Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2718 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4235
happyhooker wrote:
i meant the sour beer options were much stronger as in better/more varied, but didn't proofread!! still does work to a certain extent.

glad you're well, although i can only shudder in horror at the thought of your original accent mixed with however many years of WAs!!!

Ah there are lots of options here, I was just bemoaning garage projects interesting, but insipid offering.

My accent is as clear as a bell. Always has been.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 5378
I just stocked up with a shedload of heavy Dark beers for the Solstice - it looks like the event will run in July now which is good as the pubs are open properly.

I've been buying way more cases than I ever have but realise, I'm spending less...

It's still weird going into a pub in Sydney. Had a Schnitty and a pint the other night but didn't linger..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4235
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
I just stocked up with a shedload of heavy Dark beers for the Solstice - it looks like the event will run in July now which is good as the pubs are open properly.

I've been buying way more cases than I ever have but realise, I'm spending less...

It's still weird going into a pub in Sydney. Had a Schnitty and a pint the other night but didn't linger..

I've got significantly more money in my account on a weekly basis despite drinking like a fish at home. I suspect its the cafe food, rather than the pints that are to blame.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12859
Location: Coalfalls
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Dark Beer festival at my local this week. Last night I had a 6.7% Chili stout from Ballistic, a 7.5% Violet Crumble stout from Dainton, a 9% Barrel-Aged stout from 8 Wired and the finisher was a 15% Jule Mælk by To Øl...

You really are a prizewinning purple stonefruit, TS. :x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:01 am
Posts: 1407
Location: SW London
Thomas wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Dark Beer festival at my local this week. Last night I had a 6.7% Chili stout from Ballistic, a 7.5% Violet Crumble stout from Dainton, a 9% Barrel-Aged stout from 8 Wired and the finisher was a 15% Jule Mælk by To Øl...


That's another one of my locals. That beer is tasty as all hell. Keep an eye out for their Sleep When You're Dead Hazy IPA and Hazy IIPA.

I spent a pleasant afternoon in the Crafthaus brewery in Henderson, Nevada a few years ago. The head brewers were an Australian couple who I notice are now brewing at the Wheatsheaf Hotel in Adelaide. I was impressed with their brews at Crafthaus, I assume they have only got more experienced since then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5813
Location: 'ertfordshire
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Dark Beer festival at my local this week. Last night I had a 6.7% Chili stout from Ballistic, a 7.5% Violet Crumble stout from Dainton, a 9% Barrel-Aged stout from 8 Wired and the finisher was a 15% Jule Mælk by To Øl...

Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23122
SaintK wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Dark Beer festival at my local this week. Last night I had a 6.7% Chili stout from Ballistic, a 7.5% Violet Crumble stout from Dainton, a 9% Barrel-Aged stout from 8 Wired and the finisher was a 15% Jule Mælk by To Øl...

Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?

Pah, just use a straw.

I had a few of the toil given to me, so a couple of weekends ago, I shared one (yes just one) with my flatmate. I now don't have any left and I can't remember getting home from my kitchen.

It's bloody lovely. I think. It must have been otherwise we wouldn't have drunk the other 5.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:01 am
Posts: 1407
Location: SW London
And in other news, Kernel have just brewed another batch of Imperial Brown Stout so it should be available end of July - I can just about hang on until then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 5378
SFBB wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
I just stocked up with a shedload of heavy Dark beers for the Solstice - it looks like the event will run in July now which is good as the pubs are open properly.

I've been buying way more cases than I ever have but realise, I'm spending less...

It's still weird going into a pub in Sydney. Had a Schnitty and a pint the other night but didn't linger..

I've got significantly more money in my account on a weekly basis despite drinking like a fish at home. I suspect its the cafe food, rather than the pints that are to blame.


My waistline agrees....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5813
Location: 'ertfordshire
happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Dark Beer festival at my local this week. Last night I had a 6.7% Chili stout from Ballistic, a 7.5% Violet Crumble stout from Dainton, a 9% Barrel-Aged stout from 8 Wired and the finisher was a 15% Jule Mælk by To Øl...

Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?

Pah, just use a straw.

I had a few of the toil given to me, so a couple of weekends ago, I shared one (yes just one) with my flatmate. I now don't have any left and I can't remember getting home from my kitchen.

It's bloody lovely. I think. It must have been otherwise we wouldn't have drunk the other 5.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Daughter bought me a couple of Brouwerij De Molen Imperial Stouts one at 10% and one at 12%
Haven't plucked up courage yet


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:01 am
Posts: 1407
Location: SW London
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Dark Beer festival at my local this week. Last night I had a 6.7% Chili stout from Ballistic, a 7.5% Violet Crumble stout from Dainton, a 9% Barrel-Aged stout from 8 Wired and the finisher was a 15% Jule Mælk by To Øl...

Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?

Pah, just use a straw.

I had a few of the toil given to me, so a couple of weekends ago, I shared one (yes just one) with my flatmate. I now don't have any left and I can't remember getting home from my kitchen.

It's bloody lovely. I think. It must have been otherwise we wouldn't have drunk the other 5.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Daughter bought me a couple of Brouwerij De Molen Imperial Stouts one at 10% and one at 12%
Haven't plucked up courage yet

Treat them as the last one of the evening.

I usually finish up on a St Bernardus Abt 12. it's not quite as nice as the Kernel Imperial Brown Stout but it is 1/3 the price.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5813
Location: 'ertfordshire
dinsdale wrote:
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Dark Beer festival at my local this week. Last night I had a 6.7% Chili stout from Ballistic, a 7.5% Violet Crumble stout from Dainton, a 9% Barrel-Aged stout from 8 Wired and the finisher was a 15% Jule Mælk by To Øl...

Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?

Pah, just use a straw.

I had a few of the toil given to me, so a couple of weekends ago, I shared one (yes just one) with my flatmate. I now don't have any left and I can't remember getting home from my kitchen.

It's bloody lovely. I think. It must have been otherwise we wouldn't have drunk the other 5.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Daughter bought me a couple of Brouwerij De Molen Imperial Stouts one at 10% and one at 12%
Haven't plucked up courage yet

Treat them as the last one of the evening.

I usually finish up on a St Bernardus Abt 12. it's not quite as nice as the Kernel Imperial Brown Stout but it is 1/3 the price.

Good thinking! Especially as one of them is named Madmen and Fools!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17273
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
SaintK wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Dark Beer festival at my local this week. Last night I had a 6.7% Chili stout from Ballistic, a 7.5% Violet Crumble stout from Dainton, a 9% Barrel-Aged stout from 8 Wired and the finisher was a 15% Jule Mælk by To Øl...

Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?


330s, but not full...

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23122
Sydney dwellers (and maybe they're available elsewhere in oz) wildflower are kicking out some fantastic beers. I knew topher when he was working for partizan out here and he sent some over.

Mostly barrel aged beers with some open fermentation (except their table beer) they were excellent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 7:12 pm
Posts: 2998
This last few weeks I`ve developed a taste for Hop House 13 lager.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23122
GWO2 wrote:
This last few weeks I`ve developed a taste for Hop House 13 lager.

It's a step in the right direction. Keep trying new things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14623
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar
dinsdale wrote:
And in other news, Kernel have just brewed another batch of Imperial Brown Stout so it should be available end of July - I can just about hang on until then.



Ohhh, I wonder if that will be in my Boxtravaganza set.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23122
Hellraiser wrote:
dinsdale wrote:
And in other news, Kernel have just brewed another batch of Imperial Brown Stout so it should be available end of July - I can just about hang on until then.



Ohhh, I wonder if that will be in my Boxtravaganza set.

i doubt it tbh. you'd be very lucky if there's much unaccounted for.

they've recently brewed a pilsner for the first time in aeons. perfectly okay and technically correct, but, like most craft lagers, actually needs more lagering. lagers are expensive to do properly for smallish breweries


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23122
Oooooh. Sweeping coast by duration is rather good


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:58 am
Posts: 2162
Location: Christchurch NZ
Went to a rare beer festival in Kaiapoi (north of Chch) on saturday and had a couple of these..

Image

Perfect winter beer, big Coffee, big vanilla flavours and 9.99% to boot. Lovely stuff


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12072
Boneface is quality. My brother got me a mixed 6 of theirs and 5 of them were excellent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23122
They're fibbing about the 9.99% bit though


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5813
Location: 'ertfordshire
happyhooker wrote:
Oooooh. Sweeping coast by duration is rather good

Haven't had a bad beer since I started buying from them.
Very consistently good


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12072
happyhooker wrote:
They're fibbing about the 9.99% bit though


Inverted 666, the number of the beast. You’re quick :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23122
mr bungle wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
They're fibbing about the 9.99% bit though


Inverted 666, the number of the beast. You’re quick :thumbup:

Ah, you mean 9.19% then :P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23122
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Oooooh. Sweeping coast by duration is rather good

Haven't had a bad beer since I started buying from them.
Very consistently good

Yup, dinsdale put his money to good use.

I specified that though because west coast ipas have been overshadowed by neipas recently but it remains my favourite style


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:58 am
Posts: 2162
Location: Christchurch NZ
Garage Project have re-brewed their colab with Other Half brewing in Brooklyn USA. One of the best beers in New Zealand last year and currently the #3 on untappd.

Image

Absolutely stunning :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:01 am
Posts: 1407
Location: SW London
happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Oooooh. Sweeping coast by duration is rather good

Haven't had a bad beer since I started buying from them.
Very consistently good

Yup, dinsdale put his money to good use.

I specified that though because west coast ipas have been overshadowed by neipas recently but it remains my favourite style

I know I have a vested interest but I do agree.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 5378
Headed out to Orange next weekend and will be stocking up on Badlands Brewing Company gear

Their Vanuatu Rum barrel stout is the best!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23122
Uk lot. If you actually give a shit about smaller breweries, you should boycott the following larger ones who have actively campaigned to move the tax burden from themselves to the smaller breweries. Hogs Back and Theakstons brewery have been particularly pernicious. All members of the SBDRC who are trying to put smaller breweries out of business. It's a version of what happened 50 years ago and will result in a similar situation which the industry took years to recover from. Basically dropping the production volume before beer duty applies goes from 5000hl pa to 2100hl.

Edit: instead of listing them here's a link to an updating list

https://beernouveau.co.uk/sbdrc-update/

This could be devastating.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5813
Location: 'ertfordshire
happyhooker wrote:
Uk lot. If you actually give a shit about smaller breweries, you should boycott the following larger ones who have actively campaigned to move the tax burden from themselves to the smaller breweries. Hogs Back and Theakstons brewery have been particularly pernicious. All members of the SBDRC who are trying to put smaller breweries out of business. It's a version of what happened 50 years ago and will result in a similar situation which the industry took years to recover from. Basically dropping the production volume before beer duty applies goes from 5000hl pa to 2100hl.

Edit: instead of listing them here's a link to an updating list

https://beernouveau.co.uk/sbdrc-update/

This could be devastating.

F uck that's appalling


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3052
Location: Adopted Lion - Jon Davies
happyhooker wrote:
Uk lot. If you actually give a shit about smaller breweries, you should boycott the following larger ones who have actively campaigned to move the tax burden from themselves to the smaller breweries. Hogs Back and Theakstons brewery have been particularly pernicious. All members of the SBDRC who are trying to put smaller breweries out of business. It's a version of what happened 50 years ago and will result in a similar situation which the industry took years to recover from. Basically dropping the production volume before beer duty applies goes from 5000hl pa to 2100hl.

Edit: instead of listing them here's a link to an updating list

https://beernouveau.co.uk/sbdrc-update/

This could be devastating.


Thanks for sharing the updated list - there were one or two on the first one that surprised me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3243
happyhooker wrote:
Uk lot. If you actually give a shit about smaller breweries, you should boycott the following larger ones who have actively campaigned to move the tax burden from themselves to the smaller breweries. Hogs Back and Theakstons brewery have been particularly pernicious. All members of the SBDRC who are trying to put smaller breweries out of business. It's a version of what happened 50 years ago and will result in a similar situation which the industry took years to recover from. Basically dropping the production volume before beer duty applies goes from 5000hl pa to 2100hl.

Edit: instead of listing them here's a link to an updating list

https://beernouveau.co.uk/sbdrc-update/

This could be devastating.



Well, that scuppers my enjoyment of Landlord. Bugger.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 5378
Craft breweries get massively taxed whilst the Large conglomerates get tax breaks here in Oz


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:01 am
Posts: 1407
Location: SW London
happyhooker wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
dinsdale wrote:
And in other news, Kernel have just brewed another batch of Imperial Brown Stout so it should be available end of July - I can just about hang on until then.



Ohhh, I wonder if that will be in my Boxtravaganza set.

i doubt it tbh. you'd be very lucky if there's much unaccounted for.

they've recently brewed a pilsner for the first time in aeons. perfectly okay and technically correct, but, like most craft lagers, actually needs more lagering. lagers are expensive to do properly for smallish breweries

Kernel Imperial Brown Stout hit their online store this weekend.

My order is placed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17570
Well, Dry July is over for me (I actually started on 30 June, so I've still done a full month) and I've got my Friday sorted...

Image

Close inspection of that photo may show I've already cracked a couple of those open...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:58 am
Posts: 2162
Location: Christchurch NZ
That behemoth "Me Time" :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20723
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Well, Dry July is over for me (I actually started on 30 June, so I've still done a full month) and I've got my Friday sorted...

Image

Close inspection of that photo may show I've already cracked a couple of those open...


I've had most of those. All pretty good if I remember correctly, except hop cha which was pleasant enough but a bit ordinary.

6"5 was one of my favorite IPAs before all started drinking hazys. Must give it another go.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2718 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CarrotGawks, Google Adsense [Bot], Hobo Hooker, Leinsterman, Mick Mannock, Monkey Magic, Mullet 2, Oxbow, pigaaaa, PornDog, Red Revolution, Theflier, topofthemoon and 63 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group