Re: NBA season 2017/18 - general discussion

Post by vintage_cox »

That is a pretty garbage Spurs team to almost choke at home to
Marshall Banana

Post by Marshall Banana »

This offense is broken.

23rd in the league now...

Pop gets the W in this one. Thanks Pop - but your G League team almost beat us, so maybe go with your under 12s next time?
Marshall Banana

Jay Cee Gee wrote:And Deandre Jordan goes 8 for 8 vs Minnesota - currently watching some hilarious clips of KAT's 'defence'.
KAT is by far the worst defensive centre in the league. Kanter included...

He gets stuck in no man's land so often.
Marshall Banana

Thunder have the Jazz tomorrow, so I've been watching them annihilate the Wizards (they're up 41)...

6 wins on the trot now. Gobert back. They look great - hitting 3s and playing suffocating D. Snyder is a top, top coach.

Meanwhile:

:shock:

He left the arena on crutches...

EDIT: X-rays on Steph Curry's right ankle were negative. Just a sprain. It's pretty swollen though.

https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/stat ... 2743183360
vintage_cox

Post by vintage_cox »

^ had a 20 pt halftime lead in that game
Marshall Banana

Yeah - but the Warriors only really start trying in the 3rd...

You knew they'd come back!

More on Steph:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/statu ... 3285070848

Sources: Warriors star Stephen Curry will undergo an MRI on his injured right ankle on Tuesday. X-rays were negative tonight, but ankle remains very swollen.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

I wonder if that's the same ankle Curry has a long injury history with?
Marshall Banana

Tehui wrote:I wonder if that's the same ankle Curry has a long injury history with?
It is.

Steph Curry had surgery on his right ankle in May 2011 and again in April 2012. Since that: - 2012-13 = 78 games - 2013-14 = 78 games - 2014-15 = 80 games - 2015-16 = 79 games - 2016-17 = 79 games (he's been very, very durable)

https://twitter.com/DrewShiller/status/ ... 9531825158

Ergo he's overdue an injury...
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Turnovers are killing the Thunder. Not surprising as they've not been great at that this season and Utah are good at forcing turnovers (not as good as OKC though).
Dubya Howard

Post by Dubya Howard »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:Turnovers are killing the Thunder. Not surprising as they've not been great at that this season and Utah are good at forcing turnovers (not as good as OKC though).
Melo 2 from 13. He's been rubbish all year. Russ and George 13 turnovers between them... :uhoh:
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

They've mostly eliminated the turnovers and gotten some better contributions from PG & Melo in the 2nd half - look to be about to close it out thanks to Adams' clutch tip in.

Another big night for him, 20/9 on 9 of 10 from the floor. Dominated Gobert.
Marshall Banana

I'll take it!

They were obviously jiggered from last night and couldn't hack it down the stretch - but I'll take it!

Gobert shouldn't have played. Steve ate!

Mitchell, though? :uhoh: Amazing talent and all the confidence in the world. Top 2-3 rookie on the year.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Good to see OKC pull one back in. Hopefully a turning point.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Good to see OKC come back and win a close one. They still haven't figured out the best way to use their offence yet. I'd like to see them throw the ball more to Adams when he's in the paint. The floater of his is working a treat.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Okafor traded to the Nets. Trevor Booker moves to the 76ers.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Presumably that means Booker won't play vs OKC?
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:Presumably that means Booker won't play vs OKC?
I'm not sure when the timeframes are, but usually when a trade is "in process" the clubs stand the traded players down.
Marshall Banana

Yeah - no way he plays.

Helps OKC - but with PG + Grant out, the Thunder can still easily lose this. Grant's not very good - but he's also been the best bench player for us this season!

Also, the Nets play at pace (top 3 in the league), and have no one on their roster that averages over 30 minutes per game. Chuck in the altitude, and the Thunder could be run ragged...

EDIT: Oh, and there's the fact the Thunder suck on the road. 2-9, worst record in the West.
Marshall Banana

2-10 on the road.

I am not in the least bit surprised. :lol:

Melo was awful both sides of the floor. He was the worst of a bad bunch...
Smee

Post by Smee »

Manu being Manu. This guy making ridiculous plays every game at 40.

On another note, Chauncey Billups must be the most pointless "analyst" of all time, nothing remotely interesting or insightful to say ever.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

What the hell is up with Victor Oladipo? I watched a lot of his games for OKC last year, and he struggled to hit shots from the perimeter consistently. He was disappointing. And then I watch him today light up the Cavs. It's like I'm watching a different player. I assumed his performance was a one-off, but when I looked at his season stats I see he's averaging 23 points including 43% from 3 point range and 48% from the field. He may even earn an all star berth.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Tehui wrote:What the hell is up with Victor Oladipo? I watched a lot of his games for OKC last year, and he struggled to hit shots from the perimeter consistently. He was disappointing. And then I watch him today light up the Cavs. It's like I'm watching a different player. I assumed his performance was a one-off, but when I looked at his season stats I see he's averaging 23 points including 43% from 3 point range and 48% from the field. He may even earn an all star berth.
I hate to admit it, because I think Russell Westbrook is the shit, but watching Oladipo and Sabonis (and Kanter to an extent) flourish in their new settings has me wondering about his effect on his teammates’ play.

Oladipo is awesome though. I’m not a Derozan fan so to me it’s down to him and Beal for best SG in the East.
Smee

Post by Smee »

Manu with the game winner!
Marshall Banana

Manu is amazing! Great game from both teams.

How about Z-Bo dropping 35 and talking smack to Boogie? That might be the craziest thing I've seen all year! :lol:

As for Dipo? He's been killing it. Lost a lot of weight in the off-season (look that shit up!), and now has the ball in his hands a lot more. He didn't drive nearly enough at the Thunder (not entirely his fault as he played off the ball a lot next to Russ of course), but now he's getting to the line a ton. Also nailing all these crazy step-back, and pullup, 3s! I'm not sure how long he can keep it up - but he's a Top 20 player on the year so far.

Sabonis was poorly used at OKC - asked to replace Ibaka as a stretch 4, when at college he never shot the 3... A massive, massive ask. Unfair on the kid. He's now playing at centre (backing up Turner) and doing what he does best. I'm not shocked by his progress. The kid can ball.

Kanter is still Kanter. An offensive beast - but one that's incapable of staying on the floor against the Warriors/Rockets. That's why he was traded. As a regular season player he was enormous for the Thunder - he helped put the bad teams away - something the Thunder are clearly struggling with now. We win more regular season games with him over Melo - no doubt in my mind.

And yes, Russ is difficult to play with. I love the dude - but he is what he is.
Marshall Banana

Dipo at Magic:

At Thunder:

At Pacers:

The dude is svelte!
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Basketball breakdown's analysis of OKC's offensive woes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymP_nu8o-to
Marshall Banana

Coach Nick is a bit of a tool, but I agree with him here.

Melo has sucked and Russ never moves off the ball. Russ hasn't set a screen for Melo all season! Not even by accident! :lol:

Starting Patterson over Melo would help - but I gave-up on that before the season started...
vintage_cox wrote:
Marshall Banana wrote:I'd actually prefer 2Pat to start, with Melo as 6th man, but that ain't happening!
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status ... 2192149505
:|
Stu Wilsons gloves

Post by Stu Wilsons gloves »

OKC look dreadful (down 20 to the Grizz in the 1st qtr), Billy Donovan lucks clueless on the sideline, he will be sacked soon.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Westbrick 1 from 12 from 3 point range. He reminds me of Kobe during his last NBA season. The more he misses, the more he's determined to keep shooting.
Marshall Banana

Dipo just dropped a career high 47! :lol:

Scratch that top 20 player on the year I mentioned earlier, and change it to Top 10...

Dipo never looked like this at the Magic. Nor at the Thunder.

"salary dump" = All Star.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

:smug:
Marshall Banana

And today's game shows why Roberson is worth his weight in gold.

Completely eviscerated at home by the Hornets. 17/24 from 3! :lol:

Hornets were 1-10 on the road before this one... :lol:

They were missing their starting SG, and backup C. :lol:

The Thunder are bad - really, really bad. This team is done.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

This is interesting if true - nabbed from Twitter:
Of the 33 players who are taking at least 15 shots per game, Russell Westbrook ranks 33rd in FG%. Carmelo Anthony ranks 32nd. Paul George ranks 30th. That seems bad.
Yikes.
Marshall Banana

PG been OK - excellent on defence.

Russ + Melo have been horrific - both sides of the ball.

Most casual (dumb) Thunder fans were happy to see Abrines get a run with the starters... and he was killed. He fouled 3-point shooters three times! And they all nailed the 3 anyway! :lol: He's a very, very bad defender. Completely exposed. EDIT: The first three-point shot = 3 FT makes. So not too bad then... :uhoh:

Roberson covers a lot of ground, and covers for bum defence by Melo + Russ.

Melo has looked washed, if I'm being totally honest. Kanter may not have given the Thunder anything in the playoffs - but Melo's not giving anything now.

This team won't hit last year's win total (47). No chance. Hell, they might not even make the playoffs! :lol:
Last edited by Marshall Banana on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

If somebody had told me at the start of the season that OKC were going to be disastrous on offense and be very good on defense, I would have said you have it the wrong way around.

I'm convinced that if Greg Popovich or Brad Stevens were running the team, the team would be clicking on all cylinders.
vintage_cox

Post by vintage_cox »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rMJLQOeSC8&t=1s

This was a pretty fun game. I only tuned in in the 3rd quarter but there was just enough time to get my hopes up again...

But a good effort considering we had just 7!! healthy players (plus one guy called up from the G-League)
vintage_cox

Post by vintage_cox »

Tehui wrote:If somebody had told me at the start of the season that OKC were going to be disastrous on offense and be very good on defense, I would have said you have it the wrong way around.
That was everyone's exact expectation of the Pelicans - good defence, but bad fit offensively with no shooting.....

Right now we're 3rd in PPG (behind the Warriors and Rockets), 2nd in APG (behind Warriors), 2nd in FG% (behind the Warriors)

We're also 6th in 3P%!!! with 2 guys shooting over 45% and 4 more shooting 35%+

Pity the defence has gone downhill and AD is made of some fragile, brittle substance...

It could all blow up yet, but it would make for a great playoff series if we get the Rockets. High scoring with no one playing defence, like today
Marshall Banana

Tehui wrote:If somebody had told me at the start of the season that OKC were going to be disastrous on offense and be very good on defense, I would have said you have it the wrong way around.

I'm convinced that if Greg Popovich or Brad Stevens were running the team, the team would be clicking on all cylinders.
The defence was forecast to be better - PG + Robes in front of Adams is formidable.

The offense wasn't meant to be this bad, tho! :lol:

Look at this shit (league rank in brackets):

FG%: 43.6 (29th) 3-pt FG%: 33.9 (28th) FT%: 72.3 (29th) Off. RTG: 102.1 (25th) EFG%: 49.4 (28th) TS%: 52.8 (28th)

Here's a gif summation of it:

I don't think the players (Melo + Russ) would listen to Stevens. These guys are too dumb/too set in their ways to realise that opposing defences are happy to give them these mid-range shots. I think Pop is the only coach that would command any respect.
Marshall Banana

vintage_cox wrote:
That was everyone's exact expectation of the Pelicans - good defence, but bad fit offensively with no shooting.....

Right now we're 3rd in PPG (behind the Warriors and Rockets), 2nd in APG (behind Warriors), 2nd in FG% (behind the Warriors)

We're also 6th in 3P%!!! with 2 guys shooting over 45% and 4 more shooting 35%+

Pity the defence has gone downhill and AD is made of some fragile, brittle substance...

It could all blow up yet, but it would make for a great playoff series if we get the Rockets. High scoring with no one playing defence, like today
If AD had Bron's superhuman durability then you'd be set.

Your defence is good (would sneak into the top 10), with AD on the floor. But when's off the floor, you're the worst defence in the league by a good margin...
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

I know the run has to end soon (11-4 in last 15, only losing to Celtics, Raptors, and Rockets x2; they were lucky to come back against the Nuggets a few days ago though tbf), but I actually feel pretty optimistic about the Pacers’ chances against the Thunder tomorrow.

Just waiting for OKC to hit their stride...they have to, right?!?