Anyone been to Dubrovnik?

All things Rugby
Chuckles1188

Anyone been to Dubrovnik?

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Thinking about a long weekend there in early June, anybody got any recommendations about where to stay, eat, what to visit, what to avoid?
Chuckles1188

Re: Anyone been to Dubrovnik?

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:Thinking about a long weekend there in early June, anybody got any recommendations about where to stay, eat, what to visit, what to avoid?
Loop in a trip to Kotor in Montenegro too. It's only an hour south.
Noted :thumbup:
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Yes. Beautiful city.

Use one day for walking along the wall, chilling out eating and drinking.
2nd day either go on a day trip to Mostar in Bosnia or go to Montenegro to see bay of Kotor and Cetenje before finishing via Budva and back to Dubrovnik.

There is a nice island trip as well. Kolocep, Lopud and Sipan are a nice day trip with a nice lunch included.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

iarmhiman wrote:Yes. Beautiful city.

Use one day for walking along the wall, chilling out eating and drinking.
2nd day either go on a day trip to Mostar in Bosnia or go to Montenegro to see bay of Kotor and Cetenje before finishing via Budva and back to Dubrovnik.

There is a nice island trip as well. Kolocep, Lopud and Sipan are a nice day trip with a nice lunch included.
Sounds exactly like what I'm after :thumbup:
globus

Post by globus »

Sailed there with a flotilla (we chartered). It has a lovely marina. You'll love it.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Go hunting with Robert Baratheon, visit one of Tyrion's fine whore houses and keep out of sight of Joffrey's bow...

In all seriousness, it's beautiful and if you like seafood - try Lacroma restaurant, or Dalmatino.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

gets lots of good reviews

Is it still relatively cheap, with the pound tanking against the €uro?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Currency advise Chuckles;

Croatia: They use the Kuna which is about 8.5 to the pound
Montenegro: Even though they're not in the Eurozone, they use the Euro. Cheap
Bosnia: Convertible Mark. Although they accept Euro as well. 2.2 Marks to the pound.

In Mostar try Baklava and Turkish coffee.
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

It's a beautiful city chuckles, well recommended. There's a wall in one of the squares where it slowly dawns on you, as you have your beer in the sunshine, that all the bullet holes are below head height...

Fit in a trip up to Split if you can. Two world heritage sites in one weekend, and it's not often you get to go to the house of one of Europe's ultimate badasses
Teenage_hooker

Post by Teenage_hooker »

Beautiful city, would go back in a heartbeat. Stay in the old city, it's worth it. You can slip out through a hole in the city walls to swim, it's amazing.

We went to an island called Mjlet which is about an hour offshore by boat. It's pretty cool, it's got a church in they middle of a freshwater lake. If you're there for a few days I recommend a day trip there
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Prices vary wildly in restaurants I found depending on how close they are to the main tourist thoroughfare, just go in a bit and it's much cheaper.

Lovely city, well worth it.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Take plenty of sun cream, you pasty plumb, because June will be over 30C.
Inch high hogs eye

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

iarmhiman wrote:Currency advise Chuckles;

Croatia: They use the Kuna which is about 8.5 to the pound
Montenegro: Even though they're not in the Eurozone, they use the Euro. Cheap
Bosnia: Convertible Mark. Although they accept Euro as well. 2.2 Marks to the pound.

In Mostar try Baklava and Turkish coffee.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.indepe ... ent=safari
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

It's absolutely gorgeous.

I didn't find it particularly cheap and what I sampled of the night-life was fairly under-whelming but I'd definitely go back.
apurelegend

Post by apurelegend »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:Thinking about a long weekend there in early June, anybody got any recommendations about where to stay, eat, what to visit, what to avoid?
Loop in a trip to Kotor in Montenegro too. It's only an hour south.

I stayed in La Boheme. Found it lovely and you have a beautiful quiet pool area to sit out. It's about 2 mins walk to the old town. Dubrovnik is gold.

I spent 3 nights in Kotor. A really good place and cheap as chips! If you can go to Kotor via boat do. The car journey took a while as roads are slow and the border is quite slow also. Still under 2 hours all in. Tip for Dubrovnik, the nicer beaches are probably a little bit outside the old town. Still though, it's lovely to jump in anywhere you can by the old town.

Be careful not to try and squeeze too much in as there's so much to do as regards day trips. The speed limits are quite low and the roads in Montenegro and particularly Bosnia aren't great so a short distance might still be a long trip. Driving in Bosnia is like driving on a bad country roads in Ireland. Impossible to make any time.
Last edited by apurelegend on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

I was there in June. It's one of the most beautiful cities I've ever had the good fortune to visit.

Obviously walk the wall and do the gondola up the hill. Amazing view of the old city.

From the wall on the seaward side you'll see a pub outside the walls down on the rocks. It's a mission to find the door through the wall but well worth it to sit right by the sea the rocks with a cold beer and feet in the water looking at all the yachts etc... Also get an orange juice from the wall. Dunno if it was just the vendor but it was the best juice I've ever tasted.

Avoid anything game of thrones related like the plague. Some friends of ours did a tour and it was like "this is the scene where x happened but most of the scenery was done by CGI" while standing in an empty courtyard. GOT is absolutely everywhere and gets pretty annoying after a while.

Seafood is amazing, although I'd recommend eating outside of the old city or wandering out towards the wall or you'll pay through the nose. If you eat outside you can walk over the hill to where the marina is. Much cheaper and still pplenty of restaurants. Explore the cliffs on the way.

I thought Mostar was bit sh*t to be honest. The bridge is awesome but that's about it really. Much better to over to Montenegro or if you have time I'd highly recommend Sarajevo which is only a few hours away by car.

Here's a couple of pics of the pub and the view from the hill:
Spoiler: show

Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Good stuff lads, knew the bored would come through :thumbup:
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

I'm heading back to the UK and Northern Italy this year - is this doable as a weekend hop?
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:I'm heading back to the UK and Northern Italy this year - is this doable as a weekend hop?
Better off to give yourself more than a few days to do the recommended day trips which are worth it and to relax.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:I'm heading back to the UK and Northern Italy this year - is this doable as a weekend hop?
Better off to give yourself more than a few days to do the recommended day trips which are worth it and to relax.
UK for a week, Italy and here for 2-3 weeks
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Great timing chuckles, i'm taking the family there for 10 days in June. Keep the ideas coming please lads.
_fatprop

Post by _fatprop »

Dubrovnik is a lovely place, try to stay within the walls of the old city for the full experience
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

We managed to get a house to ourselves outside the walls but only five minutes up the road (uphill), so with a view over the old town. We'd thought we'd booked a hostel so it was a great surprise. The owner picked us up from the airport and told us stories about being a former policeman and still having shrapnel in his head from the siege.

If you get a chance, Mostar is worth a day trip.
Miester

Post by Miester »

the city was a load nicer in 1990 before the war and bullet holes everywhere!
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

There for a week at the end of April, will try to remember to report back.
Razor

Post by Razor »

arrogant unhelpful people....great castle....average food...3 outa 10
troglodiet

Post by troglodiet »

Seeing that a) I had to look up the town to find out where the hell it is, and 2) I've never been outside the borders of SA, I can safely assume I've never been there.

Hope this helps :P
troglodiet

Post by troglodiet »

Hawk97 wrote:Take plenty of sun cream, you pasty plumb, because June will be over 30C.

Generally referred to by the Aussies in the Outback as "Early Spring".
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Razor wrote:arrogant unhelpful people....great castle....average food...3 outa 10
Really ?........I have never experienced that in any part of Croatia, always found them very nice.

Chuckles take a trip about 15 Kms outside the city to a resort called Cavtat...... very nice for an evening out. You can get a water taxi from the old town, takes about 45 minutes.
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

Razor wrote:arrogant unhelpful people....great castle....average food...3 outa 10
I found them really friendly. Food perhaps lacking. Scenery stunning (ahem), and architecture not too bad too.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

They didn't like this dickhead.

That's about as ringing an endorsement as you can get.
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

RuggaBugga wrote:
They didn't like this dickhead.

That's about as ringing an endorsement as you can get.
Chill. Rugby is starting soon.
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

The Sun God wrote:
Really ?........I have never experienced that in any part of Croatia, always found them very nice.

Chuckles take a trip about 15 Kms outside the city to a resort called Cavtat...... very nice for an evening out. You can get a water taxi from the old town, takes about 45 minutes.
They're incredibly hospitable. When we went, my two mates decided to go skinny dipping at two in the morning, whilst I protected (slept on) our possessions nearby. A group of local lads saw them and were concerned. We gathered up our stuff and walked back to our digs, only to be confronted by said locals, who then presented the "The Three Musketeers", as we now evidently known, with some uncompromising Balkan art pamphlets that would help cure us...

Mind you, the night after I narrowly avoided getting the shit kicked out of me by some Croatian reservists who were unimpressed that I'd not shown due deference to "Big Yuri", so it's swings and roundabouts.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Went in July last year. Do the wall walk early in the morning, as otherwise it's full of Japanese tourists dieing of heat stroke.

Wandering around is fun. It's the sort of place you enjoy getting lost, very much unlike Split.

A couple of days is plenty. With more time, go to Mljet or Korcula etc.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Globus has a villa there

Built it himself

Designed by Alfredo Gordi , who liked his Chablis (1977 iirc)

Beat him at backgammon and won a Pony

Lemons !
Openside

Post by Openside »

Went in 1982 it was lovely, stunning place. No idea how affected by the war it was.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Beautiful city being ruined by loads of cruise liners moored nearby spewing out thousands of fat tourists who don't contribute much to the economy (food and accommodation provided onboard).
18ChinsOfChinatown

Post by 18ChinsOfChinatown »

Dubrovnik is a great city. The islands of Hvar and Brac (the town of Bol specifically) are also well worth a visit if you have the time.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Just back after a week. Fabulous city but as others have said a bit of a tourist trap. It's busy enough as it is but on 3 of the days we were there, 3 cruise liners docked each day and discharged 10000 fuckwits into the city.

We stayed in the Lapad area and the hotel gave us a link to the port authority website so we could avoid the old town on these days.

Great people though and some excellent trips. Did an off road buggy tour up the mountains that visits the old fortifications from the 1991 seige, and also did the 3 Island tour. This is a bit hit and miss as there are dozens of options but we used Zatan Watersports and they were excellent.

Excellent local beer and wine.

Avoid anything GoT and also avoid eating in Restaurant alley.
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

Great spot - get there before it is destroyed as it is amazing but like Venice, it will simply get overloaded with tourist tours.

Visiting outside of July/Aug is preferential.

The water is crystal blue from the sky above and the myriad of islands are generally unspoiled but surrounded by ... beaches.

Dubrovnik is great for 2-3 days max - its a medieval city of 40,000 (used for filming scenes from GoT Kings Landing and Qarth) with a huge transient tourist population - it can go from easy to jammed in a few days.

Do I recommend it ? Absolutely for a weekend and for much longer if you explore the wider Croatia/Bosnia/Montenegro/Albania hinterland. The Dalmatia archipelago is stunning and still relatively unexplored relative to other Mediterranean areas.

And for dossing about on a boat on the islands, magical !!
Last edited by Botha Boy on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.