Larkham is back

All things Rugby
Brumbie_Steve

Larkham is back

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Steve Larkham is going to play for the Brumbies in the Brisbane 10's next year. Chris Latham will also be playing for the Reds.
Nieghorn

Re: Larkham is back

Post by Nieghorn »

Brumbie_Steve wrote:Steve Larkham is going to play for the Brumbies in the Brisbane 10's next year. Chris Latham will also be playing for the Reds.
So the steppers and speedsters are going to target the old men for tries?
BBB

Post by BBB »

:? Pretty sure I read somewhere that the teams are contractually obliged to field their strongest squads.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

BBB wrote::? Pretty sure I read somewhere that the teams are contractually obliged to field their strongest squads.
Given the Brumbies other options, he probably fits the bill.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

He probably still the best 10 in Australia, let alone the Brumbies
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Bindi wrote:He probably still the best 10 in Australia, let alone the Brumbies
You wouldn't think so watching the Brumbies. Jake White poisoned his mind! He's more machine now than man ...
kiap

Post by kiap »

Nieghorn wrote:
You wouldn't think so watching the Brumbies. Jake White poisoned his mind! He's more machine now than man ...
True, for the Brumbies. But our attack under Larkham (for the Wallabies) flourished on the end-of-year tour. First time for many years.

Dare I say it, but the Aussie backline was scoring set-piece tries that you didn't (and won't) see from other teams. Other greatly lauded test teams. :o

Unfortunately we leaked a truckload of points to these opposition sides. x(
fraz

Post by fraz »

kiap wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
True, for the Brumbies. But our attack under Larkham (for the Wallabies) flourished on the end-of-year tour. First time for many years.

Dare I say it, but the Aussie backline was scoring set-piece tries that you didn't (and won't) see from other teams. Other greatly lauded test teams. :o

Did you notice when this started happening though? The reemergence of backline moves in the Wallabies coincided perfectly with the selection of Quade Cooper. I know he hasn't been playing, but I would not be remotely surprised to find out he's been pushing the backline move barrow and floating a lot of ideas. He's an idiot, of course, but the man does have a rugby brain.
kearnstar

Post by kearnstar »

That ex-kiwi skills coach too
Gotta give that credit, or else... ya know...
comets

Post by comets »

this was discussed in another thread Brumbie steve :P

http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74054
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

fraz wrote:
kiap wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
You wouldn't think so watching the Brumb
ies. Jake White poisoned his mind! He's more machine now than man ...

Did you notice when this started happening though? The reemergence of backline moves in the Wallabies coincided perfectly with the selection of Quade Cooper. I know he hasn't been playing, but I would not be remotely surprised to find out he's been pushing the backline move barrow and floating a lot of ideas. He's an idiot, of course, but the man does have a rugby brain.
I totally agree or atleast I hope its the case.
kiap

Post by kiap »

fraz wrote:
kiap wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

You may be right there :)

I was gonna pose the question at the end of whether Bernie had anything to do with it, but it wouldn't have suited my agenda in replying to Niegs . :P

If true, it bodes well for the Reds in 2017.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

BBB wrote::? Pretty sure I read somewhere that the teams are contractually obliged to field their strongest squads.
The NZ teams won't be playing their AB players who toured the USA and Europe in November as they have an NZR mandated rest period.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Ali's Choice wrote:
The NZ teams won't be playing their AB players who toured the USA and Europe in November as they have an NZR mandated rest period.

Nah, it was already brought to your attention on the other thread that the NZ teams will be fielding AB players who were on those tours...

They are contractually obligated to field their best teams, plus there is a big incentive in terms of a large cash prize that the players get a cut of if they win...

Dagg, Kaino and Ben Smith have already been promoting the tournament.