The Official British Politics Thread

All things Rugby
bimboman

Re: The Official British Politics Thread

Post by bimboman »

openclashXX wrote:UKIP and Lib Dems will still be relevant post-A50 because of the pressure they'll be applying to get their preferred EU deal (single market vs no single market)

For 2 years or so, then not so much. Unless people have a burning desire for the death penalty or some such UKIP bollocks. The lib dems offer nothing .
waguser

Post by waguser »

bimboman wrote:
waguser wrote:Labour are in danger of losing the 60% of their voters who voted remain in pursuit of the 40% who voted leave..

The problem isn't just numbers it's location, the 40% are in marginals.
good point, would be interested to see the data on it

the problem for them is that if they lose the support of middle class labour remainers leaking to lib dem

they could end up with a whole heap more marginals

If the Lib Dems go full course hard on being the spearhead of a HARD remain u-turn vote they could do very well

the problem being of course that if May invokes article 50 next year they won't have time to turn the ship around!!

I woonder what would happen if there was a Hard Brexit followed by a spectacular pro EU driven LIB Dem recovery?
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

waguser wrote:
bimboman wrote:
waguser wrote:Labour are in danger of losing the 60% of their voters who voted remain in pursuit of the 40% who voted leave..

The problem isn't just numbers it's location, the 40% are in marginals.
good point, would be interested to see the data on it

the problem for them is that if they lose the support of middle class labour remainers leaking to lib dem

they could end up with a whole heap more marginals

If the Lib Dems go full course hard on being the spearhead of a HARD remain u-turn vote they could do very well

the problem being of course that if May invokes article 50 next year they won't have time to turn the ship around!!

I woonder what would happen if there was a Hard Brexit followed by a spectacular pro EU driven LIB Dem recovery?
Think that would be a mistake. Not sure there is a huge appetite for that as most remainers would view that as fundamentally undemocratic. They should do what they are doing and push for oversight (and possible vote) on the terms of Brexit, not Brexit itself.
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

DragsterDriver wrote:
openclashXX wrote:UKIP and Lib Dems will still be relevant post-A50 because of the pressure they'll be applying to get their preferred EU deal (single market vs no single market)
I meant when the two years is up, serving the article 50 is just a speed bump. Plenty more fighting yet!
Once it's served there is no going back, once the negotiations start it will be clear that the shouting from the sidelines makes no difference. The players are on the field.
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

Well the next step going forward is the end of the Union if it is triggered, hopefully the courage can be found to do so and end this horrible business.
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

unseenwork wrote:Well the next step going forward is the end of the Union if it is triggered, hopefully the courage can be found to do so and end this horrible business.
I don't think so, but a focus must be put on keeping great Great Britain together, we can all accept some losses. But I don't think Scotland will leave.
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

dr dre2 wrote:
unseenwork wrote:Well the next step going forward is the end of the Union if it is triggered, hopefully the courage can be found to do so and end this horrible business.
I don't think so, but a focus must be put on keeping great Great Britain together, we can all accept some losses. But I don't think Scotland will leave.
Why? What's the point in prolonging this farce?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

What happens to Northern Ireland then? Southern Ireland doesn't want it.
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

DragsterDriver wrote:What happens to Northern Ireland then? Southern Ireland doesn't want it.
Some sort of fudge as always, what's it to you pal?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

unseenwork wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:What happens to Northern Ireland then? Southern Ireland doesn't want it.
Some sort of fudge as always, what's it to you pal?
It's a horrible business.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

i wonder how many of those who voted remain...or leave for that matter....are so zealous in their beliefs that it would be their prime consideration in choice of party to vote for come the general election
pandion

Post by pandion »

Dobbin wrote:i wonder how many of those who voted remain...or leave for that matter....are so zealous in their beliefs that it would be their prime consideration in choice of party to vote for come the general election
It's daft and any party playing on some peoples sour grapes will risk self destructing once article 50 is passed and the same people dump them.
pandion

Post by pandion »

unseenwork wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
Why? What's the point in prolonging this farce?
:lol: Scotland would be totally f**ked. They're worried about a hard Brexit and want guarantees but if Sturgeon drummed up a leave vote on the UK a hard exit would cripple them.
C69

Post by C69 »

So apparently Don has had a telephone conversation with Sturgeon about their shared values.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

c69 wrote:So apparently Don has had a telephone conversation with Sturgeon about their shared values.

The Don found an English person he doesn't like ?
C69

Post by C69 »

Diane Abbott gets ripped a new one on the beeb the Fallon follows it up by an even worse interview.
Dear good our politicians are terrible.
C69

Post by C69 »

There seems to be a Michael Gove love in on BBC 1 a wholly unbalanced hagiography.
Petros

Post by Petros »

c69 wrote:Diane Abbott gets ripped a new one on the beeb the Fallon follows it up by an even worse interview.
Dear good our politicians are terrible.

She boobed this week in a Grauniard article referrring to 19th century Irish immigrants to the UK
C69

Post by C69 »

So the government is releasing info from numerous Police forces related to the Miners Strike.
Could be quite explosive if it is proven that there was Central government involvement in mobilising and coordinating police activities.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

c69 wrote:So the government is releasing info from numerous Police forces related to the Miners Strike.
Could be quite explosive if it is proven that there was Central government involvement in mobilising and coordinating police activities.

What are you in about? What police activities are you on about ? The police being involved in policing might be seen as a benefit.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

c69 wrote:So the government is releasing info from numerous Police forces related to the Miners Strike.
i believe it was government orchestrated, interesting to see tebbit's reaction as the thought of some truth coming out

not sure abou it now though, to see it as another era, or necessary to be revisited, to prevent history from repeating itself
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

looks like we'll have to pay some one, to take the place off our hands. wouldn't take long for a ROI though
C69

Post by C69 »

bimboman wrote:

What are you in about? What police activities are you on about ? The police being involved in policing might be seen as a benefit.
Does it take practice to be as stupid as that?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Another question asked another attempt at avoidance of the question from the thread starter. Come on give some detail on what your actual point is rather than a disengenuos headline.
C69

Post by C69 »

bimboman wrote:
c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Another question asked another attempt at avoidance of the question from the thread starter. Come on give some detail on what your actual point is rather than a disengenuos headline.
So what you want me to do is to educate you as to why there were calls for a public inquiry into the Policing during the Miners strike, because this is new news to you and you have not heard of any issues related to this before? Is that correct?
Last edited by C69 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

So what you want me to do is to educate you as to why there were calls for a public inquiry into te Policing during the Miners strike, because this is new news to you and you have not ear of any issues related to this before? Is that correct?
There was a public inquiry request on tthe Orgrieve riots, it was turned down. Are these the police activities you're referring too? Do you think those police were "mobilised" in some way other than normal ?
C69

Post by C69 »

Bimbo

This may be addressed with the release of Cabinet papers and other documents. I am afraid I do not have the prescience to determine what is in the papers that are to be released.
Btw Bimbo how many people were found guilty of rioting ?
How many were found guilty on that day of anything like riot?
IIRC the the trials collapsed, all charges were dropped and a number of lawsuits were brought against the police for assault, unlawful arrest and malicious prosecution. South Yorkshire Police later agreed to pay £425,000 compensation and £100,000 in legal costs to 39 pickets in an out of court settlement. However, no officer was disciplined for misconduct.

If you are going to support the South Yorkshire Police, good luck with that
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

c69 wrote:Bimbo

This may be addressed with the release of Cabinet papers and other documents. I am afraid I do not have the prescience to determine what is in the papers that are to be released.
IIRC the the trials collapsed, all charges were dropped and a number of lawsuits were brought against the police for assault, unlawful arrest and malicious prosecution. South Yorkshire Police later agreed to pay £425,000 compensation and £100,000 in legal costs to 39 pickets in an out of court settlement. However, no officer was disciplined for misconduct.

If you are going to support the South Yorkshire Police, good luck with tht

Ive made no such support, I just wanted to clear up we were talking about the one event rather than a series of mobilisations , it appears yes we are still talking about the one incident. Hank's for clearing up the hyperbole of your original post. :thumbup:
C69

Post by C69 »

bimboman wrote:
c69 wrote:Bimbo

If you are going to support the South Yorkshire Police, good luck with tht

Ive made no such support, I just wanted to clear up we were talking about the one event rather than a series of mobilisations , it appears yes we are still talking about the one incident. Hank's for clearing up the hyperbole of your original post. :thumbup:
Err you still can not actual comprehend other peoples posts. I specifically adressed your "riot" comment with the later part of my post.
You may have missed the bit related to the mobilisation of the police
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

Another Brexiteer who really gets the common man! :lol: :lol: :lol:
C69

Post by C69 »

I like haggis wrote:Image

All in this together. This guy puts Corbyn and momentum into perspective.
Different sides of the same out of touch coin
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

There was a story on HIGNFY about 5 years ago about him canvassing with his Nanny. And his response to a hysterical canvassee was "Why are you laughing, if I was here with my Valet you wouldn't find that funny" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

A former MP on the Russian problem ...
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Mensch is a deeply unpleasant lunatic.

Meanwhile, there were a bunch of council by-elections yesterday. 4 Tory defences, one Labour, one SNP and one free-for-all.

Labour and the SNP held both of theirs, while the Tories lost all four of theirs and the free-for-all, two to independents and the other three to the Lib Dems. What makes this interesting is that two of the Lib Dem gains were in a Leave area (Teignbridge) - signs that their recovery may not be limited exclusively to Remain areas.

(Getting my info off the Britain Elects twitter account, which anyone who does use Twitter would be well-advised to follow)
theo

Post by theo »

A former MP on the Russian problem ...
Has she lost her mind?
DAC2016

Post by DAC2016 »

Jesus H Christ, what the fudge?
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Early days yet but the Lib Dem fightback could be real
theo

Post by theo »

I guess they are currently benefitting from the mess that is the Labour Party under Corbyn and annoyed Con voters over Brexit.

Not sure if that will translate into the GE, though I expect Labour will still be a farce.
croyals

Post by croyals »

Will be interesting to see, in the event that this Parliament lasts until 2020 and (presumably) we have left the EU, what the Lib Dems will have as their raison d'etre. Not saying it isn't possible, but I can't see how their current position lasts in the long term.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

croyals wrote:Will be interesting to see, in the event that this Parliament lasts until 2020 and (presumably) we have left the EU, what the Lib Dems will have as their raison d'etre. Not saying it isn't possible, but I can't see how their current position lasts in the long term.
Really? They were the default protest party for a fair while, and as long as Corbyn is in charge of Labour they have an obvious role to fill as the moderate centre-left party. It's not difficult at all to see what they raison d'etre would be after the UK has left the EU