Wendigo7

Re: Cockers gooooooone

Post by Wendigo7 »

I can't find anything on google. :uhoh:
Crivvens

Post by Crivvens »

Breaking news on BBC Radio Leicester.

Mauger and Smurf to take 'interim' charge.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

official announcement
Former Tigers and England hooker Cockerill has been on the coaching staff at the club since 2004, becoming director of rugby in 2010.

Cockerill said: "It is with great sadness and regret that I leave my position as director of rugby with immediate effect. I still believe that I am the right person to lead the team at this present time but respect the Board's decision to make change as they see fit in the best interests of the club.

"I wish to thank the club and in particular Simon Cohen and Peter Tom for giving me the opportunity to lead this great club and the support they have given me in the last seven years.

"I arrived back at the club in 2004 as an academy coach and leave as DOR with a record that speaks for itself and stands up against any in club rugby in the world.

"This club has made me the person and the coach I am today and I will never forget what they have done for me.

"I wish Tom Youngs and the team the very best for the future and will miss being part of the Tigers Family."

Cockerill joined the club as a player in 1992 and became a member of the 'ABC Club' front row with Graham Rowntree and Darren Garforth, making 262 appearances, winning five league titles, two domestic cups and back-to-back European Cups. He also earned 27 caps for England.

After two years with Montferrand in France, Cockerill returned to Leicester for a second spell as a player and joined the coaching staff, initially with the academy. He worked as forwards coach and twice as interim head coach before being named head coach as Tigers won the Premiership title and reached the European Cup Final in 2009.

Tigers retained the Premiership crown in 2010 and Cockerill became director of rugby in July that year. The team reached the Premiership Final again in 2011 and 2012, as well as winning the Anglo-Welsh Cup in 2011/12, and the team collected a record 10th league title with victory in May 2013.

Tigers chairman Peter Tom CBE said: "We thank Richard for his loyal and dedicated service as a player, coach and director of rugby. He has a great passion for the club and for the game of rugby, and has shared in many massive occasions with the Tigers.

"The club always has aspirations to contest the major honours in the game and that remains unchanged but the board believes this is the right time to make a change."

Tigers head coach Aaron Mauger will be in interim charge of team affairs working with coaches Richard Blaze and Geordan Murphy and the existing support staff.

The Board will also conduct a review of the coaching structure to determine an appropriate way forward.

The club will not make any further comment at this stage.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Mallinder to follow then.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Wendigo7 wrote:Mallinder to follow then.
I think it's illustrative that Tigers pushed first - more desire in general to win. Saints too willing to accept poor performance by comparison. Cockerill was and is an arse, but had a much better record to point to as reason for him staying than Mallinder has. I could see Leicester hanging on until the end of the season, but Mallinder should be gone by now.
plum-pudding

Post by plum-pudding »

Dang, seems a tad harsh to me- Leicester are in the top 6 and only just missed out to Sarries.
I think Mauger deserved the chop more than Cockers tbh.
Richards ----> Tigers?
Crivvens

Post by Crivvens »

Seneca of the Night wrote:Who actually runs that club? I thought Mauger was in charge.

Cockerill´s career has mystified me. Is he some sort of mafia guy?

Mauger needs to make a call soon himself. I´ve always thought he was a potential head coach for the ABs. But he will have to get into that system soon or he won´t make it.
Mauger is (or was) head coach, Cockers was DOR and forwards coach.
Crivvens

Post by Crivvens »

plum-pudding wrote:Dang, seems a tad harsh to me- Leicester are in the top 6 and only just missed out to Sarries.
Richards ----> Tigers?
He's probably taken us as far as he could, but he'll always be a club legend, regardless of what anyone thinks of him.

Deano wouldn't come back after how it all ended previously. No siree Bob.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Fingers crossed!
Though Stephen Jones in The Sunday Times yesterday was blowing smoke up his arse......big time
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Ah balls. They'll probably improve now.
BurrowHill

Post by BurrowHill »

Really do think he should have been moved sideways and kept at the club in some form. He is so passionate about the club. Got to keep the tigers philosophy.

I suppose Murphy is still there but for how longer if a new coach arrives? Should we opt for a new coach I would still like it to be someone who knows Tigers - Deano, Pat Howard, Daryl Gibson. Johnno? Back? Healey?
maverickmak

Post by maverickmak »

Both surprised and unsurprised.

I guess we'll see has true worth in hindsight.

Thanks for the service, Cockers. I know he'd die for the club, but he's probably gone as far as he can.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

He's too domineering to move sideways people can't work with him.

Like mallinder he hasn't moved with the times and been left behind.
Backwoodsman1

Post by Backwoodsman1 »

plum-pudding wrote:Dang, seems a tad harsh to me- Leicester are in the top 6 and only just missed out to Sarries.
Richards ----> Tigers?
Wonder if Kay knew something was about to happen ? The BT interviewer phrased a question about Cockers' position in a surprisingly direct way during the pre-game interview ltg.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

BurrowHill wrote:Really do think he should have been moved sideways and kept at the club in some form. He is so passionate about the club. Got to keep the tigers philosophy.

I suppose Murphy is still there but for how longer if a new coach arrives? Should we opt for a new coach I would still like it to be someone who knows Tigers - Deano, Pat Howard, Daryl Gibson. Johnno? Back? Healey?
It's going to be really odd when Cockers takes a gig somewhere else. That's for sure
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Backwoodsman1 wrote:
Richards ----> Tigers?
Wonder if Kay knew something was about to happen ? The BT interviewer phrased a question about Cockers' position in a surprisingly direct way during the pre-game interview ltg.
Isn't Kay a director at Tigers?
plum-pudding

Post by plum-pudding »

Backwoodsman1 wrote:
Richards ----> Tigers?
Was it not the eggchasers lad who interviewed him pre and post-match?
tbh I think Mallinder deserves to be let go more than Cockers
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

dead man walking for most of the season TBF. He was very lucky not to get the boot at least 2 years ago.
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

a dinosaur of a coach, bad for English rugby that he's still around
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Richards ----> Tigers?
Leicester are the biggest club in England and are in the top 6 by virtue of the bottom 7 teams being pretty average this season. He hasn't been sacked because they lost to sarries.
Nabberuk

Post by Nabberuk »

Really disappointed in this. The timing is woeful as we are in 5th and still in Europe. Worst of all they announced they are going to review the setup, surely this should of been done before sacking the dor?
henry

Post by henry »

Shame. Cockers and Leicester truly deserved one another.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Nabberuk wrote:Really disappointed in this. The timing is woeful as we are in 5th and still in Europe. Worst of all they announced they are going to review the setup, surely this should of been done before sacking the dor?
Measure him up for his coffin while still breathing. Not a good idea
globus

Post by globus »

He's got Tigers' colours through him like Blackpool rock. Hard to imagine what he might do next.
croyals

Post by croyals »

Ta ta.

No tears shed over here aside from the fact that he is a proper Tigers man so I'm sure this wont be easy for him. Mallinder goes now and the Prem will be in good shape.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

IMO Leicester have struggled mostly because they seem to be caught between two philosophies. They were much better against Saracens at the weekend because they played a tighter game and we got so see the forwards really put in a shift - and yet it's Cockers that's gone. But as a neutral observer it's looked to me from the outside that it's the Mauger game plan that's often been the cause of their shortcomings. I think the latter is a considerably more interesting and exciting coach but in essence I feel that Cockers has got the boot for doing exactly what it says on the tin. He's pure Leicester.
C69

Post by C69 »

globus wrote:He's got Tigers' colours through him like Blackpool rock. Hard to imagine what he might do next.
It's not hard at all. I suspect he will do a bit of punditry.
BurrowHill

Post by BurrowHill »

Time will now tell whether Mauger was really being undermined by Cockerill, or whether he isn't all he is cracked up to be.

The timing couldn't have been worse with player recruitment in full swing for next season, and players out of contract not knowing what's happening.

I don't believe there is going to be a massive change in fortunes for the club from now on this season, and we will probably be in a situation where a new coach is coming in with no say on new players coming in/retaining current players.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

BurrowHill wrote:Really do think he should have been moved sideways and kept at the club in some form. He is so passionate about the club. Got to keep the tigers philosophy.

the tigers philosophy?
Keith

Post by Keith »

Welcome to England, Mr. Lancaster. Have you been here before?
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

....to fill the Tigers vacancy?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

globus wrote:He's got Tigers' colours through him like Blackpool rock. Hard to imagine what he might do next.
Take a break and get a job