Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4757 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 119  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:25 am 

Tehui wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
I wanna see, this, I hope it's on UK Netflix?

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:25 am 

These are always a bit of fun...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:31 am 

Hmmm. All the dudes on the left.

5- Jordan (shooting guard)
4 - Hakeem (center)
3 - Barkley (power forward)
2 - Stockton (point guard)
1 - Wilkins (small forward)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:34 am 

5. Dream $4
4. Worm $1
3. Admiral $3
2. His Air $5
1. Penny $1

$1 change

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:38 am 

Stockton
Jordan
Bird
Rodman
Ewing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:43 am 

Start with Jordan and Kareem for 10. Add Rodman and The Glove to do the dirty work for $3.....Plug in Dominique or Clyde for some more offence

C - Kareem
PF -Rodman
SF - Wilkins
SG - Jordan
PG - Payton

$1 change

Balanced, defensive nightmare and everyone knows their place (maybe a little undersized but it's Rodman so he's getting those boards)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:53 am 

Actually let's go all out defence

Hakeem 4
Rodman 1
Pippen 3
Jordan 5
Payton 2

Lockdown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:18 am 

They've undervalued Rodman, I reckon. You could have the core of the second Bulls threepeat with Shaq/Hakeem at centre and Glove/Stockton at point.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:22 am 

vintage_cox wrote:
Actually let's go all out defence

Hakeem 4
Rodman 1
Pippen 3
Jordan 5
Payton 2

Lockdown

Damn, other than Pippen, they were all former NBA Defensive Players of the Year. The irony is that Pippen is often lauded more than the others for his defence (8 x All-Defensive First teams).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:38 am 

fonzeee wrote:
Stockton
Jordan
Bird
Rodman
Ewing

This is my pick too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:22 am 

vintage_cox wrote:

Ignoring Jordan is the obvious 5 ollar pick. SOmetime svalue for money goes further:

Stockton (the all-time 2 PG for less than half the price of Magic? DEAL)-
Malone
Shaq
Pippen
Miller

Stockton and Malone are well known, imagine Stockton having Malone and Shaq to feed in the lane. That is physically impossible to stop. Plus Miller for 3 pt option spreading the floor and Pippen as the ultimate wing-man option and you still have a dollar left over. Pippen, Stockton and Miller would also be steal threat on every defense. :nod:

My alternative building about the obvious selecion of Jordan is

Jordan
Barclay
Robinson
Stockton
Miller

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:39 pm 

They say that time heals all wounds. Well it hasn't done anything to heal the rift between some of the players in the Bulls v Pistons rivalry of the late 80s early 90s. Just watched episodes 3 & 4.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:49 pm 

Tehui wrote:
They say that time heals all wounds. Well it hasn't done anything to heal the rift between some of the players in the Bulls v Pistons rivalry of the late 80s early 90s. Just watched episodes 3 & 4.

I didn't watch, but Jordan said he wasn't playing on the Dream Team if Isiah Thomas was there, and pretty much everyone still hates Bill Laimbeer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:52 pm 

The weird thing was always that Chuck Daly coached the Dream Team. I mean, if Jordan held it against the players that much surely he'd have held it against the coach?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:59 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Tehui wrote:

I didn't watch, but Jordan said he wasn't playing on the Dream Team if Isiah Thomas was there, and pretty much everyone still hates Bill Laimbeer.

I read a couple of years ago that it wasn't Jordan who vetoed IT, it was Magic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:11 am 

Tehui wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Tehui wrote:

Everyone says Jordan said "Isiah comes I'm gone". Pippen backed him up. But it was Magic who backed it up and brouht it around as a group decision from the Dream Team. Largely because Isiah basically stabbed him in the back when his HIV news came out, which was the complete opposite of Larry Bird's response.

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/201 ... ream-team/

BTW a good read on the Bird-Magic rivalry:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Game-Ours ... 0547394586

It both goes into how competitive they were and how they eventually became deep friends.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:16 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
The weird thing was always that Chuck Daly coached the Dream Team. I mean, if Jordan held it against the players that much surely he'd have held it against the coach?

The general acceptance was the 'Bad boys' actions where a player led thing with Thomas and Lambeer as the ring leaders, not a coach thing by the Pistons. I'm sure it was the Isiah Thomas led leaving the game early walkout to disrespect and shit on Jordan when the Bulls finally overcame the Pistons that really tipped the hate of Isiah Thomas over the edge. That was even after the Jordan rules where Isiah basically devised a game play to brutalise Jordan worse then what the Pistons frequently did to opponents.

It was also accepted that Chunk Daly was an outstanding manager of egos and headcases and had good relationships with many of the players outside the Pistons already. I also suspect that Jordan-Magic-Pippen and co thought they could only push things so far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:20 am 

5. Jordan
5. Kareem
3. Pippen
1. Rodman
1. Miller

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:35 am 

Just watched Ep 3 & 4 of the Last Dance.

Jordan is on fire!

On the Triangle Offense
Quote:
Everybody has an opportunity to touch the ball, but I didn't want Bill Cartwright to have the ball with five seconds left. That's not equal-opportunity offense, that's f--king bulls--t.

On the Detroit Walkout & Isiah Thomas comments about it
Quote:
You can show me anything you want. It's no way you can convince me he wasn't an asshole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:35 am 

Top 5 NBA GOATS

5. Michael Jordan
4. Brian Scalabrine
3. Javale McGee
2. Sean Marks

1. Nick Collison

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:32 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Tehui wrote:

Everyone says Jordan said "Isiah comes I'm gone". Pippen backed him up. But it was Magic who backed it up and brouht it around as a group decision from the Dream Team. Largely because Isiah basically stabbed him in the back when his HIV news came out, which was the complete opposite of Larry Bird's response.

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/201 ... ream-team/

BTW a good read on the Bird-Magic rivalry:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Game-Ours ... 0547394586

It both goes into how competitive they were and how they eventually became deep friends.

I watched the Magic-Bird documentary a few years ago. It's probably the second best sports documentary I've ever seen (behind Ali's 'When we were Kings'). From College rivals to NBA rivals to eventually good friends. Both multiple NBA champions and MVP winners. Hollywood wouldn't have been able to write a better script.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:35 am 

I've been watching and reading all the reactions to episodes 3 & 4. I must say, that I've always felt that the achievements of the Pistons as NBA champions have been sullied for too long. I get where the dislike of that Pistons side comes from because I disliked them as a fan at the time. But at the end of the day, that Pistons side won multiple NBA championships against the Lakers, Celtics and Bulls who were all close to their primes - that takes some doing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:46 am 

TBH, while there is an element of people disliking the Pistons style of play and some of the players personally, the reason the Pistons don't get talked about much is that they were sandwiched between two bigger and better dynasties.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:05 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
TBH, while there is an element of people disliking the Pistons style of play and some of the players personally, the reason the Pistons don't get talked about much is that they were sandwiched between two bigger and better dynasties.

I understand, and the Rockets championship side of the mid 90s suffer a bit from that too. But that Pistons side came awfully close to a three peat (losing in game 7 to the Lakers in 88, before winning in 89 and 90). They got closer to a 3 peat than the 80s Lakers or Celtics ever did.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:11 am 

Tehui wrote:
I've been watching and reading all the reactions to episodes 3 & 4. I must say, that I've always felt that the achievements of the Pistons as NBA champions have been sullied for too long. I get where the dislike of that Pistons side comes from because I disliked them as a fan at the time. But at the end of the day, that Pistons side won multiple NBA championships against the Lakers, Celtics and Bulls who were all close to their primes - that takes some doing.

I agree. They are a contender for all time greats. But it's how they did it which greats. Don't get me wrong, it's great to see them revel in it for the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary, but when so many of your peers have literally lifetime grudges that still go on today, even the affable Magic only made peace with Isiah Thomas in 2017 and only then because they were best friends before they fell out, you know they didn't do it clean. They were dirty and nasty.

I both love that they did it their way as rebels and stuck i to the man so to speak, I also detest them because of nasty they were. I begrudgingly respect that this was the way they had to do it to be champions against the odds, I begrudgingly admire they were also excellent players and a great team. But they were dirty, they were violent, even for those days and they showed a level of foul disrespect that was beyond anyone. They couldn't have done it in another era for the simple fact rules get enforced now.

Last edited by eldanielfire on Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:12 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:

Partly, I think they are talked about loads, because they were called the bad boys and went round with pirate flags for a reason.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:28 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
fact: rules get enforced now.

:lol: :lol:

:lol:

Another large factor against the pistons is they are a small market team. Their 2004 championship is largely forgotten as well amongst every other champion of the post 2k generation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:58 pm 

Kahu wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Another large factor against the pistons is they are a small market team. Their 2004 championship is largely forgotten as well amongst every other champion of the post 2k generation.

1. Detroit is not a small market. It's a smaller market in 2004 than it was in 1990, granted.
2. They're kinda seen like Hakeem's mid-90s Rockets. Team with a brief run at the top but largely overshadowed for what was before and after.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:09 pm 

Tehui wrote:

Celtics were done. The end of Bird's career his body was toast as was a lot of his teammates, the team as a whole just got old. A good "what could've been" is "what happens with the Celtics if Len Bias doesn't die of a cocaine overdose right after getting drafted 2nd by Boston in 1986?" As far as the Lakers, they were done when Magic got AIDS, and their best player suddenly became an old James Worthy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:19 pm 

I was in Houston when the Rockets won it in 94, went to the victory rally. That was a great series. Went 7 games and every one of them was close.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:41 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:

I agree. They are a contender for all time greats.

But they're not really a contender, that's the point. They're at best an honourable mention in the discussion, not a serious contender. They were the 4th best team of the 80's/90's and in the discussion for top 10 all time (but probably wouldn't make it).

Last edited by Jay Cee Gee on Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:03 pm 

Kahu wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

OK, relatively enforced, the acts of brutality done then would never be allowed today.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:51 pm 

Kahu wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Not by Karl Malone....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:00 am 

Shrekles wrote:
Kahu wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Not by Karl Malone....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:32 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
Kahu wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

OK, relatively enforced, the acts of brutality done then would never be allowed today.

Not after the 2004 Malice in the Palace!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:54 pm 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
Kahu wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Not by Karl Malone....

:lol: good call Shrekles. Was so happy Payton and Zo picked up a ring in Miami.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:06 pm 

Tehui wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Kahu wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Not after the 2004 Malice in the Palace!

Indeed, the turning point!

Good moment to post Bill Burr's routinE on the Malace in the Palace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8b81UM74Ow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:35 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
vintage_cox wrote:

Ignoring Jordan is the obvious 5 ollar pick. SOmetime svalue for money goes further:

Stockton (the all-time 2 PG for less than half the price of Magic? DEAL)-
Malone
Shaq
Pippen
Miller

Stockton and Malone are well known, imagine Stockton having Malone and Shaq to feed in the lane. That is physically impossible to stop. Plus Miller for 3 pt option spreading the floor and Pippen as the ultimate wing-man option and you still have a dollar left over. Pippen, Stockton and Miller would also be steal threat on every defense. :nod:

My alternative building about the obvious selecion of Jordan is

Jordan
Barclay
Robinson
Stockton
Miller

Fuckin' hell, Rodman is the bargain of the lot there at $1. :lol: And, at that price, my first pick.

PG - Stockton
SG - Jordan
C - Olajuwon
SF - Pippen
PF - Rodman

Fuckin'easy. And would walk all over your teams. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:36 pm 

Anyone got NBA2K20?

Think of splashing out despite the f-fckarse reviews. I don't really play online anyway, just by myself. No? Yes?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:46 pm 

Nah, I haven't played video game basketball since NBA live 95. It peaked with NBA Jam TE but I'll always have love for Basketball Nightmare on Sega Master System

Stockton is the worst point guard on that list. Your team will be smoked by mine

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4757 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 119  Next