NBA season 2020/21 - Dec 22 start date

All things Rugby
goeagles

Re: NBA season 2017/18 - general discussion

Post by goeagles »

Tehui wrote:I just saw the OKC v Bucks highlights. The OKC offensive is starting to look sharp. Adams looks to be physically stronger this season. One thing the highlights don't show well is the defense, but by all accounts OKC's defense was sharp.
Adams looks very strong. He had a couple monster offensive boards and dunks.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Cavs about to drop another game......
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

The Cavs...kinda suck :thumbdown:

Just lost by 17 to the Pacers. Watching the game, there’s really just no point to anything they do. The definition of coasting on talent.

Meanwhile, I’m loving the PG trade more by the second. Oladipo averaging 24 PPG and Sabonis averaging a double-double in only 25 minutes on the court a night. Wondering what they’ll do with the latter when Myles Turner comes back from his concussion.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Suns beat the Wizards.
vintage_cox

Post by vintage_cox »

Slim Boogie has taken his game to another level this year, especially his effort on defence. Look at this hustle from the big man

Had a 7 block game the other day. Tonight he's 3 blk, 4 steals (in addition to his MVP offence)

....team is still trash tho. He's gone
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Simmons coming good.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

CrazyIslander wrote:Simmons coming good.
At this rate he's a lock for ROTY and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an All Star spot.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
At this rate he's a lock for ROTY and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an All Star spot.
Him and Embid in the same team could make them the next super team.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

CrazyIslander wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:

It's 2017, you need at least 3 All Stars players to be a super team
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:

Markell Fultz says hi.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

CrazyIslander wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:

Markell Fultz says hi.
Fultz won't say hi this year. Maybe in a few years time though. ;)
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

fonzeee wrote:The Cavs...kinda suck :thumbdown:

Just lost by 17 to the Pacers. Watching the game, there’s really just no point to anything they do. The definition of coasting on talent.

Meanwhile, I’m loving the PG trade more by the second. Oladipo averaging 24 PPG and Sabonis averaging a double-double in only 25 minutes on the court a night. Wondering what they’ll do with the latter when Myles Turner comes back from his concussion.
I looked at the box score and was blown away to see the high percentage of three pointers the Pacers landed. When one of those Pacers players that is hot from behind the arc is Victor 'missed every 3 pointer at OKC' Oladipo, you just know the Cavs' defense is bad.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
I wouldn't say Simmons is a 'lock' for ROTY, but he's developed a good lead. Lonzo is in second place IMO.
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

My oh my Lauri Markkanen

It goes

Simmons
Lauri
Tatum

With a stack close behind. Crazy draft and crazy start to the season.
vintage_cox

Post by vintage_cox »

Forget the rookies

Giannis knocked from top spot
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Cousins' stats for this season thus far - 30 points, 13 rebounds, 6 assists (FG% .490)
Antetokounmpo stats thus far - 31 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists (FG% .600)

Very impressive from both players, with the caveat of it being a small sample size.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Tehui wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
I wouldn't say Simmons is a 'lock' for ROTY, but he's developed a good lead. Lonzo is in second place IMO.
That's why I said 'at this rate'. Barring injury or him going backwards, he's gonna win it.
Smee

Post by Smee »

vintage_cox wrote:Forget the rookies

Giannis knocked from top spot
I think Cousins is destined to be one of those high usage, great numbers guys whose stats never translate to success, the Allen Iverson of big men if you will.

In the modern NBA I just dont see how a team wins with him as the focal point of their offense. The game has moved on and dominant big men are a thing of the past.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Smee wrote:
I think Cousins is destined to be one of those high usage, great numbers guys whose stats never translate to success, the Allen Iverson of big men if you will. .
Karl Anthony Towns, come on down!
Smee

Post by Smee »

Great comeback by Celtics, Horford with some key buckets in the clutch..... Kyrie must be worth a punt for MVP at this early stage of season...... Definitely got the narrative angle covered...... Stepping out of Brons shadow, in aftermath of Haywoods injury.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Smee wrote:Great comeback by Celtics, Horford with some key buckets in the clutch..... Kyrie must be worth a punt for MVP at this early stage of season...... Definitely got the narrative angle covered...... Stepping out of Brons shadow, in aftermath of Haywoods injury.
I saw the second half. The Celtics played really well.

Speaking of Lebron....57 points against the Wizards.
Stu Wilsons gloves

Post by Stu Wilsons gloves »

Smee wrote:Great comeback by Celtics, Horford with some key buckets in the clutch..... Kyrie must be worth a punt for MVP at this early stage of season...... Definitely got the narrative angle covered...... Stepping out of Brons shadow, in aftermath of Haywoods injury.
That was a poor loss for OKC, the shooting went missing in the 3rd. Hopefully part of the learning process.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Philadelphia racking up the wins.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Turns out if Lebron doesn't get 50 the Cavs still suck.
Smee

Post by Smee »

Picked this up from the bookstore today:

About Muggsy Bogues high school team that produced 4 NBA players. Great read thus far. :thumbup:
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

I love Muggsy.

He's responsible for one of the funnier looking highlights I've ever seen - Charlotte were playing Detroit & he got a steal about level with his own foul line. Bill Laimbeer was up beyond the 3 point line and realised he was the only guy between Muggsy and the basket and turns around and starts running as fast as he could towards his own basket - Muggsy passed him (while going wide enough to prevent an intentional foul) before he'd even hit halfway and got the easy lay in. It was like a Cheetah racing a Giraffe.
Stu Wilsons gloves

Adams being abused by Nurkic, Thunder struggling again.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Stu Wilsons gloves wrote:Adams being abused by Nurkic, Thunder struggling again.
Second unit getting them back in it though.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Oh man, Russ misses 3 FT that could have cut it to 1 with 19s remaining - killing me here.
Stu Wilsons gloves

Jay Cee Gee wrote:Oh man, Russ misses 3 FT that could have cut it to 1 with 19s remaining - killing me here.
Adams and Russ were dreadful.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Stu Wilsons gloves wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:Oh man, Russ misses 3 FT that could have cut it to 1 with 19s remaining - killing me here.
Adams and Russ were dreadful.
Yep.
Marshall Banana

Post by Marshall Banana »

Nurkic always works over Steve - but it was Steve guarding Nurk + Dame too much.

Russ just coasting in no man's land. He's been poor overall this season.

Why did we close with Felton when we know he's never going to see the ball? :?

This offense sucks. Adams runs PnR with Russ. Pin downs for George. Iso for Melo. That's it. There is so little movement off the ball.

Not that I expected anything else... but it's awful to watch.

EDIT: Oh, and that Melo ejection was a farce!
Smee

Post by Smee »

Celtics reel off win number 9.......... I continue to be impressed by Jayson Tatum.

Looking at Tatum's numbers, they are practically identical to Crowders from last year -
14 points, 6 boards and a 2 assists in 32 minutes but on better efficiency, 50% from the field and from 3. Only graduated high school last year, this kid is a savage, he is gonna be a multiple time all star. Meanwhile over in Cleveland Crowder's numbers have regressed back to his career averages - 8 points, 4 boards, 1 assist.

It was very smart by Ainge to move Crowder if for no other reason that keeping him would have created a log jam at SF and he would have just got in Tatum's way.
Jay Cee Gee wrote:I love Muggsy.

He's responsible for one of the funnier looking highlights I've ever seen - Charlotte were playing Detroit & he got a steal about level with his own foul line. Bill Laimbeer was up beyond the 3 point line and realised he was the only guy between Muggsy and the basket and turns around and starts running as fast as he could towards his own basket - Muggsy passed him (while going wide enough to prevent an intentional foul) before he'd even hit halfway and got the easy lay in. It was like a Cheetah racing a Giraffe.
:lol: :thumbup:
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

lue has no command of things whatsoever, i wonder who'll step in for him

bledsoe to milwaukee, hopefully gives them some juice; they're a tough watch at times
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Brad Stevens appears to be a God-tier coach along with Popovich. Like basically any player that he gets his hands on improves drastically. Tatum looking good for sure.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

TheBouncer wrote:lue has no command of things whatsoever, i wonder who'll step in for him

bledsoe to milwaukee, hopefully gives them some juice; they're a tough watch at times
This is just karma for chasing the far more capable David Blatt out of town. One of the more embarrassing episodes of the last few years. In any case, I’m fairly confident we won’t see them in the Finals this year, even though they’ll surely get back on track at some point.

Nice move by the Bucks though, they’ve yet to hit the heights everyone was projecting for them, Greek Freak aside.

Speaking of young freaks, anyone catch Porzingis single handedly beating the Pacers a few nights back, dropping 40 in the process? What an absolute machine. Averaging 30 ppg.

MVP race going to be interesting.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

goeagles wrote:Brad Stevens appears to be a God-tier coach along with Popovich. Like basically any player that he gets his hands on improves drastically. Tatum looking good for sure.
I was always a big fan when he was at Butler.

In other college bb news, if true (it's China so who knows), this is about as dumb as it gets. Especially when your family has their own damn sneaker line!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... hoplifting
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Bowens wrote:
goeagles wrote:Brad Stevens appears to be a God-tier coach along with Popovich. Like basically any player that he gets his hands on improves drastically. Tatum looking good for sure.
I was always a big fan when he was at Butler.

In other college bb news, if true (it's China so who knows), this is about as dumb as it gets. Especially when your family has their own damn sneaker line!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... hoplifting
Example #68503 that being good at basketball doesn't necessarily mean you're intelligent.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

fonzeee wrote: Speaking of young freaks, anyone catch Porzingis single handedly beating the Pacers a few nights back, dropping 40 in the process? What an absolute machine. Averaging 30 ppg.

MVP race going to be interesting.
I'm seeing the next wave of talent come through. Porzingis, Greek Freak and Ben Simmons.
vintage_cox

Post by vintage_cox »

Over .500 for the first time in 2.5 years!!!

(also just the 4th team in 22 years to come back and win after giving up 75 points in the first half. It was a good day)