AIs: Ireland V New Zealand II Official Match Thread

All things Rugby
iarmhiman

Re: AIs: Ireland V New Zealand II Official Match Thread

Post by iarmhiman »

That first 3 minutes. Ireland have never played intensity like that. NZ's speed with ball was amazing.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Great test match that, real tough stuff. Well done NZ.

Losing 2 of our best players really hampered our clinicality, but credit to NZs defence, ferocious stuff.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Chuckles1188 wrote:Brodie Retallick desperately needs to grow a great big lumberjack beard and never ever shave it off ever again. Phenomenal, world-class player, strong candidate for all-time great, but Jesus you can hear the banjos

Probably more intelligent than 99.9% of the flatheads on here
brat

Post by brat »

akann wrote:
Tehui wrote:
marcopolio wrote:NZ midfield as weak as it's been in years. Fekitoa is a very warm point in the attack.
Injuries haven't helped. Crotty, SBW and Ngatai are three injured players who come to mind.
Still not convinced about ALB's defence. Like to see Goodhue step up next year and put pressure on the other guys. Could see him being a long term AB.
Alb will learn on defence
decado

Post by decado »

Oh, and thanks for the night games NHers. I'm enjoying my brekkie with my rugby.
puku

Post by puku »

Welcome back Retallick.

It didn't help the Irish that Sexton and Henshaw went off early, but the ABs line speed and "aggressive" tackling had the Irish runners going backwards when it counted.
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

unseenwork wrote:Don't think Ringrose is ready yet.
In hindsight having a 12 on the bench would have been good but you can't account for the repeated foul play that led to our injuries.

Hopefully world rugby stand down Peyper and the TMO given their complete disregard for both the laws and the directive in high tackles.
Conservative Eddie

Post by Conservative Eddie »

danthefan wrote:
alliswell wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
I thought he had a fine second half. Keep throwing him into the fire I say, he'll learn.
Ringrose/Payne doesn't seem to work particularly well.
Payne needs to be shuffled off stage left as an international centre. He poses no threat with the ball.
He should be full back. The midfield offers too little a threat.

Still, losing Henshaw was a disaster.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Phew!

Hard luck Ireland. That was an excellent game.

Read needs to stop grizzling and look at his captaincy first and foremost. He needed to take his players aside and read the riot act, rather than focus on the ref.

One trick pony Sponge Bob Barrett MOTM. :nod:
Marshall Banana

Post by Marshall Banana »

Aaron Smith was abysmal.

TJP has to start next week, with TKB on the bench.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Enzedder wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:Brodie Retallick desperately needs to grow a great big lumberjack beard and never ever shave it off ever again. Phenomenal, world-class player, strong candidate for all-time great, but Jesus you can hear the banjos

Probably more intelligent than 99.9% of the flatheads on here
Maybe but he looks like if you gave him a maths textbook he'd try to eat it
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

jdogscoop wrote:I thought that was a poor AB performance.

The loosie mix isnt right. Squire may have played his last test for the All Blacks. Offers nothing.

I love ALB though.
Loose forwards situation needs to be addressed. With Cane on, things were going well, but as soon as he went off, they couldn't adjust fire and Ireland took control immediately.
Todd on the bench may help, but Squire and Read kept to their original game plan when they needed to start playing tighter. Kaino coming back will always give more breathing room, but he is on a limited life span now.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Tschussie wrote:The ABs are all so very nice in the interviews. :lol: Such a disconnect from how they play.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Salanya wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
I thought he had a fine second half. Keep throwing him into the fire I say, he'll learn.
Playing at 12 against the All Blacks in his second cap? He did well, really came into the match after an uncertain start. He's the creativity that Ireland need in the backs, this experience will set him up very well.
Don't think he has ever played 12, I was surprised Payne didn't go to 12. Really hope Henshaw and CJ back again next week. Great game and as for the VDF doubters!!
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Brian9848 wrote:I was forced to listen to RTE commentary and it was just awful.. bordering on embarrassing. Couldn't mute the sound as others watching with me wanted to listen. Lenihan and Nugent .. just appalling.
I'm sure your labrador gave you comfort.
akann

Post by akann »

jdogscoop wrote:I thought that was a poor AB performance.

The loosie mix isnt right. Squire may have played his last test for the All Blacks. Offers nothing.

I love ALB though.
Yeah, Squire did not make one turnover considering Ireland had most of the ball. Out loosies were demolished by the Irish once Cane left. We need to find a backup no 7 to Cane soon. Currently there's just no one else.
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

Proper bloody test match that was, a good old fashioned no quarters asked or given slug fest! The scoreline does not reflect how close the two teams are, and they are damn close.

The Irish should snot the Wallabies next week. If they keep this form up, the Six nations should be a cracker. They played well, pushed us to the limit.

Aaron Smith needs to sort himself out, he was crap today! Good to see Beauden back in form.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Toro wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
He Man Rugger Pints wrote:Well done NZ, had that cutting edge.

Ireland didn't play badly, probably didn't have that X Factor NZ did. The Barrett try decision and the last tries were head scratchers from the TMO but NZ deserved their victory.
Haha really? The part where Barrett clearly grounded the ball and the two passes behind must have really confounded you.
That's about as gracious as a 'congrats' we'll get from some, it's a shame, it was a true rough as guts test match.

edited.
Don't be stupid.
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

A brutal test in many aspects. AB team woke up this week and kept their try line intact. The stats will show a fine Irish team dominated this test. But test rugby is about more than that. AB skill levels under pressure superb. Discipline still a prob.em for them though. But nice to get one back against the Men in Green. World rugby needs teams like the Irish to compete and test New Zealand. They have certainly done that.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Marshall Banana wrote:Aaron Smith was abysmal.

I don't know. I think it was the Savea's and Aaron not gettting a fair deal from them that caused most of the problems.... [/enz, /SFC. /brat]. :(
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

earl the beaver wrote:
In hindsight having a 12 on the bench would have been good but you can't account for the repeated foul play that led to our injuries.

Hopefully world rugby stand down Peyper and the TMO given their complete disregard for both the laws and the directive in high tackles.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Leave it out ... puleesssseeee !!! x(
puku

Post by puku »

I think that Aaron is still working through a few things. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Toro

Post by Toro »

Very happy with the D, very unhappy with the discipline and lack of composure. Mainly those three breakouts we got when we were a man down, two we lost inside the 22, and the other Coles threw away the ball cheaply. Had to tighten that up.

Felitoa is crazy enthusiastic on D but his lack of skills in attack sticks out in this AB team. Well taken try though.

TJP is the better HB for mine right now.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Enzedder wrote:
Lady P wrote:Crazy pace of the game didn't help Ireland I think - not enough chance to put together a coordinated attack.

I wish England were playing this NZ team. We'd probably lose especially with all the injuries, but it would have been nice to see how things stand.

You could have. :twisted:
Over valued yourselves.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Some people need to check themselves. Twats and sooks. :(
Grizz Wyllie

Post by Grizz Wyllie »

Great rivalry developing between these two nations. Well done Ireland - really enjoyed these last few weeks.

If the Irish had played today the way they'd played a fortnight ago they'd have blown New Zealand away on the scoreboard. All Blacks defended all day; apart from the opening stage never really had possession.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Gavin Duffy wrote:
Brian9848 wrote:I was forced to listen to RTE commentary and it was just awful.. bordering on embarrassing. Couldn't mute the sound as others watching with me wanted to listen. Lenihan and Nugent .. just appalling.
I'm sure your labrador gave you comfort.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Fitzy trying to row back his "two best teams comment". You're on TV mate
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

puku wrote:

I think that Aaron is still working through a few things. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Should've been given the summer off, or at the least eased is way back via the bench.
Tschussie

Post by Tschussie »

Mr Mike wrote:
Tschussie wrote:The ABs are all so very nice in the interviews. :lol: Such a disconnect from how they play.
I meant it as 100% compliment. They all seem like thoroughly decent chaps in comparison to being the ferocious ABs on the field.
Last edited by Tschussie on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

On the Barret try it shouldve been a penalty try. Sexton actually whacked Barret on the head with a swinging arm.
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

Ted. wrote:Phew!

Read needs to stop grizzling and look at his captaincy first and foremost. He needed to take his players aside and read the riot act, rather than focus on the ref.

He needed to manage the ref better. He let Ireland chew Paypers ear off. He was just ok, sir. Especially after the Aaron Smith yellow card, for a non offside.
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

CrazyIslander wrote:On the Barret try it shouldve been a penalty try. Sexton actually whacked Barret on the head with a swinging arm.
In this s game it was an instant yellow card for that type of tackle.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

puku wrote:

It was patently obvious he shouldn't have started this game after the Chicago debacle. Hansen has got a bee in his pretty wee bonnet that he needs to shift because he isn't doing us or his team any favours.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Sefton wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Lady P wrote:Crazy pace of the game didn't help Ireland I think - not enough chance to put together a coordinated attack.

I wish England were playing this NZ team. We'd probably lose especially with all the injuries, but it would have been nice to see how things stand.

You could have. :twisted:
Over valued yourselves.
We're not left wondering. Your lot are.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Gazzamonster wrote:So was this a tired NZ side at the end of a long season or was it an Irish team playing at a new level? I don't think I have seen an NZ side bossed around so much by one team before (tonight and a fortnight ago)

Wallabies bossed most of the game at Eden Park
brat

Post by brat »

Ted. wrote:

I don't know. I think it was the Savea's and Aaron not gettting a fair deal from them that caused most of the problems.... [/enz, /SFC. /brat]. :(
Think you'll find the same hbs in the 23.. agree that smith had another shocker but class is permanent
diarm

Post by diarm »

Tough test match and the score probably didn't reflect how tough it was. Superb defence from NZ won the game and there isn't another team in world rugby who could defend like that.

Brilliant performance from our pack. Everyone of them was magnificent but I thought O'Brien, Toner, VdFlier and Heaslip in that order were exceptional.

We couldn't capitalise on the ball and momentum the pack earned after losing Sexton and Henshaw so early. There's no shame in that - look at how NZ struggled after losing just one of that axis two weeks ago. Ringrose will have learned more today than in the rest of his career combined, and he still came back and back looking for more.

Congrats Kiwis, superb defensive display and that little more attacking nous when it mattered. Great series!
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Yourmother wrote:
Ted. wrote:Phew!

He needed to manage the ref better. He let Ireland chew Paypers ear off. He was just ok, sir. Especially after the Aaron Smith yellow card, for a non offside.
Yep, pyper was ripe for the plucking and Read stood and watched it happen. He needed to at least say the his players "we've pissed the ref off, so keep your fucking noses clean".
Toro

Post by Toro »

CrazyIslander wrote:On the Barret try it shouldve been a penalty try. Sexton actually whacked Barret on the head with a swinging arm.
Why? He scored the try :?