Southern Rail Strike

All things Rugby
Jonas

Southern Rail Strike

Post by Jonas »

Well its on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38255751

I know a few nurses whose commute from surrey at the moment take upto 2 hours each way. This is now making them look for work more locally & taking a cut in their salaries or for 2 of them looking at leaving the NHS after some 25yrs to other employment. Well done the unions & Southern Rail. A terrible service, management & staff
SamShark

Re: Southern Rail Strike

Post by SamShark »

It sounds absolutely awful.

It affects a couple of people I work with and their situation is really bad - just no idea if and when they will get to work/home each day.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Jonas wrote:Well its on

I know a few nurses whose commute from surrey at the moment take upto 2 hours each way. This is now making them look for work more locally & taking a cut in their salaries or for 2 of them looking at leaving the NHS after some 25yrs to other employment. Well done the unions & Southern Rail. A terrible service, management & staff
25 years doing a 4 hour daily commute? jesus. and for shit pay. Where do you buy loyalty like that.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

How much moolah are the drivers on?
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Jonas wrote:Well its on

25 years doing a 4 hour daily commute? jesus. and for shit pay. Where do you buy loyalty like that.
I should have said that lately their journeys from Surrey has descending to a farcical level whereby it is now taking them up to 2 hours each way over the last 4 -6 weeks. Now there is a strike looming.
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Gavin Duffy wrote:How much moolah are the drivers on?
More than nurses & teachers.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Hopefully it will lead to technology being implemented and strikes being a thing of the past.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

bimboman wrote:Hopefully it will lead to technology being implemented and strikes being a thing of the past.
If they could invent technology to replace incompetent management that might help as well.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

A5D5E5 wrote:
bimboman wrote:Hopefully it will lead to technology being implemented and strikes being a thing of the past.
If they could invent technology to replace incompetent management that might help as well.

Get the right technology (which in fairness the management are trying to start) then our kids could manage it online.
C69

Post by C69 »

What is the "it" you talk of?
Adversarial Management V Union struggles should be a thing of the past. British models of worker relations are appalling and productivity bares this out. However Southern Rail generally take incompetence with their operational strategy to another level and treat everyone with contempt.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

c69 wrote:
Adversarial Management V Union struggles should be a thing of the past. British models of worker relations are appalling and productivity bares this out. However Southern Rail generally take incompetence with their operational strategy to another level and treat everyone with contempt.

What have they done in their strategy which is incompetent in your opinion ?
Redsfan

Post by Redsfan »

Would just like to pop into this thread to express solidarity with my comrades. ✊
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Robot nurses eh, I can see the benefits of that
C69

Post by C69 »

bimboman wrote:
c69 wrote:

Are you fecking joking?
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

Hopefully the Government do a u turn and give TFL control of Southern Rail, the situation is an absolute disgrace. Tbf, trains in this country largely are, extremely expensive and mostly terrible.
Last edited by I like haggis on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C69

Post by C69 »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Robot nurses eh, I can see the benefits of that
At least they may do as they are told :o
Mutters something about having a crap day in world due to shit loads of things not being done as was instructed and written in triplicate, and not for the first time ffs.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

bimboman wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:

Get the right technology (which in fairness the management are trying to start) then our kids could manage it online.
I wasn't referring to managing the rolling stock, I was thinking of managing staff, reputation and customer relations. This will be a case study for how management can lose sight of the purpose of their company for years to come.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
c69 wrote:

Are you fecking joking?

NI I'm asking for some details from you ? How have the management caused the strikes, work to rules and massive sick day issue? Come one some detail
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

A5D5E5 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:

I wasn't referring to managing the rolling stock, I was thinking of managing staff, reputation and customer relations. This will be a case study for how management can lose sight of the purpose of their company for years to come.
Well hopefully they'll be no staff to manage when it is automated. The current franchisee should lose the line, network rail should make compensation available for the issues at London Bridge, the opportunistic lying unionised conductors should all be fired.... Then the train automation to get rid of the drivers should begin.
C69

Post by C69 »

Sorry bimbo if you have no idea about how appalling Southern Rail is then I'm not surprised.
Try google you moron.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

c69 wrote:Sorry bimbo if you have no idea about how appalling Southern Rail is then I'm not surprised.
Try google you moron.

So that's a no then.... I asked what you found so appaling, and how in YOUR opinion the management had caused the strikes. You must be able to summerise it considering how definite your statements have been.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

bimboman wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:

Well hopefully they'll be no staff to manage when it is automated. The current franchisee should lose the line, network rail should make compensation available for the issues at London Bridge, the opportunistic lying unionised conductors should all be fired.... Then the train automation to get rid of the drivers should begin.
Definitely should lose the franchise - in fact I think it would be politically impossible to let them retain it.

While automation will inevitably lead to lower staffing levels ultimately, I can't agree with the sentiment "hopefully" as these are people and livelihoods not just numbers.
C69

Post by C69 »

bimboman wrote:
c69 wrote:Sorry bimbo if you have no idea about how appalling Southern Rail is then I'm not surprised.
Try google you moron.

So that's a no then.... I asked what you found so appaling, and how in YOUR opinion the management had caused the strikes. You must be able to summerise it considering how definite your statements have been.
Their poor management and appalling reliability is a matter of fact, Please tell me where the feck I have even intimated that
the management had caused the strikes
i've said nothing even remotely like that you belle end.
I even posted
If you can't comprehend what that means then it's your issue.
Feel free to post examples of their reliability and excellence :lol: They are terrible.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

If it was bankers etc, I don't think we would see these "just automate all the useless gits" type posts.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Definitely should lose the franchise - in fact I think it would be politically impossible to let them retain it.

While automation will inevitably lead to lower staffing levels ultimately, I can't agree with the sentiment "hopefully" as these are people a
You're arguing that we should shun technology and its cost savings and efficiency because there's jobs to be subsidised ? That's nice for the commenters of southern England getting to sponsor an unneeded rail way conductor.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Automating trains is a bit more straightfoward tbf.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

bimboman wrote:

While automation will inevitably lead to lower staffing levels ultimately, I can't agree with the sentiment "hopefully" as these are people a
You're arguing that we should shun technology and its cost savings and efficiency because there's jobs to be subsidised ? That's nice for the commenters of southern England getting to sponsor an unneeded rail way conductor.
No. That is exactly not what I am saying - I thought that was pretty clear from "while automation will inevitably lead to lower staffing levels ultimately".

I was disagreeing with your apparent glee that people would lose their jobs.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Mick Mannock wrote:If it was bankers etc, I don't think we would see these "just automate all the useless gits" type posts.

You're right they'd be people calling for them to be arbitrarily jailed as well.
Seez

Post by Seez »

Mick Mannock wrote:If it was bankers etc, I don't think we would see these "just automate all the useless gits" type posts.
Yes, the public love bankers. :?

Loads of banking jobs have been lost to automation. I dread to think how many the software I've written has replaced.
C69

Post by C69 »

A5D5E5 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

No. That is exactly not what I am saying - I thought that was pretty clear from "while automation will inevitably lead to lower staffing levels ultimately".

:lol: pmsl and that's not even his worst misinterpretation or perhaps deliberate lies.
He is either dishonest or stupid
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

A5D5E5 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

The people striking and making life miserable for 100's of thousands of people to extort money from them ? Meh.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

c69 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

:lol: pmsl and that's not even his worst misinterpretation or perhaps deliberate lies.
He is either dishonest or stupid

Says the man who hasn't answered a direct question.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

bimboman wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

The people striking and making life miserable for 100's of thousands of people to extort money from them ? Meh.
And here we will have to agree to disagree.
Redsfan

Post by Redsfan »

bimboman wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

That's not really what they are doing though, is it?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

I've a good friend who recently lost his contract in London more than partially due to missing meetings and whole days in London because of the actions of southern rail workers. They'll be many other like him, the unions have no legitimate concern regarding the driver operated doors,mand certainly the drivers coming out on strike are using the same system elsewhere within the same franchise and unions.

It's opportunistic extortion of an already bad situation.

My friend has a real family and mortgage, but hey f uck him.....
Redsfan

Post by Redsfan »

bimboman wrote:I've a good friend who recently lost his contract in London more than partially due to missing meetings and whole days in London because of the actions of southern rail workers. They'll be many other like him, the unions have no legitimate concern regarding the driver operated doors,mand certainly the drivers coming out on strike are using the same system elsewhere within the same franchise and unions.

:lol:

You are such a f**king hypocrite. Wishing unemployment on unionised workers (many of whom will have kids and mortgages), but then crying crocodile tears for your mate to elect sympathy. Pathetic.
Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Where do you live?

Automated trains? Yeah there is the technology!
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Redsfan wrote:
bimboman wrote:I've a good friend who recently lost his contract in London more than partially due to missing meetings and whole days in London because of the actions of southern rail workers. They'll be many other like him, the unions have no legitimate concern regarding the driver operated doors,mand certainly the drivers coming out on strike are using the same system elsewhere within the same franchise and unions.

You are such a f**k hypocrite. Wishing unemployment on unionised workers (many of whom will have kids and mortgages), but then crying crocodile tears for your mate to elect sympathy. Pathetic.

Ive not wished unemployment, has it crossed your simple brain that those in rail employment could get another job ?

I've certainly not mentioned it for sympathy, I care very little what people think. I do it to counter any argument that some jobs are more important than other.
Redsfan

Post by Redsfan »

bimboman wrote:
Redsfan wrote:

You are such a f**k hypocrite. Wishing unemployment on unionised workers (many of whom will have kids and mortgages), but then crying crocodile tears for your mate to elect sympathy. Pathetic.

Ive not wished unemployment, has it crossed your simple brain that those in rail employment could get another job ?

I've certainly not mentioned it for sympathy, I care very little what people think. I do it to counter any argument that some jobs are more important than other.
What job would they get with similar pay?

Almost any contracting job in the City is much less important than just about any other job anybody could do.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Redsfan wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Redsfan wrote:

What job would they get with similar pay?

Almost any contracting job in the City is much less important than just about any other job anybody could do.

And here it is folks, a value judgement that a conductor even though replaced by technology should be compensated by the populous because they once held a job that paid a certain rate.

As for the contractor, he's the PASSENGER ...... If they're are no more of these types then all the train staff lose their jobs. As for anyone doing his job, then maybe the unemployed conductors could do it ?