Pacific Island getaway recommendations

All things Rugby
kovana

Re: Pacific Island getaway recommendations

Post by kovana »

jdogscoop wrote:
kovana wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:<smug> Bumping this thread as have just booked 9 days in Samoa in June. 5 days on Savaii and 4 on Upolu. </smug>
If thats true JC, let me know the time of your arrival so i can make sure to beat the fcuk out of you when i see you please.

But trues up, im up for a mini-cabal. Im back in Samoa again full time.
:lol: A genuine island experience! You can't beat that, JCG (excuse the pun). Be sure to post pics!
Hmmm.. Seems JCC is gonna try and avoid me...
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Nothing personal bro.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

kovana wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
kovana wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:<smug> Bumping this thread as have just booked 9 days in Samoa in June. 5 days on Savaii and 4 on Upolu. </smug>
If thats true JC, let me know the time of your arrival so i can make sure to beat the fcuk out of you when i see you please.

But trues up, im up for a mini-cabal. Im back in Samoa again full time.
:lol: A genuine island experience! You can't beat that, JCG (excuse the pun). Be sure to post pics!
He's right. It's nothing personal. He avoids everyone. I mean, look, I would have avoided you at the cricket if I could but...
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

:lol:

I am going to book the family at Saletoga Sands Resort next time I am in Samoa. Resort without the crowds and close enough to all the south-eastern swimming spots.
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

Went to Aitutaki for my honeymoon last year, stayed in an over water bungalow on the Lagoon. If your idea of a holiday is rest and soak up the sun, a few cocktails and some pretty good meals, Aitutaki is not bad.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

capt hurricane wrote:Went to Aitutaki for my honeymoon last year, stayed in an over water bungalow on the Lagoon. If your idea of a holiday is rest and soak up the sun, a few cocktails and some pretty good meals, Aitutaki is not bad.
Went there on my honeymoon. Was very nice....for a day....then a category 3 Tropical Storm swept through.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Booked a week in Noumea for a conference in October. Travelling solo as we'll have a second child at 2 months of age by then. Fair to say I have a very understanding wife.
grievous

Post by grievous »

capt hurricane wrote:Went to Aitutaki for my honeymoon last year, stayed in an over water bungalow on the Lagoon. If your idea of a holiday is rest and soak up the sun, a few cocktails and some pretty good meals, Aitutaki is not bad.
Flew there last year, beautiful place.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

mr bungle wrote:Booked a week in Noumea for a conference in October. Travelling solo as we'll have a second child at 2 months of age by then. Fair to say I have a very understanding wife.
Going next month. Wil update on good drinking/eating spots.

That's your second child right? Congrats.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

RuggaBugga wrote:
mr bungle wrote:Booked a week in Noumea for a conference in October. Travelling solo as we'll have a second child at 2 months of age by then. Fair to say I have a very understanding wife.
Going next month. Wil update on good drinking/eating spots.

That's your second child right? Congrats.
Certainly is, and thanks :thumbup:

Very keen to hear your feedback. I've given up on a planned jet ski/wine tour/city tour type activities to have some free time to myself. So keen to see the best of it.
gokwe

Post by gokwe »

A tad drifty but.

I have a long standing open invite to Fiji, from a former colleague when in a privatised military environment we went to hell and back together and partied to make the memories go away.

He is now a Pastor. With his own church apparently.

My guess is that I should politely decline and bring the Missus somewhere else...

Opinions welcome.
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

gokwe wrote:A tad drifty but.

I have a long standing open invite to Fiji, from a former colleague when in a privatised military environment we went to hell and back together and partied to make the memories go away.

He is now a Pastor. With his own church apparently.

My guess is that I should politely decline and bring the Missus somewhere else...

Opinions welcome.
Decline that shit bruh. Fiji Christians fcuking crazy.
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Went there on my honeymoon. Was very nice....for a day....then a category 3 Tropical Storm swept through.
Certainly would have made it memorable!
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

Stayed in one of these, just paradise. Highly recommended.
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

Make sure you get to the other side of the island for the sunsets... I took this on our last night.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

capt hurricane wrote:Image

In the "surprise the GF" File :thumbup:
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
capt hurricane wrote:Image

In the "surprise the GF" File :thumbup:
This was the view from our bungalow.
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

The champagne breakfast....
Davedj77

Post by Davedj77 »

Heading to Denarau, Fiji next weekend for a week, staying at the Wyndham Resort with family (including our 2 year old).
Just looking for any advice on things to do in the area, places to eat. Any must do activities? Is it worth hiring a car and driving around the island? Can that be done in a day?
Also, will I be able to watch the ABs vs Scotland on Sunday morning?
grievous

Post by grievous »

I know Fiji well and was staying at the Sheraton Villas earlier in the year which is in Denarau too. So you need to remember you are flying into the second largest city in Fiji but not staying in it, you are 20minutes out in a fabricated man made "island" of resorts which has a port that ferries trips out to the smaller islands. Your hotel will have plenty to do for a young family, go into Port Denarau for restaurants (Hard Rock Café and other food themes) and day tours such as Castaway island etc, fishing trips or other watersports. On the way they have a golf club/course and a waterpark(pricey) and other than some shops and going to other resorts for a change of scene for eating, pool etc that's Denarau, many people think they have "done" Fiji but its made for tourists. A warning that if you are going for white sandy beaches this will disappoint, you have to get off the main island of Viti Levu it is mostly bracken man made beaches from the natural mud flats, refer to my islands via day trips or staying for a night or more all 2-3 hours by boat.
Going around the island will take you 10 hours plus so unless you want to drive to Suva you just get a bus into Nadi central or Namaka which has markets or restaurants.
Otherwise do day trips up the coast which your hotel can arrange. Try and catch a rugby match in Nadi, usually something on.
grievous

Post by grievous »

About to book a trip to Nuie, anyone been?
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

grievous wrote:About to book a trip to Nuie, anyone been?
My parents went there a few years back. Said it's very quiet, verging on boring in terms of 'activities' but if you're just looking to sit on a beach and relax it's great.
kovana

Post by kovana »

grievous wrote:About to book a trip to Nuie, anyone been?
Its NIUE.

Named after a coconut.

No literally.. Niu means coconut. the 'e' at the end is like an exclamation. Niu E...
Davedj77

Post by Davedj77 »

grievous wrote:I know Fiji well and was staying at the Sheraton Villas earlier in the year which is in Denarau too. So you need to remember you are flying into the second largest city in Fiji but not staying in it, you are 20minutes out in a fabricated man made "island" of resorts which has a port that ferries trips out to the smaller islands. Your hotel will have plenty to do for a young family, go into Port Denarau for restaurants (Hard Rock Café and other food themes) and day tours such as Castaway island etc, fishing trips or other watersports. On the way they have a golf club/course and a waterpark(pricey) and other than some shops and going to other resorts for a change of scene for eating, pool etc that's Denarau, many people think they have "done" Fiji but its made for tourists. A warning that if you are going for white sandy beaches this will disappoint, you have to get off the main island of Viti Levu it is mostly bracken man made beaches from the natural mud flats, refer to my islands via day trips or staying for a night or more all 2-3 hours by boat.
Going around the island will take you 10 hours plus so unless you want to drive to Suva you just get a bus into Nadi central or Namaka which has markets or restaurants.
Otherwise do day trips up the coast which your hotel can arrange. Try and catch a rugby match in Nadi, usually something on.
Thanks for reply. To be honest I'll be happy to do a fishing trip and maybe a day trip to the islands and spend the rest of the time chilling.
knack

Post by knack »

If your a diver, take a flight from Cairns to Rabaul Airport, also called Tokua Airport, Kokopo or Rapopo resorts are amazing, just mind blowing. Do not travel via Port Moresby, its a shithole. Or a more difficult to travel to but truly a once in a lifetime adventure, Chuuk State in Micronesia, cant recommend enough.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
kovana wrote:
He's right. It's nothing personal. He avoids everyone. I mean, look, I would have avoided you at the cricket if I could but...
:lol: :lol:
Tehuringa

Post by Tehuringa »

Davedj77 wrote:Heading to Denarau, Fiji next weekend for a week, staying at the Wyndham Resort with family (including our 2 year old).
Just looking for any advice on things to do in the area, places to eat. Any must do activities? Is it worth hiring a car and driving around the island? Can that be done in a day?
Activities wise, Denerau is ... funnily enough, as you would expect resorty. Worth heading out to some Islands for a day trip on a boat. Nadi isn't exactly the most exciting city .... a lunchtime curry at Tata's is pretty epic. It's a pretty rough looking joint just near the Hindu temple in Nadi but the food is fantastic and if you are looking around Nadi for a day it should be on your list. Tu's place, owned by a Kiwi bloke and his Fijian wife, is good for kokoda but isn't exactly upmarket... good food and company though.

Garden of the Sleeping Giant just to the north of Nadi is worth a look if you are getting a car. The beaches around Nadi aren't much chop, Wailoaloa probably the best but you're better heading out to the Yasawa's.

Rugby shouldn't be a problem in your hotel.... you've just missed the Oceania 7s in Suva and its a shame its not rugby season as seeing Nadroga play at Lawaqa Park in Sigatoka is great fun... it's essentially 14 wingers and a full back.
Davedj77

Post by Davedj77 »

Tehuringa wrote:
Davedj77 wrote:Heading to Denarau, Fiji next weekend for a week, staying at the Wyndham Resort with family (including our 2 year old).
Activities wise, Denerau is ... funnily enough, as you would expect resorty. Worth heading out to some Islands for a day trip on a boat. Nadi isn't exactly the most exciting city .... a lunchtime curry at Tata's is pretty epic. It's a pretty rough looking joint just near the Hindu temple in Nadi but the food is fantastic and if you are looking around Nadi for a day it should be on your list. Tu's place, owned by a Kiwi bloke and his Fijian wife, is good for kokoda but isn't exactly upmarket... good food and company though.

Garden of the Sleeping Giant just to the north of Nadi is worth a look if you are getting a car. The beaches around Nadi aren't much chop, Wailoaloa probably the best but you're better heading out to the Yasawa's.

Rugby shouldn't be a problem in your hotel.... you've just missed the Oceania 7s in Suva and its a shame its not rugby season as seeing Nadroga play at Lawaqa Park in Sigatoka is great fun... it's essentially 14 wingers and a full back.
Thanks for the advice. I'm keen as to have a kava session too, will that be pretty easy to do?
Tehuringa

Post by Tehuringa »

Davedj77 wrote:
Tehuringa wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I'm keen as to have a kava session too, will that be pretty easy to do?
For sure... activities folk at the resort should be able to tee it up.... if you are after a more authentic experience organise to visit a village, head to the market and buy a gift of Yaqona (kava root) for the head of the village and jump in.... I'm sure someone at the resort or in the Port will be able to sort you out.
blackblackblack

Post by blackblackblack »

A Good mate is involved with this place.

http://www.taumeasinaislandresortsamoa. ... liday-deal

I've not been myself but it looks like a great place.
kovana

Post by kovana »

blackblackblack wrote:A Good mate is involved with this place.

Its fcucken great man. Even thou im a local and live next to a beach, taumeasina is quite amazing.

Also taumeasina has a bit of a story to it. This is supposedly one of the villages 'Sina/hina/ina' in Polynesian legend hid at to get away from the eel... Who was actually a demi-god called 'Tuifiti'.. Anyways, latter on this same eel is killed and gets its head lobbed off.. But it asks Sina to bury his head afterwards. The eels head became a coconut which is why a coconut has 3 little 'holes' in it... 2 are its eyes, and the one you drink from is its mouth.

Yea... Scientifically proven.
Last edited by kovana on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
kovana

Post by kovana »

Davedj77 wrote: Thanks for the advice. I'm keen as to have a kava session too, will that be pretty easy to do?
Dude, Fijians drink Kava like water. Even at the resort, im pretty sure you can go to the staff kitchen and the boys will be drinking kava. They drink too much of the fcuken stuff.

However, if you do get around the Kava bowl, ask them the origin of Kava in their legends. Its a great legend to talk about since Tongan, Fijian and Samoan legends regarding origins of kava are quite similar.

I would tell you a few legends to impress the locals.. But im too fcuken lazy right now. Oh, ask them about the Kabara kava bowl makers in lau!
Davedj77

Post by Davedj77 »

kovana wrote:
Davedj77 wrote: Thanks for the advice. I'm keen as to have a kava session too, will that be pretty easy to do?
Dude, Fijians drink Kava like water. Even at the resort, im pretty sure you can go to the staff kitchen and the boys will be drinking kava. They drink too much of the fcuken stuff.

However, if you do get around the Kava bowl, ask them the origin of Kava in their legends. Its a great legend to talk about since Tongan, Fijian and Samoan legends regarding origins of kava are quite similar.

I would tell you a few legends to impress the locals.. But im too fcuken lazy right now. Oh, ask them about the Kabara kava bowl makers in lau!
Cheers, thanks. I've been meaning to give kava a try for ages so this will be the perfect opportunity.
kovana

Post by kovana »

kovana wrote:
blackblackblack wrote:A Good mate is involved with this place.

Its fcucken great man. Even thou im a local and live next to a beach, taumeasina is quite amazing.

Also taumeasina has a bit of a story to it. This is supposedly one of the villages 'Sina/hina/ina' in Polynesian legend hid at to get away from the eel... Who was actually a demi-god called 'Tuifiti'.. Anyways, latter on this same eel is killed and gets its head lobbed off.. But it asks Sina to bury his head afterwards. The eels head became a coconut which is why a coconut has 3 little 'holes' in it... 2 are its eyes, and the one you drink from is its mouth.

Yea... Scientifically proven.
Oh, and one other thing I forgot to mention.. What taumeasina actually means...

As I mentioned, this is one of the lagoons where sina hid at away from the eel.. However, as she was hiding in the lagoon, the eel snuck up on her from under the sea.. and 'brushed' or 'hit' Sinas privates.. :lol:

Which is how Taumeasina got its name.. Tau - hit; mea - thing.. but can also mean privates....; Sina is sina...

So - Hit Sinas 'privates'... Tau/mea/sina

As you can see its related to a bit of the Maori Legend where Tuna-roa (Tuna means eel in Maori and Samoan too) rubbed against Hinas privates as well.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

I reckon the eel's name should be pronounced "roimua", given its fascination with women's privates.
kovana

Post by kovana »

Kiwias wrote:I reckon the eel's name should be pronounced "roimua", given its fascination with women's privates.
???
pink freud

Post by pink freud »

Forget the Pacific islands...completely and utterly boring.
kovana

Post by kovana »

pink freud wrote:Forget the Pacific islands...completely and utterly boring.
Not what your mother said.

Just fcuk off.
Vuaka

Post by Vuaka »

Davedj77 wrote:
kovana wrote:

Cheers, thanks. I've been meaning to give kava a try for ages so this will be the perfect opportunity.
Just remember that it's rude to only have one bilo and leave. It is customary to stay for the whole session and stumble back to your room just before the cock crows...

Good luck bro! :thumbup: :lol:
Hardtackle

Post by Hardtackle »

A schoolmate of owns and runs the Beachhouse Fiji. It's on the Coral Coast, its awesome, inexpensive, got the white beach, surfing, snorkelling, pool table, Europussy to admire, the lot.

If you're loaded, go to Vomo Island. Paradise on earth.