more lagering. lagers are expensive to do properly for smallish breweries
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Oooooh. Sweeping coast by duration is rather good
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Went to a rare beer festival in Kaiapoi (north of Chch) on saturday and had a couple of these..

Perfect winter beer, big Coffee, big vanilla flavours and 9.99% to boot. Lovely stuff
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Boneface is quality. My brother got me a mixed 6 of theirs and 5 of them were excellent.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

They're fibbing about the 9.99% bit though
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

happyhooker wrote:Oooooh. Sweeping coast by duration is rather good
Haven't had a bad beer since I started buying from them.
Very consistently good
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

happyhooker wrote:They're fibbing about the 9.99% bit though
Inverted 666, the number of the beast. You’re quick :thumbup:
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

mr bungle wrote:
happyhooker wrote:They're fibbing about the 9.99% bit though
Inverted 666, the number of the beast. You’re quick :thumbup:
Ah, you mean 9.19% then :P
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

SaintK wrote:
Very consistently good
Yup, dinsdale put his money to good use.

I specified that though because west coast ipas have been overshadowed by neipas recently but it remains my favourite style
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Garage Project have re-brewed their colab with Other Half brewing in Brooklyn USA. One of the best beers in New Zealand last year and currently the #3 on untappd.

Absolutely stunning :thumbup:
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
Very consistently good
Yup, dinsdale put his money to good use.

I specified that though because west coast ipas have been overshadowed by neipas recently but it remains my favourite style
I know I have a vested interest but I do agree.

Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Headed out to Orange next weekend and will be stocking up on Badlands Brewing Company gear

Their Vanuatu Rum barrel stout is the best!
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Uk lot. If you actually give a shit about smaller breweries, you should boycott the following larger ones who have actively campaigned to move the tax burden from themselves to the smaller breweries. Hogs Back and Theakstons brewery have been particularly pernicious. All members of the SBDRC who are trying to put smaller breweries out of business. It's a version of what happened 50 years ago and will result in a similar situation which the industry took years to recover from. Basically dropping the production volume before beer duty applies goes from 5000hl pa to 2100hl.

Edit: instead of listing them here's a link to an updating list

https://beernouveau.co.uk/sbdrc-update/

This could be devastating.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

happyhooker wrote:Uk lot. If you actually give a shit about smaller breweries, you should boycott the following larger ones who have actively campaigned to move the tax burden from themselves to the smaller breweries. Hogs Back and Theakstons brewery have been particularly pernicious. All members of the SBDRC who are trying to put smaller breweries out of business. It's a version of what happened 50 years ago and will result in a similar situation which the industry took years to recover from. Basically dropping the production volume before beer duty applies goes from 5000hl pa to 2100hl.

F uck that's appalling
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

happyhooker wrote:Uk lot. If you actually give a shit about smaller breweries, you should boycott the following larger ones who have actively campaigned to move the tax burden from themselves to the smaller breweries. Hogs Back and Theakstons brewery have been particularly pernicious. All members of the SBDRC who are trying to put smaller breweries out of business. It's a version of what happened 50 years ago and will result in a similar situation which the industry took years to recover from. Basically dropping the production volume before beer duty applies goes from 5000hl pa to 2100hl.

Thanks for sharing the updated list - there were one or two on the first one that surprised me.
colonel

Post by colonel »

Well, that scuppers my enjoyment of Landlord. Bugger.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Craft breweries get massively taxed whilst the Large conglomerates get tax breaks here in Oz
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

happyhooker wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:

i doubt it tbh. you'd be very lucky if there's much unaccounted for.

they've recently brewed a pilsner for the first time in aeons. perfectly okay and technically correct, but, like most craft lagers, actually needs more lagering. lagers are expensive to do properly for smallish breweries
Kernel Imperial Brown Stout hit their online store this weekend.

My order is placed.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Well, Dry July is over for me (I actually started on 30 June, so I've still done a full month) and I've got my Friday sorted...

Close inspection of that photo may show I've already cracked a couple of those open...
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

That behemoth "Me Time" :nod:
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:Well, Dry July is over for me (I actually started on 30 June, so I've still done a full month) and I've got my Friday sorted...

Close inspection of that photo may show I've already cracked a couple of those open...
I've had most of those. All pretty good if I remember correctly, except hop cha which was pleasant enough but a bit ordinary.

6"5 was one of my favorite IPAs before all started drinking hazys. Must give it another go.
JPNZ

Re: Favorite beers (for when the rugby is on) - Official thread

Post by JPNZ »

Well with the North v South game on the weekend I got to try both the new Garage Project Hapi sessions (Vol 6 & 7)

This was absolutely smashing beer.

Vol 6 - GP x The Veil - New, New, Normal, Normal
Hazy IPA 8%
Groundbreaking brewery The Veil, from Richmond Virginia, brings the new normal, with a huge smooth mouthfeel from 50% oats, oat flour and Citra in the boil and a lavish dry hop of US Sabro and harvest fresh Riwaka from Freestyle hop farm.

mr bungle

Re: Favorite beers (for when the rugby is on) - Official thread

Post by mr bungle »

Helped a mate recently with some things for his home. He’s at the other end of the country. Done for love, didn’t expect this to arrive today.