Official Westworld Thread - Spoilers everywhere!

All things Rugby
Sandstorm

Re: Official Westworld Thread - Spoilers everywhere!

Post by Sandstorm »

Watched Series 3, Ep 1. I’m out.
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

lemonhead wrote:Jusswatched. Very pleasant surprise after the shitstain of S2.

Immersive, gave us someone to give a shit about (Hell even Dolores gets some touches of humanity) and Ramin still has free reign with the adaptations. Dissolved Girl :thumbup:
i liked it. A few moments where I was struggling to join the dots but that seems to be the case with a lot of TV these days. There has been a leap from series 2 and viewers are left to fill the gaps, but the alternative is a couple of episodes of scene setting so I'm OK with that.

Mind you, I could watch Evan Rachel Wood read a book and think it was great TV.
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

Thought it was... OK. I prefer that Dolores seems to be a bit less invincible than in S2 but irritated that her plans always seem to work out because of coincidence/ plot convenience. For example:
Spoiler: show
the meeting on which she eavesdrops just happens to take place on a balcony. They decide they'll use drugs to kill her rather than shoot her in the head. There happens to be a superfast motorbike right next to her
Anyone else getting Grand Theft Auto vibes with the whole 'being able to accept crime missions on your phone'? That's not coincidence: S1 was influenced by Red Dead Redemption. They kind of dropped that in S2, then clearly went back to the Rockstar influence in S3. It was a nice allusion in S1 but now way too on the nose I think

http://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/tv/ ... -nycc-2016
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

Fk me S3E3 has to be the worst episode in the entire series. The dialogue is just so fking terrible it made me angry... "you're the realest thing to happen to me" and yet websites like Vulture are giving it 9/10 ratings etc x(

The whole Doleres/ Caleb arc is just so poor it makes me think it's being written by someone entirely different to the Bernard and Maeve arcs which, fortunately, are still pretty decent (though all starting to converge).

Really hoping we see more of the MiB/ William... I think the teaser trailer indicated that there's still some stuff to come with him
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

Was losing me again in episodes 2 and 3 but last night salvaged things a bit (despite Bernard's Benny Hill abduction attempt).

Caleb still has light years to go as a character, his last line sums up how peripheral he is to the story.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

The setting absolutely sucks in season 3.

Really badly made, boring television.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

I was going to say that I must be on my own in really liking this season, but checking the user scores on IMDB, I see it is you lot on your own. I'm thoroughly enjoying this season, and it's a massive step up on last season. A cross between Blade Runner, The Matrix and Minority Report...and it also looks the business.
naki

Post by naki »

Enjoyed the first episode for spotting the Singapore landmarks, but little else.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Omg. That 'car chase' was the worst action sequence I have ever seen. The music of the whole episode was f**king atrocious.

Westworld is dead. RIP.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Jeff the Bear wrote:I was going to say that I must be on my own in really liking this season, but checking the user scores on IMDB, I see it is you lot on your own. I'm thoroughly enjoying this season, and it's a massive step up on last season. A cross between Blade Runner, The Matrix and Minority Report...and it also looks the business.
Yeah I'm liking it too, Genre was an incredible peice of TV. Music incredible and beautifully shot.
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

Sandstorm wrote:Watched Series 3, Ep 1. I’m out.
Me too. Overwritten, confusing, up it's own arse tripe, I have come to realise.
Vuaka

Post by Vuaka »

I've not watched seasons 1 or 2.

Just started watching season 3 and my head is spinning.

Anyway, I'm just going to watch this for Evan Rachel Wood. And try to work out what the funk is happening in between.

:blush:
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

Sonny Blount wrote:Omg. That 'car chase' was the worst action sequence I have ever seen. The music of the whole episode was f**king atrocious.
Yep, the 'genre' soundtracking fking sucked. It used to be a pretty cerebral show but now allusions like Ride of the Valkyries for the car chase are so on the nose even a dumdum like me would be hard-pushed to overlook them, and it's starting to hammer on the 4th wall. I'm also thinking the 'orchestral versions of well-known pop music' schtick is now being massively overdone. Gone from being a one-off easter egg of sorts to now being a series staple.

It blows my mind that it's still getting like 9/10 or 4.5 star reviews; but then I think back to shows like Lost, The Walking Dead, and The Simpsons which jumped the shark so long before a large % of the viewership could process how shit they had become, and continued to rate them highly until well after their sell-by date
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Balls Out! wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:Omg. That 'car chase' was the worst action sequence I have ever seen. The music of the whole episode was f**king atrocious.
Yep, the 'genre' soundtracking fking sucked. It used to be a pretty cerebral show but now allusions like Ride of the Valkyries for the car chase are so on the nose even a dumdum like me would be hard-pushed to overlook them, and it's starting to hammer on the 4th wall. I'm also thinking the 'orchestral versions of well-known pop music' schtick is now being massively overdone. Gone from being a one-off easter egg of sorts to now being a series staple.

It blows my mind that it's still getting like 9/10 or 4.5 star reviews; but then I think back to shows like Lost, The Walking Dead, and The Simpsons which jumped the shark so long before a large % of the viewership could process how shit they had become, and continued to rate them highly until well after their sell-by date
Really strange, I've got the exact opposite opinion. I think the car chase with nearly zero car noise was great. The music was supposed to be tropey, that was the point of the drug.

My only gripe is the dialogue for Delores is so hammy. It's her character, but it gets annoying.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

So not far from a week since the series finale and no comments.

About sums up how well this held anyone's interest.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Post credit scene was excellent. Decent season, better than 2. I was entertained.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Zakar wrote:Post credit scene was excellent. Decent season, better than 2. I was entertained.
I found the whole season occasionally difficult to follow but i think that just shows I'm getting old. I have a feeling that whole season was just setting up for the next one. Post credits really amped things up.
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

Sonny Blount wrote:So not far from a week since the series finale and no comments.

About sums up how well this held anyone's interest.
As mentioned, better than S2 and will probably watch next one if it's on.

But getting progressively sillier. Great premise diluted by sloppy plotlines, consequence free action scenes, whack a mole character resurrection and difficult to give two shits about anything.

Only comparison I can draw is watching the early Alien films thinking holy shit what happens if this ever gets to Earth. Then the cinematic universe expands and you've local sheriffs blasting facehuggers out of sewer pipes in Hicksville USA. Fvckin meh.
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

Finally got around to finishing this off. I was a massive, massive fanboy of Season 1, but dear God, it's become so awful. We started the finale, had to pause halfway through, then only 3 weeks later remembered we hadn't finished it - that's how non-compelling it was. We talked earlier on this thread I think about the Apolocalpyse Now thing being totally on the nose, but there are so many allusions to other movies now, it's hard to know where hat-tipping stops and ripping-off begins. And are there even any likable characters left? Or even human ones for that matter?
Spoiler: show
- Stubbs presumably dead. The ice in the bath tub - Universal Soldier reference?
- Sizemore - dead (in human form)
- MIB - presumably dead (in human form). Pissed about this one, as he was about the only (anti) hero left. So much bathos in that ending. "I'M GOING TO SAVE THE WORLD!" yeah nah
- Ford - people thought he'd come back eventually in some form, but seems he's dead-dead
- Maeve - Mary Sue Prime has now become Beatrix from Kill Bill
rant over, I'm done with it now :( :x