iPhone 7 - no headphone jack?

All things Rugby
RodneyRegis

iPhone 7 - no headphone jack?

Post by RodneyRegis »

Surely this is a wind-up.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/business- ... cqA7L.html

How long will it take to lose those little fuckers? And the ridiculous lightning jack?

Fanbois, come at me.
Sandstorm

Re: iPhone 7 - no headphone jack?

Post by Sandstorm »

I'm happy. Even better sound into a set of Lightning-cabled headphones. :thumbup:
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

Sandstorm wrote:I'm happy. Even better sound into a set of Lightning-cabled headphones. :thumbup:
Bluetooth is where it's at old timer.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Insane_Homer wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:I'm happy. Even better sound into a set of Lightning-cabled headphones. :thumbup:
Bluetooth sound terrible, even the aptX version :lol:
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Sandstorm wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:
Not if you buy a pair of Apple's top of the range wireless Beats headphones for £799.99 + VAT. They honestly out-perform a £20 pair of Sennheisers.
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

Sandstorm wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:
I'm confused, don't all apple twats buy Beats?

edit; beaten to the punch
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

RodneyRegis wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:
Not if you buy a pair of Apple's top of the range wireless Beats headphones for £799.99 + VAT. They honestly out-perform a £20 pair of Sennheisers.
:x
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Apparently the new watch will have GPS - what did the old one do!?
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Insane_Homer wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:
I'm confused, don't all apple twats buy Beats?

edit; beaten to the punch
I saw all my favourite footballers wearing Beats headphones, and they can afford the best that money can buy.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

i wonder if you can, you know, telephone someone on it?
troglodiet

Post by troglodiet »

I think the article covers the reason for its exclusion pretty well actually.

I've been wondering for a couple of years now why we still have to include 56-year old technology in a 2016 state-of-the-art mobile device (not that I consider iPhones to be state of the art though).

But at last they're getting rid of it, and Samsung and the other manufacturers will follow suit, which means it's the end for such a stupid thing to have in a device.

The 3.5mm Jack is effectively an analogue connection, and as such a usb or similar connection will be better suited for modern digital earphones.

Look at the size of the connector, and you'll realise it's probably 1/10th the size of the battery. By eliminating such a wasted piece of space, they can incorporate a battery that's at least 10% better, whilst maintaining, probably improving, the audio output of the device.

So at long long last it's gone. May it never return. Bit surprised it was Apple who made the change tbh. I thought it was going to be Samsung or LG, or even more possibly one of the smaller players like Huawei.

In other Apple news, the Apple stores are also a thing of the past. You won't be able to queue throughout the night in front of an Apple store to get your hands on the iPhone 7.

They're dropping the "store" part from the name, so the store previously known as "Apple store" will from now on be a store just called "Apple". Where you'll still have to queue 18 hours just to get your hands on the latest and greatest Apple device.

They must have spent a fortune on a marketing consultant who took 6 months of "intense marketing research" to come up with that brilliant idea.

Consultants - average people appearing clever to dumb people. And making a fortune in the process :lol:
Last edited by troglodiet on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Enzedder wrote:i wonder if you can, you know, telephone someone on it?
Yes, you can. If you just want a phone you can get a handset for a fiver. Not sure what your point is.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

troglodiet wrote:I think the article covers the reason for its exclusion pretty well actually.

I've been wondering for a couple of years now why we still have to include 56-year old technology in a 2016 state-of-the-art mobile device (not that I consider iPhones to be state of the art though).

But at last they're getting rid of it, and Samsung and the other manufacturers will follow suit, which means it's the end for such a stupid thing to have in a device.

The 3.5mm Jack is effectively an analogue connection, and as such a usb or similar connection will be better suited for modern digital earphones.

Look at the size of the connector, and you'll realise it's probably 1/10th the size of the battery. By eliminating such a wasted piece of space, they can incorporate a battery that's at least 10% better, whilst maintaining, probably improving, the audio output of the device.

So at long long last it's gone. May it never return. Bit surprised it was Apple who made the change tbh. I thought it was going to be Samsung or LG, or even more possibly one of the smaller players like Huawei.

In other Apple news, the Apple stores are also a thing of the past. You won't be able to queue throughout the night in front of an Apple store to get your hands on the iPhone 7.

They're dropping the "store" part from the name, so the store previously known as "Apple store" will from now on be a store just called "Apple". Where you'll still have to queue 18 hours just to get your hands on the latest and greatest Apple device.

They must have spent a fortune on a marketing consultant who took 6 months of "intense marketing research" to come up with that brilliant idea.

Consultants - average people appearing clever to dumb people. And making a fortune in the process :lol:
You're probably right, but every other device in the world will use a common interface like the next USB socket. Meanwhile Apple will expect people to buy headphones which only work with their own products, which will become defunct each time they change form.

Or say "look, we've made a phone the size of your fingernail. If you want to make calls you'll need to plug in our Thunder Jack (tm) which is the size of a brick."
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

troglodiet wrote:I think the article covers the reason for its exclusion pretty well actually.

pedantic but headphones are analog, putting the dac in the headphone is not very efficient as it means you now need to powered the headphone.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

And of course it wasn't Apple. It was Motorola.
troglodiet

Post by troglodiet »

RodneyRegis wrote:
You're probably right, but every other device in the world will use a common interface like the next USB socket. Meanwhile Apple will expect people to buy headphones which only work with their own products, which will become defunct each time they change form.

Or say "look, we've made a phone the size of your fingernail. If you want to make calls you'll need to plug in our Thunder Jack (tm) which is the size of a brick."

Oh yes, there I agree with you 100%. I expect everyone (except Apple) to probably use amicro usb port.

Which reminds me. If memory serves, didn't some European committee decide some time ago that all manufactures must standardise their charging sockets? If so, did Apple comply?
troglodiet

Post by troglodiet »

Laurent wrote:

pedantic but headphones are analog, putting the dac in the headphone is not very efficient as it means you now need to powered the headphone.

Not exactly easy to develop digital earphones when they still use analogue connectors.

The race is now on to start building proper digital earphones.

First out of the starting blocks:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/z-er ... earphone#/
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

troglodiet wrote:
Laurent wrote:

Not exactly easy to develop digital earphones when they still use analogue connectors.

why do you want to have digital earphones? the speakers are analog, they need a dac somewhere. it's ridiculous to have it in each set of earphones
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

I get an uncontrollable urge to slap someone older than 16 when I see them with headphones on connected to a phone.
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

troglodiet wrote:
Laurent wrote:

Unless you get a DAC implanted in you hear this is bollox
DOB

Post by DOB »

What's going to be different between the new apple proprietary earphones that only work with their phones, and the ones that came with my Nokia 10 years ago? Will it have similar controls to the remote I had on my minidisc player 15 years ago? These are all factors I want to take into consideration when I next discuss how completely new and original everything created by Apple is.
DOB

Post by DOB »

sorCrer wrote:
I get an uncontrollable urge to slap someone older than 16 when I see them with headphones on connected to a phone.
What's the point of having a music-enabled phone if you're not going to listen to music on it?
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

DOB wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
What's the point of having a music-enabled phone if you're not going to listen to music on it?
What adult has time to listen to music in public?

:lol: :lol: They're punting Mario Bro's at the event.
Rocketz

Post by Rocketz »

Sandstorm wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:
Bluetooth is fine but it sucks battery time. If you bt enable your device you have to charge your headset and your device and then you last until about 2pm
Rocketz

Post by Rocketz »

sorCrer wrote:
DOB wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
What adult has time to listen to music in public?

:lol: :lol: They're punting Mario Bro's at the event.
Audible!!! I have never read "listened" to as many books as I do now.
troglodiet

Post by troglodiet »

I stopped just short of qualifying as an electronics engineer (4 subjects door) majoring in telecommunication, but that was 25 years ago and I never went into the industry after uni, so to say I lost touch with advancements is putting it mildly. The little bit of knowledge I still have on this subject is also therefore purely theoretical, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt.

But I think we're all stuck in the way things work right now, and is difficult to predict what the future will hold. So much have changed just over the last 5 years or so, that it becomes impossible to think that stuff might work totally differently in future.

Same with speakers. In my wild imagination you may have something that doesn't even emit sound. Instead, it could convey some sort of digital signal that is directed straight onto your eardrum. Who knows, "phasers" (like lasers but with sound waves instead of light) could be an option here. So your brain will be simulated to hear something, a digital signal, that isn't audible. This could for example eliminate heating loss which often results from hard noises, such as those being blasted into your ear through the traditional earphone/speaker type of devices.

This is all speculation of course, but think about it, just about every single thing and way of doing stuff has changed over the last decade.

Everything except speakers and prostate exams.
PCPhil

Post by PCPhil »

What's the betting that it will only get the best experience with 'special' Apple designed headphones. Just a thought.
troglodiet

Post by troglodiet »

Whatever happened to this? ....
MEPs and the Council of of the European Union have agreed that mobile phone manufacturers will be obliged to provide a common battery charger throughout Europe as part of a provisional deal on radio equipment.

The draft directive is aimed at harmonising radio products -- including phones, car door openers and modems -- in order to ensure they do not interfere with one another. MEPs are keen not only to simplify the use of radio equipment with a common charger, but to reduce unnecessary waste and cost for consumers. "With this agreement we will find more safety under the Christmas tree. I am especially pleased that we agreed on the introduction of a common charger -- although the Council and the Commission were hesitant at first. This will benefit the consumers", said rapporteur Barbara Weiler following the negotiations with the Council.

MEPs also agreed that there should be tougher market supervision to track and monitor products that fail to comply. The Commission is set to identify categories of radio equipment that will need to be registered before they are brought to market -- an idea based on a system in place in the US.

We've seen a fair amount of standardisation already with regards to phone charger over the past few years. The majority of devices now using Micro-USB cables, but there are still exceptions to the rule.

The obvious example is Apple, which, not satisfied with already insisting on offering its own charger last year introduced the lightning connector, meaning that there was no longer a standard charger that could be used with all Apple products.

It's unlikely the news will be received positively by Apple, which will have to find a way of complying with the ruling if it wants to continue selling its products in Europe. Wired.co.uk has contacted Apple for comment and will update this story if we hear back.

Member states will have two years to transpose the rules into national law once the rules have been finalised and electronics manufacturers will then have another year to comply with the new regulations.

According to the European Parliament, it will probably be able to conduct a full vote in March next year, meaning it's unlikely we'll see a completely universal charger until 2017.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/universal-phone-charger
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

DOB wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Good point. Any idea how I disable music on my Galaxy S5? Will I get more battery life?
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

I prefer my IPhone 6s to my Samsung 7 Edge for a number of reasons.

But yeah, will buy a decent phone with a jack as long as it's possible next time both are dead. Thinking 2-3 years.

Swapped to Iphones when they were the only company offering decent smaller sized phones and weirdly won a 7 Edge in a raffle at the gym.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

troglodiet wrote:Whatever happened to this? ....
MEPs and the Council of of the European Union have agreed that mobile phone manufacturers will be obliged to provide a common battery charger throughout Europe as part of a provisional deal on radio equipment.

The draft directive is aimed at harmonising radio products -- including phones, car door openers and modems -- in order to ensure they do not interfere with one another. MEPs are keen not only to simplify the use of radio equipment with a common charger, but to reduce unnecessary waste and cost for consumers. "With this agreement we will find more safety under the Christmas tree. I am especially pleased that we agreed on the introduction of a common charger -- although the Council and the Commission were hesitant at first. This will benefit the consumers", said rapporteur Barbara Weiler following the negotiations with the Council.

MEPs also agreed that there should be tougher market supervision to track and monitor products that fail to comply. The Commission is set to identify categories of radio equipment that will need to be registered before they are brought to market -- an idea based on a system in place in the US.

We've seen a fair amount of standardisation already with regards to phone charger over the past few years. The majority of devices now using Micro-USB cables, but there are still exceptions to the rule.

The obvious example is Apple, which, not satisfied with already insisting on offering its own charger last year introduced the lightning connector, meaning that there was no longer a standard charger that could be used with all Apple products.

It's unlikely the news will be received positively by Apple, which will have to find a way of complying with the ruling if it wants to continue selling its products in Europe. Wired.co.uk has contacted Apple for comment and will update this story if we hear back.

Member states will have two years to transpose the rules into national law once the rules have been finalised and electronics manufacturers will then have another year to comply with the new regulations.

According to the European Parliament, it will probably be able to conduct a full vote in March next year, meaning it's unlikely we'll see a completely universal charger until 2017.

It's a good question and Apple are off down their own route ignoring the intent of the EU to stop companies doing it. My guess is that it'll take a while to settle into practical legislation in terms of what will be the common charging method. And if it ends up being a Type C USB Apple will be able to transition into this given the EU is likely to grant some leeway.
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

Laurent wrote:Unless you get a DAC implanted in your ear this is bollox
Isn't one on Planet Rugby enough?

I grant you it often seems like he's implanted in your ear...
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

Mahoney wrote:
Laurent wrote:Unless you get a DAC implanted in your ear this is bollox
Isn't one on Planet Rugby enough?

I grant you it often seems like he's implanted in your ear...
:lol:

I don't need a welsh racist dimwit about to hear music digitally. unless i want to hear a drone (and for that I prefer a Scottish bagpipe to be fair)
troglodiet

Post by troglodiet »

Flockwitt wrote:
troglodiet wrote:Whatever happened to this? ....

It's a good question and Apple are off down their own route ignoring the intent of the EU to stop companies doing it. My guess is that it'll take a while to settle into practical legislation in terms of what will be the common charging method. And if it ends up being a Type C USB Apple will be able to transition into this given the EU is likely to grant some leeway.

I hear you.

But that article (and thus the EU's decision) is from 2013.
_fatprop

Post by _fatprop »

Can you open an apple on a computer yet and drop a GBs of music into a directory? or do they still require that abortion itunes?

Apple is all about propriety hardware and software so they can lock you in and sell you more shit

I use blue tooth headphones a lot, you need a least two pairs as their battery life makes them die far too soon
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

_fatprop wrote:Can you open an apple on a computer yet and drop a GBs of music into a directory? or do they still require that abortion itunes?

Apple is all about propriety hardware and software so they can lock you in and sell you more shit

I use blue tooth headphones a lot, you need a least two pairs as their battery life makes them die far too soon
There is a lot of iTunes replacement software. There hasn't been an issue for years.
I'm not buying multiple wireless solutions though. The idea is to reduce the amount of crap to remember to charge and to remember to sync.
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

I'm no techie, but I did have one of the early Motorola bricks in 1990 and one of the first pdas with the o2 xda. I was also one of the first with a Blackberry and ditto Windows 8 phone / laptop (error!).

Went back to iphone 6, though. The best smartphone I ever had, by miles. Won't rush to a 7, and I agree that Apple seek to lock you in. Don't hold with this Apple is crap stuff, though. That's patent bollix.
_fatprop

Post by _fatprop »

Tim. wrote:
_fatprop wrote:Can you open an apple on a computer yet and drop a GBs of music into a directory? or do they still require that abortion itunes?

There is a lot of iTunes replacement software. There hasn't been an issue for years.
I'm not buying multiple wireless solutions though. The idea is to reduce the amount of crap to remember to charge and to remember to sync.
Sort of my point "iTunes replacement software" instead of opening up the phone and dropping stuff into a directory.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

The most expensive one, sim free costs... over €1000 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prices ranged from €779 to €1139. I'll take two sure.
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

danthefan wrote:The most expensive one, sim free costs... over €1000 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prices ranged from €779 to €1139. I'll take two sure.
At this point, in the UK at least, Samsung and Iphones, pricewise are miles ahead of the competition. But they are basically the same.

There are 8 or 9 Apple Stores in this city. I'm pretty much bound to be in the vicinity of one in my day. There is a store under 10 mins of my place in another UK city. Basically all I want is a decent phone with as little down time as possible when things go wrong.
I dropped and f**ked my iPhone one day. Went to the store at 8:30 before work and was at my desk before 9:30 with a new one at no extra cost by 9:30 (think they just waived the repair fee - you don't ask questions when getting a good deal).
You can use ApplePay on the Tube. I go 2-4 days at a time without pulling a card out. My phone is invariably is within a metre of my ear (ironically because of the headphone jack). Samsung and Android Pay are both sketchy as fudge.

Then there's backup...

But this jack thing. No no no.