Post by Dai another day »

Venue:

Date: Saturday 5th November
KO: 14:30 GMT
C69

Re: Cymru vs Awstralia OFFICIAL Match Thread

Post by C69 »

I'll be back from my hols in time for the match
when is the team announced? Any need on our injuries?
Dai another day

I'm hearing some bold predictions by the Aussie contingent.

They expect a comfortable win in Wales.
Fenman

Post by Fenman »

Dear mockers gods, Dai is at it again. Please take careful heed of his witterings. On a serious note, Australia have only lost twice to Wales in the last 16 fixtures between the countries. Is it Australia that are being bold by expecting another win, or Wales being bold by accusing Australia in this way?
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Fenman wrote:Dear mockers gods, Dai is at it again. Please take careful heed of his witterings. On a serious note, Australia have only lost twice to Wales in the last 16 fixtures between the countries. Is it Australia that are being bold by expecting another win, or Wales being bold by accusing Australia in this way?
Bugger off to Oundle
henry

Post by henry »

Imagine our surprise to see a Fenman contribution.
globus

Post by globus »

AND-y wrote:
Fenman wrote:Dear mockers gods, Dai is at it again. Please take careful heed of his witterings. On a serious note, Australia have only lost twice to Wales in the last 16 fixtures between the countries. Is it Australia that are being bold by expecting another win, or Wales being bold by accusing Australia in this way?
Bugger off to Oundle
We are full. But a Fenman might get in.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

All form books point to an Aussie win.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Wales never play well in Autumn Internationals. Australia by 7.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

I've again managed to convince myself that this year it'll be different. Glutton for punishment.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Dai another day wrote:I'm hearing some bold predictions by the Aussie contingent.

From where Dai? We are coming off a shellacking at the hands of the mighty NZ and were barely able to scrape past both SA and the Pumas at home.

I should think we would be lucky to make a game of it.
The only thing in our favour is that Wales have been our bunnies for.....how long now? Still, this is a new look Wallaby side with some injuries and that record will probably not help us at all.
henry

Post by henry »

At best I hope for us to wrestle defeat from the sweaty, overly anxious mitts of victory.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Olo wrote:
Dai another day wrote:I'm hearing some bold predictions by the Aussie contingent.

From where Dai? We are coming off a shellacking at the hands of the mighty NZ and were barely able to scrape past both SA and the Pumas at home.

The only thing in our favour is that Wales have been our bunnies for.....how long now? Still, this is a new look Wallaby side with some injuries and that record will probably not help us at all.
Translation: The only thing in our favour is that we always win.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Plato'sCave wrote:
Olo wrote:

Translation: The only thing in our favour is that we always win.
It's like when we pretend the Scots might beat us every year, just politeness. :P

Just kidding, Scots.
C69

Post by C69 »

Any team news or gossip?
Not from henry though....he has form
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

c69 wrote:Any team news or gossip?
I've heard a rumour, that the selections will be predictably predictable, the game plan will be easy to foresee and will predictably be adequately countered by the Aussie who predicted the predictably predictable game plan leading to a foreseeably predictable win for the Aussies. Predictably Howler will "learn from this" and make an attempt to "not be as predictable in future to be honest", just like every game in the last the last 8 years.
C69

Post by C69 »

Plato'sCave wrote:
I've heard a rumour, that the selections will be predictably predictable, the game plan will be easy to foresee and will predictably be adequately countered by the Aussie who predicted the predictably predictable game plan leading to a foreseeably predictable win for the Aussies. Predictably Howler will "learn from this" and make an attempt to "not be as predictable in future to be honest", just like every game in the last the last 8 years.
Well that was predicable.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

c69 wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
Well that was predicable.
Yeah, but that's what everyone expects.
C69

Post by C69 »

What next?

The Spanish Inquisition?
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

c69 wrote:What next?

The Spanish Inquisition?
I don't think anyone expects them.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Wales played more expansive this year than any of the years before when Gatland was in charge. Is going expansive against a team comfortable playing this way a good idea? Attack them in the ruck and slow their ball down is the best way of beating them for any NH side.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

I always found it hard to hate Wales. They're just good people. Nigel has ruined everything.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

iarmhiman wrote:Wales played more expansive this year than any of the years before when Gatland was in charge. Is going expansive against a team comfortable playing this way a good idea? Attack them in the ruck and slow their ball down is the best way of beating them for any NH side.
If we play crashball we'll still be in in in the last 10. If we open up, we're toast.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

CrazyIslander wrote:I always found it hard to hate Wales. They're just good people. Nigel has ruined everything.
We're really not.
C69

Post by C69 »

Plato'sCave wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:I always found it hard to hate Wales. They're just good people. Nigel has ruined everything.
We're really not.
Itrw I am, on here not so much.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

c69 wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
We're really not.
Itrw I am, on here not so much.
But you always play nice and let us win.
Dai another day

What do you call an Aussie with half a brain?

Gifted.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Dai another day wrote:What do you call an Aussie with half a brain?

Gifted.
In Welsh terms.
Clive

Post by Clive »

I expect War to be playing half cooked as usual having not played for mouths.
C69

Post by C69 »

CrazyIslander wrote:
Dai another day wrote:What do you call an Aussie with half a brain?

Gifted.
In Welsh terms.
Nah we would call you special
Dai another day

Clive wrote:I expect War to be playing half cooked as usual having not played for mouths.
Excellent point as always, Clive.

We all know what Breadman possesses. Physicality and work rate being the core components of his game.

But his lack of game time is concerning. If I was a Blouses fan I'd be slightly miffed.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Wallabies are in the best shape since RWC. You guys are unlucky to get us first up.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Dai another day wrote:
Clive wrote:I expect War to be playing half cooked as usual having not played for mouths.
Excellent point as always, Clive.

We all know what Breadman possesses. Physicality and work rate being the core components of his game.

But his lack of game time is concerning. If I was a Blouses fan I'd be slightly miffed.
On top form he's one of the best, BUT no player can come in from the cold and hit top stride.
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

Wales still haven't beaten the Wallies. Seriously this is getting embarrassing.
"Getting" ? (I know, right)

I'm voting for yet another defeat, symptoms still the same: difficulty for European home side to keep up with the pace of the visitors, major one on one advantage to Wallabies, plus disparity between packs toned down compared to earlier matches when Wales at least had that going.

Furthermore, the Wallabies are having one shitty ass year, but they played England and New Zealand 3 times each and otherwise have finished 2nd next only to the Blacks in the latest Chugby Rampionpish - this coupled with the fact they've had difficult starts to seasons or bad mid-year periods before, but always find a relative ease when coming to Europe, and specifically, in the Stadium of the Millennium. Likewise, Gatland Wales just produce pretty shit November Tests, I mean it's fairly uncanny if we're honest.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Plato'sCave wrote:All form books point to an Aussie win.
Actually, I'd say the opposite is true. If you take form to mean recent form (instead of form between the two teams), then the best way to judge it is by comparing each team's performances against a team both have met recently...i.e. NZ.

Simply put, Oz lost by an average of 28 while we lost by an average of 24. Oz also only managed to score an average of 9 points across 3 tests as compared to our effort of an average of 16 points. Moreover, they had one of their games at home which ought to put a worst shade on their figures. I'd also suggest from a qualitative point of view we were 'in it' for far longer periods of various game against NZ than Oz managed (although it'd probably take a Kiwi to make a judgment call on that one) .

However, notwithstanding the above, using relative form is all a bunch of bollocks as 'form' doesn't really enter into it in my opinion (even direct form won't tell you much as both these teams will be significantly different in style, personnel and personal form from the World Cup game).

As such, it is, as it always seems to be with Oz, finely balanced. We have the monkey on our back from repeated losses, and if it's tight going into the last 20 then we'll lose again as we get nervous. So it'll either be a big win to us (if we are to win at all), or a narrow win to them in my opinion, with the narrow win to Oz being extremely more likely.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Actually, I'd say the opposite is true. If you take form to mean recent form (instead of form between the two teams), then the best way to judge it is by comparing each team's performances against a team both have met recently...i.e. NZ.

Simply put, Oz lost by an average of 28 while we lost by an average of 24. Oz also only managed to score an average of 9 points across 3 tests as compared to our effort of an average of 16 points. Moreover, they had one of their games at home which ought to put a worst shade on their figures. I'd also suggest from a qualitative point of view we were 'in it' for far longer periods of various game against NZ than Oz managed (although it'd probably take a Kiwi to make a judgment call on that one) .

However, notwithstanding the above, using relative form is all a bunch of bollocks as 'form' doesn't really enter into it in my opinion (even direct form won't tell you much as both these teams will be significantly different in style, personnel and personal form from the World Cup game).

As such, it is, as it always seems to be with Oz, finely balanced. We have the monkey on our back from repeated losses, and if it's tight going into the last 20 then we'll lose again as we get nervous. So it'll either be a big win to us (if we are to win at all), or a narrow win to them in my opinion, with the narrow win to Oz being extremely more likely.
I agree, we'll lose
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Plato'sCave wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

I agree, we'll lose
Good, we're all agreed. Lets start talking about the Argie game the week after.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Argentina ... sucks air in sharply between teeth

More worried about this game yeah. It's an unknown to me. V Aus is easy to watch as it's a known result beforehand.
Last edited by Plato'sCave on Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clive Simms

Post by Clive Simms »

We will lose cos our pack. Bradley Davies will give away multiple penalties, our scrum will go backwards and we will lose the breakdown because no Cubby boi
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Clive Simms wrote:We will lose cos our pack. Bradley Davies will give away multiple penalties, our scrum will go backwards and we will lose the breakdown because no Cubby boi
That's a highly pessimistic view.

You'll fit in perfectly around here. If we are still talking about Oz, I'd bloody well hope we don't lose because of the pack, as if we do, we'll be in a far worse place than I thought we were.