Has Christmas always been this crazy or has it gotten worse?

All things Rugby
MrJonno

Has Christmas always been this crazy or has it gotten worse?

Post by MrJonno »

For the last 20 years I have either been outside Ireland or just made a flying visit meaning other people were looking after the details. This morning I went to Dunnes to pick up the turkey and buy a few other things. I thought I was clever going at 08.00. It was fecking hectic! I got one of the last parking spaces and had to queue for over an hour at the checkout, then when I left at 09.50 there was a huge queue of cars waiting to get into the car park!! (its the Cornelscourt Dunnes and the queue stretched back to the bottom of Cornelscourt Hill Road in one direction and to God knows where in the other) It can't have always been like this surely! If I'm here next year Ill have to go at 06.30 or bring a gun.
Mullet 2

Re: Has Christmas always been this crazy or has it gotten wo

Post by Mullet 2 »

Shut up you monay cúnt
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

By all accounts Blanch has been a living hell the last few days.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

I feel your pain, I went early (Tesco's f**king click and pick up trolley bastards everywhere. Then morrisons ! Where I sat for 20 minutes to get a parking space, although as entertainment watching the driving from mainly old people was f ing hilarious. I decided to see that as the bright side of 3 hours of shopping.
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

Nolanator wrote:By all accounts Blanch is a living hell t
fixed
JoeMangled

Post by JoeMangled »

Mullet 2 wrote:Shut up you monay cúnt
:lol:

I live in town. It's a dream. Pints again in 30 minutes.

Shopping centres can get fuct.
Clive

Post by Clive »

MrJonno wrote:For the last 20 years I have either been outside Ireland or just made a flying visit meaning other people were looking after the details. This morning I went to Dunnes to pick up the turkey and buy a few other things. I thought I was clever going at 08.00. It was fecking hectic! I got one of the last parking spaces and had to queue for over an hour at the checkout, then when I left at 09.50 there was a huge queue of cars waiting to get into the car park!! (its the Cornelscourt Dunnes and the queue stretched back to the bottom of Cornelscourt Hill Road in one direction and to God knows where in the other) It can't have always been like this surely! If I'm here next year Ill have to go at 06.30 or bring a gun.
You clearly missed my OP, things you loath about Christmas, Its got worse, It seems that to enjoy yourself you must over indulge tons of food tons of booze and tons of presents, you cannot get away from it unless you take a flight to the North Pole and stay for about twelve weeks.

If you try Not to get involved your seen as a misery, I like having the break from work and that's it, your experience is the same for most of us, and I find it a bit disturbing we spend so much money on you know what.
Petej

Post by Petej »

bimboman wrote:I feel your pain, I went early (Tesco's f**k click and pick up trolley bastards everywhere. Then morrisons ! Where I sat for 20 minutes to get a parking space, although as entertainment watching the driving from mainly old people was f ing hilarious. I decided to see that as the bright side of 3 hours of shopping.
I fail to understand why when they can go at any time they go when it is most busy. They're a nightmare on roundabouts as they cut across 2 lanes with complete indifference.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Petej wrote:
bimboman wrote:I feel your pain, I went early (Tesco's f**k click and pick up trolley bastards everywhere. Then morrisons ! Where I sat for 20 minutes to get a parking space, although as entertainment watching the driving from mainly old people was f ing hilarious. I decided to see that as the bright side of 3 hours of shopping.
I fail to understand why when they can go at any time they go when it is most busy. They're a nightmare on roundabouts as they cut across 2 lanes with complete indifference.

I'm not allowed to comment on roundabouts any more , however this was them fighting over parking spaces and one old boy who just parked behind 3 cars near the entrance (not in a space) blocking all three cars in.
Diego

Post by Diego »

Nolanator wrote:By all accounts Blanch has been a living hell the last few days.
Blanch has always been a living hell.
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

I don't have that much 'monay' as you call it but quality of life is more important.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

We spent so much today I can't retire ever.
henry

Post by henry »

It's an obscene farce of a day made all the worse by the increasingly long hysteria that precedes it.
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

bimboman wrote:
Petej wrote:

I'm not allowed to comment on roundabouts any more , however this was them fighting over parking spaces and one old boy who just parked behind 3 cars near the entrance (not in a space) blocking all three cars in.

As long as he was indicating that was OK :P
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

It's gotten septic.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

henry wrote:It's an obscene farce of a day made all the worse by the increasingly long hysteria that precedes it.
100% in agreement. Great excuse to get hammered though.
globus

Post by globus »

henry wrote:It's an obscene farce of a day made all the worse by the increasingly long hysteria that precedes it.
Miserable blighter.

I love it. Ignore the shops playing "Jingle Bells" in October and it's just great.

Just brought three cockerels home from the local butcher (for ourselves and kiddiwinks). Nearly wrenched my shoulders out!

Tree is up, wine and fizz are in, hors d'oeuvres in the process of manufacture.

Presents wrapped. Haircut at 11.20 booked for tomorrow.

It's "The Management's" birthday too.

Plus, we do go to church and apart from Easter, this is the most important day of the year.

I shall have The 'Hallelujah Chorus' from Handel's Messiah belting out in the morning.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Diego wrote:
Nolanator wrote:By all accounts Blanch has been a living hell the last few days.
Blanch has always been a living hell.
Liffey Valley has been a nightmare as well - queues in and out all day
Red Chopper

Post by Red Chopper »

MrJonno wrote:For the last 20 years I have either been outside Ireland or just made a flying visit meaning other people were looking after the details. This morning I went to Dunnes to pick up the turkey and buy a few other things. I thought I was clever going at 08.00. It was fecking hectic! I got one of the last parking spaces and had to queue for over an hour at the checkout, then when I left at 09.50 there was a huge queue of cars waiting to get into the car park!! (its the Cornelscourt Dunnes and the queue stretched back to the bottom of Cornelscourt Hill Road in one direction and to God knows where in the other) It can't have always been like this surely! If I'm here next year Ill have to go at 06.30 or bring a gun.
Shouldn't you be wrestling with the carp in the bath atm, or have I got you confused with another poster? We've been invited to Slovakia for Xmas next year, cant wait for the Xmas eve feast... :uhoh:
BBC 2

Post by BBC 2 »

It will carry on until Russia and China call their debts in
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

Red Chopper wrote:
Shouldn't you be wrestling with the carp in the bath atm, or have I got you confused with another poster? We've been invited to Slovakia for Xmas next year, cant wait for the Xmas eve feast... :uhoh:

No you're right but I have convinced my wife that hake is an acceptable alternative to carp (we did salmon before but she decided she wanted a white fish this year) and the traditional fish soup starter, instead of being made with the discarded eyeballs, hate glands and scrotums of the carp will be a spicy butternut squash with halibut and salmon soup.

You should enjoy Christmas in Slovakia. Carp is actually alright (at its very best) but there should be a nice roast on the 25th (the carp is on the 24th) and there should be lots of top quality booze, watch out for the plum brandy though!
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

globus wrote:
Miserable blighter.

I love it. Ignore the shops playing "Jingle Bells" in October and it's just great.

Just brought three cockerels home from the local butcher (for ourselves and kiddiwinks). Nearly wrenched my shoulders out!

Tree is up, wine and fizz are in, hors d'oeuvres in the process of manufacture.

Presents wrapped. Haircut at 11.20 booked for tomorrow.

It's "The Management's" birthday too.

Plus, we do go to church and apart from Easter, this is the most important day of the year.

I shall have The 'Hallelujah Chorus' from Handel's Messiah belting out in the morning.
oundle sounds like a place where people park in the middle of 2 parking spaces
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

And all this to celebrate a summer / winter solstice

Fecking pagans - aren't we?

I had no such problems. Sent the wife
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

sorCrer wrote:
100% in agreement. Great excuse to get hammered though.
This is Henry, he doesn't need the excuse.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I was at the butchers for 7am on the way to work and there were pensioners everywhere :o
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

I'm loving it; everybody is running around and stressing like crazy, whilst I stroll through the shops, humming along to carols, with no pressure and all the time in the world.
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

Still, Muppet Christmas Carol is on tomorrow, so no complaints there.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Salanya wrote:I'm loving it; everybody is running around and stressing like crazy, whilst I stroll through the shops, humming along to carols, with no pressure and all the time in the world.
Weed is great :thumbup:
Red Chopper

Post by Red Chopper »

DragsterDriver wrote:I was at the butchers for 7am on the way to work and there were pensioners everywhere :o
Bloody hell, who's your butcher - Hillary Briss?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Red Chopper wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:I was at the butchers for 7am on the way to work and there were pensioners everywhere :o

Only a couple of 'proper' butchers left in Cambridge.
Red Chopper

Post by Red Chopper »

DragsterDriver wrote:
Red Chopper wrote:

Only a couple of 'proper' butchers left in Cambridge.
I spent longer queueing at the butchers this morning than i did at Lidl. Full of nice home counties middle class twats down for Christmas in the country. Fortunately, after doing all the shopping, then putting the tree up, I met up with some mates down the boozer - I'm now feeling no pain. :thumbup:
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Putting up the tree on 23rd? You lazy cnut
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

isn't "gotten" an exclusively American word ?
GUESS NOT, YOU FAKKIN CANTTT PIECE OF SHIIT USELESS FAAAAQKKQ !!
Okay, okay !!...
waguser

Post by waguser »

MrJonno wrote:

I don't have that much 'monay' as you call it but quality of life is more important.

Whooshed there Mr J...

I did all me stuff in small shops and the get a massive Turkey delivered direct from sibling Bogger farmer mates
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Enzedder wrote:And all this to celebrate a summer / winter solstice

My wife and her sister got up at 5.00am this morning to get over to K-Mart (24 hour opening hours). They thought they were being smart by getting in at the crack of dawn. Poor wee lambs got there and struggled to find a parking spot. Apparently the crowds had started building from 3.00am onwards.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Auckman wrote:
Enzedder wrote:And all this to celebrate a summer / winter solstice

My wife and her sister got up at 5.00am this morning to get over to K-Mart (24 hour opening hours). They thought they were being smart by getting in at the crack of dawn. Poor wee lambs got there and struggled to find a parking spot. Apparently the crowds had started building from 3.00am onwards.

What for?

I did my shopping after work, walking through the crowds as if they weren't there with The Terminator's single-minded infrared vision and was out in five minutes per store x 3. Sorted!
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

the idea was to avoid the crowds during the day. Everyone else seems to have had the same idea.
Openside

Post by Openside »

Gotten?

Has your English always been this bad or has it become worse? :P

just knows I will have made an error and will rightfully be pulled to pieces
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

I buy just one present each Christmas - the trouble and strife deserves the effort (the spawn have been given life, what more do they fecking want??)

Anyway, I knew what she wanted this year so I headed off, grandkids in tow, yesterday. 10 minutes later I had gotten the present (with 40% off), 3 icecreams and was headed back home.

Thanks everyone - I give lessons on the cheap.
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

staying with Sis and Fam so borrowed their ute to get to local supamegaboozebarn in deepest Boganistan...fudge Me Blind! Hundreds in the queues, mountains of booze, stalking the carpark for trolleys...all done now, though...