"Make Farage a Lord"

All things Rugby
danny_fitz

"Make Farage a Lord"

Post by danny_fitz »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37816745

A Sith Lord???

Anyway, its interesting that Nige runs a campaign based on the premise that the UK should take their country back from the unelected lawmakers.

And is rewarded by being made an unelected lawmaker.
globus

Re: "Make Farage a Lord"

Post by globus »

Sillier awards have been given in the past .............................
Davestar

Post by Davestar »

danny_fitz wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37816745

A Sith Lord???

Anyway, its interesting that Nige runs a campaign based on the premise that the UK should take their country back from the unelected lawmakers.

Is benefiting from a sycophant asking for him to be made a Lord, but I'll take your point. I can't see anybody in their right mind actually giving him a peerage though.
Plastic Sarrie

Post by Plastic Sarrie »

Davestar wrote:

A Sith Lord???

Is benefiting from a sycophant asking for him to be made a Lord, but I'll take your point. I can't see anybody in their right mind actually giving him a peerage though.
Luckily for Nige, though, I believe all the prospective UKIP leaders do.
JJR

Post by JJR »

I can't think of any other politician still active, or even alive, that has managed to influence as many people as Farage as. Pretty much single-handedly he has grown UKIP from zero to four million votes in 20 years, got his referendum and then won it.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Why not make him a British Lord, he's very British.
Davestar

Post by Davestar »

When the people get back their sovereignty, can we exile the garage to somewhere out of the way like Sealand? He can be a Lord out there.
slick

Post by slick »

JJR wrote:I can't think of any other politician still active, or even alive, that has managed to influence as many people as Farage as. Pretty much single-handedly he has grown UKIP from zero to four million votes in 20 years, got his referendum and then won it.
There is a lot of truth in this.
PCPhil

Post by PCPhil »

If only he's been around in the thirties. A time more suited to a specimen like him.
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

PCPhil wrote:If only he's been around in the thirties. A time more suited to a specimen like him.
Not sure he's in Churchill's league.
Lobby

Post by Lobby »

Rowdy wrote:
PCPhil wrote:If only he's been around in the thirties. A time more suited to a specimen like him.
Not sure he's in Churchill's league.
Separated at birth?

JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Ironically he'd have been quite popular in Europe at that time
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

Giving him the opportunity to drink himself to an early grave is fine by me.
Last edited by Insane_Homer on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

JM2K6 wrote:

Why?
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

Mick Mannock wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Why?
A certain resemblance to this chap maybe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_Mosley
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

Mick Mannock wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Why?
He's insinuating I think, that Churchill among many others in Europe & America were very much in favour of eugenics, it's just lucky a crazy little bastard took it, ran with it and gave it a bad name before they had the chance to implement it properly and with respectability. This is of course very harsh on Nigel, think what you want of him, but he rocked up, fought what he believed in, won and then f**ked off. That's a good way to do it.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Nigel's populist, anti-immigration, right-wing, propaganda-heavy style was all the rage on the continent.
Benthos

Post by Benthos »

Always used to view Farage as an articulate but fairly harmless middle-England type who provided a bit of a boot up the EU's arse and was in that limited context quite effective. I didn't see him as out and out racist, more the kind of bloke you meet in most pubs in the provinces, nursing a pint and, given half a chance, ranting about 'PC gawn mad'. Basically like my Dad and his drinking mates in a harmless Suffolk pub. This lyric from Pink Floyd's The Final Cut always brings him and their ilk to mind:

You put on our brave face and slip over the road for a jar.
Fixing your grin as you casually lean on the bar,
Laughing too loud at the rest of the world
With the boys in the crowd
You hide, hide, hide,
Behind petrified eyes.

You believed in their stories of fame, fortune and glory.
Now you're lost in a haze of alcohol soft middle age
The pie in the sky turned out to be miles too high.
And you hide, hide, hide,
Behind brown and mild eyes.

Then I saw that Trevor Phillips doco on C4 "Things we Won't Say about Race that are True", which was much better than I thought it would be (and Trev comes across extremely well, certainly in comparison to certain Blairites of his vintage - as an aside: anyone watching the entitled-to-buggery horrorshow of Patricia Scotland as the new Commonwealth SG..?).

His attendance at a UKIP conference was shocking - I wasn't too surprised to see some right racist plums in the audience, but I hadn't seen anyone until then directly ask NF if it should be OK to hire and fire on a racially-prejudiced basis. Amazing that no-one (to my knowledge) had been quite that direct and received such a direct response. From here on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLxhutdnFNU&t=51m0s

A significant political figure of the past decade? Yep.

Probably the single most influential person in us getting the referendum (and the result that followed)? Uh-huh.

A f**king racist tool who should be regarded as such, first and foremost? Does the Pope wank??
Dai another day

Post by Dai another day »

Nigel did a terrific job and deserves a great deal of credit for his achievements.

One of the better politicians in recent times.
JJR

Post by JJR »

Trevor Phillips is an interesting name to introduce onto this thread. An educated black man with a strong left-wing philosophy who worked in the media, he was a darling of the metropolitan elite. Then he left his cosy media job to become head of the CRE, an opportunity he thought would give him the chance to really make a difference. Then the unthinkable happened, he said that multiculturalism was a myth, it didn't exist or more likely was unattainable. This was the sort of thing that people line Paul Condon had said years before and were vilified for by those same metropolitan elite who campaigned for Phillips. So they vilified Phillips and ignored him.
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

A Sith Lord???

Fair call given Chakrabarty who has not severed in Public office nor do I see what she has done to deserve her new office plus a bigger house. Also a number of others like Preston, Straw, Blair,

or these chaps
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... Lords.html

Farrage would be in good company. Sort of feel he'd actually take it seriously
eugenefraxby

Post by eugenefraxby »

Dai another day wrote:Nigel did a terrific job and deserves a great deal of credit for his achievements.

One of the better politicians in recent times.
If you judge a politician on their ability to peddle monotonous and reductive Little England shite to the persuaded, with zero grasp of actually what it might entail being in government yes he's a f*cking belter of a politician. You dribbling chimp.
Petros

Post by Petros »

He'll want it so he continue to get pissed at the taxpayers' expense
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Petros wrote:He'll want it so he continue to get pissed at the taxpayers' expense
So what is the difference with many already there. The actual titled lords there are a number that are completely potless & using their titles turn up everyday to get their expenses which are more than signing on? Either way worth more than Chravarty (sic) I feel
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

Benthos wrote:Always used to view Farage as an articulate but fairly harmless middle-England type who provided a bit of a boot up the EU's arse and was in that limited context quite effective. I didn't see him as out and out racist, more the kind of bloke you meet in most pubs in the provinces, nursing a pint and, given half a chance, ranting about 'PC gawn mad'. Basically like my Dad and his drinking mates in a harmless Suffolk pub. This lyric from Pink Floyd's The Final Cut always brings him and their ilk to mind:

You put on our brave face and slip over the road for a jar.
Fixing your grin as you casually lean on the bar,
Laughing too loud at the rest of the world
With the boys in the crowd
You hide, hide, hide,
Behind petrified eyes.

You believed in their stories of fame, fortune and glory.
Now you're lost in a haze of alcohol soft middle age
The pie in the sky turned out to be miles too high.
And you hide, hide, hide,
Behind brown and mild eyes.

Then I saw that Trevor Phillips doco on C4 "Things we Won't Say about Race that are True", which was much better than I thought it would be (and Trev comes across extremely well, certainly in comparison to certain Blairites of his vintage - as an aside: anyone watching the entitled-to-buggery horrorshow of Patricia Scotland as the new Commonwealth SG..?).

His attendance at a UKIP conference was shocking - I wasn't too surprised to see some right racist plums in the audience, but I hadn't seen anyone until then directly ask NF if it should be OK to hire and fire on a racially-prejudiced basis. Amazing that no-one (to my knowledge) had been quite that direct and received such a direct response. From here on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLxhutdnFNU&t=51m0s

A significant political figure of the past decade? Yep.

Probably the single most influential person in us getting the referendum (and the result that followed)? Uh-huh.

A f**k racist tool who should be regarded as such, first and foremost? Does the Pope wank??
Think most of that must be in your head, he was making the point indirectly that yes British people should be favoured in Britain (not racist not even xenophobic), he then made the point indirectly that making allowances for non-whites is divisive, better to see no race "we are colour blind", he makes the point that 40 years ago the legislation was needed but now as in we've grown up. You can argue all you like if we've grown up enough yet or not to remove the protection, I'd suggest we haven't. But the ultimate aim has to be colour blindness?

The problem with making allowances is, you make sections of society permanent victims, they continue to fight the cause past equality and genuinely believe they are still martyrs, they push past 50/50, they attempt to push past 60/40 and they believe their still being held back, they blame everything wrong in their society on "the other side", as we approach anywhere near 70/30 people kick back, ordinary tolerant people kick back with a desire to take that back to 50/50.
bealonian

Post by bealonian »

Jonas wrote:
Petros wrote:He'll want it so he continue to get pissed at the taxpayers' expense
So what is the difference with many already there. The actual titled lords there are a number that are completely potless & using their titles turn up everyday to get their expenses which are more than signing on? Either way worth more than Chravarty (sic) I feel
Not sure you can use (sic) when you just can't be arsed to look up the correct spelling.
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

bealonian wrote:
Jonas wrote:
Not sure you can use (sic) when you just can't be arsed to look up the correct spelling.
Can't be arsed doing so for her it was planned or is that panned?
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Benthos wrote:Always used to view Farage as an articulate but fairly harmless middle-England type who provided a bit of a boot up the EU's arse and was in that limited context quite effective. I didn't see him as out and out racist, more the kind of bloke you meet in most pubs in the provinces, nursing a pint and, given half a chance, ranting about 'PC gawn mad'. Basically like my Dad and his drinking mates in a harmless Suffolk pub. This lyric from Pink Floyd's The Final Cut always brings him and their ilk to mind:
That seemed to be the image he like to portray but I think that's all it is an image. the kind of man not racist middle England and Wales could respect which is always what those with his views were missing.
JJR

Post by JJR »

It always amuses me that people still view Farage as an idiot. Cameron underestimated him and paid for it with his career.
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

JJR wrote:It always amuses me that people still view Farage as an idiot. Cameron underestimated him and paid for it with his career.
I'd agree he galvanised middle England & also disenfranchised Labour voters to gain a referendum win.
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

I honestly can't believe that anyone thinks this halfwit is a credible politician. Yes, he won a lot of votes and made Cameron panic enough to offer a totally unnecessary referendum, but how did he do it? He stoked the fires of racism and xenophobia. He told people it wasn't their fault things were shite, it was all the fault of nasty immigrants and the EU. In other words, he adopted precisely the same tactics as a thousand other populist racist politicians over the years.

The only reason he won so many votes was that the electorate was disillusioned with the major parties and wanted a real alternative - and his band of right-wing nutjobs were the only show in town. In England anyway - in Scotland the main beneficiaries were the SNP.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

AND-y wrote:
That seemed to be the image he like to portray but I think that's all it is an image. the kind of man not racist middle England and Wales could respect which is always what those with his views were missing.
Eh... read his entire post :)
easyray

Post by easyray »

Fcuk him. He's a twat.

Maybe they should give him the title 'Lord Twat of Little twatland'.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

JM2K6 wrote:
AND-y wrote:
Eh... read his entire post :)
oops :blush:
JJR

Post by JJR »

Doc Rob wrote:I honestly can't believe that anyone thinks this halfwit is a credible politician. Yes, he won a lot of votes and made Cameron panic enough to offer a totally unnecessary referendum, but how did he do it? He stoked the fires of racism and xenophobia. He told people it wasn't their fault things were shite, it was all the fault of nasty immigrants and the EU. In other words, he adopted precisely the same tactics as a thousand other populist racist politicians over the years.

The only reason he won so many votes was that the electorate was disillusioned with the major parties and wanted a real alternative - and his band of right-wing nutjobs were the only show in town. In England anyway - in Scotland the main beneficiaries were the SNP.

All marginal parties stoke alarmist fires be they left, right, nationalist, green or other. The SNP say things openly about the English that if if reversed would be leapt upon as bigoted and xenophobic.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Doc Rob wrote:I honestly can't believe that anyone thinks this halfwit is a credible politician. Yes, he won a lot of votes and made Cameron panic enough to offer a totally unnecessary referendum, but how did he do it? He stoked the fires of xenophobia. He told people it wasn't their fault things were shite, it was all the fault of nasty English and the Westminster elected. In other words, he adopted precisely the same tactics as a thousand other populist scottish politicians over the years.

The only reason he won so many votes was that the electorate was disillusioned with the major parties and wanted a real alternative - and his band of nationalist nutjobs were the only show in town. in Scotland the main beneficiaries were the SNP.

Fixed.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

if this helped bring the HoL to an end, i would give NF a knighthood
SomersetJock

Post by SomersetJock »

JJR wrote:I can't think of any other politician still active, or even alive, that has managed to influence as many people as Farage as. Pretty much single-handedly he has grown UKIP from zero to four million votes in 20 years, got his referendum and then won it.

Seems like a lot of effort to get a peerage, when all you need to do to get one is chair a committee for a political party and produce the whitewash result that the party leaders have instructed you to come up with.
sturginho

Post by sturginho »

"From what I gather, he was as drunk as a lord. So after a discreet period, they'll probably make him one" - Sir Humphrey
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

JJR wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:I honestly can't believe that anyone thinks this halfwit is a credible politician. Yes, he won a lot of votes and made Cameron panic enough to offer a totally unnecessary referendum, but how did he do it? He stoked the fires of racism and xenophobia. He told people it wasn't their fault things were shite, it was all the fault of nasty immigrants and the EU. In other words, he adopted precisely the same tactics as a thousand other populist racist politicians over the years.

All marginal parties stoke alarmist fires be they left, right, nationalist, green or other. The SNP say things openly about the English that if if reversed would be leapt upon as bigoted and xenophobic.
Really? Name one, then. An actual quote from a named senior party figure, mind. (Blaming Westminster for things doesn't count). I think you'll struggle. Also, the SNP aren't a marginal party in Scotland, and they obviously don't field candidates anywhere else. If you don't like them, that's up to you, but trying to draw parallels with Farage and his mob is weak.

I wasn't talking about them anyway, apart from in passing.