NBA season 2020/21 - Dec 22 start date

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

Re: NBA season 2019/20 - Purgatory

Post by eldanielfire »

CrazyIslander wrote:But have any of those guys ever come against a team like the Warriors? With Durant?
I find Durrant interesting, the Warriors peak performances came without Durrant. The issue is Durrant doesn't or can't play anything much else than the usual isoball we see dominating NBA super teams today. Without Durrant the Warriors play godlike passing and movement as shown when he got injured and prior to his arrival.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Bowens wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:But have any of those guys ever come against a team like the Warriors? With Durant?
Well the Bulls beat Magic’s Lakers for their first title so...
Magic and who?
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

eldanielfire wrote:
I find Durrant interesting, the Warriors peak performances came without Durrant. The issue is Durrant doesn't or can't play anything much else than the usual isoball we see dominating NBA super teams today. Without Durrant the Warriors play godlike passing and movement as shown when he got injured and prior to his arrival.
Disagree, The last two titles they won were walkovers and Durant was finals MVP both times.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

CrazyIslander wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Magic and who?
The 91 Lakers were pretty much the Showtime roster with a young Vlade in place of an old Kareem. Vlade actually had a better finals in 91 than Kareem did in 88 or 89. The Bulls at that time were still basically Jordan and Pippen with some help from Horace Grant. Still no Kukoc, Rodman, Harper etc. In the conference finals they also beat a very good Pistons team coming off of back to back titles. Then at the other end of their run they beat some Jazz teams that would have won multiple titles without Jordan in the picture.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

CrazyIslander wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Magic and who?

Worthy was still a force in 91. He was an All Star that year (and again in 92).
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Magic and who?

Worthy was still a force in 91. He was an All Star that year (and again in 92).
Nowhere near Curry/Durant/Thompson/Green.though
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Perhaps not with Durant, but that's only two years of LeBron's career and it's not like it's anything close to a sure thing the Cavs beat them w/o KD (my gut tells me they don't - it took a fair few things going the Cavs way for them to win in 16). And the Warriors without KD are a really good side but not really that far in front of anything the other teams faced. I mean, Magic and Bird had to beat each other to win their titles.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Perhaps not with Durant, but that's only two years of LeBron's career and it's not like it's anything close to a sure thing the Cavs beat them w/o KD (my gut tells me they don't - it took a fair few things going the Cavs way for them to win in 16). And the Warriors without KD are a really good side but not really that far in front of anything the other teams faced. I mean, Magic and Bird had to beat each other to win their titles.
LeBron without Kyrie was brilliant vs Warriors. With Kyrie, he won. Then Durant made it impossible. I'd say there were even without Durant. I'd back LeBron against any star player even Jordan

Needless to say Warriors with Durant would beat any team in history.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

CrazyIslander wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
LeBron without Kyrie was brilliant vs Warriors. With Kyrie, he won. Then Durant made it impossible. I'd say there were even without Durant.
With Kyrie he won but it also took Green missing a game, Curry having an injured hand and Bogut getting injured. There's a reason the Warriors were 3-1 up. It's an all time great comeback, but the Warriors win that series 7 times out of 10, I reckon.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

The other thing about the Warriors superteam argument as it pertains to LeBron is that without going to Miami and hooking up with a couple of future HOF players (and then getting another a couple of years later) he maybe only has 1 title and the discussion is whether he's even top 10.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

I’m obviously a big Cavs fan and that series was an all time great memory. But I don’t see anything in the Warriors run that suggests that they were a better team than the 90s particularly late 90s Bulls. They don’t have anyone who could guard Jordan. Pippen would have given KD a tough time otoh.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:The other thing about the Warriors superteam argument as it pertains to LeBron is that without going to Miami and hooking up with a couple of future HOF players (and then getting another a couple of years later) he maybe only has 1 title and the discussion is whether he's even top 10.
The Cavs would have figured it out and won a couple id say but who knows really.

2011 would have been a really interesting year if he has stayed with the Cavs.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

Bowens wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Magic and who?
The 91 Lakers were pretty much the Showtime roster with a young Vlade in place of an old Kareem. Vlade actually had a better finals in 91 than Kareem did in 88 or 89. The Bulls at that time were still basically Jordan and Pippen with some help from Horace Grant. Still no Kukoc, Rodman, Harper etc. In the conference finals they also beat a very good Pistons team coming off of back to back titles. Then at the other end of their run they beat some Jazz teams that would have won multiple titles without Jordan in the picture.
Magic, Byron Scott, James worthy, Sam Perkins - all All Stars.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:The other thing about the Warriors superteam argument as it pertains to LeBron is that without going to Miami and hooking up with a couple of future HOF players (and then getting another a couple of years later) he maybe only has 1 title and the discussion is whether he's even top 10.
The Cavs would have figured it out and won a couple id say but who knows really.

2011 would have been a really interesting year if he has stayed with the Cavs.
Would the Cavs though? LeBron's Heatles couldn't beat Dallas, can't see them beating the Thunder or the Spurs twice.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Shrekles wrote:
Bowens wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Magic and who?
Magic, Byron Scott, James worthy, Sam Perkins - all All Stars.
Some people seem a little to prisoner of the moment and forgetting the 90's was stacked with really good teams, who would be remembered more if they weren't all crushed by Jordan.
Marshall Banana

Post by Marshall Banana »

I'm with CI on this one.

KD is a top 15 player of all time. The greatest scorer of his generation. He really bought into the system in that first year at Golden State. They had the number 1 offense in the league, and the number 2 defence. I'd back them against any team any time, and I'm over 40 and still have over 100 MJ Bball cards...

The closest MJ got to facing a team of that caliber was in '86 against the Celtics. A young MJ was awesome, but the Bulls got swept 3-0.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Marshall Banana wrote:I'm with CI on this one.

KD is a top 15 player of all time. The greatest scorer of his generation. He really bought into the system in that first year at Golden State. They had the number 1 offense in the league, and the number 2 defence. I'd back them against any team any time, and I'm over 40 and still have over 100 MJ Bball cards...

The closest MJ got to facing a team of that caliber was in '86 against the Celtics. A young MJ was awesome, but the Bulls got swept 3-0.

Oh, I totally agree that the 17 & 18 Warriors were on another level, I just don't think that 2 year period is really an asterisk over LeBron's career in the GOAT discussion.
Marshall Banana

Jay Cee Gee wrote:

Oh, I totally agree that the 17 & 18 Warriors were on another level, I just don't think that 2 year period is really an asterisk over LeBron's career in the GOAT discussion.
Oh, I see.

Yeah - I'm not an asterisk's guy.

As for current NBA news - Bojan Bogdanovic is out for the season due to wrist surgery. Big loss for the Jazz, if we see basketball again this season - which I'm not remotely confident in...
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Pippen and Rodman would have been as close to a perfect recipe to stop KD as you could get.
Marshall Banana

Bowens wrote:

Pippen and Rodman would have been as close to a perfect recipe to stop KD as you could get.
Sure - but KD torched Kawhi/Duncan for fun.

I just don't think the Bulls would have enough offense.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Bowens wrote:

They might do it but KD 's jump shot was close to impossible to stop. But who's gonna guard Klay? Iggy and Draymond could hit threes too. Plus their bench was strong and could score quickly.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Marshall Banana wrote:
Bowens wrote:

When was that? They were getting demolished on home court in the WCF until Zaza "accidentally" slid under Kawhi. Spurs were up 21 when that happened.

edit: Ah I see you're referring to the Thunder in the prior year's playoffs...fair enough but Tim Duncan was 40 when those games were played so basically you're left with a young Kawhi.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

CrazyIslander wrote:
Bowens wrote:

They might do it but KD 's jump shot was close to impossible to stop. But who's gonna guard Klay? Iggy and Draymond could hit threes too. Plus their bench was strong and could score quickly.
MJ on Klay. Curry is the tough matchup for the Bulls but Harper was a pretty solid defender.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Tbf I think it would also make a difference what rules we're playing under; Bulls would stand a good chance with modern rules/interpretations IMO but they would annihilate the GSW with the 90s rules (thinking in terms of physicality, hand-checking, and no-zone)
Marshall Banana

fonzeee wrote:
Marshall Banana wrote:
Bowens wrote:

When was that? They were getting demolished on home court in the WCF until Zaza "accidentally" slid under Kawhi. Spurs were up 21 when that happened.

edit: Ah I see you're referring to the Thunder in the prior year's playoffs...fair enough but Tim Duncan was 40 when those games were played so basically you're left with a young Kawhi.
And Rodman is 35 in 1996. Still an excellent defender - but he's not sticking with KD on the perimeter... this ain't Pistons' Rodman.

Draymond is a superior player on both sides of the ball.

Bulls don't have enough.

Harper-MJ-Pip-Kukoc-Rodman? Unless you want to throw Longley in there...

Curry, Klay, KD, and Draymond (DPOY in 2017) are all in their primes, and Iggy is one of the best perimeter defenders in the game.

Warriors for me. Best 5 I've seen on an NBA floor.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Let's be honest, (as Bones has alluded to) the Bulls' competition was way stiffer than GSW; yes, the Cavs had Lebron, but:

- they never had a great (good?) coach after Blatt left
- Kyrie is an excellent individual player, but his ability to elevate a team is pretty debatable
- they never properly used Kevin Love, forcing him well out of his comfort zone

They had some good role players (JR, TT), which any serious team requires, but as a whole they never looked like an all-time great team.

And this was allegedly GSW best competition...

...unless you count the Rockets (which tbf they might well have been, or at least after the aforementioned Kawhi assassination), who very very likely could have beaten them in 2018 before Chris Paul's leg gave out. Even last year they put up a decent fight sans Ariza. We're supposed to ignore 2018 because Igoudala was injured, but you're telling me the "best team of all-time" goes down to a pretty-damn-good but not all-time great team just because they lose their fifth best player? Hmmm
Last edited by fonzeee on Wed May 20, 2020 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

So to sum up the argument.
Jordan had a better team than Lebron but played against weaker opponents in the finals.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

CrazyIslander wrote:So to sum up the argument.
Jordan had a better team than Lebron but played against weaker opponents in the finals.
Sorry I ventured away from the Lebron debate. This is Bulls v Warriors. (though if we're talking all time great teams the debate could be expanded greatly, but these are the two most here will remember without going to youtube)

I like Lebron. Don't think he was as good as Jordan from the relatively little I've seen of the latter. Haven't watched enough of the other contenders to make a proper list tbf.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

If Lebron played under the old rules he'd kill Jordan and Rodman. Lebron is a beast physical wise.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Only in those 2 years though, I don't think the pre Durant Warriors, Spurs, Mavs etc were better than the teams MJ faced (maybe an argument for one of those Spurs teams). And given how weak the East was in the last 5/6 years I'd say Jordan's Bulls had the harder overall matchups in the playoffs.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Only in those 2 years though, I don't think the pre Durant Warriors, Spurs, Mavs etc were better than the teams MJ faced (maybe an argument for one of those Spurs teams). And given how weak the East was in the last 5/6 years I'd say Jordan's Bulls had the harder overall matchups in the playoffs.
Pre-Durant Warriors had the best season record ever plus they beat Durant-Westbrook. You're looking at the team as a whole, the Warriors had the best team/squad for 4 years.

So you're conceeding on the Warriors 2 years and one Spurs team. I'd add pre Durant Warriors too as argued above.
So that's 5 opponents.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

CrazyIslander wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Pre-Durant Warriors had the best season record ever plus they beat Durant-Westbrook. You're looking at the team as a whole, the Warriors had the best team/squad for 4 years.

So you're conceeding on the Warriors 2 years and one Spurs team. I'd add pre Durant Warriors too as argued above.
So that's 5 opponents.
Well no, I'm conceding the Durant Warriors and conceding you could make an argument for one of those Spurs teams. I'd have to do a really deep dive on those Spurs teams to decide either way.

I'd also point out that the Heatles (even pre Allen) were probably a more stacked squad than anything Jordan ever had.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Bulls in a clean sweep...

GWS’ coach bagging 3’s for the opposition. :thumbup:
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Slim 293 wrote:Bulls in a clean sweep...

Speaking of Kerr, I saw a stat that every championship team from 94-03 had either Steve Kerr or Robert Horry on it.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

That explains two of LBJ's losses in the NBA finals. What about the other four?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Marshall Banana wrote:
Bowens wrote:

I'm not sure KD ever scorched a peak Duncan for fun. And remember for Golden State, as well as getting Durrant, they lucked out in seeing the challenge form the West fall apart, lucked out in taking out the Spurs best player and the only one you could say is in their peak years in Kawhi, Houston's best player doesn't do defence and is a ball hogg and the Thunder's best player is one as well. GS seemed to be the only fully fit top team with peak players who weren't obsessive ball hoggs and always got to face LeBron's Cav's who would emerge easy from the shithouse east.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Slim 293 wrote:Bulls in a clean sweep...

Speaking of Kerr, I saw a stat that every championship team from 94-03 had either Steve Kerr or Robert Horry on it.
I heard that one before as well :nod:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

CrazyIslander wrote:If Lebron played under the old rules he'd kill Jordan and Rodman. Lebron is a beast physical wise.
Rodman had no problem with the likes of Karl Malone who was a tank. Can't see LeBron mentally fronting up to being beaten up every other game and teams would as his free throws aren't great. Likewise Rodman was called 'The worm' for a reason, he wasn't dishing out the physical beastings, he could utterly absorb anything you had to throw at him and still defend you or grab the rebound.
Marshall Banana

Vegas had Bron's team as 'dogs in 7 out of his 9 Finals appearances.

Analytics say Bron had it much tougher as well:

Here
Did LeBron have it easier prior to reaching the Finals? Yes.

But once there... it's an entirely different story.

Finals opponents

The low-hanging fruit is that Jordan never dealt with anyone quite like the Golden State Warriors, a historic juggernaut that just so happened to come along right smack in the middle of LeBron's stranglehold on the East.

Imagine if Jordan's prime ran parallel to Larry Bird's Celtics or Magic Johnson's Lakers? What if instead of catching the tail end of both, he instead ran into them year after year?

There's this tendency to think "Warriors" first and foremost when thinking about LeBron's trips to the Finals and while those teams certainy reign surpreme, they also in a way underscore the relative strength of his other Finals opponents. Back in 2017 I wrote about how LeBron's worst Finals opponent - the 2006-07 San Antonio Spurs - ranked in the 73rd percentile of Finals teams ever. That was before he took on the Warriors for the fourth straight year.

All nine of LeBron's Finals opponents rank among the top 36 teams ever to reach the NBA Finals, an astounding statement regarding his quality of opposition.

Even more illuminating is when you factor in how those compare to the teams Michael Jordan squared off against when amassing that unassailable 6-0 Finals record.

That Spurs team which grades out as the worst of the nine that James played against ranks higher than four of the six teams the Bulls beat, including all three from the first three-peat.
The biggest stain on Bron's career is against the Mavs in 2011. He was good in Game 1, but from there was very poor.

That Mavs playoff run was something else, tho. Swept the Lakers on the way. That's the B2B defending champ Lakers, paying $1.27 to win the series. My favourite title winning team? Probably.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Magic's Lakers?
Drexler's Portland?
Charles Barclay's best ever team?
The Stockton and Malone Utah Jazz?

Jordan is basically the reason why these teams. Also probably the East was LOADED back in the day. Jordan had much, much tougher paths to the finals. The bad boy Pistons, Riley's Knicks, Reggie Miller's Pacers, Bird's Celtics, Shaq's Orlando?