Americas Cup - OFFICIAL match thread

All things Rugby
terryfinch

Re: Americas Cup - OFFICIAL match thread

Post by terryfinch »

Snooze wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:00 pm
terryfinch wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:44 pm
terangi48 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:20 pm Wouldn't count out the Brits against the Kiwis......Rita has amazing stability, and the ability of Ainslie to sail in this kind of tidal course is so similar to the Solent.....however it's too close to call with certainty Ainslie v Burling and will come down to tacticians on the day.
See that ETNZ nearly capsized again. Looking a bit unstable?
Any vid? Couldn't see anything on Stuff or NZH.

Wonder if the new foils are a bit small?
https://youtu.be/Sd6834IijhU
Snooze

Post by Snooze »

terryfinch wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:53 pm
terangi48 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:20 pm Wouldn't count out the Brits against the Kiwis......Rita has amazing stability, and the ability of Ainslie to sail in this kind of tidal course is so similar to the Solent.....however it's too close to call with certainty Ainslie v Burling and will come down to tacticians on the day.

Cheers. They were unstable right from the get go. Crabbing along and twitchy. But, damn it happens fast.

On a different note, sad to see the breakwater in front of the Okahu Boat club in a sad state. And, they've taken a way the Dolphin buoy? WTF. Every sailor has to take paint off his boat on that fukker. Right of passage. :lol:
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Just saw reports that Ineos are possibly using fluid ducting towards leading edge of their foils to reduce drag, based on F1 technology. Massively reduces drag after foiling achieved. They do look very quick.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

terryfinch wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:07 pm Just saw reports that Ineos are possibly using fluid ducting towards leading edge of their foils to reduce drag, based on F1 technology. Massively reduces drag after foiling achieved. They do look very quick.
The sailing equivalent of a blown flap? That's would be pretty interesting.

Any more details?
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

American Magic looking very hard to sail. Destroyed 2-0 by Italians who looked smooth.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

dinsdale wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:44 pm
terryfinch wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:07 pm Just saw reports that Ineos are possibly using fluid ducting towards leading edge of their foils to reduce drag, based on F1 technology. Massively reduces drag after foiling achieved. They do look very quick.
The sailing equivalent of a blown flap? That's would be pretty interesting.

Any more details?
It was chat on a nerd forum - based on the rows of holes, water draining out when foil lifted and the foil shape. Nothing official.
badmannotinjapan

Post by badmannotinjapan »

Snooze wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:20 pm

Cheers. They were unstable right from the get go. Crabbing along and twitchy. But, damn it happens fast.

On a different note, sad to see the breakwater in front of the Okahu Boat club in a sad state. And, they've taken a way the Dolphin buoy? WTF. Every sailor has to take paint off his boat on that fukker. Right of passage. :lol:
How were they unstable? It was gusty as F in that video then they got smacked with huge puff which they negated and carried on.
Snooze

Post by Snooze »

badmannotinjapan wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:28 am

How were they unstable? It was gusty as F in that video then they got smacked with huge puff which they negated and carried on.
Sorry badman, not around on weekends. When the boat is going 30kts they are normally on rails. During that short clip he's twitchy which means PB is having to make constant adjustments which I hadn't seen before from TNZ - and yes, he does it seamlessly. As there's no sound, so the 'gusty as F' is not a given. Big wind band at the time of the the big move (20s in) for sure, but hard to tell how 'gusty' it really is.

And just to be clear, not a dig at them, just hadn't seen them like that in any other videos I had seen or the Christmas regatta.

Also, I'm not sure I'm a fan of "pick your boards before regatta starts". Very costly if you get it wrong.
Snooze

Post by Snooze »

And to add, I was only talking about the first 30 secs of vid. Rest looked good.
badmannotinjapan

Snooze wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:41 pm
badmannotinjapan wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:28 am

Sorry badman, not around on weekends. When the boat is going 30kts they are normally on rails. During that short clip he's twitchy which means PB is having to make constant adjustments which I hadn't seen before from TNZ - and yes, he does it seamlessly. As there's no sound, so the 'gusty as F' is not a given. Big wind band at the time of the the big move (20s in) for sure, but hard to tell how 'gusty' it really is.

And just to be clear, not a dig at them, just hadn't seen them like that in any other videos I had seen or the Christmas regatta.

Also, I'm not sure I'm a fan of "pick your boards before regatta starts". Very costly if you get it wrong.
That's a gusty day. There's puffs all over the place. Where there is an increase/decrease in pressure on these boats its going to be amplified.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

never saw that and have no idea what it is.

GO GB STUFF THEM KIWIS
Snooze

Post by Snooze »

badmannotinjapan wrote:

That's a gusty day. There's puffs all over the place. Where there is an increase/decrease in pressure on these boats its going to be amplified.
Not gonna argue whether it was or wasn't. Fact is, at 30 knots that boat should track better. I have been 20 knots in a cat on one hull (on those same waters :D ) and I sure as shit know any small rudder movements are not wanted.

They're still testing the smaller foils, and I suspect there will be more whoopsies. Part of it, and I certainly think they are still the form team no matter what 'bluster' comes from the other camps. Coz of Covid I am not able to get home to see it this time, so they sure as shit better retain it so I can watch in 2025.
badmannotinjapan

Snooze wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:48 am
badmannotinjapan wrote:

Not gonna argue whether it was or wasn't. Fact is, at 30 knots that boat should track better. I have been 20 knots in a cat on one hull (on those same waters :D ) and I sure as shit know any small rudder movements are not wanted.

They're still testing the smaller foils, and I suspect there will be more whoopsies. Part of it, and I certainly think they are still the form team no matter what 'bluster' comes from the other camps. Coz of Covid I am not able to get home to see it this time, so they sure as shit better retain it so I can watch in 2025.
A cat on one hull is an entirely different beast to an Ac75 with nothing but a couple of feet of foil in the water. When the wind is blustery the boat is going to be a little more difficult to manage. The only woopsie they had was during a significant gust when PB spun the bow into the wind to stop TR from flying out of the harbour.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Snooze wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:48 am
badmannotinjapan wrote:

yeah lots of cavitating when that happens. end up having to splice the yard arm
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:34 am
never saw that and have no idea what it is.

GO GB STUFF THEM KIWIS
Gotta see off the Italians yet.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

British meeja bigging up Sir Ben for the last couple of weeks. "By far the best skipper in the world".

Today, Jimmy: "Hold my beer".

2 - 0 to Prada.

Will they ever learn?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Not just the best skipper, but the best sailing team in the world. Still, not over yet and I really like both of these skippers.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Luna Rossa looked very smooth today. Seem to have slight speed advantage upwind and made no mistakes.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

It has been many many years since I saw an America’s Cup race. Turned on the telly and saw this mornings race. Christ almighty those boats have changed from my day. I remember when a winged keel was controversial.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

ScarfaceClaw wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:45 am It has been many many years since I saw an America’s Cup race. Turned on the telly and saw this mornings race. Christ almighty those boats have changed from my day. I remember when a winged keel was controversial.
Yep, it's sailing Jim, but not as we know it.

Pretty decent wins by LR today.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Magpie26 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:57 pm
ScarfaceClaw wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:45 am It has been many many years since I saw an America’s Cup race. Turned on the telly and saw this mornings race. Christ almighty those boats have changed from my day. I remember when a winged keel was controversial.
Yep, it's sailing Jim, but not as we know it.

Pretty decent wins by LR today.
Ineos absolutely done for pace. It won't be a contest unless they can find a way to squeeze an extra couple of knots upwind.
booze

Post by booze »

watch an americas cup race from 10, 20 years ago on youtube. my god, its like watching snails race!
booze

Post by booze »

terryfinch wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:13 am Luna Rossa looked very smooth today. Seem to have slight speed advantage upwind and made no mistakes.
I think ETNZ have a pretty hard job on their hands, seeing how these teams have improved, and considering ETNZ have only had 6 competitive races in this Americas cup.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

booze wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:51 pm
terryfinch wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:13 am Luna Rossa looked very smooth today. Seem to have slight speed advantage upwind and made no mistakes.
I think ETNZ have a pretty hard job on their hands, seeing how these teams have improved, and considering ETNZ have only had 6 competitive races in this Americas cup.
ETNZ are well ahead with the development of their boat and are sailing beautifully given the footage I have seen. These teams all race each other in practice so there's not all that many unknowns despite what they say for dramatic effect in commentary. LR will make a good fist of it but I cannot see them winning the AC.
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Well the first round of the Prada Cup has blown all my theories out of the water!!!!

I think I'll stick to opinions like whether my lawns need mowing or not.........

Stiil love seeing the boats racing though.....and will carry on doing so with a more open mind!
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Plenty of wind between Waiheke and the mainland today. Wouldn’t surprise if one of these boats breaks this afternoon.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Ainsle is having a shocker. Good sailing from LR - they are flawless front runners.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Come on Ineos. I thought Sir Ben Ainslie was supposed to be the greatest match racing sailor in the world? Watching them play follow the leader behind the Jimmy Spithill lead Luna Rossa is getting very dull.

Ainslie needs to at least win a start to have any chance but he is getting owned in the start box by Spithill so far.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

You notice how smooth the maneuvers are now from the start of the series. Prada especially used to see-saw on every turn, now they are seemingly effortless. If you're hoping for a mistake from them you could be waiting a long time. 3-0 now. Team UK wants the next win. 4-0 with even boats will be a long road back.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

The Brits look very clunky in the pre-starts .
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

booji boy wrote:Ainslie needs to at least win a start to have any chance but he is getting owned in the start box by Spithill so far.
It's worse than that as the errors are self inflicted. They came off the foils in the first race, they got their start box geometry wrong in the second and were too aggressive and greedy in the third. With a slower boat it's just a procession so far.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

The wind has dropped a few knots.. advantage LR in this forth race. :|
Another big mistake and Ineos fall off the foils.. ugh. Muck.
Twenty minutes chasing LR up and down. Glad I stayed up.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Disappointing from a spectator point of view. I was really hoping for some thrilling, competitive match racing but LR are dominant and there seems little Ineos can do about it.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

I wouldn't say dominant in the sense that one boat is so good they're just sailing away with it. Rather LR has been flawless and Team UK hasn't. LR has earned their wins on the water, not simply in the boatshed. I'm sure Ben will pull a few back yet.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

mr bungle wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:55 am Not just the best skipper, but the best sailing team in the world. Still, not over yet and I really like both of these skippers.
4 - 0.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Flockwitt wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:59 am I wouldn't say dominant in the sense that one boat is so good they're just sailing away with it. Rather LR has been flawless and Team UK hasn't. LR has earned their wins on the water, not simply in the boatshed. I'm sure Ben will pull a few back yet.
I dunno, winning every start and leading around every mark in all four races to date seems fairly dominant to this casual observer.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

obelixtim wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:27 am
mr bungle wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:55 am Not just the best skipper, but the best sailing team in the world. Still, not over yet and I really like both of these skippers.
4 - 0.
I was alluding to their press.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

mr bungle wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:48 am
obelixtim wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:27 am
4 - 0.
I was alluding to their press.
So was I. They have an uncanny tendency to big up their chances, which is usually the kiss of death to their teams.

They will be hooking into Ainslie big time if he loses 0 - 7.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

I know. My post directly followed yours.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Very disappointing. :(

Hard to see them turning it around now. Maybe the extra few days off will give them a chance to work on a few things and find an extra gear.