iPhone 7 - no headphone jack?

All things Rugby
DOB

Re: iPhone 7 - no headphone jack?

Post by DOB »

sorCrer wrote:
DOB wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:I'm happy. Even better sound into a set of Lightning-cabled headphones. :thumbup:
I get an uncontrollable urge to slap someone older than 16 when I see them with headphones on connected to a phone.
What's the point of having a music-enabled phone if you're not going to listen to music on it?
What adult has time to listen to music in public?

:lol: :lol: They're punting Mario Bro's at the event.
What adult has time to listen to music other than when on the go? Even when I'm at home, my primary music-playing method is through Bluetooth speakers, from my phone.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Tim. wrote:But this jack thing. No no no.
Been aware of this for some time and heard a fair bit of debate. Apple's putting their toe in the water with this one. The new phone's good, the camera's a selling point, but it will interesting to see how bad the backlash is against the 3.5mm removal. My guess is that they're not really expecting to see massive sales in this cycle in any event. Next year I'd be expecting something special with an all glass phone or otherwise.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

danthefan wrote:The most expensive one, sim free costs... over €1000 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prices ranged from €779 to €1139. I'll take two sure.

To be fair, the Note 7 and Edge aren't exactly cheap.

Samsung and Apple charge more for their phones because they can. They have brand awareness.

The prices are becoming ridiculous though. Every generation they seem to nudge it up slightly.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Flockwitt wrote:
Been aware of this for some time and heard a fair bit of debate. Apple's putting their toe in the water with this one. The new phone's good, the camera's a selling point, but it will interesting to see how bad the backlash is against the 3.5mm removal. My guess is that they're not really expecting to see massive sales in this cycle in any event. Next year I'd be expecting something special with an all glass phone or otherwise.
Next year will see them refine the design and produce the iPhone 7S as has been there trend for a while now.

I have an Android but I have no problem with Apple or other phone manufacturers deleting the headphone jack in favor of other options. Android phones are slowly moving away from micro USB charging and going to USB type C charging. I now Motorola already has a couple of phones with no headphone jack.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

DOB wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
DOB wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:I'm happy. Even better sound into a set of Lightning-cabled headphones. :thumbup:
I get an uncontrollable urge to slap someone older than 16 when I see them with headphones on connected to a phone.
What's the point of having a music-enabled phone if you're not going to listen to music on it?

What adult has time to listen to music other than when on the go? Even when I'm at home, my primary music-playing method is through Bluetooth speakers, from my phone.
One of the great joys of modern phones, for me... music and connected. Commuting bliss.
The Native

Post by The Native »

guy smiley wrote:
DOB wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
DOB wrote:
sorCrer wrote: I get an uncontrollable urge to slap someone older than 16 when I see them with headphones on connected to a phone.

One of the great joys of modern phones, for me... music and connected. Commuting bliss.
I totally agree. Three apps that make my day that much more pleasant and productive are Spotify, Pocket Casts and Listen Audiobook Player.
badmannotinjapan

Post by badmannotinjapan »

troglodiet wrote:I think the article covers the reason for its exclusion pretty well actually.

I've been wondering for a couple of years now why we still have to include 56-year old technology in a 2016 state-of-the-art mobile device (not that I consider iPhones to be state of the art though).

But at last they're getting rid of it, and Samsung and the other manufacturers will follow suit, which means it's the end for such a stupid thing to have in a device.

The 3.5mm Jack is effectively an analogue connection, and as such a usb or similar connection will be better suited for modern digital earphones.

Look at the size of the connector, and you'll realise it's probably 1/10th the size of the battery. By eliminating such a wasted piece of space, they can incorporate a battery that's at least 10% better, whilst maintaining, probably improving, the audio output of the device.

So at long long last it's gone. May it never return. Bit surprised it was Apple who made the change tbh. I thought it was going to be Samsung or LG, or even more possibly one of the smaller players like Huawei.

In other Apple news, the Apple stores are also a thing of the past. You won't be able to queue throughout the night in front of an Apple store to get your hands on the iPhone 7.

They're dropping the "store" part from the name, so the store previously known as "Apple store" will from now on be a store just called "Apple". Where you'll still have to queue 18 hours just to get your hands on the latest and greatest Apple device.

They must have spent a fortune on a marketing consultant who took 6 months of "intense marketing research" to come up with that brilliant idea.

Consultants - average people appearing clever to dumb people. And making a fortune in the process :lol:
It doesn't matter how big you make the battery, with all the updates, apps running and bluetooth you'll need to have the plucky phucker plugged in 24/7.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

The Native wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:
Next year will see them refine the design and produce the iPhone 7S as has been there trend for a while now.
Not so sure about this. Been plenty of discussion about it and the point is this 7 is really only a redefinition of the 6S. If Apple can nail the R&D they're doing behind the scenes and have something genuinely groundbreaking they'll break the trend.
badmannotinjapan

Post by badmannotinjapan »

True Blue wrote:
danthefan wrote:The most expensive one, sim free costs... over €1000 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Samsung and Apple charge more for their phones because they can. They have brand awareness.

The prices are becoming ridiculous though. Every generation they seem to nudge it up slightly.
$1800NZD! I mean, PHUCK! The thing is all these broke muthaphuckas are going to go buy it regardless.
_fatprop

Post by _fatprop »

Yeah, beyond pod, audible & google play make my travel more bearable
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

badmannotinjapan wrote:
True Blue wrote:

$1800NZD! I mean, PHUCK! The thing is all these broke muthaphuckas are going to go buy it regardless.
Think the upgrade cycles are going to slow down here and they'll need to make money from those willing to pay. I've an iPhone 6 and definitely don't see any need to get the 7.
_fatprop

Post by _fatprop »

Interesting to see that the new head phones are already being flagged as a potential choking hazard.

My concern would be more than likely losing one of the things and battery life
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

I have one ear canal a lot tighter than the other due to accident damage years back so ear plug style pods are always an issue for me. I expect to see a healthy aftermarket of units that hook over the head or ear show up...perhaps linked physically to limit the loss or choking risk.
_fatprop

Post by _fatprop »

guy smiley wrote:I have one ear canal a lot tighter than the other due to accident damage years back so ear plug style pods are always an issue for me. I expect to see a healthy aftermarket of units that hook over the head or ear show up...perhaps linked physically to limit the loss or choking risk.
or you move to something like these

and get 18 hours of battery life with a reasonable sound
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Just buy some over ear headphones, it's what I will probably do for when I am running.
The Native

Post by The Native »

ElementFreak wrote:Just buy some over ear headphones, it's what I will probably do for when I am running.
Plantronic Backbeat Fit are what I have and use in the gym - http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/backbeat-fit
DOB

Post by DOB »

Think the upgrade cycles are going to slow down here and they'll need to make money from those willing to pay. I've an iPhone 6 and definitely don't see any need to get the 7.
I went straight from a 4s to a 6s, and only upgraded because the battery died, not for any lack of functionality or desire to have a fingerprint scan on my home button. If Apple didn't build in obsolescence, I'm sure there'd be millions of 3s users still running around. I'd still be listening to my 1st gen iPod touch in the car all the time.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

The Native wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:Just buy some over ear headphones, it's what I will probably do for when I am running.
Plantronic Backbeat Fit are what I have and use in the gym - http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/backbeat-fit
They worth a shot? I have some BluAnt ones that were given free with my phone, but I sweat a hell of a lot and they fall out of my ear. I'm looking at buying some that go over the ear.
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

The Native wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

I have an Android but I have no problem with Apple or other phone manufacturers deleting the headphone jack in favor of other options. Android phones are slowly moving away from micro USB charging and going to USB type C charging. I now Motorola already has a couple of phones with no headphone jack.
Nah, next year is the 10 year anniversary, they are supposed to be doing a total redesign for it.

I don't have a big issue with the jack going, but 2 ports would be good. Then you can charge and listen if you have to.
The iPhone 6 was the tick, which means the iPhone 6S was the tock. The iPhone 7’s use of the similar industrial design of previous iPhones plus new colours bucks the trend, meaning the new iPhone could be considered as a second-such tock. Whether improved specifications and a few new features, some of which will come to 2015’s iPhone 6S through software updates, will be enough to continue to woo customers remains to be seen.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

DOB wrote:
I went straight from a 4s to a 6s, and only upgraded because the battery died, not for any lack of functionality or desire to have a fingerprint scan on my home button. If Apple didn't build in obsolescence, I'm sure there'd be millions of 3s users still running around. I'd still be listening to my 1st gen iPod touch in the car all the time.
Aye. I'm definitely happier with the iPhone 6 over the 4, but it's really only the size.
village

Post by village »

Apple ear buds don't fit in my ears - always drop out. So when I used to have an iphone I would always switch the headphones out for another makers. I'm not intending to switch back to Apple ever but this is another reason not to.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

village wrote:Apple ear buds don't fit in my ears - always drop out. So when I used to have an iphone I would always switch the headphones out for another makers. I'm not intending to switch back to Apple ever but this is another reason not to.
I always found them an awful fit too. I think these wireless ones will be good in time but they need a better design first.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

village wrote:Apple ear buds don't fit in my ears - always drop out. So when I used to have an iphone I would always switch the headphones out for another makers. I'm not intending to switch back to Apple ever but this is another reason not to.

You could probably sell them for $150 and buy a superior pair of over the ear head phones anyway?
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

I don't listen to music on my phone and really don't understand the phone obsession generally but wireless earphones seem a good technological advance. However, if you do listen to music on your phone, they have just taken away an option to do so at a time when wireless earphones still aren't yet mainstream. It doesn't seem like the best move.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Rugby2023 wrote:I don't listen to music on my phone and really don't understand the phone obsession generally but wireless earphones seem a good technological advance. However, if you do listen to music on your phone, they have just taken away an option to do so at a time when wireless earphones still aren't yet mainstream. It doesn't seem like the best move.
All modern cars have Bluetooth audio - it just clicks in automically when I start my car and I can control it from the steering wheel. It's brilliant. Music on the phone is essential for me.
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

The other issue is going to be battery life on the phone.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Flockwitt wrote:
You can still use wired headphones with this phone so they have not gone the full Apple on this one.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

DOB wrote:What's going to be different between the new apple proprietary earphones that only work with their phones, and the ones that came with my Nokia 10 years ago? Will it have similar controls to the remote I had on my minidisc player 15 years ago? These are all factors I want to take into consideration when I next discuss how completely new and original everything created by Apple is.

Well for a start, you won't be able to listen to them while charging your phone.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Enzedder wrote:i wonder if you can, you know, telephone someone on it?
I am genuinely surprised so many people just ignored this issue, the Iphones are an absolute joke at what they are actually for.
armchairfan

Post by armchairfan »

I'm no apple fanboy (iTunes is the biggest pile of sh*t on the planet and the music player on the iPhone is equally bad!, mediamonkey and the amazon player for me :) ). Anyway when I first heard about them losing the headphone jack I thought they really shot themselves in the foot, however I got to thinking :
- They will probably provide an adaptor (which they do in the box I read)
- Bluetooth is now pretty cheap. Yes the sound quality isn't great for cheaper headsets but lets be honest unless your listening to FLAC recording with a pair of £200+ headphones your not going to notice.

So on the whole I really don't think its that big a deal.

I'd rather they sort their bloody software and battery life out which is my biggest gripe about apple. great hardware, shocking software.
Rocketz

Post by Rocketz »

Flockwitt wrote:
badmannotinjapan wrote:
True Blue wrote:

THey are allready slowing down http://nordic.businessinsider.com/idc-l ... in-2016-9/
Not Frankie

Post by Not Frankie »

an Apple spokesman stated: ‘we intended to revolutionize the music experience by producing shiny smooth, easy to lose earphones, that, once lost, will cost an absolute fortune to replace, and as they will have a nonstandard jack fitting, our loyal zombies will have no choice but to pay a few hundred dollars to purchase new ones, and will be stuck with listening to our tinny anal, I mean audio Air buds. We really are in league with the Devil’.
I use Apple for desktops etc, but find the whole iPhone thing a load of old shite. Beats are a crappy product as well. Happy with mu Samsung S7 and Sony Earbuds thank you very much. I was interested in the iPad Pro for Illustration work until I saw the comedy price of them :blush:
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

Not Frankie wrote:
an Apple spokesman stated: ‘we intended to revolutionize the music experience by producing shiny smooth, easy to lose earphones, that, once lost, will cost an absolute fortune to replace, and as they will have a nonstandard jack fitting, our loyal zombies will have no choice but to pay a few hundred dollars to purchase new ones, and will be stuck with listening to our tinny anal, I mean audio Air buds. We really are in league with the Devil’.
I use Apple for desktops etc, but find the whole iPhone thing a load of old shite. Beats are a crappy product as well. Happy with mu Samsung S7 and Sony Earbuds thank you very much. I was interested in the iPad Pro for Illustration work until I saw the comedy price of them :blush:
there is an interesting lenovo coming up

https://www.dpreview.com/news/170002640 ... d-keyboard
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Duff Paddy wrote:
I always found them an awful fit too. I think these wireless ones will be good in time but they need a better design first.
They fit my ears, as long as I don't move much. Prefer my over ear sennheisers. Those wireless buds look bloody easy to lose.

I often listen to music via headphones with a power bank charging the phone on the run. So this change could be a ballache for me. Although they are predicting 20% better battery life from a 6S to a 7.
DAC2016

Post by DAC2016 »

OK, tell my about Iphones. Work give me a Samsung that can make and receive calls, receive my work emails and get online with.

How is the Iphone any better at doing that?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

DAC2016 wrote:OK, tell my about Iphones. Work give me a Samsung that can make and receive calls, receive my work emails and get online with.

Why don't we all drive Ladas? Not that a Samsung is even comparable to a Lada but why is it that we can appreciate that people choose different products for many different reasons except when it comes to phones?
DAC2016

Post by DAC2016 »

mr bungle wrote:
DAC2016 wrote:OK, tell my about Iphones. Work give me a Samsung that can make and receive calls, receive my work emails and get online with.

Why don't we all drive Ladas? Not that a Samsung is even comparable to a Lada but why is it that we can appreciate that people choose different products for many different reasons except when it comes to phones?
You can choose what you want, I was just asking a question. I drive a new Seat as a got a good deal on it and it's a nice family car, not really comparable to a phone.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

mr bungle wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
They fit my ears, as long as I don't move much. Prefer my over ear sennheisers. Those wireless buds look bloody easy to lose.

I often listen to music via headphones with a power bank charging the phone on the run. So this change could be a ballache for me. Although they are predicting 20% better battery life from a 6S to a 7.
Yep. The trouble with all the true stereo Bluetooth individual buds. Lose one and you're fecked.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

DAC2016 wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

You can choose what you want, I was just asking a question. I drive a new Seat as a got a good deal on it and it's a nice family car, not really comparable to a phone.
You can break down the specs on any product, particularly tech related, and pick your preferences. Very comparable to a car. What home stereo do you use? I mean they all play CDs and the radio and stuff. I imagine we all have the very same one.
DAC2016

Post by DAC2016 »

mr bungle wrote:
DAC2016 wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

You can break down the specs on any product, particularly tech related, and pick your preferences. Very comparable to a car. What home stereo do you use? I mean they all play CDs and the radio and stuff. I imagine we all have the very same one.
So why is an Iphone better again?