NBA season 2019/20 - Conference Finals

All things Rugby
fonzeee

Re: NBA season 2019/20 - Purgatory

Post by fonzeee »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:Great, but can't help feel they've kind of missed the boat in not changing things up a bit. Some were floating the idea of a group stage type tournament instead of a traditional playoff structure which would have been super interesting, especially with how Silver is wanting to run a mid season tournament in future.
Was about to say fck that, but then, not sure, maybe like Super rugby it's the chance to try something new. However I don't think the NBA's structure needs much fixing.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

It's not really a long term thing necessarily, but given it's gonna be different anyway with an abbreviated season and no home advantage it seemed like a chance to do something really different.

I don't think there needs to be any change to the playoffs going forward, but I do think the mid season tournament would be interesting. While I love watching wall to wall regular season games, something to make the Jan/Feb stretch a bit more intense might be cool. The key would be making it mean something to the players (which would mean more than just money being on the line) - if it it had some bearing on the playoff seedings I reckon they'd buy in.
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

I really can’t be arsed reading how it’ll work but great to have it back. I really hope the country is in better stead by then.

My season over unders are derailed which is very disappointing.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:It's not really a long term thing necessarily, but given it's gonna be different anyway with an abbreviated season and no home advantage it seemed like a chance to do something really different.

I don't think there needs to be any change to the playoffs going forward, but I do think the mid season tournament would be interesting. While I love watching wall to wall regular season games, something to make the Jan/Feb stretch a bit more intense might be cool. The key would be making it mean something to the players (which would mean more than just money being on the line) - if it it had some bearing on the playoff seedings I reckon they'd buy in.
Good point.

Yeah, I'm not really for or against the oft-mooted midseason tourney idea. I will say that I've thought for years that they should just axe like 20 games or so to deal with the slog of the season and its toll on the players.
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

Yeah chop a quarter of the regular season and run it Christmas through the summer. That would be awesome.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

It will be interesting to see who benefits most from the combo of the layoff and short season. Rockets maybe... come in fresh and push the tempo against everyone.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Making my way through The Last Dance right now. Awesome as expected.

For all the great footage I still think my favorite part has to be in ep 6 when they're getting off the team bus:

Phil Jackson: You going to the swimming pool guys?

Dennis Rodman : I'm going for them hooch

*Jackson laughs and walks away; cut to Rodman walking up the lawn*

Rodman: Going to watch some tits and ass...shiiiit (grins)
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

fonzeee wrote:Making my way through The Last Dance right now. Awesome as expected.

For all the great footage I still think my favorite part has to be in ep 6 when they're getting off the team bus:

Phil Jackson: You going to the swimming pool guys?

Dennis Rodman : I'm going for them hooch

*Jackson laughs and walks away; cut to Rodman walking up the lawn*

Rodman: Going to watch some tits and ass...shiiiit (grins)
:lol:

I can see why many people are calling it the best documentary they watched. Certainly it's been the most gripping for me, it has everything the highs, the lows, the humour of unique characters, revelations and a lot of honesty,a lot of whats and all. Plus it really captures the greatness of Jordan, that Bulls teams and who he impacted the world.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

I've noticed the song 'White Men Can't Jump' being played at my local gym a few times over the last week. I haven't heard the song being played in years. Is this due to the 'The Last Dance' documentary or some other random reason?
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Tehui wrote:I've noticed the song 'White Men Can't Jump' being played at my local gym a few times over the last week. I haven't heard the song being played in years. Is this due to the 'The Last Dance' documentary or some other random reason?

It may be, but funnily enough I heard it mentioned on a podcast pre lockdown (it was the anniversary of it's original release) and was motivated to rewatch it. It's f**king great, for me probably my favourite sports film ever.

Tried showing it to my kids, but they're a bit young for it and weren't that interested. I persisted with them right up to the 2 on 2 tournament where Billy Hoyle is trash talking the shit out of everyone but once they didn't find that bit funny I figured there was nothing in it for them. It's kind of funny when rewatching it and realising that Wesley Snipes is actually completely trash at hoops.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Tehui wrote:I've noticed the song 'White Men Can't Jump' being played at my local gym a few times over the last week. I haven't heard the song being played in years. Is this due to the 'The Last Dance' documentary or some other random reason?

It may be, but funnily enough I heard it mentioned on a podcast pre lockdown (it was the anniversary of it's original release) and was motivated to rewatch it. It's f**king great, for me probably my favourite sports film ever.

Tried showing it to my kids, but they're a bit young for it and weren't that interested. I persisted with them right up to the 2 on 2 tournament where Billy Hoyle is trash talking the shit out of everyone but once they didn't find that bit funny I figured there was nothing in it for them. It's kind of funny when rewatching it and realising that Wesley Snipes is actually completely trash at hoops.
I might have to re-watch it again. My favourite scene is near the beginning when Wesley Snipes character is trash talking on the court like he's Gary Payton. I don't know what my favourite sports movie is, I'll have to think about that one.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Not exactly staggering news, but Vince has officially confirmed his retirement. Read a crazy stat about him, apparently he's played against 37% of all NBA players EVER.

Also this - father & son combos he played against.
Rick & Jalen Brunson
Dell, Seth & Steph Curry
Patrick Ewing & Jr
Harvey, Jerami & Jerian Grant
Tim Hardaway & Jr
Jaren Jackson & Jr
Gary Payton & II
Glenn Robinson & III
Arvydas & Domantas Sabonis
Gary Trent & Jr
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:Not exactly staggering news, but Vince has officially confirmed his retirement. Read a crazy stat about him, apparently he's played against 37% of all NBA players EVER.

Rick & Jalen Brunson
Dell, Seth & Steph Curry
Patrick Ewing & Jr
Tim Hardaway & Jr
Jaren Jackson & Jr
Gary Payton & II
Glenn Robinson & III
Gary Trent & Jr
That is actually insane.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

eldanielfire wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:Not exactly staggering news, but Vince has officially confirmed his retirement. Read a crazy stat about him, apparently he's played against 37% of all NBA players EVER.

Rick & Jalen Brunson
Dell, Seth & Steph Curry
Patrick Ewing & Jr
Tim Hardaway & Jr
Jaren Jackson & Jr
Gary Payton & II
Glenn Robinson & III
Gary Trent & Jr
That is actually insane.
:shock:
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Schedule out. Lakers vs Clippers on the first night of games.

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/06/26/ ... ding-games

Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Bowens wrote:It will be interesting to see who benefits most from the combo of the layoff and short season. Rockets maybe... come in fresh and push the tempo against everyone.
:nod:
The Rockets get the biggest boost from the hiatus because their team is uniquely built. They have a powerful backcourt in James Harden and Russell Westbrook, but with their lack of big men, their forwards were getting run down with the amount of effort required to play their style. The hiatus should have allowed them to feel fresh again, and the short schedule lets them ramp back up in time for the playoffs. And Harden tends to be worn by the postseason; he has had the chance to not only rest but also reportedly get in excellent shape for the summer.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/293 ... -favorites
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Seems the NBA are so enthralled to their Chinese overlords you can't put 'free Hong Kong' on the jerseys:

https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1 ... 0647895043
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

ESPN expose on NBA China, including coaches in Xinjiang.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/295 ... -schooling
vintage_cox

Post by vintage_cox »

Let's go kids. Who's watching?
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Present!

Zion is available for the Pels apparently. Not on any minutes restriction, but will be used sparingly.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

The virtual fans remind me of PS2 era crowd graphics.

I know it's "Ally" as in friend/supporter, but I can't help reading Ingles jersey as what you'd nickname someone called Allison.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

We're back!!!!
vintage_cox

Post by vintage_cox »

Huge defensive adjustment from the birds after going down 21 early.

Lonzo's back with the "float n' hope" :?
vintage_cox

Post by vintage_cox »

Love JJ taking it to the rim!! He wants the playoffs
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Is this the play offs?
vintage_cox

Post by vintage_cox »

No there is 8 games to decide the top 8

Then 8 and 9 playoff for he 8th spot if they are within 4? games of one another. It'll likely mean the Grizzlies playoff against Pels/Portland

I think 9th has to win 2 games in a row to get the playoff spot. But the griz only have to win 1/2

Its the Grizzlies spot to lose
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

vintage_cox wrote:No there is 8 games to decide the top 8

Then 8 and 9 playoff for he 8th spot if they are within 4? games of one another. It'll likely mean the Grizzlies playoff against Pels/Portland

I think 9th has to win 2 games in a row to get the playoff spot. But the griz only have to win 1/2

Its the Grizzlies spot to lose
:thumbup:
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Rockets playing well. Going to be interesting to see what they can do at full strength when Gordon returns.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

Lilliard and McCollum owned the Lakers backcourt to take game 1 despite an epic game from LeBron. I am picking the Blazers to won this given they have three quality bigs to help shutdown the Davis and the Lakers cannot not stop the Blazers little guys.
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

Shrekles wrote:Lilliard and McCollum owned the Lakers backcourt to take game 1 despite an epic game from LeBron. I am picking the Blazers to won this given they have three quality bigs to help shutdown the Davis and the Lakers cannot not stop the Blazers little guys.
Davis is currently hooping in game two to be fair
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Timberwolves, Warriors, Hornets to get draft picks 1, 2 and 3.

The NBA draft is a crap shoot every year. This year's draft will be even more so.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

WoodlandsRFC wrote:
Shrekles wrote:Lilliard and McCollum owned the Lakers backcourt to take game 1 despite an epic game from LeBron. I am picking the Blazers to won this given they have three quality bigs to help shutdown the Davis and the Lakers cannot not stop the Blazers little guys.
Davis is currently hooping in game two to be fair
Yep, that was as dramatic a turn around in 48 hours as you are ever likely to see.
Jay Cee Gee

Re: NBA season 2019/20 - Play Offs

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

So....Luka?

This is just the emergence of a genuine superstar - he's being guarded by two of the best wing defenders in the league, carrying an injury and is just unstoppable. And the game winner.

And PG can't score for shit at the moment. I know they wouldn't have got Kawhi without him, but the Thunder's haul in that trade is looking like daylight robbery right now.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

I'm on the Luka bandwagon now! :thumbup:
jamesfreeman

Post by jamesfreeman »

I still a Kawhi man but have been impressed with Doncic's grit. Paul George is having a real shocker...
jamesfreeman

Post by jamesfreeman »

Also not often a second year player keeps getting better too
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

jamesfreeman wrote:I still a Kawhi man but have been impressed with Doncic's grit. Paul George is having a real shocker...
I was always suspicious about how Paul George is highly rated. He never seems to be big in playoffs.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

I mean, he's lead a team to the conference finals and has multiple years scoring 25+ppg in playoffs so he's not a bum by any means. But he has tended to fade in deciding games and he's not made life easy on himself with some of his off court decisions (Playoff P, getting into it with Lillard etc).
jamesfreeman

Post by jamesfreeman »

I've always thought of him as a poor man's Lebron, another clyde drexler (at least he got a championship though and made couple finals before that)...
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

jamesfreeman wrote:I've always thought of him as a poor man's Lebron, another clyde drexler (at least he got a championship though and made couple finals before that)...
Harsh on Drexler who led his team to the NBA finals twice only to encounter the Bad Boys in full swing and then THE GOAT! who was in a "So I took it personally" kinda mood, before he finally got his title win.