The Official Scottish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
jrp

Re: The Official Scottish Rugby Thread

Post by jrp »

Well it's turning out that Kelly Brown is a pretty pish captain - two games in a row he's been utterly clueless about what to do - take the f**king points, it's the most fundamental rule in test rugby. We were 12pts down against NZ and he was kicking for the corner - did the same today - our lineout isn't guaranteed ball, so WTF do you constantly go for the corner?

He played better today - but needs to sort out these daft decisions - he also needs to be in refs ear more - I didn't see him questioning Clancy after their "maul" try.

I thought we were shit today - largely clueless even when we had dominance in the second half. Our forwards are poorly coached IMO - nobody runs off Denton, he needs to be told to offload instead of running moronically into contact, our lineouts are a f**king abortion and it's not just to do with Ford - WTF are we throwing stupid static balls to 1 in the line 5m from their line?

Defence is poor, the number of times a Saffer made 2-3m at tackle time was disgraceful - we have the players to hit them back but our defence has all gone to shit.

Well played to Pyrgos, I still think he's shit - but it's an indication of how utterly f**king awful Blair was that Pyrgos looked like Gareth Edwards when he came on.

And Visser is a softcock - opting out of physical confrontation when he can and slowing down when he has no other option.
Lorthern Nights

Post by Lorthern Nights »

Our defence is shite at the moment not that SA offered anything, a dodgy first try and then an interception. Used to be our main strength but a big weakness now, laidlaw is a liability in defence as well, I can see him being targeted.

Spot on, on the decision making utterly clueless
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Credit to the front row today. Grant to me was probably the best scot on the field. I said on the match thread about the kicking, it is so f**king pointless and as an attacking tool because we do not have the players to win the ball back. Matt Scott also had a good game, strong in contact and a couple of promising breaks.
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

I said it on the other thread, but Pyrgos was a revelation when he came on today. He changed the game completely. If he had been on from the start I don't think we'd have lost. Apart from anything else, we wouldn't have played as badly as we did in the first half and he wouldn't have thrown the ridiculous pass which gave away an interception.

Perhaps he isn't all that good, but on today's showing he is comfortably the best option we currently have.
jrp

Post by jrp »

Lorthern Nights wrote:Our defence is shite at the moment not that SA offered anything, a dodgy first try and then an interception. Used to be our main strength but a big weakness now, laidlaw is a liability in defence as well, I can see him being targeted.

Laidlaw was indeed targeted - he only missed one tackle.

He needs to go back to 9 though - when the fudge is mini moray back, the idea of Jackson playing in the 6Ns makes me want to boak.
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

BlackMac wrote:Credit to the front row today. Grant to me was probably the best scot on the field. I said on the match thread about the kicking, it is so f**king pointless and as an attacking tool because we do not have the players to win the ball back. Matt Scott also had a good game, strong in contact and a couple of promising breaks.
Oh, the f**king kicking! I had a rant on the match thread too. IT NEVER EVER f**king WORKS. IT. NEVER. EVER. f**king. WORKS. Maybe for other teams. Not for us. It just gives away cheap possession. You'd never bloody see NZ kicking away perfectly good ball.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Doc Rob wrote:I said it on the other thread, but Pyrgos was a revelation when he came on today. He changed the game completely. If he had been on from the start I don't think we'd have lost. Apart from anything else, we wouldn't have played as badly as we did in the first half and he wouldn't have thrown the ridiculous pass which gave away an interception.

Perhaps he isn't all that good, but on today's showing he is comfortably the best option we currently have.
Have to say it, Pyrgos looked excellent and as if he had been playing tests for years. Blair was atrocious, its hard enough getting quick ball without his floating shovel pass slowing it down further. He has had his day i'm afraid.
spanks

Post by spanks »

Shite performance, it's amazing how naive we are every single time we play.

Don't play the ref at all, check.
Try go wide constantly in our own half, check.
Defensive line sits back so they can get some momentum, check.
Don't highlight their indiscretions to ref, check.
Don't kick for territory, check.
Gift them two soft tries, check.
Don't chase kicks, check.
Don't take easy points on offer, check.
Make ridiculous calls at pressure line-outs, check.
Repeatedly hoist useless garry owen's, check.
Don't bring any intensity to the game until 50th minute, check.
Forget about the backs as soon as we're near the try line, check.

We're like the mouse that doesn't realise the cheese has an electric current and repeatedly gets shocked.

Jesus wept.
Last edited by spanks on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

spanks wrote:Shite performance, it's amazing how naive we are every single time we play.

Don't play the ref at all, check.
Try go wide constantly in our own half, check.
Defensive line sits back so they can get some momentum, check.
Don't highlight their indiscretions to ref, check.
Gift them two soft tries, check.
Don't chase kicks, check.
Don't take easy points on offer, check.
Make ridiculous calls at pressure line-outs, check.
Don't bring any intensity to the game until 50th minute, check.
Forget about backs as soon as we're near the try line, check.

Jesus wept.
I can't really argue with any of that. What's irritating is that you know we could do so much better.
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

I am disappoint.
GWWG

Post by GWWG »

I thought the back row all played as individuals today. Denton looked the worst at it as he seemed to try it more often but I don't recall any 'collective' move. Ironically, this game cried out for Mcinally - albeit in better form than now. I was screaming at the end of the first half when the forwards kept it in despite ere be Inge masses of space and extra men out right. The scrum half should boss that and Blair was horrid. Laidlaw didn't control anything and people can argue about where he should play but he's the only option we have at 10 and even when Weir was fit, Laidlaw was a street ahead of him. And I'll it again, swapping him for that fanny Jackson for me was insane. One other thing I don't get is why time and again we went down the short side when there was about 5 yards of room and it was well defended.
Lorthern Nights

jrp wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:Our defence is shite at the moment not that SA offered anything, a dodgy first try and then an interception. Used to be our main strength but a big weakness now, laidlaw is a liability in defence as well, I can see him being targeted.

He needs to go back to 9 though - when the fudge is mini moray back, the idea of Jackson playing in the 6Ns makes me want to boak.
There was one that was obvious but it certainly wasn't the only incident. Not knocking him too much as he is tiny compared to modern backlines and there is only so much technique you can throw at it
GWWG

Post by GWWG »

Lorthern Nights wrote:
jrp wrote:

There was one that was obvious but it certainly wasn't the only incident. Not knocking him too much as he is tiny compared to modern backlines and there is only so much technique you can throw at it
That he was having to tackle flankers shows there was something wrong with the whole defensive set up.
Lorthern Nights

GWWG wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
jrp wrote:

That he was having to tackle flankers shows there was something wrong with the whole defensive set up.
That will always happen any half decent backrow can target the opposition 10, not that I think the defence is any cop, it certainly isn't and we seem to have lost our aggressive defence which has been so crucial in stopping these bigger teams and grinding out the wins
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

According to jrp, Laidlaw missed one tackle in the whole game - which is actually pretty impressive when you consider that he was facing guys who outweigh him by 5 stone.

At least he isn't Dan 'Turnstile' Parks!
topofthemoon

Post by topofthemoon »

GWWG wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
jrp wrote:

Glasgow spent years moving Parks in defensive alignments. Why did they not use Lamont or Hogg to strenghten the 10 channel against a side that was incapable of moving the ball wide?
jrp

Post by jrp »

GWWG wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
jrp wrote:

There is little a defence can do if an attacking team target the opposition 10 (the myth of having your flankers doing the tackling is just that) - you can only mask the problem by having the 10 out of the line. Laidlaw made his textbook ankle tackles - but this does nothing to stop momentum.

I agree subbing him for Jackson was bewildering - but Robinson has always liked Jackson - Mini Moray cant get fit fast enough.
jrp

Post by jrp »

topofthemoon wrote:
GWWG wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
jrp wrote:

Glasgow spent years moving Parks in defensive alignments. Why did they not use Lamont or Hogg to strenghten the 10 channel against a side that was incapable of moving the ball wide?
We conceded zero points through the 10 channel - the only points that were conceded by Laidlaw was a phanton offside that only plum clancy saw.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

jrp wrote:
And Visser is a softcock - opting out of physical confrontation when he can and slowing down when he has no other option.
make up yer mind yer fecking fanny, i implied this after the toulouse game and you balled me out
Lorthern Nights

Doc Rob wrote:According to jrp, Laidlaw missed one tackle in the whole game - which is actually pretty impressive when you consider that he was facing guys who outweigh him by 5 stone.

At least he isn't Dan 'Turnstile' Parks!
Jerps is wrong on that but I am not having a go at his lack of effort. He has plenty guts and ok technique he is just too small and we have to commit other players to aiding his tackles which in turn stretches our defence on the following phases.

Didn't matter too much against the boks as they had nothing else, other teams though will watch this and use it.
GWWG

Post by GWWG »

fisgard792 wrote:
jrp wrote:
make up yer mind yer fecking fanny, i implied this after the toulouse game and you balled me out
He did one or twice but at least he went looking for work and when he had no options he took the contact ok. He should have caught that pass from Jackson though. In his gob! I thought Scott stood up well in contact but he'll never do anything much until he gets a 13 running off is shoulder. Oh we'll. I. Reality the RWC draw could have thrown up a horrid draw even with us in the 8. And I'd fancy Oz and Samoa for instance.
Lorthern Nights

I agree on the RWC draw, it is likely to make little difference in pot 2 or 3. We had a decent draw last time and lost out in 2 close matches that we could of/should of won.
shuzbee

Post by shuzbee »

Henry pyrgos, put the oven on to 200, im coming round for some humble pie.

Why do we seem to have so little faith in our backline when in the opposition 22? Honestly, that close to the try line and a wee training ground move designed to get a half break and youre talking. Still dont get why we never take the ball at as much pace as we do in club games. Although that might answer my first question... Fucks sake scotland.
jrp

Post by jrp »

GWWG wrote:
fisgard792 wrote:
jrp wrote:
He did one or twice but at least he went looking for work and when he had no options he took the contact ok. He should have caught that pass from Jackson though. In his gob! I thought Scott stood up well in contact but he'll never do anything much until he gets a 13 running off is shoulder. Oh we'll. I. Reality the RWC draw could have thrown up a horrid draw even with us in the 8. And I'd fancy Oz and Samoa for instance.
Visser didn't go looking for work though and when the ball came his way in defence he opted out. Lamont was the much busier winger. Visser is 6ft 5 and 17st - you wouldn't know that from how he approaches confrontation.
shuzbee

Post by shuzbee »

jrp wrote:
GWWG wrote:
fisgard792 wrote:
jrp wrote:
Visser didn't go looking for work though and when the ball came his way in defence he opted out. Lamont was the much busier winger. Visser is 6ft 5 and 17st - you wouldn't know that from how he approaches confrontation.
valid points, but tbh, you know what you get with visser and this is nothing new
GWWG

Post by GWWG »

He did when we started playing. And much of the last half hour was played on his doorstep. Lamont played well throughout I admit. A game that suited him I guess. Visser is a finisher first and foemost but for 80 minutes there was nothing to finish. Hardly his best game but he wasn't the worst by a distance.
jrp

Post by jrp »

GWWG wrote:He did when we started playing. And much of the last half hour was played on his doorstep. Lamont played well throughout I admit. A game that suited him I guess. Visser is a finisher first and foemost but for 80 minutes there was nothing to finish. Hardly his best game but he wasn't the worst by a distance.
A winger is at the mercy of his team-mates and how the game is going tactically - I couldn't care less if I didn't see Visser at all in a match, if the game flowed that way. What I dont like is him mincing about the place - he's a f**king massive guy and needs to start putting himself about.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Weir will apparently be involved this friday.
topofthemoon

Post by topofthemoon »

jrp wrote:
topofthemoon wrote:Glasgow spent years moving Parks in defensive alignments. Why did they not use Lamont or Hogg to strenghten the 10 channel against a side that was incapable of moving the ball wide?
We conceded zero points through the 10 channel - the only points that were conceded by Laidlaw was a phanton offside that only plum clancy saw.
Aye but we conceded plenty of ground and the Saffers were able to get on the front foot in the first half when it was obvious they were targeting that area to make ground and be in positions that they could score from. Springboks can only play 10 man rugby and we would've been under less pressure if we'd been able to stop them crossing the gain line so easily and so often.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Jacobson has retired from international rugby.

Wonder if his recent personal problem was a disagreement with Robbo.
jrp

Post by jrp »

topofthemoon wrote:
jrp wrote:
topofthemoon wrote:Glasgow spent years moving Parks in defensive alignments. Why did they not use Lamont or Hogg to strenghten the 10 channel against a side that was incapable of moving the ball wide?
Aye but we conceded plenty of ground and the Saffers were able to get on the front foot in the first half when it was obvious they were targeting that area to make ground and be in positions that they could score from. Springboks can only play 10 man rugby and we would've been under less pressure if we'd been able to stop them crossing the gain line so easily and so often.
Show me a 10 that could stop and knock back Alberts - go on. A backrow can only do so much covering for a 10 in defence.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

topofthemoon wrote:
GWWG wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
GWWG wrote:

That had the advantage of putting Dans boot where it could be used best. Laidlaw doesn't have the range for that game.
Last edited by hp18 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrp

Post by jrp »

hp18 wrote:Jacobson has retired from international rugby.

You wonder or you've heard something?
hp18

Post by hp18 »

jrp wrote:

Na, just thinking out loud.... Sort of. Could be that, could be wanting more time at home (he's got a young kid hasn't he?), could be he'd rather retire than be retired.

Though I did hear a rumour last night he was quiting rugby altogether, not sure where that came from though. Might have been Beattie.
ElPablo

Post by ElPablo »

Just to pick up on the kicking game. Why is our kick chase so poor? Only Hogg busted a gut to close them down and having one chaser isn't going to achieve much.

We're atrocious under the high ball. Hogg's decent the other two are bloody useless. It's a shame Murchie doesn't offer more as he's by far the most secure back we have with up and unders.

Grant was superb, Kellock is our best captain by far, something we'll have to consider as Kelly hasn't made a good fist of it so far.

I'll join in on some humble pie with Pyrgos. He was superb when he came on.
jrp

Post by jrp »

hp18 wrote:
jrp wrote:

Na, just thinking out loud.... Sort of. Could be that, could be wanting more time at home (he's got a young kid hasn't he?), could be he'd rather retire than be retired.

Though I did hear a rumour last night he was quiting rugby altogether, not sure where that came from though. Might have been Beattie.
The idea of playing rugby under the UMM is a pretty horrible thought - but he's not exactly endowed with many other talents, unless competitive eating is his new career.

The family bit is amusing, do you realise just how much time off pro rugby players get? He would see far less of his family if he worked 9-5.
toocoldhere

Post by toocoldhere »

jrp wrote:The idea of playing rugby under the UMM is a pretty horrible thought - but he's not exactly endowed with many other talents, unless competitive eating is his new career.

The family bit is amusing, do you realise just how much time off pro rugby players get? He would see far less of his family if he worked 9-5.
But don't forget, the whole of Murrayfield wished UMM a happy 50th on Saturday :lol:
“Chunk has often said that rugby has been good for him and his family and now that he wants to make his wife Gayle and daughter Maisie a bigger priority, then I’m sure all rugby people will support Chunk at this time and in the future.”

Edinburgh Rugby head coach Michael Bradley said: “We fully respect and empathise with Chunk’s decision to retire from international rugby.

“Having spoken with him it’s absolutely clear that he is 100% committed to the Edinburgh Rugby cause.

Slightly strange quote from UMM there as well
hp18

Post by hp18 »

jrp wrote:
hp18 wrote:
jrp wrote:

The idea of playing rugby under the UMM is a pretty horrible thought - but he's not exactly endowed with many other talents, unless competitive eating is his new career.

Sales rep for Frae Bentos?

Undoubtedly. Can't rule it out though, however unlikely.
GWWG

Post by GWWG »

jrp wrote:
hp18 wrote:
jrp wrote:

He's from the Pans isn't he? He could spend a whole day with his daughter than do the break-ins and car-thieving at night after she's in bed. Ideal career for a parent.
Lorthern Nights

Chunk was good value when we had fudge all other options and anchored his side just fine, i wish him well and glad to see we now finally do have another option.

The Chunkettes or whatever they called themselves were amusing as well.