Castro goooooooooooone

All things Rugby
Chuckles1188

Castro goooooooooooone

Post by Chuckles1188 »

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/italy- ... 46163.html
Martin Castrogiovanni has announced his retirement from professional rugby union at the age of 35.

One of the most recognisable players in world rugby, the prop was born in Argentina but went on to earn 119 caps for Italy - a tally surpassed only by Sergio Parisse.

In addition to establishing himself as a key figure in Italy's team for more than a decade, Castrogiovanni enjoyed success at club level - winning national titles in Italy, England and France with Calvisano, Leicester Tigers and Toulon respectively.

He also helped Toulon to two European crowns, before spending a season with Racing 92 that was marred by a suspension in April. Castrogiovanni was pictured partying with Paris Saint-Germain players in Las Vegas, after he had told his club he would be attending to a family matter in Argentina.

In a statement confirming the end of his career, Castrogiovanni said: "I want to thank the Italian Rugby Federation, and above all the Italian rugby fans and fans of the national team for the extraordinary affection they have always shown me.

"I always tried to be myself, for better or for worse, and I hope that the Italian audience understood and appreciated it."
jolindien

Re: Castro goooooooooooone

Post by jolindien »

Why in the middle of the season ?
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Chuckles1188 wrote:https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/italy- ... 46163.html
Martin Castrogiovanni has announced his retirement from professional rugby union at the age of 35.

One of the most recognisable players in world rugby, the prop was born in Argentina but went on to earn 119 caps for Italy - a tally surpassed only by Sergio Parisse.

In addition to establishing himself as a key figure in Italy's team for more than a decade, Castrogiovanni enjoyed success at club level - winning national titles in Italy, England and France with Calvisano, Leicester Tigers and Toulon respectively.

He also helped Toulon to two European crowns, before spending a season with Racing 92 that was marred by a suspension in April. Castrogiovanni was pictured partying with Paris Saint-Germain players in Las Vegas, after he had told his club he would be attending to a family matter in Argentina.

In a statement confirming the end of his career, Castrogiovanni said: "I want to thank the Italian Rugby Federation, and above all the Italian rugby fans and fans of the national team for the extraordinary affection they have always shown me.

"I always tried to be myself, for better or for worse, and I hope that the Italian audience understood and appreciated it."
I liked him right up until I read that statement about not liking plums... what did we ever do to him?
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

If it makes you feel any better, he was talking about Richard Cockerill
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

jolindien wrote:Why in the middle of the season ?
Makes sense given what he did to Racing at end of last season. Are they still looking at that legally?
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

those were good days
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

JM2K6 wrote:If it makes you feel any better, he was talking about Richard Cockerill
Wasn't he the bloke who faced off to the Haka? I take it he must have done some less endearing things after that little piece of quality entertainment.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Demilich wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:If it makes you feel any better, he was talking about Richard Cockerill
Wasn't he the bloke who faced off to the Haka? I take it he must have done some less endearing things after that little piece of quality entertainment.
Ended up director of rugby at Leicester, so yeah.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

JM2K6 wrote:
Demilich wrote:
I don't know a lot about Leicester to be fair, but what I do know is that it was one of those annoying, shitty squares on a Monopoly board, which always underperformed if you owned them, and overperformed if you didn't. So I guess that is reason enough to dislike him.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Demilich wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Demilich wrote:
I don't know a lot about Leicester to be fair, but what I do know is that it was one of those annoying, shitty squares on a Monopoly board, which always underperformed if you owned them, and overperformed if you didn't. So I guess that is reason enough to dislike him.
Errr

Can't be arsed
tafano

Post by tafano »

He did that try against the French.
We will never forget him
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

While he hasn't been a big facor for a few years, I did love me some Castro in his peak years. Great player mid-2000's and early 2010's.
covrich

Post by covrich »

He wasn't great since the last year he had at Tigers but I did really enjoy him at Tigers for Many years late 2000s
La soule

Post by La soule »

Never liked him.

Had this habit of getting hammered in the scrum most of the games he played in only to go and windup the opposition on the ONE scrum he managed to win.

Despicable cnut