India vs The Black Caps

All things Rugby
Gazzamonster

India vs The Black Caps

Post by Gazzamonster »

So the 1st of 3 test matches kicks off on the 22nd at the home of 90 degree spin - Nagpur.

All cricket fans remember the horror show that was the last test played there by South Africa - pitch was almost unplayable after the first day. SA managed to scrape 79 in the first innings with Ashwin getting about a thousand wickets.

Groundsmen are claiming that won't happen this time around - but there are already clear cracks in the surface.....could make for a diabolical surface.

Teams

India (probable): 1 M Vijay, 2 KL Rahul, 3 Cheteshwar Pujara, 4 Virat Kohli (capt.), 5 Ajinkya Rahane, 6 Rohit Sharma, 7 R Ashwin, 8 Wriddhiman Saha (wk), 9 Ravindra Jadeja, 10 Bhuvneshwar Kumar, 11 Amit Mishra

New Zealand (probable): 1 Tom Latham, 2 Martin Guptill, 3 Kane Williamson (capt.), 4 Ross Taylor, 5 Henry Nicholls, 6 BJ Watling (wk), 7 Mitchell Santner, 8 Mark Craig, 9 Ish Sodhi, 10 Neil Wagner/ Doug Bracewell, 11 Trent Boult

Can't remember the last time NZ had 3 spinners in a team (at least 3 decent spinners).

Top order still a problem for NZ - Guptill needs to do something that shows he is capable at the red ball opening although he won't have express pace swing to deal with. Latham still a work in progress. Hopefully Williamson and Taylor can get back some good form. Not sure about Wagner or Bracewell......Bracewell is a better batter so perhaps he would be a better option?

Ishant Sharma is out due to illness - probably not a huge loss except some experience. Not sure how NZ are going to crack the batting line up though - Rahane and Kohli alone are worth 200+ runs an innings.

Toss will be the big one - bat first, score runs, watch the pitch crumble......
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: India vs The Black Caps

Post by Enzedder »

Home of 90 degree spin and 40+ degree temps at the moment. Have the toss, declare both innings closed and piss off to a cooler clime is my suggestion.
Klytaemnestra's child

Post by Klytaemnestra's child »

Selection for New Zealand will be interesting. They will miss the quality of Southee though India tends to be a grave yard for quick bowlers so maybe he won't mind sitting these tests out. Going in with three spinners almost seems a little negative, like playing seven batsmen, as it suggests that two of the three wouldn't be able to do the job, but, if it is a real turner of a wicket,who needs another seamer? And the form of the New Zealand spinners does not really fill you with confidence. As for the seam attack, I'd go with a left/right combination for variety and, given that he hopefully will not have to bowl too many overs, would pick Boult over Wagner. Wagnerian unlucky to miss out, but his honest toil may be needed on other less bowler friendly pitches so no harm in keeping him fresh. Bracewell gets the nod over Mat Henry based on experience though I like Henry as a bowler and can see him getting a chance later as well.
The toss is the key here. Win it, bat, get enough runs, win the test, simple.
akann

Post by akann »

Has Dhoni retired from Test cricket?
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Surely it's time to drop Martin "Shuffle Feet" Guptil.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

True Blue wrote:Surely it's time to drop Martin "Shuffle Feet" Guptil.
Past time. He didn't even cash in against Zimbabwe. I assume Raval is with the squad again.

With Williamson as a handy bowling option two frontline spinners should be enough although none of our three have set the world on fire.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Black Caps will get pumped.

I read that the Black Caps coaching staff had to request that the practice wickets were mowed because they turned up to see long green grass. I know if you play away you expect a little pitch doctoring in favor of the home team but that is ridiculous.

Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Lost the toss and India will bat.

Fuggit - game over
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Ronchi in for Nicholls and all three spinners played.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Santner smacked for six but nails Rahul with the last ball of the over
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Public holiday here
No meetings
No phone calls
Wife at work
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Surprised we used so much spin. If we are going to go down the spin dominant strategy hopefully K-Dub, rossco and guppy get a few overs in to mix it up.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Well done, Wagner. Silly silly Kohli
Gazzamonster

Post by Gazzamonster »

Big wicket that.

Couple more and it's game on!
Gazzamonster

Post by Gazzamonster »

Wagner goes off the field with what looks like exhaustion.

Did I hear right that it is 38 degrees and 90% humidity?
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Commentators query KW's decision to take Santner off and bring Sodhi on.

Sodhi get Vijay's wicket.

India now 185-4
Gazzamonster

Post by Gazzamonster »

Dancer - spinners bowling with really good discipline.

Still fearful what the NZ batters will have to face come their innings.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Classic commentator's curse by Fleming
KW has given up ways of getting the batsman out
Then Ish strikes
Gazzamonster

Post by Gazzamonster »

Great couple of overs from Craig.

Gets Rahane - India 210/5
eugenius

Post by eugenius »

Terrific performance so far.
handyman

Post by handyman »

Any team that plays against India gets my support. Go Black Caps!
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

handyman wrote:Any team that plays against India gets my support. Go Black Caps!
What is it about Indian cricket that annoys you?
handyman

Post by handyman »

Tehui wrote:
handyman wrote:Any team that plays against India gets my support. Go Black Caps!
1. Their reluctance to use DRS.
2. The way they prepare over the top pitches to suit their teams.
3. Their alliance with England and Australia to control cricket.
4. The petulant behaviour of their players.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Tehui wrote:
Their fans are atrocious. Think of the trolling irish, arrogant english, precious kiwis, victim complex saffas, and deluded welsh....all rolled into one package and then throw in death threats and racism. That's the average indian fan on internet forums.
Last edited by True Blue on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Tehui wrote:
Fore me it is;
1. Their supporters
2. The BCCI
3. The IPL

Dangerous partnership building now. Could really do with keeping India to <300. India aren't a great bowling side though. Aside from Ashwin, it's a pretty poor unit.
handyman

Post by handyman »

True Blue wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Their fans are atrocious. Think of the trolling irish, arrogant english, precious kiwis, victim complex saffas, and deluded welsh....all rolled into one package and then throw in death threats and racism. That's the average indian fan of internet forums.
That as well.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

True Blue wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Their fans are atrocious. Think of the trolling irish, arrogant english, precious kiwis, victim complex saffas, and deluded welsh....all rolled into one package and then throw in death threats and racism. That's the average indian fan on internet forums.
Yep. I moderate on a cricket forum. The Indian fans are, by far, the worst - they are incredibly one eyed and most of them have very little appreciation/understanding of the game. I do enjoy deleting all their posts about Kohli.
Gazzamonster

Post by Gazzamonster »

True Blue wrote:
Tehui wrote:
It's the reason I post cricket threads on here.....I tried it once on a cricket site and was horrified by the level of aggression. Indian cricket fans are the pits - and they clog up every single cricket forum.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Tehui wrote:
Friendly warning: Do not engage Handyman on anything cricket related. It will hurt your head.
Gazzamonster

Post by Gazzamonster »

This partnership is damaging NZ's good work from the second session.

Judging by the way the pitch is behaving - India already have enough.

I hate the way the pitches are so dominant over there....win toss - bat first - win.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Gazzamonster wrote:
True Blue wrote:
Tehui wrote:
It's the reason I post cricket threads on here.....I tried it once on a cricket site and was horrified by the level of aggression. Indian cricket fans are the pits - and they clog up every single cricket forum.
Back in the usenet days (newsgroups) indian fans would often threaten your life, threaten to rape your mother, and generally say racist stuff like it was going out of fashion. It really was quite astonishing. Usenet was (is?) unmoderated by nature so to be fair it probably did attract the scum of the scum.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

handyman wrote:
Tehui wrote:
1. Their reluctance to use DRS.
2. The way they prepare over the top pitches to suit their teams.
3. Their alliance with England and Australia to control cricket.
4. The petulant behaviour of their players.
Preparing pitches to favour their team and now practice wickets to hamper the opposition. It's come to something for their cricket when they feel the need to stack the deck against the Black Caps.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Gazzamonster wrote:
True Blue wrote:
Tehui wrote:
The cricket threads on here are far better than on any cricket forum. The 2005 Ashes threads were fantastic.
Gazzamonster

Post by Gazzamonster »

True Blue wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
True Blue wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Back in the usenet days (newsgroups) indian fans would often threaten your life, threaten to rape your mother, and generally say racist stuff like it was going out of fashion. It really was quite astonishing. Usenet was (is?) unmoderated by nature so to be fair it probably did attract the scum of the scum.
That's pretty standard of Indian 'online' fans. I don't bother with cricket forums now, pretty much gave up after a lovely chap told me to come over to India so he could kill my family.
Gazzamonster

Post by Gazzamonster »

BOOF!!

Santner gets Sharma!

261/6

C'mon fellas - 1 or 2 more before the close!
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Gazzamonster wrote:BOOF!!

Santner gets Sharma!

261/6
Needed that. Still a lot of work to do but good so far.
Gazzamonster

Post by Gazzamonster »

Shhhha-TING!

Boult chimes in and gets the new batsmen Saha for a 2 ball duck.

262/7
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Boult strikes

262-7
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Need to get Ashwin now and it'll be game on. He's been in good batting form recently.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

handyman wrote:
True Blue wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Their fans are atrocious. Think of the trolling irish, arrogant english, precious kiwis, victim complex saffas, and deluded welsh....all rolled into one package and then throw in death threats and racism. That's the average indian fan of internet forums.
That as well.
And the stupid bugs always flying around in front of the tv cameras.

Forgot this was on and just tuned in, not too bad. I'd be happy with 300 ish