Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2718 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:25 am 

happyhooker wrote:
i meant the sour beer options were much stronger as in better/more varied, but didn't proofread!! still does work to a certain extent.

glad you're well, although i can only shudder in horror at the thought of your original accent mixed with however many years of WAs!!!

Ah there are lots of options here, I was just bemoaning garage projects interesting, but insipid offering.

My accent is as clear as a bell. Always has been.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:03 am 

I just stocked up with a shedload of heavy Dark beers for the Solstice - it looks like the event will run in July now which is good as the pubs are open properly.

I've been buying way more cases than I ever have but realise, I'm spending less...

It's still weird going into a pub in Sydney. Had a Schnitty and a pint the other night but didn't linger..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:25 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
I just stocked up with a shedload of heavy Dark beers for the Solstice - it looks like the event will run in July now which is good as the pubs are open properly.

I've been buying way more cases than I ever have but realise, I'm spending less...

It's still weird going into a pub in Sydney. Had a Schnitty and a pint the other night but didn't linger..

I've got significantly more money in my account on a weekly basis despite drinking like a fish at home. I suspect its the cafe food, rather than the pints that are to blame.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:50 am 

Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Dark Beer festival at my local this week. Last night I had a 6.7% Chili stout from Ballistic, a 7.5% Violet Crumble stout from Dainton, a 9% Barrel-Aged stout from 8 Wired and the finisher was a 15% Jule Mælk by To Øl...

You really are a prizewinning purple stonefruit, TS. :x

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:57 am 

Thomas wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Dark Beer festival at my local this week. Last night I had a 6.7% Chili stout from Ballistic, a 7.5% Violet Crumble stout from Dainton, a 9% Barrel-Aged stout from 8 Wired and the finisher was a 15% Jule Mælk by To Øl...

That's another one of my locals. That beer is tasty as all hell. Keep an eye out for their Sleep When You're Dead Hazy IPA and Hazy IIPA.

I spent a pleasant afternoon in the Crafthaus brewery in Henderson, Nevada a few years ago. The head brewers were an Australian couple who I notice are now brewing at the Wheatsheaf Hotel in Adelaide. I was impressed with their brews at Crafthaus, I assume they have only got more experienced since then.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:15 am 

Taranaki Snapper wrote:

Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:08 pm 

SaintK wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:

Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?

Pah, just use a straw.

I had a few of the toil given to me, so a couple of weekends ago, I shared one (yes just one) with my flatmate. I now don't have any left and I can't remember getting home from my kitchen.

It's bloody lovely. I think. It must have been otherwise we wouldn't have drunk the other 5.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:35 pm 

And in other news, Kernel have just brewed another batch of Imperial Brown Stout so it should be available end of July - I can just about hang on until then.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:32 pm 

SFBB wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

I've got significantly more money in my account on a weekly basis despite drinking like a fish at home. I suspect its the cafe food, rather than the pints that are to blame.

My waistline agrees....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:58 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:

Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?

Pah, just use a straw.

I had a few of the toil given to me, so a couple of weekends ago, I shared one (yes just one) with my flatmate. I now don't have any left and I can't remember getting home from my kitchen.

It's bloody lovely. I think. It must have been otherwise we wouldn't have drunk the other 5.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Daughter bought me a couple of Brouwerij De Molen Imperial Stouts one at 10% and one at 12%
Haven't plucked up courage yet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:22 pm 

SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:

Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?

Pah, just use a straw.

Daughter bought me a couple of Brouwerij De Molen Imperial Stouts one at 10% and one at 12%

Treat them as the last one of the evening.

I usually finish up on a St Bernardus Abt 12. it's not quite as nice as the Kernel Imperial Brown Stout but it is 1/3 the price.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:38 am 

dinsdale wrote:
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:

Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?

Pah, just use a straw.

Treat them as the last one of the evening.

I usually finish up on a St Bernardus Abt 12. it's not quite as nice as the Kernel Imperial Brown Stout but it is 1/3 the price.

Good thinking! Especially as one of them is named Madmen and Fools!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:34 am 

SaintK wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:

Holy shit!!!
What size glasses?

330s, but not full...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:35 am 

Sydney dwellers (and maybe they're available elsewhere in oz) wildflower are kicking out some fantastic beers. I knew topher when he was working for partizan out here and he sent some over.

Mostly barrel aged beers with some open fermentation (except their table beer) they were excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:38 pm 

This last few weeks I`ve developed a taste for Hop House 13 lager.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:04 pm 

GWO2 wrote:
This last few weeks I`ve developed a taste for Hop House 13 lager.

It's a step in the right direction. Keep trying new things.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:17 pm 

dinsdale wrote:
And in other news, Kernel have just brewed another batch of Imperial Brown Stout so it should be available end of July - I can just about hang on until then.

Ohhh, I wonder if that will be in my Boxtravaganza set.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:52 pm 

Hellraiser wrote:
dinsdale wrote:

i doubt it tbh. you'd be very lucky if there's much unaccounted for.

they've recently brewed a pilsner for the first time in aeons. perfectly okay and technically correct, but, like most craft lagers, actually needs more lagering. lagers are expensive to do properly for smallish breweries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:27 pm 

Oooooh. Sweeping coast by duration is rather good

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:30 pm 

Went to a rare beer festival in Kaiapoi (north of Chch) on saturday and had a couple of these..

Perfect winter beer, big Coffee, big vanilla flavours and 9.99% to boot. Lovely stuff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:18 am 

Boneface is quality. My brother got me a mixed 6 of theirs and 5 of them were excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:07 pm 

They're fibbing about the 9.99% bit though

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:25 pm 

happyhooker wrote:

Haven't had a bad beer since I started buying from them.
Very consistently good

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:25 pm 

happyhooker wrote:

Inverted 666, the number of the beast. You’re quick :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:06 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Inverted 666, the number of the beast. You’re quick :thumbup:

Ah, you mean 9.19% then :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:08 pm 

SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Very consistently good

Yup, dinsdale put his money to good use.

I specified that though because west coast ipas have been overshadowed by neipas recently but it remains my favourite style

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:28 am 

Garage Project have re-brewed their colab with Other Half brewing in Brooklyn USA. One of the best beers in New Zealand last year and currently the #3 on untappd.

Absolutely stunning :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:08 am 

happyhooker wrote:
SaintK wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Very consistently good

Yup, dinsdale put his money to good use.

I specified that though because west coast ipas have been overshadowed by neipas recently but it remains my favourite style

I know I have a vested interest but I do agree.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:40 am 

Headed out to Orange next weekend and will be stocking up on Badlands Brewing Company gear

Their Vanuatu Rum barrel stout is the best!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:39 pm 

Uk lot. If you actually give a shit about smaller breweries, you should boycott the following larger ones who have actively campaigned to move the tax burden from themselves to the smaller breweries. Hogs Back and Theakstons brewery have been particularly pernicious. All members of the SBDRC who are trying to put smaller breweries out of business. It's a version of what happened 50 years ago and will result in a similar situation which the industry took years to recover from. Basically dropping the production volume before beer duty applies goes from 5000hl pa to 2100hl.

Edit: instead of listing them here's a link to an updating list

https://beernouveau.co.uk/sbdrc-update/

This could be devastating.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:06 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Uk lot. If you actually give a shit about smaller breweries, you should boycott the following larger ones who have actively campaigned to move the tax burden from themselves to the smaller breweries. Hogs Back and Theakstons brewery have been particularly pernicious. All members of the SBDRC who are trying to put smaller breweries out of business. It's a version of what happened 50 years ago and will result in a similar situation which the industry took years to recover from. Basically dropping the production volume before beer duty applies goes from 5000hl pa to 2100hl.

F uck that's appalling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:25 am 

happyhooker wrote:

Thanks for sharing the updated list - there were one or two on the first one that surprised me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:28 am 

happyhooker wrote:

Well, that scuppers my enjoyment of Landlord. Bugger.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:11 am 

Craft breweries get massively taxed whilst the Large conglomerates get tax breaks here in Oz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:52 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
dinsdale wrote:

i doubt it tbh. you'd be very lucky if there's much unaccounted for.

they've recently brewed a pilsner for the first time in aeons. perfectly okay and technically correct, but, like most craft lagers, actually needs more lagering. lagers are expensive to do properly for smallish breweries

Kernel Imperial Brown Stout hit their online store this weekend.

My order is placed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:18 am 

Well, Dry July is over for me (I actually started on 30 June, so I've still done a full month) and I've got my Friday sorted...

Close inspection of that photo may show I've already cracked a couple of those open...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:36 am 

That behemoth "Me Time" :nod:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:16 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Well, Dry July is over for me (I actually started on 30 June, so I've still done a full month) and I've got my Friday sorted...

Close inspection of that photo may show I've already cracked a couple of those open...

I've had most of those. All pretty good if I remember correctly, except hop cha which was pleasant enough but a bit ordinary.

6"5 was one of my favorite IPAs before all started drinking hazys. Must give it another go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2718 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68