NBA season 2020/21 - Dec 22 start date

All things Rugby
Kahu

Re: NBA season 2019/20 - NBA Finals (Lakers v Heat)

Post by Kahu »

Sadly I can't see Butler doing that 3 more times. If he does it might be the greatest finals performance ever.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Yeah, he's not gonna be enough for them to win. Let's remember it also took AD getting in foul trouble and AD/James turning the ball over a shitload of times. But it's nice to avoid a sweep and just makes it suck even more that Bam & Dragic are out.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

4-1 final series result then?
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Bam is back for game 4 - probably won't be enough but should make a more interesting game at least.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Tehui wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:16 am 4-1 final series result then?
I don't see why they can't take another to be honest.

I guess I didn't post it here, but I did pick the Heat before the series. If they don't play the sort of defense they did in Game 2, they still definitely have a shot. They need a recognizable Bam though. Dragic would be massive too of course, but this isn't an injury that heals in a week. He either won't play or he'll be a shadow of himself I think.

I trust Spo.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Heat defended well all game but just couldn't generate enough offence in the half court. Really missed Dragic out there, such a shame this series has been so injury hit.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:43 am Heat defended well all game but just couldn't generate enough offence in the half court. Really missed Dragic out there, such a shame this series has been so injury hit.
They needed to get Big Dick Olynyk more involved.
vintage_cox

Post by vintage_cox »

Dragic would have made the difference today, instead of 26 minutes of Kendrick Nunn. 2 of 11 , woof x(
Tehui

Re: NBA season 2019/20 - Purgatory

Post by Tehui »

Tehui wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:27 am Here's a statistical summary of the 5 players whom I consider to be the best to have ever played the game:

5. Lebron James (small forward)

- 3 x championships
- 4 x MVP
- 16 x All Star
- 12 x All NBA first team
- 5 x NBA Defensive first team
- former rookie of the year
- 1 x scoring champion

4. Magic Johnson (point guard)

- 5 x championships
- 3 x MVP
- 12 x All Star
- 9 x All NBA first team
- 4 x assists leader
- 2 x steals leader

3. Bill Russell (centre)

- 11 x championships
- 5 x MVP
- 12 x All Star
- 3 x All NBA first team
- 1 x NBA All Defensive First Team
- 4 x rebounding champion

2. Kareem Abdul-Jabar (centre)

- 6 x championships
- 6 x MVP
- 19 x All Star
- Former Rookie of the Year
- 10 x All NBA first team
- 5 x NBA All Defensive First Team
- 2 x NBA scoring champion
- 4 x blocks leader
- 1 x rebounding champion

1. Michael Jordan (shooting guard)

- 6 x championships
- 5 x MVP
- 14 x All Star
- 1 x Defensive Player of the Year
- Former Rookie of the Year
- 10 x All NBA first team
- 9 x NBA All Defensive First Team
- 10 x scoring champion

If Lebron wins his 4th championship tomorrow, I will need to review his placing on my list. I'm not sure if I could rate him higher than Magic who has 5 championships, but I'll need to seriously consider it due to Lebron's superior longevity at the top.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

You can add 1x Assist champion to LeBron's resume.

I don't think he gets enough credit for the years spent in Cleveland. That team was below average asf for the majority of the time he was there. Had he been drafted by almost any other team I believe he would already have more rings than Magic.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Has anyone won championships with 3 different teams before
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Robert Horry off the top of my head
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

LeBron is at least number 2.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Kahu wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:23 am Robert Horry off the top of my head
I looked it up. John Salley is another player. I thought he only won championships with the Pistons, but he also played for the Bulls (96) and Lakers (00).
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Tehui wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:33 am
I looked it up. John Salley is another player. I thought he only won championships with the Pistons, but he also played for the Bulls (96) and Lakers (00).
I still can't get into my head Robert Parish won a championship with the Bulls.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

The Finals MVP debate will be interesting. Obviously a big game by either could sway things, but at the moment I'd have AD ahead of James.

Game 3 counts against him for some, but for me that's actually why I think he's ahead -his performance determines the outcome . This Laker team is primarily about defence and he's a force of nature when he's on. Game 4 was ridiculous - not only locking down Butler but helping on everyone constantly. And if AD does win FMVP, I don't think that affects the debate on LBJ's legacy or GOAT claims, he's still playing at a FMVP level.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Also, mini rant here but NBA twitter is sooo f'ing toxic. The number of Lakers fans who are whinging about missing out on regular season awards is comical - now they're moaning about Rob Pelinka missing out on Exec of the Year.

He already had Lebron and the AD trade stretched anti-tampering regs to breaking point. So what were his big moves? Keeping Kuzma instead of Brandon Ingram? Missing out on Kawhi? You don't get an award for building a decent supporting cast around two all world talents that fell into your lap. This was voted for in the regular season and acquiring 2 All NBA players in the manner the Clippers did is a better move than acquiring one in the manner the Lakers did. In retrospect the Lakers played it better (but had a better starting hand) but if you're gonna play the 2020 hindsight game, Sam Presti should get it for the way he played a monumentally shitty hand. Riley was also rightly ahead of Pelinka.

FOH Lakers twitter, you've gotten two All world players in two seasons and you're gonna win the title. Stop moaning about awards you self entitled fcuks.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Tehui wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:33 am
Danny Green will do it if the Lakers win also.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

That...did not look good for AD. Didn't seem to turn his ankle or land badly, hopefully it's not an achilles.

Phew, doesn't seem to be getting any treatment.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Butler & Lebron are having a hell of a game for their respective teams.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Tehui wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:09 am Butler & Lebron are having a hell of a game for their respective teams.
Butler is back on his game 3 mindset. That shot to end the half was tough as hell.

LBJ is just sooo composed and smart, just almost always makes the right play. And he carried the team when AD was out - even though AD has had some big plays, if the Lakers close this out I think the narrative will end up with James winning FMVP.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:17 am
Tehui wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:09 am Butler & Lebron are having a hell of a game for their respective teams.
Butler is back on his game 3 mindset. That shot to end the half was tough as hell.

LBJ is just sooo composed and smart, just almost always makes the right play. And he carried the team when AD was out - even though AD has had some big plays, if the Lakers close this out I think the narrative will end up with James winning FMVP.
Yeah,iIf the Lakers win this game, James surely has to receive finals MVP after his display in this game. I'm not sure the Lakers will win it though, Butler and the Heat are showing a lot of heart.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Kuzma has had a shocker in game 5.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Lebron undisputed FMVP if they win in my opinion. He's steering the ship even if there was a game or two when AD scored more points.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Credit to Duncan Robinson for proving his cajones in these Finals. For a player that you're tempted to think is one-dimensional, he's shown he can not only keep draining 3s under the lights, but also make plays on the other side of the floor. He won't be confused with Kyle Korver.
Last edited by fonzeee on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Come on LeBron
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Heat win a close one. Great game. Great performances by Butler & Lebron.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

That was a f'king awesome game.

Lakers will probably win game 6, Miami must be exhausted.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Damn what a game. Heat not going down easy.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:40 am That was a f'king awesome game.

Lakers will probably win game 6, Miami must be exhausted.
Lakers also exhuasted plus AD is hurt.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Butler winning finals MVP would be worth it for the LeBron/Lakers’ fans meltdown alone...
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:57 pm Also, mini rant here but NBA twitter is sooo f'ing toxic. The number of Lakers fans who are whinging about missing out on regular season awards is comical - now they're moaning about Rob Pelinka missing out on Exec of the Year.

He already had Lebron and the AD trade stretched anti-tampering regs to breaking point. So what were his big moves? Keeping Kuzma instead of Brandon Ingram? Missing out on Kawhi? You don't get an award for building a decent supporting cast around two all world talents that fell into your lap. This was voted for in the regular season and acquiring 2 All NBA players in the manner the Clippers did is a better move than acquiring one in the manner the Lakers did. In retrospect the Lakers played it better (but had a better starting hand) but if you're gonna play the 2020 hindsight game, Sam Presti should get it for the way he played a monumentally shitty hand. Riley was also rightly ahead of Pelinka.

FOH Lakers twitter, you've gotten two All world players in two seasons and you're gonna win the title. Stop moaning about awards you self entitled fcuks.
Why do you subject yourself to this? It's a f**king gutter. Young NBA fans are the male version of the girls that follow the Kardashians, everything is scandalous by default.

While looking up stats for the game I gleaned that Twitter is currently blowing up re: Lebron's decision to pass to Green for the final shot. "Jordan would never have done that"...

I'm well on the Jordan side of the debate but that was 100% the right decision by Lebron. Green just pooped his pants.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

I understand but LeBron should've taken the shot.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

fonzeee wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:23 am Why do you subject yourself to this? It's a f**king gutter. Young NBA fans are the male version of the girls that follow the Kardashians, everything is scandalous by default.

While looking up stats for the game I gleaned that Twitter is currently blowing up re: Lebron's decision to pass to Green for the final shot. "Jordan would never have done that"...

I'm well on the Jordan side of the debate but that was 100% the right decision by Lebron. Green just pooped his pants.
Agree with everything you said here. Lebron was getting doubled and Green was open - you pass Green the ball every time. It was the right decision.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

That's Danny "career 40% 3-point shooter" Green, btw.

It was totally the right decision. For all the talk of Trump Derangement Syndrome, Lebron Derangement Syndrome is even more widespread.
jamesfreeman

Post by jamesfreeman »

fonzeee wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:57 am That's Danny "career 40% 3-point shooter" Green, btw.

It was totally the right decision. For all the talk of Trump Derangement Syndrome, Lebron Derangement Syndrome is even more widespread.

:thumbup:
Nit first time it happened to lebron in finals. Heres hoping better for them in game 6. Well done to miami for making it a more interesting series
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

He's a juicy thing I found out today for the Lebron haters to put in their arsenal though: in the 2011 Finals, he was the third leading scorer on the team.

THIS IS YOUR KING, LEBRON STANS?
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

Just an all time game. Balls like churchbells on Jimmy Buckets. Could not be happier at the praise he's getting, one of my favourite Bulls.

And agree with the above, its LBJs FMVP to lose. AD is awesome but there is no comparison in terms of their influence on a game. Especially when he's dialled in defensively.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

fonzeee wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:57 am That's Danny "career 40% 3-point shooter" Green, btw.

Trump Derangement syndrome is when things which are clearly not gonna land is focused upon out of anger. when there are so many dumb thins to attack Trump with, so it plays into his hands. Many of LeBron's critics point to his actual career history to highlight his faults, the multiple times he didn't perform, the constant need for stacked teams etc. Unlike Trump, Lebron isn't a bad guy but he is annoying with his sometime passive aggressive snips in the media, I mean the recent one where he claims he doesn't care about his greatness ranking is obviously BS given his tattoos, his quick abandonment of teams that don't serve him and the fact he has periodically volunteered the conversation of Mt Rushmore himself to the media.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

fonzeee wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:23 am
Why do you subject yourself to this? It's a f**king gutter. Young NBA fans are the male version of the girls that follow the Kardashians, everything is scandalous by default.

I mean, I don't search it out. I follow a bunch of media types for info and the algorithm sometimes chucks random shit in my timeline from people that others follow/like. Plus I've got some US based friends who can sometimes like some pretty dumb NBA shit (I'm looking at you Bay Area based friend who is far too interested in the LeBron vs Steph debate).