Investing

All things Rugby
bimboman
Posts: 70318
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by bimboman »

backrow wrote:
bimboman wrote:Have a plan for when those mortgages run out Yeeb. Make sure they mature at differant times.
Just keep on refinancing on the int only ones , they are no nearer being paid off than when I started .
Working back in time 25 years, finding say 50k to repay a house now worth 500k should not be too much of a problem. Ultimate aim would be to sell one of them off to fully repay everything else, but am still in the accumulation phase of my life. Will wait for my old man to pop off before I think about paying anything off, he's 82 but as stubborn as me so will be around a while still I reckon.

Fair play on the investment and the plan, the only issue is not being able to refinance (if you're 25 years older than now , you won't get mortgages easily). I for example am having to buy a big block of property to get lending as my declared income wouldn't support the mortgages and I'm old, I'm talking about only borrowing 50% as well.
backrow
Posts: 23226
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by backrow »

TranceNRG wrote:
backrow wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
backrow wrote:For the private investor , I think some form of tracker should be the main regular component. Personally I am wary of active managers, seeing as only a few percent of them beat 'the market' over the long term. I also have self select share isas as I like the buzz of investing and making my own decisions. Presume this thread is not for non share and fund based investments like property or fine wines.
True but there are still actively managed funds that have beaten tracker funds over 5 years, 10 years. People like Terry Smith and Nick Train have consistently beaten the market thus rated highly by analysts on Morningstar and Trustnet. I am happy with my choice of active funds at the moment but I'm looking to reduce the number of funds.

Definitely share your investment property (and other types) success stories. Where are your properties and are they flats or houses?

Property - house and 3 flats in London , mix of new build and do er uppers

Family property in Devon , Edinburgh , South Africa and Romania

Shares - strictly try to follow the Ben graham / Seth klarman style value investing, still currently building up dividend yielding blue chips. Research a company, invest, if price goes down, buy some more. Re invest all dividends. Will give you an example of how this works: bought house builder persimmon back in March at 20 quid. Within six weeks was at 22 quid. Brexit vote, price crashed to 13 quid. Got some more. Price now 18 quid, am up overall. I was happy in my initial decision to invest and thought their sales would increase - misjudged the brexit vote totally but took opportunity to buy some more shares cheaply, rather than panic sell.

This doesn't always work, have lost plenty on tesco for example
Currently I have a property in West London but I may well buy a flat somewhere in the UK(BTL) in a few years time.
Would you consider buying anymore now that the stamp duty fees have gone up for BTL properties?
Of course ! Sure I will need to stump up say ten k more initially , and mean it takes a bit longer to make a profit , but if it goes up 20k in a year then it's still a decent investment .
Ideally I want to find a shithole that I can spend 20k doing up to add 40k onto its value.
If a few k extra tax will make or break your investment decision then it's probably a bit too risky anyway to be viable

Sadly I do have finite pots of money for deposit so not sure if or when another purchase will take place - with 3 kids I am kept quite busy !
User avatar
Yourmother
Posts: 12257
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by Yourmother »

TranceNRG wrote:
Yourmother wrote:If you are happy with your funds, but just want to cut back, you do have a lot of overlap there in terms of asset classes.

Vanguard US Index as well as Old Mutual North America. I presume the latter is pretty much US anyway. Not to mention fundsmith has 60% US.

You have so many UK equity funds as well, which I'm sure could be reduced and without losing exposure to niche segments. You've got micro cap (patient), equity income, small cap, mid cap, as well as having a broad UK fund in Lindsell.

Anyway, I suggest you group them in terms of asset class, and thin from there.


You might want to consider Corp bonds, global property as well (HSBC do a great one).
Yep, the reason I want to reduce the number of funds is because the asset classes overlap plus it's just easier to manage when you don't have so many funds but pretty much all my funds have returned decent profit. I bought most of these couple of years ago when I was starting out.

The Fidelity moneybuilder account mainly invests in corporate bonds. I did have the Blackrock global corporate bond tracker but sold it.
Well, you generally picked some seriously good performing funds if you chose them 2 years ago. Except maybe the hyped patient capital trust. Though, am sure Woodford knows what he's doing.
User avatar
nuffsaid
Posts: 3285
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:50 am
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...

Re: Investing

Post by nuffsaid »

Rare books. First editions and quirky collectables.
User avatar
globus
Posts: 52706
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Oundle

Re: Investing

Post by globus »

nuffsaid wrote:Rare books. First editions and quirky collectables.
My brother D has done that. He has the most amazing collection of first editions and Dinky and Matchbox toys.

All absolutely pristine and in their original immaculate boxes.

I used to play with them. He collected them.

Not a lot of good if you don't want to sell them though and that lot will go to his grave.

He's also got some interesting musical instruments.

I went into property. Capital Gains is a bit of a sod, but I'm doing OK. The rentals are a nice source of income.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 39766
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by Duff Paddy »

Coin base IPO today. Seems very pricey.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/shoul ... 1618254467
backrow
Posts: 23226
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by backrow »

Shame I can’t go back in time and tell myself to avoid Carillion :(

Luckily that was outweighed by BP @200, shell @1030 plus some of the other bargains I got a year ago
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12935
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Investing

Post by Mog The Almighty »

I hold the view that the stock market is more or less gambling. Nobody really knows what they're doing, although some people make a good living from dressing up in suites and pretending they do.

One pretty safe gamble is to invest in green energy, and I have done that, and heavily.

The logic behind that is that the world economy is still largely run by a bunch of white-haried, conservative men. A lot of them don't buy into this "environmental crap". Some significant percentage don't believe in climate change or think it's all grossly exaggerated.

If you believe in science, then climate change is real, and very serious, and the world is going to have to deal with it. My stock-market bet is that whether we actually fix the problem or not, we're going to give it a good crack. We've already started down that path.

Investing in green energy now while there's still enough unscientific denialism going on in legitimate conservative financial circles so as you have not "missed the boat", seems like a very good bet. Of course to the loons that makes you a "shill" who is making money from "big green". Whatever. Leave them to their delusions and their poor investments in coal or whatever.

I've actually made enormous profits using this strategy already, although they took a good whack over the last month or two for some reason, that was nothing compared to the profit over the past few years.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
sewa
Posts: 22080
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by sewa »

Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:54 am Coin base IPO today. Seems very pricey.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/shoul ... 1618254467
The amount of people I know who tried to register on that disaster of a site and gave up. I submitted my passport, visa bill etc. Ended up in Crypto.com and Etoro instead.
bimboman
Posts: 70318
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by bimboman »

sewa wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:54 am Coin base IPO today. Seems very pricey.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/shoul ... 1618254467
The amount of people I know who tried to register on that disaster of a site and gave up. I submitted my passport, visa bill etc. Ended up in Crypto.com and Etoro instead.

Oh dear.

What on earth made you think that was sensible ?
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 39766
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by Duff Paddy »

I hold the view that the stock market is more or less gambling.
Not really
bimboman
Posts: 70318
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by bimboman »

Mog , you’re right about “green” investment just for all the wrong reasons .
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12935
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Investing

Post by Mog The Almighty »

bimboman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:34 am Mog , you’re right about “green” investment just for all the wrong reasons .
:roll: Sure they're the wrong reasons.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 25770
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by Mick Mannock »

Coinbase is a turd of a site.

Support is very poor. I will not go anywhere near them.
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 17883
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: Investing

Post by Zakar »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:18 am I hold the view that the stock market is more or less gambling. Nobody really knows what they're doing, although some people make a good living from dressing up in suites and pretending they do.

One pretty safe gamble is to invest in green energy, and I have done that, and heavily.

The logic behind that is that the world economy is still largely run by a bunch of white-haried, conservative men. A lot of them don't buy into this "environmental crap". Some significant percentage don't believe in climate change or think it's all grossly exaggerated.

If you believe in science, then climate change is real, and very serious, and the world is going to have to deal with it. My stock-market bet is that whether we actually fix the problem or not, we're going to give it a good crack. We've already started down that path.

Investing in green energy now while there's still enough unscientific denialism going on in legitimate conservative financial circles so as you have not "missed the boat", seems like a very good bet. Of course to the loons that makes you a "shill" who is making money from "big green". Whatever. Leave them to their delusions and their poor investments in coal or whatever.

I've actually made enormous profits using this strategy already, although they took a good whack over the last month or two for some reason, that was nothing compared to the profit over the past few years.
All investment with anything beyond immaterial returns has an element of risk. Does risk make it gambling?

"Gambling is the wagering of money or something of value on an event with an uncertain outcome, with the primary intent of winning money"

Pretty close to describing all investing. You just get usually lower returns than traditional gambling, with a massively decreased chance you'll lose your initial investment.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 22022
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by shanky »

Mog decries investing as gambling

Whilst gambling on a the success of single investment type

You couldn’t make it up.

:lol:
User avatar
sewa
Posts: 22080
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by sewa »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:13 am Coinbase is a turd of a site.

Support is very poor. I will not go anywhere near them.
They will get eaten up by the competition surely. Won't be getting my coins anyway.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12935
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Investing

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Zakar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:15 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:18 am I hold the view that the stock market is more or less gambling. Nobody really knows what they're doing, although some people make a good living from dressing up in suites and pretending they do.

One pretty safe gamble is to invest in green energy, and I have done that, and heavily.

The logic behind that is that the world economy is still largely run by a bunch of white-haried, conservative men. A lot of them don't buy into this "environmental crap". Some significant percentage don't believe in climate change or think it's all grossly exaggerated.

If you believe in science, then climate change is real, and very serious, and the world is going to have to deal with it. My stock-market bet is that whether we actually fix the problem or not, we're going to give it a good crack. We've already started down that path.

Investing in green energy now while there's still enough unscientific denialism going on in legitimate conservative financial circles so as you have not "missed the boat", seems like a very good bet. Of course to the loons that makes you a "shill" who is making money from "big green". Whatever. Leave them to their delusions and their poor investments in coal or whatever.

I've actually made enormous profits using this strategy already, although they took a good whack over the last month or two for some reason, that was nothing compared to the profit over the past few years.
All investment with anything beyond immaterial returns has an element of risk. Does risk make it gambling?

"Gambling is the wagering of money or something of value on an event with an uncertain outcome, with the primary intent of winning money"

Pretty close to describing all investing. You just get usually lower returns than traditional gambling, with a massively decreased chance you'll lose your initial investment.
Yes, it's very close. Obviously I wouldn't do it if I thought it was like playing poker machines. It's entirely possible to expect a positive ROI when investing. But it's still gambling in a sense.
shanky wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:24 am Mog decries investing as gambling

Whilst gambling on a the success of single investment type

You couldn’t make it up.

:lol:
Sigh.

I didn't "decry" anything and you can make up whatever you like.

I am seriously getting sick of PR these days. Seems every innocuous little comment need be challenged by some twat trying to score foruming points. It's tedious nonsense. As if I'm the first one in the history of the world to compare the stock market to gambling. ffs.

I think it's time for a long break.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAC_
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Re: Investing

Post by DAC_ »

I only have a medium risk S&S ISA. It's quite entertaining catching up with the daily swings. It's doing really rather well at the moment.

Going to dip a small toe into Crypto this weekend. Xrp & something really volatile just for a laugh.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 22022
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by shanky »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:47 am
Zakar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:15 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:18 am I hold the view that the stock market is more or less gambling. Nobody really knows what they're doing, although some people make a good living from dressing up in suites and pretending they do.

One pretty safe gamble is to invest in green energy, and I have done that, and heavily.

The logic behind that is that the world economy is still largely run by a bunch of white-haried, conservative men. A lot of them don't buy into this "environmental crap". Some significant percentage don't believe in climate change or think it's all grossly exaggerated.

If you believe in science, then climate change is real, and very serious, and the world is going to have to deal with it. My stock-market bet is that whether we actually fix the problem or not, we're going to give it a good crack. We've already started down that path.

Investing in green energy now while there's still enough unscientific denialism going on in legitimate conservative financial circles so as you have not "missed the boat", seems like a very good bet. Of course to the loons that makes you a "shill" who is making money from "big green". Whatever. Leave them to their delusions and their poor investments in coal or whatever.

I've actually made enormous profits using this strategy already, although they took a good whack over the last month or two for some reason, that was nothing compared to the profit over the past few years.
All investment with anything beyond immaterial returns has an element of risk. Does risk make it gambling?

"Gambling is the wagering of money or something of value on an event with an uncertain outcome, with the primary intent of winning money"

Pretty close to describing all investing. You just get usually lower returns than traditional gambling, with a massively decreased chance you'll lose your initial investment.
Yes, it's very close. Obviously I wouldn't do it if I thought it was like playing poker machines. It's entirely possible to expect a positive ROI when investing. But it's still gambling in a sense.
shanky wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:24 am Mog decries investing as gambling

Whilst gambling on a the success of single investment type

You couldn’t make it up.

:lol:
Sigh.

I didn't "decry" anything and you can make up whatever you like.

I am seriously getting sick of PR these days. Seems every innocuous little comment need be challenged by some twat trying to score foruming points. It's tedious nonsense. As if I'm the first one in the history of the world to compare the stock market to gambling. ffs.

I think it's time for a long break.
:lol:
I hold the view that the stock market is more or less gambling. Nobody really knows what they're doing, although some people make a good living from dressing up in suites and pretending they do.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 25770
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by Mick Mannock »

DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:48 am I only have a medium risk S&S ISA. It's quite entertaining catching up with the daily swings. It's doing really rather well at the moment.

Going to dip a small toe into Crypto this weekend. Xrp & something really volatile just for a laugh.
They are just about all volatile.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12935
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Investing

Post by Mog The Almighty »

shanky wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:51 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:47 am
Zakar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:15 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:18 am I hold the view that the stock market is more or less gambling. Nobody really knows what they're doing, although some people make a good living from dressing up in suites and pretending they do.

One pretty safe gamble is to invest in green energy, and I have done that, and heavily.

The logic behind that is that the world economy is still largely run by a bunch of white-haried, conservative men. A lot of them don't buy into this "environmental crap". Some significant percentage don't believe in climate change or think it's all grossly exaggerated.

If you believe in science, then climate change is real, and very serious, and the world is going to have to deal with it. My stock-market bet is that whether we actually fix the problem or not, we're going to give it a good crack. We've already started down that path.

Investing in green energy now while there's still enough unscientific denialism going on in legitimate conservative financial circles so as you have not "missed the boat", seems like a very good bet. Of course to the loons that makes you a "shill" who is making money from "big green". Whatever. Leave them to their delusions and their poor investments in coal or whatever.

I've actually made enormous profits using this strategy already, although they took a good whack over the last month or two for some reason, that was nothing compared to the profit over the past few years.
All investment with anything beyond immaterial returns has an element of risk. Does risk make it gambling?

"Gambling is the wagering of money or something of value on an event with an uncertain outcome, with the primary intent of winning money"

Pretty close to describing all investing. You just get usually lower returns than traditional gambling, with a massively decreased chance you'll lose your initial investment.
Yes, it's very close. Obviously I wouldn't do it if I thought it was like playing poker machines. It's entirely possible to expect a positive ROI when investing. But it's still gambling in a sense.
shanky wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:24 am Mog decries investing as gambling

Whilst gambling on a the success of single investment type

You couldn’t make it up.

:lol:
Sigh.

I didn't "decry" anything and you can make up whatever you like.

I am seriously getting sick of PR these days. Seems every innocuous little comment need be challenged by some twat trying to score foruming points. It's tedious nonsense. As if I'm the first one in the history of the world to compare the stock market to gambling. ffs.

I think it's time for a long break.
:lol:
I hold the view that the stock market is more or less gambling. Nobody really knows what they're doing, although some people make a good living from dressing up in suites and pretending they do.
laugh it up you mong.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 25770
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by Mick Mannock »

I am seriously getting sick of PR these days. Seems every innocuous little comment need be challenged by some twat trying to score foruming points. It's tedious nonsense. As if I'm the first one in the history of the world to compare the stock market to gambling. ffs.

I think it's time for a long break.
I think it has got worse since Covid. Some people do seem to cope badly. Understandable.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 22022
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by shanky »

Your pension/super is being ‘gambled’ on the stock market, right now.

If you can’t see the logical link between you betting on one type of asset, whilst criticising the vehicle that sustains yoir retirement nest egg, then perhaps you’re the mong in this scenario.
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 14182
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: Investing

Post by MungoMan »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:10 am
bimboman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:34 am Mog , you’re right about “green” investment just for all the wrong reasons .
:roll: Sure they're the wrong reasons.
Yeah well, I think you're both correct. And not because I'm a reflexive conciliator. That aint me.

If I've understood your point: your decision to invest is based on a belief that investment is self-evidently socially necessary and for that reason you probably won't be backing a lame horse provided you've spread your money around a bit.

If I'm half-right re Bimbo's point, he's looked at the state of the green investment market and, from market activity alone, decided there are winners and (still remunerative) place-getters to be picked.
DAC_
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Re: Investing

Post by DAC_ »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:52 am
DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:48 am I only have a medium risk S&S ISA. It's quite entertaining catching up with the daily swings. It's doing really rather well at the moment.

Going to dip a small toe into Crypto this weekend. Xrp & something really volatile just for a laugh.
They are just about all volatile.
Of course, what I mean was something really, really cheap like TRX and buy a stack of it.
User avatar
The Sun God
Posts: 13245
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Best country in the world.

Re: Investing

Post by The Sun God »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:13 am Coinbase is a turd of a site.

Support is very poor. I will not go anywhere near them.
I have had an account with them for a couple of years now....no issues.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 25770
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by Mick Mannock »

The Sun God wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:19 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:13 am Coinbase is a turd of a site.

Support is very poor. I will not go anywhere near them.
I have had an account with them for a couple of years now....no issues.
Was all fine for months. They than needed to re-do my KYC stuff. A nightmare from then on. Restrictions on the account.

Mostly using Kucoin, Binance, Crypto, Uniswap now
Mick Mannock
Posts: 25770
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by Mick Mannock »

DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:10 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:52 am
DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:48 am I only have a medium risk S&S ISA. It's quite entertaining catching up with the daily swings. It's doing really rather well at the moment.

Going to dip a small toe into Crypto this weekend. Xrp & something really volatile just for a laugh.
They are just about all volatile.
Of course, what I mean was something really, really cheap like TRX and buy a stack of it.
MTV is cheap - just sayin'
Dozy
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:17 pm

Re: Investing

Post by Dozy »

I don't trust any of the sites since I lost loads on BTC-E a few years back. I keep quite a large sum on Binance but I kinda trust them guys from talking to them for years on Wechat.
DAC_
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Re: Investing

Post by DAC_ »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:29 am
DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:10 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:52 am
DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:48 am I only have a medium risk S&S ISA. It's quite entertaining catching up with the daily swings. It's doing really rather well at the moment.

Going to dip a small toe into Crypto this weekend. Xrp & something really volatile just for a laugh.
They are just about all volatile.
Of course, what I mean was something really, really cheap like TRX and buy a stack of it.
MTV is cheap - just sayin'
That is cheap. May buy 25,000 of those. Obviously I haven't a clue what I'm doing and just having a laugh with a few hundred quid.
bimboman
Posts: 70318
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:10 am
bimboman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:34 am Mog , you’re right about “green” investment just for all the wrong reasons .
:roll: Sure they're the wrong reasons.


Of course they are.

You’re right to invest there though, geo politically it’s control eventually in the Middle East and over Putin. With a great good guy / bad guy narrative.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12935
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Investing

Post by Mog The Almighty »

MungoMan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:59 am If I've understood your point: your decision to invest is based on a belief that investment is self-evidently socially necessary and for that reason you probably won't be backing a lame horse provided you've spread your money around a bit.
My reasoning is fairly simple. It is that usually, once it becomes obvious that something is a good investment, it's too late. By the time us plebs know about it, the stocks have already been driven way up.

In this particular case, the conservative-white-haired old men who are usually responsible for that, are broadly speaking, a demography slow to accept the scientific reality of climate change, and thus also slow to accept the potential profit of investing in green stock options. Many of them are still even putting their money on the dead horse: coal and oil.

That means there is still an opportunity there to get in on a good thing while it's still relatively near the ground floor. Obviously not what it was ten or twenty years ago, but the ship has not yet sailed. So as long the unscientific sentiment regarding enviornmental protection still exists in the corridors of power, my gamble is that it's profitable to invest in green energy. In other words, put your money on the scientific consensus.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 39766
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by Duff Paddy »

DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:43 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:29 am
DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:10 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:52 am
DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:48 am I only have a medium risk S&S ISA. It's quite entertaining catching up with the daily swings. It's doing really rather well at the moment.

Going to dip a small toe into Crypto this weekend. Xrp & something really volatile just for a laugh.
They are just about all volatile.
Of course, what I mean was something really, really cheap like TRX and buy a stack of it.
MTV is cheap - just sayin'
That is cheap. May buy 25,000 of those. Obviously I haven't a clue what I'm doing and just having a laugh with a few hundred quid.
Crypto is like actually like gambling it’s mental.

I was hoping this thread would be more for proper share investing chat
DAC_
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Re: Investing

Post by DAC_ »

Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:29 pm
DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:43 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:29 am
DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:10 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:52 am

They are just about all volatile.
Of course, what I mean was something really, really cheap like TRX and buy a stack of it.
MTV is cheap - just sayin'
That is cheap. May buy 25,000 of those. Obviously I haven't a clue what I'm doing and just having a laugh with a few hundred quid.
Crypto is like actually like gambling it’s mental.

I was hoping this thread would be more for proper share investing chat
Feel free, and I mean this, to put me on mute.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 39766
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by Duff Paddy »

DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:29 pm
DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:43 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:29 am
DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:10 am

Of course, what I mean was something really, really cheap like TRX and buy a stack of it.
MTV is cheap - just sayin'
That is cheap. May buy 25,000 of those. Obviously I haven't a clue what I'm doing and just having a laugh with a few hundred quid.
Crypto is like actually like gambling it’s mental.

I was hoping this thread would be more for proper share investing chat
Feel free, and I mean this, to put me on mute.
Why would I do that? You’re one of the funniest posters on this site.
backrow
Posts: 23226
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by backrow »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:19 pm
MungoMan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:59 am If I've understood your point: your decision to invest is based on a belief that investment is self-evidently socially necessary and for that reason you probably won't be backing a lame horse provided you've spread your money around a bit.
My reasoning is fairly simple. It is that usually, once it becomes obvious that something is a good investment, it's too late. By the time us plebs know about it, the stocks have already been driven way up.

In this particular case, the conservative-white-haired old men who are usually responsible for that, are broadly speaking, a demography slow to accept the scientific reality of climate change, and thus also slow to accept the potential profit of investing in green stock options. Many of them are still even putting their money on the dead horse: coal and oil.

That means there is still an opportunity there to get in on a good thing while it's still relatively near the ground floor. Obviously not what it was ten or twenty years ago, but the ship has not yet sailed. So as long the unscientific sentiment regarding enviornmental protection still exists in the corridors of power, my gamble is that it's profitable to invest in green energy. In other words, put your money on the scientific consensus.
Mog, you do realise which companies own an awful lot of green tech & capacity don’t you ?
It’s oil companies like Bp who buy up projects and firms left right and centre like Lightsource, chargemaster etc. They own 70% of the worlds green tech (annoyingly can’t find the source of this ) yet spend about one percent of their budget on them. All of the oil majors are investing billions into renewables.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 25770
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by Mick Mannock »

Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:29 pm
DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:43 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:29 am
DAC_ wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:10 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:52 am

They are just about all volatile.
Of course, what I mean was something really, really cheap like TRX and buy a stack of it.
MTV is cheap - just sayin'
That is cheap. May buy 25,000 of those. Obviously I haven't a clue what I'm doing and just having a laugh with a few hundred quid.
Crypto is like actually like gambling it’s mental.

I was hoping this thread would be more for proper share investing chat
OK grand dad.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12935
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Investing

Post by Mog The Almighty »

backrow wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:32 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:19 pm
MungoMan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:59 am If I've understood your point: your decision to invest is based on a belief that investment is self-evidently socially necessary and for that reason you probably won't be backing a lame horse provided you've spread your money around a bit.
My reasoning is fairly simple. It is that usually, once it becomes obvious that something is a good investment, it's too late. By the time us plebs know about it, the stocks have already been driven way up.

In this particular case, the conservative-white-haired old men who are usually responsible for that, are broadly speaking, a demography slow to accept the scientific reality of climate change, and thus also slow to accept the potential profit of investing in green stock options. Many of them are still even putting their money on the dead horse: coal and oil.

That means there is still an opportunity there to get in on a good thing while it's still relatively near the ground floor. Obviously not what it was ten or twenty years ago, but the ship has not yet sailed. So as long the unscientific sentiment regarding enviornmental protection still exists in the corridors of power, my gamble is that it's profitable to invest in green energy. In other words, put your money on the scientific consensus.
Mog, you do realise which companies own an awful lot of green tech & capacity don’t you ?
It’s oil companies like Bp who buy up projects and firms left right and centre like Lightsource, chargemaster etc. They own 70% of the worlds green tech (annoyingly can’t find the source of this ) yet spend about one percent of their budget on them. All of the oil majors are investing billions into renewables.
To be clear, I don't care if Hitler invested in them. I'm not making a political statement here. I'm (attempting, at-least) to make a wise investment. And if one is making a political statement by not investing in them, I'd suggest that person is a fool both financially and scientifically.

Of course traditional energy companies are investing in green energy. But they're still dragging their feet. That they're only investing 1% currently examplifies my theory on this ... a) by all rights they should be investing a shit tonne more already; b) one day in the not too distant future, they will be investing a shit tonne more. Best to get in before that time, right? That's my bet anyway, it's all a bit of a gamble.
backrow
Posts: 23226
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Investing

Post by backrow »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:46 pm
backrow wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:32 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:19 pm
MungoMan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:59 am If I've understood your point: your decision to invest is based on a belief that investment is self-evidently socially necessary and for that reason you probably won't be backing a lame horse provided you've spread your money around a bit.
My reasoning is fairly simple. It is that usually, once it becomes obvious that something is a good investment, it's too late. By the time us plebs know about it, the stocks have already been driven way up.

In this particular case, the conservative-white-haired old men who are usually responsible for that, are broadly speaking, a demography slow to accept the scientific reality of climate change, and thus also slow to accept the potential profit of investing in green stock options. Many of them are still even putting their money on the dead horse: coal and oil.

That means there is still an opportunity there to get in on a good thing while it's still relatively near the ground floor. Obviously not what it was ten or twenty years ago, but the ship has not yet sailed. So as long the unscientific sentiment regarding enviornmental protection still exists in the corridors of power, my gamble is that it's profitable to invest in green energy. In other words, put your money on the scientific consensus.
Mog, you do realise which companies own an awful lot of green tech & capacity don’t you ?
It’s oil companies like Bp who buy up projects and firms left right and centre like Lightsource, chargemaster etc. They own 70% of the worlds green tech (annoyingly can’t find the source of this ) yet spend about one percent of their budget on them. All of the oil majors are investing billions into renewables.
To be clear, I don't care if Hitler invested in them. I'm not making a political statement here. I'm (attempting, at-least) to make a wise investment. And if one is making a political statement by not investing in them, I'd suggest that person is a fool both financially and scientifically.

Of course traditional energy companies are investing in green energy. But they're still dragging their feet. That they're only investing 1% currently examplifies my theory on this ... a) by all rights they should be investing a shit tonne more already; b) one day in the not too distant future, they will be investing a shit tonne more. Best to get in before that time, right? That's my bet anyway, it's all a bit of a gamble.
Mog you must have some Irish blood here because you are contradicting yourself.
Their 1% far exceeds all the hippies and hippy investors combined, can you not see this ? Any green company worth investing in, they buy up. If you want to invest in green issues, buy Oil major shares. They only invest 1% because right now that’s all that’s commercially worth to them, not because they are dragging their heels youbdaft sod. If you can spot a hippy company before an oil one buys it, that will be the wisest investment - but from the sound of it you are buying the listed green shit that nobody else wants yet because it’s not making money. Hardly a wise investemetn strategy.
Post Reply