RIP Dickie Jeeps

All things Rugby
Brazil
Posts: 8108
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by Brazil »

(Probably) England's greatest scrum half has crossed the river:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... ugby-union
C69
Posts: 40066
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by C69 »

RIP
Globus knew him.
dynamo_kev
Posts: 2300
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: This vale of tears.

Dickie Jeeps goooooonnnnnee!!!

Post by dynamo_kev »

Legendary England and Lions scrum half dead at 84.

Never saw him play - way before my time - but he has a great reputation.

Went to same school as him as well.
User avatar
DragsterDriver
Posts: 24984
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Big Willi Style

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by DragsterDriver »

Actually- globus did know him I believe. Local legend was Dickie Jeeps even though he's way before my time.

My missus used to look after dickie, really nice guy- dementia hit him hard a fair while ago but they still got him to twickenham until nearly the end :)
C69
Posts: 40066
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by C69 »

DragsterDriver wrote:Actually- globus did know him I believe. Local legend was Dickie Jeeps even though he's way before my time.

My missus used to look after dickie, really nice guy- dementia hit him hard a fair while ago but they still got him to twickenham until nearly the end :)
He did actually know him and he played for his presidents 15 iirc.
He ate in his restaurant iirc
User avatar
globus
Posts: 52703
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Oundle

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by globus »

I more than just knew him.

I played for his Eastern Counties side and for his President's XV against Northampton and Leicester inter alia.

He was a great bloke. I've not seen him for years. The master of the dive pass.


Image

Here I am against his team.

Image

Very much RIP. <Head bowed>
Last edited by globus on Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
DragsterDriver
Posts: 24984
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Big Willi Style

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by DragsterDriver »

c69 wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:Actually- globus did know him I believe. Local legend was Dickie Jeeps even though he's way before my time.

My missus used to look after dickie, really nice guy- dementia hit him hard a fair while ago but they still got him to twickenham until nearly the end :)
He did actually know him and he played for his presidents 15 iirc.
He ate in his restaurant iirc
That's some file you keep on globus :o

Yes- Stocks at Bottisham.
User avatar
globus
Posts: 52703
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Oundle

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by globus »

DragsterDriver wrote:
c69 wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:Actually- globus did know him I believe. Local legend was Dickie Jeeps even though he's way before my time.

My missus used to look after dickie, really nice guy- dementia hit him hard a fair while ago but they still got him to twickenham until nearly the end :)
He did actually know him and he played for his presidents 15 iirc.
He ate in his restaurant iirc
That's some file you keep on globus :o

Yes- Stocks at Bottisham.
Yep. I was living in Cherry Hinton at the time. Went there quite a few times to have a natter.
User avatar
globus
Posts: 52703
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Oundle

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by globus »

Sad to note, he died on my birthday.

He was capable of delivering passes from any angle. I think he was dubbed "The India Rubber Man".

Just checked Wiki and it was the NZers who said that. So praise indeed.
backrow
Posts: 22389
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by backrow »

globus wrote:I more than just knew him.

I played for his Eastern Counties side and for his President's XV against Northampton and Leicester inter alia.

He was a great bloke. I've not seen him for years. The master of the dive pass.


Image

Here I am against his team.

Image

Very much RIP. <Head bowed>
Did someone start drawing a cock on your head in Biro ?
User avatar
globus
Posts: 52703
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Oundle

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by globus »

I don't think my late mother would do that.
backrow
Posts: 22389
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by backrow »

globus wrote:I don't think my late mother would do that.

Maybe it was the ex management, fairly sure she would draw a cock and spunking jizz on your head
OB..
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Dickie Jeeps goooooonnnnnee!!!

Post by OB.. »

Whereas I remember him well - even though he played for Northampton and went to the "other" school!
User avatar
handyman
Posts: 14159
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Dickie Jeeps goooooonnnnnee!!!

Post by handyman »

User avatar
Nieghorn
Posts: 19132
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Centre of the Universe

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by Nieghorn »

RIP. I'd love to see more footage of these legends in action.


Just had a thought... where would the surname 'Jeeps' come from? The vehicle's name was born from making a 'word' of the acronym for 'general purpose' (GP).
obelixtim
Posts: 6199
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by obelixtim »

Nieghorn wrote:RIP. I'd love to see more footage of these legends in action.


Just had a thought... where would the surname 'Jeeps' come from? The vehicle's name was born from making a 'word' of the acronym for 'general purpose' (GP).
A bit like Austin Healey....
dynamo_kev
Posts: 2300
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: This vale of tears.

Re: Dickie Jeeps goooooonnnnnee!!!

Post by dynamo_kev »

OB.. wrote:Whereas I remember him well - even though he played for Northampton and went to the "other" school!
The black and red one :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bradwall Boy
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by Bradwall Boy »

England U 23 tour to Canada 1977. Dickie was on tour as RFU President. Anyway drinks had been taken and he was lifted by a couple of hefty lads (no names etc.) and thrown fully clothed, blazer and all into the swimming pool.

He took it in good spirit. Sound chap.

RIP
User avatar
Torquemada 1420
Posts: 29067
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Hut 8

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

c69 wrote:RIP
Globus knew him.
Biblically?
User avatar
DragsterDriver
Posts: 24984
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Big Willi Style

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by DragsterDriver »

globus wrote:I more than just knew him.

I played for his Eastern Counties side and for his President's XV against Northampton and Leicester inter alia.

He was a great bloke. I've not seen him for years. The master of the dive pass.


Image

Here I am against his team.

Image

Very much RIP. <Head bowed>
Jacko Page was a nice old guy- did you know him?
Selim The Sot
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:53 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by Selim The Sot »

globus wrote:I more than just knew him.

I played for his Eastern Counties side and for his President's XV against Northampton and Leicester inter alia.

He was a great bloke. I've not seen him for years. The master of the dive pass.


Image

Here I am against his team.

Image

Very much RIP. <Head bowed>
Tony Bucknall, Jeremy Janion and Jacko Page - some decent company for you there, Globs (or is it the other way round?).
ZappaMan
Posts: 16219
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by ZappaMan »

RIP.

My favourite named rugby player of all time.
User avatar
HKCJ
Posts: 7760
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Auld Reekie

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by HKCJ »

ZappaMan wrote:RIP.

My favourite named rugby player of all time.

They all had great names back then. Micky Steele-Bodger, Dyson Stayt 'Tug' Wilson, Ossie Newton-Thompson, Reginald Bazley, Bev Risman, Sandy Sanders, Akker Adkins. They all sound like nicknames from the Just William books. Not to mention the unfortunately named Dick Uren.
OB..
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by OB.. »

Bradwall Boy wrote:England U 23 tour to Canada 1977.
That brings back a different memory for me.

I was living in the USA at the time and my parents came over for a visit. We took them camping up to Canada and were standing by the railings at the edge of Niagara Falls when Budge Rogers came up behind us, looking over our heads. I nudged my mother and said "Look who's behind you." Being a keen Bedford supporter she recognised him immediately. He was somewhat startled to find a little grey-haired old woman recognising him in Canada until he saw me grinning - I was the year ahead of him at school. IIRC he was the manager for that tour.
User avatar
kiap
Posts: 20042
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by kiap »

Nieghorn wrote:Just had a thought... where would the surname 'Jeeps' come from?
Apparently another spelling of Jepps, probably "son of Jepp":
Spoiler: show
Last name: Jepps

This long-established surname is of early medieval English origin, and is a patronymic form of "Jepp(e)" or "Gepp", diminutives of the Norman personal name "Jeufroi" or "Geuffroi", which appears in Middle English as "Geffrey". This name has an interesting, if complicated origin, since two or possibly three Old German given names have fallen together in the course of its formation. These names are "Gaufrid, Galfrid" and "Gisfrid", all sharing a common second element "frithu", peace. The initial elements are respectively: "gau", territory, district or land; "gala", song; and "gir", pledge. In early medieval Latin records, the name occurs as "Gaufridus, Galfridus" and "Goisfridus", forms which also appear in the Domesday Book of 1086. The popularity of the Middle English version, "Geffrey", gave rise to a variety of diminutive and pet forms, including: Geff, Jeff, Geph and Jeph, which subsequently generated a great number of surnames. In 1379, one John Jepson was noted in the 1379 Poll Tax Returns of Yorkshire, and in 1594, Nicholas Jepson, of Mostyn, was entered in the Wills Records held at Chester.

Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Jepps#ixzz4MjdrZirl
User avatar
Mr Mike
Posts: 11066
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Texas

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by Mr Mike »

HKCJ wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:RIP.

My favourite named rugby player of all time.

They all had great names back then. Micky Steele-Bodger, Dyson Stayt 'Tug' Wilson, Ossie Newton-Thompson, Reginald Bazley, Bev Risman, Sandy Sanders, Akker Adkins. They all sound like nicknames from the Just William books. Not to mention the unfortunately named Dick Uren.
Dickie Jeeps was marking Spider Urbahn in the 1959 Lions series in NZ.
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 13583
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by MungoMan »

Mr Mike wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:RIP.

My favourite named rugby player of all time.

They all had great names back then. Micky Steele-Bodger, Dyson Stayt 'Tug' Wilson, Ossie Newton-Thompson, Reginald Bazley, Bev Risman, Sandy Sanders, Akker Adkins. They all sound like nicknames from the Just William books. Not to mention the unfortunately named Dick Uren.
Dickie Jeeps was marking Spider Urbahn in the 1959 Lions series in NZ.
Now you're just taking the piss. Shirley.
User avatar
Kiwiz007
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Wanaka

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by Kiwiz007 »

Several quotes from my book...

“There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it” – Dickie Jeeps, England scrum-half (1956 – ’62)

“The way England played last season I hope they’ve all signed for Mr Lord” – Dickie Jeeps in 1983 announcing to the assembled gathering after attending a press conference given by David Lord who was publicising plans to launch a break-away worldwide rugby circus
User avatar
Mr Mike
Posts: 11066
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Texas

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by Mr Mike »

MungoMan wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:RIP.

My favourite named rugby player of all time.

They all had great names back then. Micky Steele-Bodger, Dyson Stayt 'Tug' Wilson, Ossie Newton-Thompson, Reginald Bazley, Bev Risman, Sandy Sanders, Akker Adkins. They all sound like nicknames from the Just William books. Not to mention the unfortunately named Dick Uren.
Dickie Jeeps was marking Spider Urbahn in the 1959 Lions series in NZ.
Now you're just taking the piss. Shirley.
Also the name of a racehorse now.

http://en.espn.co.uk/newzealand/rugby/player/6404.html
Selim The Sot
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:53 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by Selim The Sot »

OB.. wrote:
Bradwall Boy wrote:England U 23 tour to Canada 1977.
That brings back a different memory for me.

I was living in the USA at the time and my parents came over for a visit. We took them camping up to Canada and were standing by the railings at the edge of Niagara Falls when Budge Rogers came up behind us, looking over our heads. I nudged my mother and said "Look who's behind you." Being a keen Bedford supporter she recognised him immediately. He was somewhat startled to find a little grey-haired old woman recognising him in Canada until he saw me grinning - I was the year ahead of him at school. IIRC he was the manager for that tour.
I've got an old Rugby World magazine somewhere from 1966ish with a feature on David Perry who, as you would know, was Budge Rogers' Bedford and England team mate. He describes his training for the upcoming season which seemed to largely consist of a bit of running in army boots. He then goes on to say that Budge is the fittest man he knows and backs up his claim by stating that the great back rower does 30 sit-ups every night before retiring to bed. Extraordinary dedication!
Brazil
Posts: 8108
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by Brazil »

Bradwall Boy wrote:England U 23 tour to Canada 1977. Dickie was on tour as RFU President. Anyway drinks had been taken and he was lifted by a couple of hefty lads (no names etc.) and thrown fully clothed, blazer and all into the swimming pool.

He took it in good spirit. Sound chap.

RIP
Is your shirt still up in the clubhouse at Bradwall Road?
OB..
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by OB.. »

Selim The Sot wrote:I've got an old Rugby World magazine somewhere from 1966ish with a feature on David Perry who, as you would know, was Budge Rogers' Bedford and England team mate.[...]
David Perry's rugby career was ended when he took a pain killing injection to be able to play on during an international against France in 1966. It turned out that he had some loose pieces of bone in his knee, which did too much damage.

There was a third Bedford player in that team: Danny Hearn gained his first cap.
Selim The Sot
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:53 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by Selim The Sot »

OB.. wrote:
Selim The Sot wrote:I've got an old Rugby World magazine somewhere from 1966ish with a feature on David Perry who, as you would know, was Budge Rogers' Bedford and England team mate.[...]
David Perry's rugby career was ended when he took a pain killing injection to be able to play on during an international against France in 1966. It turned out that he had some loose pieces of bone in his knee, which did too much damage.

There was a third Bedford player in that team: Danny Hearn gained his first cap.
I remember Perry's unfortunate career ending injury. I think it came just after he had established himself as England's captain, though that was something of a hospital pass in that dismal era for England.
I was at Welford Rd when poor Hearn played his last game. He tried to put in an early crash tackle on his oppo, MacCrae, and bounced off him. It happened just in front of me and I remember the complete silence as he just lay there for what seemed ages. The man's recovery is an inspirational story, and though his spinal injury caused him to be largely wheelchair dependent I think he did recover some limited movement.
Bradwall Boy
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by Bradwall Boy »

Brazil wrote:
Bradwall Boy wrote:England U 23 tour to Canada 1977. Dickie was on tour as RFU President. Anyway drinks had been taken and he was lifted by a couple of hefty lads (no names etc.) and thrown fully clothed, blazer and all into the swimming pool.

He took it in good spirit. Sound chap.

RIP
Is your shirt still up in the clubhouse at Bradwall Road?
Indeed, but been somewhat eclipsed by all the others - Gaskell etc.
Bradwall Boy
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by Bradwall Boy »

OB.. wrote:
Bradwall Boy wrote:England U 23 tour to Canada 1977.
That brings back a different memory for me.

I was living in the USA at the time and my parents came over for a visit. We took them camping up to Canada and were standing by the railings at the edge of Niagara Falls when Budge Rogers came up behind us, looking over our heads. I nudged my mother and said "Look who's behind you." Being a keen Bedford supporter she recognised him immediately. He was somewhat startled to find a little grey-haired old woman recognising him in Canada until he saw me grinning - I was the year ahead of him at school. IIRC he was the manager for that tour.
He was indeed and Pat Briggs was the coach (Assistant Manager in those days)
User avatar
globus
Posts: 52703
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Oundle

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by globus »

DragsterDriver wrote:
globus wrote:I more than just knew him.

I played for his Eastern Counties side and for his President's XV against Northampton and Leicester inter alia.

He was a great bloke. I've not seen him for years. The master of the dive pass.


Image

Here I am against his team.

Image

Very much RIP. <Head bowed>
Jacko Page was a nice old guy- did you know him?
Just noticed this. I didn't know him well but if you look at the team sheet, I played against him.
OB..
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by OB.. »

Selim The Sot wrote:I was at Welford Rd when poor Hearn played his last game. He tried to put in an early crash tackle on his oppo, MacCrae, and bounced off him. It happened just in front of me and I remember the complete silence as he just lay there for what seemed ages. The man's recovery is an inspirational story, and though his spinal injury caused him to be largely wheelchair dependent I think he did recover some limited movement.
I had the unexpected pleasure of meeting Ian MacRae when he was over here for the last RWC. He talked about Danny Hearn - they are good friends these days and he was full of admiration for how Hearn had handled his misfortune.
Selim The Sot
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:53 am

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by Selim The Sot »

globus wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
globus wrote:I more than just knew him.

I played for his Eastern Counties side and for his President's XV against Northampton and Leicester inter alia.

He was a great bloke. I've not seen him for years. The master of the dive pass.


Image

Here I am against his team.

Image

Very much RIP. <Head bowed>
Jacko Page was a nice old guy- did you know him?
Just noticed this. I didn't know him well but if you look at the team sheet, I played against him.
Did baldy Bucknall manage to collar you, Globby? He was a pretty mobile flanker and as an Oxford man I imagine he might have been gunning for you. Would you have come across Jez Janion before? He was a fairly ordinary wing for Eastern Counties junior sides for a few years and then was rapidly propelled into the England team after moving to Bedford.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 12654
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by message #2527204 »

Nick Sizer - bloody hell.
User avatar
globus
Posts: 52703
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Oundle

Re: RIP Dickie Jeeps

Post by globus »

message #2527204 wrote:Nick Sizer - bloody hell.
Quite. I wish I had more authenticity to give you guys, but that got left behind in the blaze of stuff during divorce.

Some nice vignettes on this thread.

Brought up a load of memories.

Cheers!
Post Reply