Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 120  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:25 am 

Tehui wrote:
Quote:
The 2019–20 NBA season will be the 74th season of the National Basketball Association. The regular season will begin on October 22, 2019 and will end on April 15, 2020. The playoffs will begin on April 18, 2020, and will end with the NBA Finals in June 2020. The 2020 NBA All-Star Game will be played on February 16, 2020, at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois.

I'm looking forward to this season. It's been a while since we've had an NBA season without a clear favourite to take it all.

:thumbup:

I cant wait. Am looking forward to the battle for Los Angeles, I prefer Clippers as a team but as always like Lakers also as they have raw power with Lebron and AD.

Will be fun around rest of the league too...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:39 am 

STEVEN ADAMS AND BEN SIMMONS ARE BOTH CURRENTLY SHOOTING 100% FROM 3.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:37 am 

Abercrombie with the posterizer in a losing effort to the Grizzlies.

I'm also looking forward to this season. Probably the most excited I've been about a regular season since the first two of MJ's retirements

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:47 pm 

Sometimes I forget how tall some NBA players are, until I see photos like this where AB lock Patrick Tuipulotu is made to look a little fella.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:20 am 

I have to say, after the initial excitement of the off-season, I'm feeling a real downer for the NBA right now. Given their vocal anti-Trump stances, watching Harden and Westbrook stonewall a journalists questions and usually outspoken Steve Kerr given absolute garbage excuses for not speaking up for the obvious erosion of human rights in Hing Kong for the chinese dollar is just utter corporate bollocks.

It seems athletes and corporations only conscientiously stand up for good causes today if it won't affect their bottom dollar or their corporate standing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:25 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
It seems athletes and corporations only conscientiously stand up for good causes today if it won't affect their bottom dollar or their corporate standing.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:06 pm 

Tehui wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

It's really bad when both Ted Cruz and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are signing the same letter telling you what total sell-outs you are.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:09 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Tehui wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

It's really bad when both Ted Cruz and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are signing the same letter telling you what total sell-outs you are.

NBA happy to speak out against Trump, boycotting visits to the WH, etc....but when it could impact their $$, they're happy to bend over for China. But only because "they don't really know enough about China's history" :blush: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:32 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Steve Kerr is really making a mess of things. I wonder whether he has any awareness of how he looks right now?

Indeed. Especially after his forceful political statements previously to sink, and back-up like he has looks shite. Same for that reporter blanked by Harden and Westbrook.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:46 pm 

JD Vance had an interesting take on this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aY80xwHGeUQ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:15 am 

Lebron obviously decides that not shrilling for China's political oppression deserves criticism and discussion, not China's human rights stances or anything:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... -nba-tweet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:22 am 

Man In Black wrote:
Meanwhile Enes Kanter showing how it’s done. https://twitter.com/EnesKanter/status/1 ... 15137?s=20

:thumbup:

This reply though :lol:

Quote:
Chicken on a Raft
@theMcSwag
·
Oct 11
Replying to
@EnesKanter

@BostonGlobe
and
@marjoriepritch
Enes: "Hello, Mr. Silver? I'd like to publish an interview about my struggle against Turkey's totalitarian government."

Silver: *looks at Turkey's investment in the NBA*

"Of course. We'd be happy to support your cause. We too would pay this price...but like, not ANY price."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:59 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Lebron obviously decides that not shrilling for China's political oppression deserves criticism and discussion, not China's human rights stances or anything:

Bunch of spineless plums :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:08 pm 

saffer13 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Bunch of spineless plums :lol:

It gets worse:

https://dailycaller.com/2019/10/15/lebr ... ryl-morey/

LeBron isn't just a passive scardy cat, he's a snake who pushed for Morey to be punished.

Oh and the double standards:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:13 pm 

Yeah, Lebron's stance as a voice on social issues has taken a big hit. I don't think it'll affect it too much within the black community as that's something that he can speak on with first hand experience, but it's given a big boost to the 'shut up & dribble' crowd and a lot of other people won't be keen to defend him now.

But he's probably saved himself about $100M in potential lost revenue and I'm sure the backers of Space Jam 2 will be breathing a sigh of relief....

I personally don't really care about the NBA being the woke league and I'm still super excited about this season.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:17 pm 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:

I personally don't really care about the NBA being the woke league and I'm still super excited about this season.

I know woke is being thrown about a lot here. But I don't think the NBA is especially woke. Black Lives matters was a reasonable (if overblown) issue to take big stances on and that is fine. What the NBA is showing is that's a horrible immoral league who only take good cause stances only because it's fashionable for their own PR and good for their bank balances and will happily throw people off a cliff for the same reason.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:19 pm 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Yeah, Lebron's stance as a voice on social issues has taken a big hit. I don't think it'll affect it too much within the black community as that's something that he can speak on with first hand experience, but it's given a big boost to the 'shut up & dribble' crowd and a lot of other people won't be keen to defend him now.

But he's probably saved himself about $100M in potential lost revenue and I'm sure the backers of Space Jam 2 will be breathing a sigh of relief....

Everyone should be in the 'shut up & dribble' crowd regardless of which sportsman you are talking about.
If you want a platform to talk politics earn it as a politician.

Sports people living in the most bizarrely abnormal environment are among the least qualified to express political opinions.
(To be honest reporters are not much better most not having partaken much ion the real world either)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:20 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:

I know woke is being thrown about a lot here. But I don't think the NBA is especially woke. Black Lives matters was a reasonable (if overblown) issue to take big stances on and that is fine. What the NBA is showing is that's a horrible immoral league who only take good cause stances only because it's fashionable for their own PR and good for their bank balances and will happily throw people off a cliff for the same reason.

It's not remotely woke to the level people start to use it as a pejorative, but essentially any basic acknowledgement of social issues puts it ahead of the other leagues. And yes, it was about the bottom line when it comes down to it, I took that as a given.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:15 pm 

Lebron getting quite a pasting on his twitter. Rightly so the knob. But shame, he and his team have had a rough week :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:37 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Lebron getting quite a pasting on his twitter. Rightly so the knob. But shame, he and his team have had a rough week :lol:

The Guardian have swung in to defend him. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... mments-nba

To be clear, I love Lebron, I think he’s one of the most outstanding athletes of my lifetime and the stuff he’s done with his high school is fantastic. But he’s wrong on this China stuff.

Of course they have and are framing it as if it's a conservative backlash when it clearly is act act of hypocrisy and bullshit on LeBron's part. No coincidence the author's only other pieces, he's an ex-player, are entirely pro-players and pro-LeBron actions against anything else and LeBron backed his causes. Oh and he has worked with the DNC, so it's create a false narrative time about his political opponents.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:40 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
saffer13 wrote:

The Guardian have swung in to defend him. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... mments-nba

To be clear, I love Lebron, I think he’s one of the most outstanding athletes of my lifetime and the stuff he’s done with his high school is fantastic. But he’s wrong on this China stuff.

I like his charity work, but let's face it, LeBron is a flake. A bit like Durrant, he wants one identity, the he wants another. I recall when he stated something about fast food is bad (good message) and then the next moment stated McDonalds is ok as he was heavily sponsored by them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:45 pm 

Zion out the first few weeks of the season with a knee injury.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:54 am 

NAW might become a star quick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:27 am 

Man In Black wrote:
Bowens wrote:

He seems to be too heavy to be that explosive. He’s a bit like Blake Griffin in som ways and he has had numerous injury problems.

Yep, that kind of weight in a sport like basketball cannot be good on the knees.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:31 am 

They need to get him on keto or something. It’s a worry at his age.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:00 am 

Man In Black wrote:
Bowens wrote:

He seems to be too heavy to be that explosive. He’s a bit like Blake Griffin in som ways and he has had numerous injury problems.

Watching Zion play reminds me of Barkley. Sir Charles used to look like a fatty but would bounce all around the court like he was wearing ballet shoes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:31 am 

Tehui wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Bowens wrote:

Watching Zion play reminds me of Barkley. Sir Charles used to look like a fatty but would bounce all around the court like he was wearing ballet shoes.

:thumbup: yeah some of his highlights reels where he does one man fast breaks and leaps of one foot and double handed dunks and swings on the hoop were pretty epic... I was a big fan of him back in the day...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:54 pm 

Zion tore his meniscus - he's had surgery and is out for 6-8 weeks.

Too much man for these knees. Massively concerning moving forward. :uhoh:

EDIT: I think he'll be out a lot longer...

Last edited by Marshall Banana on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:00 pm 

There's some pretty good odds on other players for RotY that could be worth a bet with Zion's health troubles.

Chuck a cheeky $10 on RJ Barrett or Tyler Herro, both paying decent odds.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:57 pm 

Whew...after whispers of a trade the Pacers extend Sabonis for a touch more than what they're paying Myles Turner (about $19m). Very happy with that, was worried he was about to get shipped out.

Jaylen Brown extended for $29m a year :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:00 pm 

fonzeee wrote:
Whew...after whispers of a trade the Pacers extend Sabonis for a touch more than what they're paying Myles Turner (about $19m). Very happy with that, was worried he was about to get shipped out.

Jaylen Brown extended for $29m a year :shock:

That Brown one is big, he's not gonna be worth that unless he kicks on. Good to see the Kings have seen sense and paid Buddy Hield.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:14 am 

Chucker Kuzma ain't saving the Lakers.

Cook-Daniels-KCP-Dudley-Dwight off the bench... Sheezus. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:14 am 

I just saw an interesting list of former NBA players who are either unsigned or who have signed internationally.

Unsigned:

Carmelo Anthony
Andrew Bogut
Jamal Crawford
Kenneth Faried
Raymond Felton
Devin Harris
Iman Shumpert
JR Smith

Internationally:

Sam Dekker
Jimmer Fredette
Jonas Jebreko
Kosta Koufos
Jeremy Lin
Nikola Mirotic
Greg Monroe
Lance Stephenson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:27 pm 

Bogut is playing in the NBL - maybe a temporary or game-by-game contract?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:37 pm 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Bogut is playing in the NBL - maybe a temporary or game-by-game contract?

No, he's on a full contract with the Kings. The rumour I heard is that he's looking at getting a share of the ownership of the team.

There's every chance he'll look at signing a late season NBA contract after the NBL season like he did last season. A lot of playoff teams would probably be happy to get a veteran inside presence on a cheap deal.

On the subject of Melo, Zach Lowe had a guy on his podcast who'd done a real deep dive into why he's no longer in the league and especially his aborted run in Houston. Was pretty interesting, basically he's no longer good enough on offense to justify him not being able to defend. And when a team is already having to make up for Harden not defending they can't have another guy out there who can't.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:36 am 

This team is so much fun to watch. Didn't realise Ingram was such a playmaker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:29 am 

...occasionally, when it's not a hot mess :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:05 am 

https://streamable.com/xqaa1

Harden. :lol:

Russ with a trip-dub today. Rox are fun with him on and Harden off...

They can't defend for shit, but - with anyone on.

In other news, just finished watching the Suns beat the Clips. I like a lot of guys on the their roster, and I love their coach. Hoping they have a half decent season.

Kings look done already. Have you tuned in to this shit show yet, goey? Really disappointing...

Thunder are tanking well - they look like the worst team in the league. I'm not exaggerating here either. The good news is, SGA has looked awesome - so that will keep me going...

Steve has looked terrible - him and CP3 just aren't on the same page right now. Bittersweet watching Gallo out here - I love that dude and wish the Thunder had him when they were contenders.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:17 pm 

Trae dropping 38 and 39 to start things off :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:41 pm 

Out of respect for Curry, I put the Warriors at 8th in my WC standings.

That is looking very, very generous right now.

They are currently getting murdered by the Thunder after getting murdered by the Clips. They are comically bad.

I'll take this win, even though I'm in full on tank mode.

Back to the Raiders...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 120  Next