Sinn Fein
8%
Gavin Henson/Other
10%

Total votes: 236

bimboman

Re: The OFFICIAL 2017 General Election Thread

Post by bimboman »

Sorry, what? I'm not being subtle at all - I mean what I say. If you think I'm trying to say anything else then I'm not at all. (I get the impression you think it's a mental health jab - it should be really clear by now that I do not do that)

Oh so you knew what I meant then..... x(
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

Any chance of a little electoral reform?
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

dr dre2 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:Right so:

319 needed (326-SF7)

Cons 318 (315 confirmed)
DUP 10

That's right but Corbyn claims victory?
Jesus Dre your maths is awful.
It's (650-7)/2 +1 = 322 needed.

With 318/319 seats, that's minority government territory.
My mistake.
Actually Camroc I'm right. It puzzled me a bit. While you are correct purely mathematically​. You need to take the 7 off after you /2 +1. Due to the fact that the 7 being entirely likely to be politically aligned with "the other side". Taking the 7 off first aligns 3.5 on each side, when they all need to come off the opposition. I looked at the advertised figure of 326 and - SF rather than thought about it, but it's entirely correct. 319 is the mark or 318 - the speaker? Which they may get without DUP.
Last edited by dr dre2 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Can the queen just say 'fudge this' and appoint someone? :frown:
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

London_Lurker wrote:
bessantj wrote:
London_Lurker wrote:She managed to massively re-toxify the Tory brand in London. As I said earlier in the thread I know people who have stood for the conservative party who considered her beyond the pale.

There is absolutely no majority in the parliament for her "immigration priority" approach to brexit. Leaving everything in the EU then trying to negotiate some fantasy deal is impossible. It was already probably impossible, now it is super impossible.
That is the worst kind of impossible.
Nope. There is also super-duper-impossible, and Lib-dem prime minister, as worse kinds of impossible.
They were EU mandated impossibles and we've voted for Brexit.
London_Lurker

Post by London_Lurker »

penguin wrote:
London_Lurker wrote:
penguin wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:In a bizarre twist, it looks like a hard brexit is even more on the cards.
I thought David Davies said last night that the results suggested a re-think that would put single market access back on the table? If he's saying that then soft brexit seems like a more likely option. If the conservatives go for hard brexit, even with the support of pro-leave MPs elsewhere, they are not all hard brexiters within their own party so will have a hell of as job pushing that through.

What's the counter to that view?
EFTA option might be off the table, but we have to try that. We need to get used to the idea that the EURef has reduced the ability of UK governments to steer our economic destiny.
I'd take it. Compared to hard brexit, reduced influence in Europe, but trade with Europe and the relative stability, plus the ability to strike trade deals elsewhere is about as good as I think a remainer like me could hope for.

Farage was already banging on today about coming back if anything other than a hard brexit was realised, but doubt whether they can rouse the same anger a second time, especially if we are technically out of the EU...it will be a battle just for the true believers.
If Cameron had had even a single braincell then the EURef would have had that explicitly as the alternative. Having no alternative in the EURef was utterly criminal, and probably should be made constitutionally illegal. We didn't have voting Ref as a choice between FPTP and any other alternative, we had two options and picked status quo. I presume that a commitment to seek leaving the EU in preference of attempting to negotiate EFTA membership as the alternative to remaining in the EU was seen as too plausible. But in the absence of an alternative the space was filled by the utopian unicorn offerings of the anti-globalist left and right.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

bimboman wrote:
Sorry, what? I'm not being subtle at all - I mean what I say. If you think I'm trying to say anything else then I'm not at all. (I get the impression you think it's a mental health jab - it should be really clear by now that I do not do that)
Oh so you knew what I meant then..... x(
Because I'm not stupid and if someone quotes a specific line and goes "subtle" then it's obvious they think I'm trolling something, so I try and re-read it in that light. Rest assured I am not trolling your mental health, but I can certainly understand why you would think otherwise.
Thai guy

Post by Thai guy »

Boris Johnson. :lol:

Only Tory supporters could vilify Corbyn for looking scruffy, then come up with Boris and keep a straight face.
sewa

Post by sewa »

bimboman wrote:
sewa wrote:
openclashXX wrote:What a stellar selection of candidates, who are people on here preferring?
Odds on the next Tory leader:

Boris Johnson - 2/1

Phillip Hammond - 7/1

Sajid Javid - 12/1

Michael Gove - 14/1

Amber Rudd - 16/1

Ruth Davidson - 20/1

Jeremy Hunt - 20/1

Liz Truss - 25/1

George Osborne - 25/1

Matthew Hancock - 25/1

Jo Johnson - 33/1

Stephen Crabb - 25/1

Dominic Rabb - 25/1
Thats bloody grim reading, is there no competent people in politics anymore?

Boris ran London very well for 8 years.
Boris is a joke, an absolute joke, if you'd actually vote for him then I am staggered. Anyhow, enjoy Amsterdam, if you are ever near Leiden call in for a pint
London_Lurker

Post by London_Lurker »

Thai guy wrote:Boris Johnson. :lol:

Only Tory supporters could vilify Corbyn for looking scruffy, then come up with Boris and keep a straight face.
Boris Johnson's USP was that he could reach out to non-Tories. Thats over now, pointless going for him now. Also I really don't see the added value in having a man who made his career as a journey by lying about the EU/EEC as PM at the moment. This isn't Nixon going to china.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

unseenwork wrote:Well are the Conservatives willing to get into bed with one of the most repulsive parties in the UK?
Image x(
theo

Post by theo »

Good work Britain

Soft Brexit more likely
UKIP dead.
SNP dying.

Overall I'm not too upset by the whole thing

May has to stay. No more uncertainty please. Get on with it with a minority government and work with the other parties.
penguin

Post by penguin »

London_Lurker wrote:
If Cameron had had even a single braincell then the EURef would have had that explicitly as the alternative. Having no alternative in the EURef was utterly criminal, and probably should be made constitutionally illegal. We didn't have voting Ref as a choice between FPTP and any other alternative, we had two options and picked status quo. I presume that a commitment to seek leaving the EU in preference of attempting to negotiate EFTA membership as the alternative to remaining in the EU was seen as too plausible. But in the absence of an alternative the space was filled by the utopian unicorn offerings of the anti-globalist left and right.
The whole thing was poorly thought through. Today Farage was banging on about how everyone voted for hard brexit, and they would be up in arms if that doesn't come about. I just don't think he gets how little understanding there was (on both sides) about what leave meant. For some that was a reason to stay, for others it didn't matter as they wanted to throw a stick in the spokes. No one knew what the hell was supposed to happen. Cameron - what a tool.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Hawk97 wrote:Can the queen just say 'f**k this' and appoint someone? :frown:
In theory yes, but that person has to be able to command the house.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

theo wrote:Good work Britain

Soft Brexit more likely
UKIP dead.
SNP dying.

May has to stay. No more uncertainty please. Get on with it with a minority government and work with the other parties.
Not worried about Corbyn having a massive say, and momentum? He's killed the last 6 weeks.
London_Lurker

Post by London_Lurker »

Soft Brexit more likely
UKIP dead.
SNP dying.

Don't get the "No deal is definite now" stuff at all. UKIP will be back because the Tories will now stop trying to be UKIP (hopefully). May's pivot towards anti-business, "immigration is pushing down wages" messages has been a disaster.
Last edited by London_Lurker on Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Soft Brexit more likely
UKIP dead.
SNP dying.

I don't see how she can stay, and I don't see how she can go. She's bollocksed things up even better than Cameron did, somehow. Interim minority government to keep the markets happy while the Tories figure out what to do next
Torquemada 1420

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

sewa wrote: Thats bloody grim reading, is there no competent people in politics anymore?
No. And that should be no surprise in an era of career politicians the majority of whom have never done anything meaningful or relevant in the real world.
Thai guy

Post by Thai guy »

Hawk97 wrote:

Soft Brexit more likely
UKIP dead.
SNP dying.

Not worried about Corbyn having a massive say, and momentum? He's killed the last 6 weeks.
Corbyn is willing to talk to everyone for the benefit of the people of Britain. According to his haters he's in bed with Hamas so it shouldn't much of a jump for him to work with the Tories.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
sewa wrote: Thats bloody grim reading, is there no competent people in politics anymore?
No. And that should be no surprise in an era of career politicians the majority of whom have never done anything meaningful or relevant in the real world.
Yup
theo

Post by theo »

Hawk97 wrote:

Soft Brexit more likely
UKIP dead.
SNP dying.

Tories can just vote him down. His dafter ideas will have to go by the wayside as he will get no support from the other main parties.
Torquemada 1420

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

unseenwork wrote:Any chance of a little electoral reform?
None. Ever. Turkeys voting for Xmas. Reform might result in the opportunity for some new thinking and competent candidates.
theo

Post by theo »

Chuckles1188 wrote:

Soft Brexit more likely
UKIP dead.
SNP dying.

I don't see how she can stay, and I don't see how she can go. She's bollocksed things up even better than Cameron did, somehow. Interim minority government to keep the markets happy while the Tories figure out what to do next
She can't go. She has to see this through and be the strong person she claimed to be. We do not need anymore political pissing about. It's been a shambles for the best part of 15 months now. We've had a major political event in this country every year since 2014 (Scotref to today). We need them to just get on with it now.
Last edited by theo on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

Official Labour message to May https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctr9ZfeyvXg
nardol

Post by nardol »

was there not a referendum a few years ago in UK on proportional representation?

Brits screwing themselves over

and over and over and over and over
London_Lurker

Post by London_Lurker »

penguin wrote:
London_Lurker wrote:
The whole thing was poorly thought through. Today Farage was banging on about how everyone voted for hard brexit, and they would be up in arms if that doesn't come about. I just don't think he gets how little understanding there was (on both sides) about what leave meant. For some that was a reason to stay, for others it didn't matter as they wanted to throw a stick in the spokes. No one knew what the hell was supposed to happen. Cameron - what a tool.
Well quite. Also, whilst the pro-brexit media have created this message that project fear was bollocks, the economy is great etc etc. If you look at the actual ONS figures, since brexit every quarter inflation has been higher than wage growth. Again. We've only felt pain from brexit for absolutely no gain.

f**king terrible time for a seating government to call an election. May vapidly chased polling figures, and has got her just deserts.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

dr dre2 wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

319 needed (326-SF7)

Cons 318 (315 confirmed)
DUP 10

My mistake.
Actually Camroc I'm right. It puzzled me a bit. While you are correct purely mathematically​. You need to take the 7 off after you /2 +1. Due to the fact that the 7 being entirely likely to be politically aligned with "the other side". Taking the 7 off first aligns 3.5 on each side, when they all need to come off the opposition. I looked at the advertised figure of 326 and - SF rather than thought about it, but it's entirely correct. 319 is the mark or 318 - the speaker? Which they may get without DUP.
SF abstain - they essentially are not part of parliament. They come off the top when calculating the finish line.

Also "purely mathematically" is the best correct.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Man In Black wrote:
openclashXX wrote:Pretty good result personally, Corbyn loses big a large margin but May doesn't get the ringing endorsement she never deserved, and probably has to resign

Crap result for the country as a whole though

Anyone able to post who are the bookies favourites to replace May? Surely it's not all Brexiteers like Boris, Davis etc, any room for a Remainer in there?
I'm not a Brit, but did vote, and I largely agree with this. I'm not a Corbyn supporter but I'm not a fan of this Tory government.

Also agree with Chuckles as a fellow LD voter.
The country is crying out for a genuinely charismatic figure who can also govern like an adult. The question is whether anyone can find one.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

London_Lurker wrote:
f**k terrible time for a seating government to call an election. May vapidly chased polling figures, and has got her just deserts.
Much as I dislike the woman, this is a little unfair - she was in a straitjacket as far as governing was concerned, totally unable to achieve anything outside of Brexit. That's not sustainable. Her fault was not in calling the election, it was campaigning so miserably badly
London_Lurker

Post by London_Lurker »

nardol wrote:was there not a referendum a few years ago in UK on proportional representation?

No. It was on AV, the only alternative on offer. The idea that we would be a ref without a definite alternative to the status quo... That would just be crazy right??? :lol:
tc27

Post by tc27 »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
openclashXX wrote:Pretty good result personally, Corbyn loses big a large margin but May doesn't get the ringing endorsement she never deserved, and probably has to resign

Anyone able to post who are the bookies favourites to replace May? Surely it's not all Brexiteers like Boris, Davis etc, any room for a Remainer in there?
I'm not a Brit, but did vote, and I largely agree with this. I'm not a Corbyn supporter but I'm not a fan of this Tory government.

The country is crying out for a genuinely charismatic figure who can also govern like an adult. The question is whether anyone can find one.
This is true - no-one is up to the task at the moment.
theo

Post by theo »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

zzzz

Post by zzzz »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:It'll be minority Tory.

The 7 Shinners will abstain giving a de facto required majority of 322.
This appears to have been missed by the media this morning.

However, even if your point stands, May now becomes vulnerable to her own back benches so her attempt to purge the party of all bar yes men has definitely failed.
Why is everyone so certain they will abstain? It's Corbyn.
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

London_Lurker wrote:
Don't get the "No deal is definite now" stuff at all. UKIP will be back because the Tories will now stop trying to be UKIP (hopefully). May's pivot towards anti-business, "immigration is pushing down wages" messages has been a disaster.

Maybe, but she's a true believer on that one from what I understand. Nothing to do with UKIP for her personally, it was the root of her clashes with Osborne.
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

Thai guy wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:

Soft Brexit more likely
UKIP dead.
SNP dying.

Corbyn is willing to talk to everyone for the benefit of the people of Britain. According to his haters he's in bed with Hamas so it shouldn't much of a jump for him to work with the Tories.
Tories have a workable majority without the DUP.

326 (50%+1), -1 (Lefty speaker), -7 (SF), (8 votes against lost). = 318 (unassailable vote mark).

Cons seats = 318.

Tight as hell.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

London_Lurker wrote:
nardol wrote:was there not a referendum a few years ago in UK on proportional representation?

No. It was on AV, the only alternative on offer. The idea that we would be a ref without a definite alternative to the status quo... That would just be crazy right??? :lol:
Let us remember again what an absolute pillock Cameron was
London_Lurker

Post by London_Lurker »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
London_Lurker wrote:
f**k terrible time for a seating government to call an election. May vapidly chased polling figures, and has got her just deserts.
Much as I dislike the woman, this is a little unfair - she was in a straitjacket as far as governing was concerned, totally unable to achieve anything outside of Brexit. That's not sustainable. Her fault was not in calling the election, it was campaigning so miserably badly
I don't see that. She was seen as massively popular as recently as 7 days ago, which is why we never heard anything from remainer MPs (Soubry and Clarke honourable exceptions). She was stable and had a majority. Absolutely no reason for this election. The argument that she needed a massive majority to see off the hard brexiteers in her party is silly IMO.
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

penguin wrote: The whole thing was poorly thought through. Today Farage was banging on about how everyone voted for hard brexit, and they would be up in arms if that doesn't come about. I just don't think he gets how little understanding there was (on both sides) about what leave meant. For some that was a reason to stay, for others it didn't matter as they wanted to throw a stick in the spokes. No one knew what the hell was supposed to happen. Cameron - what a tool.

Yes. Someone I know told me that if he had felt his line of work was directly dependent on Europe, and he hadn't paid his mortgage off, he'd definitely have voted remain. As it was, he voted leave.

I changed the subject.
topofthemoon

Post by topofthemoon »

dr dre2 wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

319 needed (326-SF7)

Cons 318 (315 confirmed)
DUP 10

My mistake.
650 MPs. 7 do not vote therefore there are 643 voting MPs. 322 to 321 is the smallest possible margin for passing a vote in this case therefore 322 is the minimum number of seats required for a majority.
village

Post by village »

camroc1 wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

319 needed (326-SF7)

Cons 318 (315 confirmed)
DUP 10

My mistake.
SF abstain - they essentially are not part of parliament. They come off the top when calculating the finish line.

Also "purely mathematically" is the best correct.
Tell that to Hilary. :lol: