UK Airport Expansion Report chooses......Heathrow

All things Rugby
mikerob

Re: UK Airport Expansion Report chooses......Heathrow

Post by mikerob »

I don't know if it is just posturing, but aren't BA not actually fans of Heathrow expansion because they know costs are just going to be passed on to them with increased landing charges.

I thought BA/IAG were looking to do more hubbing using Dublin once the second runway is built there... which will probably be long before LHR gets another runway.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

mikerob wrote:I don't know if it is just posturing, but aren't BA not actually fans of Heathrow expansion because they know costs are just going to be passed on to them with increased landing charges.

I thought BA/IAG were looking to do more hubbing using Dublin once the second runway is built there... which will probably be long before LHR gets another runway.
IAG are looking to do more hubbing through both Dublin and Madrid, but it will be via Aer Lingus and Iberia, not BA.

Dublins second or north runway commences on site in 2017 for completion in 2020.
C69

Post by C69 »

We simply cant afford to throw more money at the SE.
It seems the Tory magic money tree produces shit loads when the SE is concerned.
The North needs a boost even Obourne at the Weekend bemned the failures of the government in the North and feelings of the North being left behind. Well this is too expensive and a white elephant.
Cnuts.
TB63

Post by TB63 »

Saint wrote:
globus wrote:I'm not too fussed. I'm not affected, the kids are not on the main flight paths at Wobbledom.

It's a hub. Most of the passengers don't leave the airport.

I have used Heathrow a lot in my life, for business and social flights. It is what it is and it's in/near our largest and possibly most important city.

Be nice to have a suitably named Boris Airport off Canvey Island but the logistics and practicality are daunting.

At least someone, somewhere has made a decision and I can only applaud that.

I am reminded of the decision to put in a proper train to Dover instead of rolling gently through the countryside, trundle through the tunnel, the French take over and you whizz along at 120mph.

Not sure about HS2 though.
Not really true. Around 5%of passengers use it as a hub (which is a very high number) but most passengers do, in fact, leave the airport.
What happens to the passengers who don't leave the airport?? Do they become a menu item?..
globus

Post by globus »

TB63 wrote:
Saint wrote:
globus wrote:I'm not too fussed. I'm not affected, the kids are not on the main flight paths at Wobbledom.

It's a hub. Most of the passengers don't leave the airport.

I have used Heathrow a lot in my life, for business and social flights. It is what it is and it's in/near our largest and possibly most important city.

Be nice to have a suitably named Boris Airport off Canvey Island but the logistics and practicality are daunting.

At least someone, somewhere has made a decision and I can only applaud that.

I am reminded of the decision to put in a proper train to Dover instead of rolling gently through the countryside, trundle through the tunnel, the French take over and you whizz along at 120mph.

Not sure about HS2 though.
Not really true. Around 5%of passengers use it as a hub (which is a very high number) but most passengers do, in fact, leave the airport.
What happens to the passengers who don't leave the airport?? Do they become a menu item?..
They just spend their time wandering and eating before their next flight takes them to their destination.

I'm not an airline expert though I have extensively used Heathrow for a very long time. So I'm just a customer.

I'm not fussed because we either stay in a hotel on the site, or in the kiddiwinks houses, prior to travel.

The roads and access have to be massively boosted.

I've driven from Oundle to the airport and it once took me twice the time to get off the M4 as it did to get to the M25 junction.

I think the idea of a Boris Island proposition is bonkers.

Much better to improve Luton and Stansted and connections to the Midlands, North etc.

My brother, who is a bit of a whizz on this, has been saying this for years. (He's a train "enthusiast", shorthand for, "Please don't draw the ruddy train sector network at one of our barbeques again."
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

the failure of the hub concept did for the A380

heathrow, okay for a international connection in competition for schiphol, for the Atlantic traffic

but in the uk, theres not many places the you can connect to thru thiefrow, that you cant fly direct
Lorthern Nights

Post by Lorthern Nights »

mikerob wrote:I don't know if it is just posturing, but aren't BA not actually fans of Heathrow expansion because they know costs are just going to be passed on to them with increased landing charges.

They're not fans of competition which more landing slots through a 3rd runway would provide.