Official 'CANES v SHORKS in the 'NAKI thread.

All things Rugby
slow wing

Re: Official 'CANES v SHORKS in the 'NAKI thread.

Post by slow wing »

Tough break Trog and all the best with getting things sorted... :thumbup:
brat

Post by brat »

slow wing wrote:
brat wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:Great to see the much maligned Canes' fatties getting stuck in. By fudge they soaked up a lot of punishment in the first half. Eaton, May, and Coles can't be far off Shag's radar. Broadhurst very solid, too.
they fought hard, but i thought they were still a bit of a rabble at set piece, and generally disjointed

lucky they have some magic in the backline
Disagree. They are playing to a definite plan and pattern. The lineout was admittedly messy today. Will improve when Vito comes back.
plan / pattern to pass it behind the runner, and generally poor set piece?

thought the backs, and some favourable reffing decisions /luck saved them today, not so sure about the fowards

-the sharks dominated territory / possession from memory
indomite

Post by indomite »

trog, sorry about your news.

Stoked with the win.

Line-out and scrum still pish. We really miss Vito's lineout work.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

slow wing wrote:
brat wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:Great to see the much maligned Canes' fatties getting stuck in. By fudge they soaked up a lot of punishment in the first half. Eaton, May, and Coles can't be far off Shag's radar. Broadhurst very solid, too.
they fought hard, but i thought they were still a bit of a rabble at set piece, and generally disjointed

Disagree. They are playing to a definite plan and pattern. The lineout was admittedly messy today. Will improve when Vito comes back.
This was the first game that they've played with plan and pattern and only really in the 2nd half - but augers well for the future. Was enjoyable game to watch, but felt like watching any Canes team from 2000 on.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

great try from Bateman.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote:This was the first game that they've played with plan and pattern and only really in the 2nd half - but augers well for the future. Was enjoyable game to watch, but felt like watching any Canes team from 2000 on.
You just cannot bring yourself to make a wholly positive comment about a team Mark Hammett coaches, can you?
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

sunnybanana wrote:fudge this. I hope JdP gets a decent ban - useless tosser.

TBF, it was just a gay slap. Though I hate to go all Neanderthal like the average Saffa poster, neither player should get a ban that, when all is said and done, was a bunh of hyped young men throwing a few largely harmless handbags at each other in a controlled environment.

I do wish that the Saffas would lay off the roids though.
slow wing

Post by slow wing »

brat wrote:
slow wing wrote:
brat wrote:

thought the backs, and some favourable reffing decisions /luck saved them today, not so sure about the fowards

Ah well, saved by a 24 point margin then... :roll:
Silver

Post by Silver »

Coles is in great form. But the whole team played well. And having May back made a huge difference but then Moran is not up to this level
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote:
UncleFB wrote:This was the first game that they've played with plan and pattern and only really in the 2nd half - but augers well for the future. Was enjoyable game to watch, but felt like watching any Canes team from 2000 on.
You just cannot bring yourself to make a wholly positive comment about a team Mark Hammett coaches, can you?
Why should I make a wholly positive comments when they didn't play a perfect game? You're coming in your pants about the Canes enough for the both of us anyway.
Rocketz

Post by Rocketz »

Well done canes

Having said that. Its time for Plumtree to go. Such a magnificent stable of players... and such an inept performance
brat

Post by brat »

slow wing wrote:
brat wrote:
slow wing wrote:
brat wrote:

c'mon..

- alot of decisions went their way, and alot went against the sharks, the last try was just a bonus because the sharks had to throw caution to the wind -24 points in that lot right there

lowe was exceptional though, but i didnt think the fowards as a unit were that great

anyway, still a great win for the canes against a more talented side that will probably destroy the blues next week
springtide

Post by springtide »

troglodiet wrote:
poplap wrote:
troglodiet wrote:What a kak week.

On Monday I was told my contract with my new company is being canceled (they are retrenching and last in first out applies).

And then even worse I have to see my team play this kak.

I know it's relatively early season, but it's already getting tough for the Sharks to make the play-offs.
:(( Jammer oor die werk boet

Thanks WP.

Timing might be 100% though - all indications are that my previous company will start up on the 9th of May (expected final court date is the 8th).

If they do start up, not only will I have my old work back, but will receive a year's salary at 30c to the Rand :thumbup:
I'm hoping it will work out for you trog. Even though getting 30c to the Rand must suck, I guess it's better than nothing - especially if you've already written it off. New ownership not Greek I hope (wasn't it going to be Australian?)
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Burie Dinherrec Tum wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Burie Dinherrec Tum wrote:so neither ref saw the ball grounded, yet they award the try anyway, and marshall manages to rationalise it as proper procedure.

:?
As you know that rubbish question does not require the TMO to see the ball grounded. If the TV feed failed and he saw no pictures he would have to tell the ref he may award the TRY
so jackson saw the ball grounded, why did he go upstairs?

Because he wanted to know if there was and, OTHER, reason not to award the try.

Sorry to call you a troll earlier, I didn't realise you were congenitally retarted. I will reserve my comments in future. Fancy allowing Anon to wind you up like a cheap chinese clockwork...
theaxe

Post by theaxe »

UncleFB wrote:
slow wing wrote:
brat wrote:

This was the first game that they've played with plan and pattern and only really in the 2nd half - but augers well for the future. Was enjoyable game to watch, but felt like watching any Canes team from 2000 on
:shock:
theaxe

Post by theaxe »

eugenius wrote:Best Centre in the world bar none ... that one.
Who you, not so long ago, thought should be replaced by Robbie Freuan. :blush:
Wollllla

Post by Wollllla »

theaxe wrote:
Congrats on the improvement of your team bro :thumbup: It must have been tough being a Canes fans the last few years.
SecretAgentMan

Post by SecretAgentMan »

theaxe wrote:
Best Centre in the world bar none ... that one.
Conrad and Ma'a both had to go, iirc. The Frilliams midfield was a non-negotiable package deal.
theaxe

Post by theaxe »

Wollllla wrote:
theaxe wrote:
Congrats on the improvement of your team bro :thumbup: It must have been tough being a Canes fans the last few years.
They were doing pretty well (on the field at least) this time last year. Let's not get ahead of ourselves eh?
slow wing

Post by slow wing »

theaxe wrote:
Yeah, I almost commented that Conrad came close to MoM, but he does that every week. He is always in the right place at the right time and is amazingly constructive. One of the greats.
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

Ali's Choice wrote:So great to this young Hurricanes outfit thriving under a new coach, and a new group of senior players. You can just tell that they are happy, 100% committed and playing for each. I expected an experienced Sharks team to be too strong, but am stoked with this result. Aside from Conrad Smith who will be one of the first players chosen for the ABs, and Victor Vito, which Canes players do other posters think could be emerging as possible ABs for the Irish series?
Andre Taylor must be worth a shot. Perenara and Barrett are still a season or two away, but it would be good to keep an eye on these two, as well as Dane Coles, who has been on fire so far this year.

This team may not get there this year, but what potential!
Sprig

Post by Sprig »

Altazuma wrote:
brat wrote:

I was really impressed with the work toomaga-allen got through. Hits hard in defence. Always putting hsi hand up to take the ball up. Some really good ball skills.

In fact, the entire Canes pack may be shite at set piece but they are all willing to throw the short pass to support runners.

Canes just need to find a decent loosehead. (noting that both may and jafa are tightheads.)
slow wing

Post by slow wing »

Perenara had a fine game today as well. Good to see the young halves playing with such poise and controlling the game... :thumbup:
Freudianslit

Post by Freudianslit »

theaxe wrote:

If Eugenius was an All Black selector, we'd probably resemble Scotland during a not-so-good season.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Just watched the first half. WTF.

Every time the Sharks were within a metre of the Canes line Jackson blew them up. I really don't understand some of those calls. That said. Shocking Sharks defence.
Sards

Post by Sards »

And that second try. I am amused.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Oh dear. The first try second half by the Canes. WTF again.
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

slow wing wrote:Woo hoo!!! :D

Great win and a really enjoyable team to support at the moment.

How about this for a theory: they don't get good possession or territory stats because they score tries so quickly when they do get possession, thus turning the ball over to the opposition... :P

(Only half joking there.)

Andre Taylor my MoM for his first half effort. They gave it to Carl Lowe for his work rate, which is fair enough as well. Who isn't playing well for them though? Jason Eaton is fizzing this year and Broadhurst is getting stuck in as well. The front row are trying, the loosies too. And the backline defend* and have threats all the way through. Tim Bateman the least talked about but how good was that try of his?! :thumbup:

*Beauden Barrett tried to tackle too high once - but did you see him keep chasing in the final minute to grab the forwards' leg and tip him over? So 'A' for effort, 'B' for results.

Edit: corrected who they named MoM.
Not such a dumb idea, it certainly happened with the ABs a few years ago. Opposition could hold onto the ball for long periods but not quite good enough to score.
ABs were able to score quite quickly when they got the ball.
slow wing

Post by slow wing »

Good point, Merlin. The ABs had that trait then that the 'Canes have now.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

brat wrote:
slow wing wrote:
brat wrote:
slow wing wrote:
brat wrote:

c'mon..

- alot of decisions went their way, and alot went against the sharks, the last try was just a bonus because the sharks had to throw caution to the wind -24 points in that lot right there

lowe was exceptional though, but i didnt think the fowards as a unit were that great

anyway, still a great win for the canes against a more talented side that will probably destroy the blues next week

Sorry your picks didn't go as expected, Brat. :roll:
slow wing

Post by slow wing »

Ted. wrote:
slow wing wrote:This should be an exciting game and a win for the 'Canes would put them right back in the title hunt. Sure they tripped up last week - and all credit to the Cheetahs as well - but news of their demise has been overstated. Shorks are slightly ahead of them on the table and would be passed if the 'Canes can win. It's mainly a question of whether the 'Canes forwards can come close to parity, both in this game and over the rest of the season.

That's a pretty big question, and ask to be fair, Slowy. :lol:
The 'Canes forwards did it, Ted. The Shorks played the typical SA pattern of a booming boot for territory and then the forwards drive, drive, drive up the middle and say "stop us if you can". The 'Canes forwards put their bodies on the line and did stop them. It was quite willing stuff. We will remember the tries but first the 'Canes forwards had to diffuse the Shork attack. All credit to them... :thumbup:
Toddyno7

Post by Toddyno7 »

Awesome win by the Canes. Sure there was a bit of "hometown" reffing but not 24 points worth.

Been a good season so far for the canes. Definitely better than the last 2 years.

Canes scramble so well on defence. Missed tackles all over the show but there always seems to be a player backing up to fix the mistake. They must be one of the fittest teams in the competition.
Dan54

Post by Dan54 »

From what I have seen of canes this year, I am pleased how well Eaton is going, and in backline obviously Conrad is settling those young fellas so bloody well, but I also think Bateman is adding a lot to backline in keeping it solid.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

slow wing wrote:
Ted. wrote:
slow wing wrote:This should be an exciting game and a win for the 'Canes would put them right back in the title hunt. Sure they tripped up last week - and all credit to the Cheetahs as well - but news of their demise has been overstated. Shorks are slightly ahead of them on the table and would be passed if the 'Canes can win. It's mainly a question of whether the 'Canes forwards can come close to parity, both in this game and over the rest of the season.

That's a pretty big question, and ask to be fair, Slowy. :lol:
The 'Canes forwards did it, Ted. The Shorks played the typical SA pattern of a booming boot for territory and then the forwards drive, drive, drive up the middle and say "stop us if you can". The 'Canes forwards put their bodies on the line and did stop them. It was quite willing stuff. We will remember the tries but first the 'Canes forwards had to diffuse the Shork attack. All credit to them... :thumbup:

I think your, slightly tongue in cheek, remark about the Canes playing the 'break through us if you can but you better not lose the pill because ...' is closer to the truth Slowy. I'm not sure if it's intentional though, more a matter of having to defend like the devil because they can't get their hand on the ball. Mind you, as you have pointed out, that defence was pretty bloody good last night, especially in the second half when the got their bodies lower.

In the first half, I think the possession and territory advantage the Sharks enjoyed was more a matter of the Sharks being able to hold on to the ball for long periods, rather than any out and out superiority at set piece. The Canes were defending ok, especially the forwards, but across the park were not putting the pressure on in the tackle and at the break down, their propensity (as per last week) to go high meant they were more in the order of a speed bump than a wall.

Nice to see they adjusted in the second, went lower and drove better in to the tackles with the backup tackler making a bigger impact. By denying that bit of extra continuity of possession the Sharks needed to implement their plan, of kick and grind as you pointed out, the Canes managed to start exerting their own pressure.

Nice to see Broadhurst and Eaton working so well in that tackle and ruck/maul area. Typical of that prick Thrush to come on late, spill a few balls, give away a penalty or two and burgle a try off the good work of others. :x Nods to Dutchie.
SecretAgentMan

Post by SecretAgentMan »

Ted. wrote:Typical of that prick Thrush to come on late, spill a few balls, give away a penalty or two and burgle a try off the good work of others.
:lol:

I get the feeling you're not exactly his biggest fan, Ted.
theaxe

Post by theaxe »

SecretAgentMan wrote:
Ted. wrote:Typical of that prick Thrush to come on late, spill a few balls, give away a penalty or two and burgle a try off the good work of others.
:lol:

I get the feeling you're not exactly his biggest fan, Ted.
Now that Schwalger has gone Thrush attracts his wrath SAM.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

8)

BTW, In the lead up to Taylor's try, did anyone notice that filthy prick Du Plessis shoulder charge a prone Conrad Smith on the deck? The ref put his arm out signalling a penalty advantage, but nothing came of it. They seemed to be pretty hyped up - someone should test their water. :uhoh:
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Good to see the Hurricanes scoring tries again. The set pieces are still flaky, but some individuals are starting to punch above their weight.

To be fair to Sharks fans, the Canes did get the rub of the green with the ref. Saying that, I think luck evens out over the course of the season.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Tehui wrote:Good to see the Hurricanes scoring tries again. The set pieces are still flaky, but some individuals are starting to punch above their weight.

To be fair to Sharks fans, the Canes did get the rub of the green with the ref. Saying that, I think luck evens out over the course of the season.
After watchiong the entiore match and deleting it in disgust,the Sharks have a lot to be aggrieved about re that reffing performance. But they were woefull on defence. And for that deserve the loss. The ref? So dissapointing. Was hoping he would be one of the good ones.