hp18

Re: The Official Scottish Rugby Thread

Post by hp18 »

You really think I read your posts?
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

I don't even know who you are.

You going to the "Warriors" game on Friday night? I'm planning on making an appearance
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Traveller wrote:I don't even know who you are.

You going to the "Warriors" game on Friday night? I'm planning on making an appearance
You're going to grace us with your presence?!!!! :shock: I'll get the red carpet ready.
jrp

Post by jrp »

Happy with that, the weakest Tier 2 side who we have never lost to.

When you consider our ranking we have got off lightly.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

jrp wrote:Happy with that, the weakest Tier 2 side who we have never lost to.
We'd never lost to Tonga either.

*mockers
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

hp18 wrote:

You're going to grace us with your presence?!!!! :shock: I'll get the red carpet ready.
Well, I'm hoping that they've reached their nadir and the only way is up. There's also the possibility that Castre will play some decent rugby and so give us something to watch.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Traveller wrote:
hp18 wrote:

Well, I'm hoping that they've reached their nadir and the only way is up. There's also the possibility that Castre will play some decent rugby and so give us something to watch.
There's a decent chance (imo) for Maitland to make his debut.

Edit: fudge. We do still have one change don't we? Rory out
Sir Finlay of Calder

Post by Sir Finlay of Calder »

As good a draw as we could have hoped for. At least we didn't get Argentina this time.
GWWG

Post by GWWG »

Could we have picked that any better. Maybe Oz over SA. The irony is that if we were tier 2 and got Samoa as a tier 3 team we'd probably feel worse.
Lorthern Nights

Post by Lorthern Nights »

Sir Finlay of Calder wrote:

As good a draw as we could have hoped for. At least we didn't get Argentina this time.
I'd agree with that, as good as we could have hoped for, other than the crime for the boks as they are still our bunnies
Sir Finlay of Calder

Post by Sir Finlay of Calder »

All we need now is a coach.
Coo

Post by Coo »

Sir Finlay of Calder wrote:All we need now is a coach.
...and a team
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

Coo wrote:
...and a team
...with some rugby nous
Coo

Post by Coo »

fisgard792 wrote:
Coo wrote:
...and a team
...with some rugby nous
Whilst I would prefer to see improved basic skills, they probably have enough nous to get by, so I'd go for heart instead.
Moustache Attack

Post by Moustache Attack »

Warriors twitter just read "We will have a good but of news tomorrow #staytuned". Maitland being added to the HC squad and in line for a debut?
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

Coo wrote:
fisgard792 wrote:
Coo wrote:
...and a team
...with some rugby nous
Whilst I would prefer to see improved basic skills, they probably have enough nous to get by, so I'd go for heart instead.
i think they have the heart coo, they can get parity for the ball with the best on grunt, and i dont think effort is a big problem though visser may test that thought a bit, they just give the impression they dont have a clue what to do positional wise on the pitch

i really think as a squad they are not the sharpest tool on the block rugby wise,

one example of 100% unforced, self inflicted grief, twice now, i have seen them taken the ball back into their 22 from a line out, once in the 6n when parks got charged down when he wasnt expecting the ball, and again in the samoa match, when the ball was deliberately kicked out,

the other match in the 6n, i think ireland, 20 mins in and they had the ref literally looking to card the opposition whilst winning their own line out ball with ease 5m out, they took a penalty instead and you could feel the pressure release

there is no sense of basic positional or possession drills, and part of the reason why they give the impression of being clueless in attack in the red zone
shuzbee

Post by shuzbee »

Moustache Attack wrote:Warriors twitter just read "We will have a good but of news tomorrow #staytuned". Maitland being added to the HC squad and in line for a debut?
Either that or theyve signed yet another player.
Coo

Post by Coo »

fisgard792 wrote:
Coo wrote:
fisgard792 wrote:
Coo wrote:
...and a team
...with some rugby nous
i think they have the heart coo, they can get parity for the ball with the best on grunt, and i dont think effort is a big problem though visser may test that thought a bit, they just give the impression they dont have a clue what to do positional wise on the pitch

i really think as a squad they are not the sharpest tool on the block rugby wise,

one example of 100% unforced, self inflicted grief, twice now, i have seen them taken the ball back into their 22 from a line out, once in the 6n when parks got charged down when he wasnt expecting the ball, and again in the samoa match, when the ball was deliberately kicked out,

the other match in the 6n, i think ireland, 20 mins in and they had the ref literally looking to card the opposition whilst winning their own line out ball with ease 5m out, they took a penalty instead and you could feel the pressure release

there is no sense of basic positional or possession drills, and part of the reason why they give the impression of being clueless in attack in the red zone
All fair points. One thing I will always remember is being drilled about mental toughness. And no, I cannot claim to have achieved it. That is what has set the All Blacks apart down the decades IMO. We accept making mistakes and performing to 75%. They never do. Until we change that we will always struggle.

In recent years I can only think of Jim Telfer, probably Geech at his peak (just maybe Derek Grant) instilling that in our teams. It is an attitude of mind.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

Coo wrote:
fisgard792 wrote:
Coo wrote:
fisgard792 wrote:
Coo wrote:
...and a team
...with some rugby nous

All fair points. One thing I will always remember is being drilled about mental toughness. And no, I cannot claim to have achieved it. That is what has set the All Blacks apart down the decades IMO. We accept making mistakes and performing to 75%. They never do. Until we change that we will always struggle.

In recent years I can only think of Jim Telfer, probably Geech at his peak (just maybe Derek Grant) instilling that in our teams. It is an attitude of mind.
the worrying thing is, is that i am not sure how much of it can be coached, i think the players arrive with it and you coach them at a higher level taking the stuff below as a given

you mention telfer and geech, i think if you look at generally at the players they had, they were not only receptive, but could apply and adjust the principles of what the coaches were trying to get thru to them in various situations during a game, maybe they wernt over coached, and had to work things out for themselves more, compared to the modern pro's.
Lorthern Nights

Post by Lorthern Nights »

I want to see how our lot get on with a decent coach, not saying we will appoint one but would be great to see how our lot would fair witha good coach
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Contract extension for Cusack. 2016 now.
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Coo wrote:All fair points. One thing I will always remember is being drilled about mental toughness. And no, I cannot claim to have achieved it. That is what has set the All Blacks apart down the decades IMO. We accept making mistakes and performing to 75%. They never do. Until we change that we will always struggle.

There was a character kicking about Murrayfield last year, former SAS officer type, who was there specifically to teach the players techniques for developing mental toughness and how to make correct decisions under pressure. I had the chance to speak to him about it and the main message I took away from that conversation was that it's not an overnight process. Whether he'll still be involved post AR I guess we'll find out in due course.

One point he didn't make but which I think is probably key is that the players need to be receptive to that kind of coaching. There was a lot of skepticism from some people within the SRU about whether or not he was adding any value and if that rubs off on the players it would become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Coo

Post by Coo »

Traveller wrote:
Coo wrote:All fair points. One thing I will always remember is being drilled about mental toughness. And no, I cannot claim to have achieved it. That is what has set the All Blacks apart down the decades IMO. We accept making mistakes and performing to 75%. They never do. Until we change that we will always struggle.

There was a character kicking about Murrayfield last year, former SAS officer type, who was there specifically to teach the players techniques for developing mental toughness and how to make correct decisions under pressure. I had the chance to speak to him about it and the main message I took away from that conversation was that it's not an overnight process. Whether he'll still be involved post AR I guess we'll find out in due course.

One point he didn't make but which I think is probably key is that the players need to be receptive to that kind of coaching. There was a lot of skepticism from some people within the SRU about whether or not he was adding any value and if that rubs off on the players it would become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
That's very interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if some were turned off. Even in the days of boys banging their heads off the dressing room walls, I knew guys who sat in silence. That doesn't mean they were any less committed when it kicked off. That is the key.

I was told that (up until the 80/90s anyway) new ABs were taken aside by old hands in the days before their first test to be schooled in what it was to be an All Black. They had no option but to assume the culture if they wanted to play again. I have no way of knowing this to be a fact, but I worry that too many players in the Scotland team like to have their egos massaged and won't have it any other way if you want them to play. Comments from the likes of Sean Lamont do nothing to dispel this belief.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Coo wrote:
Traveller wrote:

That's very interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if some were turned off. Even in the days of boys banging their heads off the dressing room walls, I knew guys who sat in silence. That doesn't mean they were any less committed when it kicked off. That is the key.

I was told that (up until the 80/90s anyway) new ABs were taken aside by old hands in the days before their first test to be schooled in what it was to be an All Black. They had no option but to assume the culture if they wanted to play again. I have no way of knowing this to be a fact, but I worry that too many players in the Scotland team like to have their egos massaged and won't have it any other way if you want them to play. Comments from the likes of Sean Lamont do nothing to dispel this belief.
I think you are spot on Coo. Too many of these blokes think they have made it because they are making a decent living. It would be interesting to see what would happen if their contracts were changed to reflect success.
jax7

Post by jax7 »

Any coach that does not play the lowest combined weight / height 9-10 of the top 10 teams in the world gets my vote...need those guys to be physically able to attack the line, defend theirs and ask more questions of the oppo...then our wings may get a chance to see a ball that is not an hospital pass...a vintage back row with a true and classy number 8 and an average front row would not go amiss...so Father Xmas, if you are listening, I know you have already obliged on the draw but please...
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

BlackMac wrote:
Coo wrote:
Traveller wrote:

I think you are spot on Coo. Too many of these blokes think they have made it because they are making a decent living. It would be interesting to see what would happen if their contracts were changed to reflect success.
a different slant on that, is that for many success is becoming a pro, and a national cap is icing n the cake, and in fairness, the careers can be that short now you can understand that in a way.
it would be interesting if you asked say a scottish u18 before his 1st cap what he considered a successful career would be compared to a u18 in nz
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Summer tour 2013

Will Play South Africa, Samoa and Poss Italy all in South Afirca

Castle Incoming Tour 2013
Saturday, June 8 (Mbombela Stadium): Scotland v Samoa; Springboks v Italy
Saturday, June 15 (Mr Price Kings Park): Samoa v Italy; Springboks v Scotland
Saturday, June 22 (Loftus Versfeld): Team 3 v Team 4 ; Team 1 v Team 2

Also will play SA back in South Africa in 2014

2014 Fixtures (dates to be confirmed):
• Castle Incoming Tour: Springboks v Wales (Johannesburg)
• Castle Incoming Tour: Springboks v Wales (Nelspruit)
• Castle Incoming Tour: Springboks v Scotland (Port Elizabeth)
jrp

Post by jrp »

I got a mail from the SRU yesterday saying a date at the end of Jan had been set aside for an A match - no venue or opponents known yet.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

jrp wrote:I got a mail from the SRU yesterday saying a date at the end of Jan had been set aside for an A match - no venue or opponents known yet.
Netherdale is already getting 2 U20 games. Aberdeen or Scotstoun maybe?
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Glasgow Warriors, in partnership with Glasgow Life, have agreed to extend the capacity of Scotstoun Stadium for the 1872 Cup clash against Edinburgh on Friday 21st December.

The additional capacity will be provided by a new, temporary, stand at the West end of the stadium. It will provide approximately 850 additional seats under roof cover and will bring the capacity of Scotstoun up to 7,000 for the oldest club match in the world. Tickets are priced at £20 Adults, £15 Concessions and £5 for Under 18s as long you book before midnight prior to the game.

The 1872 Cup matches between Glasgow and Edinburgh are always fiery, passionate affairs that reflect the longstanding rivalry between Scotland’s two largest cities. These are the two most attended professional rugby fixtures in Scotland each year. More than 22,000 attended the two matches last year with the second leg, at Firhill Stadium, a sell-out.

Another sellout crowd is anticipated for Warriors v. Edinburgh on 21st December with fewer than two and a half thousand tickets still available after the extended capacity.

Thanks to the new stand, there are plenty of excellent seats still available, as well as the great atmosphere of the covered standing terrace at the East end of the pitch.

Supporters are urged to book their tickets as soon as possible to guarantee their tickets to experience the 1872 Cup occasion at Scotstoun. Tickets can be purchased online through the website or over the phone at 0844 800 3490.

The Glasgow Warriors are going for a fourth straight 1872 Cup title with vital RaboDirect PRO12 points also up for grabs. Be there to be part of a capacity crowd that will create a real home field advantage for the Warriors.

Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone at 0844 800 3490.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

hp18 wrote:
jrp wrote:I got a mail from the SRU yesterday saying a date at the end of Jan had been set aside for an A match - no venue or opponents known yet.
Netherdale is already getting 2 U20 games. Aberdeen or Scotstoun maybe?
I can't see them using pittodrie particularly if it's free again
hp18

Post by hp18 »

McDairmid? Or however you spell it.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

hp18 wrote:McDairmid? Or however you spell it.
Not if it's free.
Coo

Post by Coo »

Interesting article by Massie. I think his academy idea is sound logic.
Published on Saturday 8 December 2012 00:58

THERE are immediate and long-term problems in Scottish rugby.

The immediate one is how to pull the national team, and also Glasgow and Edinburgh, out of their present slump. The long-term one is how to improve our youth structures and accelerate the development of young talent. Arguably there is also a medium-term one: how to improve at least the top level of the amateur club game and the passage from that to the professional one.

Addressing these different problems is difficult, but looking back to the days when we were good may offer some hints.

We should first recognise that we have always had to made the best use of a limited pool of talent. There have always been more players capable of playing successfully at international level in England, France and Wales, than here in Scotland.

This had one advantage. As Norman Mair used to write in these columns, we very rarely overlooked a talented player, and we often got more out of a player than his natural talent suggested he was capable of. We sometimes made a silk purse out of what had looked like a sow’s ear.

Nevertheless even our Grand Slam-winning teams of 1984 and 1990, and Colin Deans’s team of 1986-7 which I have always thought was better than either the 1984 or 1990 XV, contained a few players who would have been unlikely to have played international rugby if they had not been Scottish.

One reason for the success of these teams, and of the 1999 one that won the Five Nations, was the quality of leadership displayed by the captains, Jim Aitken, Deans, David Sole and Gary Armstrong – and one should add Finlay Calder, captain of the 1989 Lions, and perhaps Gavin Hastings, another Lions captain, to that list.

They were all captains who took the game, as it were, by the scruff of the neck. Scotland has lacked this driving inspirational leadership for years, perhaps because captains are now too subservient to coaches.

This is why many would like to see Al Kellock named as captain for the coming Six Nations, even though the set scrum always goes better when Jim Hamilton is at lock instead of him. His record as a leader at Glasgow is pretty good, despite last weekend’s horror show in Limerick.

One reason for our success in the 1980s was that we had formed competitive leagues before England, Ireland or Wales. This is something that can’t be repeated. However, above and beyond the club leagues, we also had the Inter-District Championship, which by the ’80s was extremely fiercely contested, and which attracted good crowds, even though it was perforce played at the worst time of the year. It served as a bridge between the club and international game, and competition for a place in your District side was often fierce, especially in the Borders.

One of the SRU’s worst mistakes when professionalism came in was to downgrade the Districts and to abandon the Inter-District championship. It should be revived because it gives club players something to aim at and an opportunity to play at what should be a higher level.

The Districts should also be made responsible for youth development and each should form its own academy. Perhaps there should now be five districts rather than four, because the expansion of the club game north of the Forth suggests that the old hybrid North-Midlands district should be split in two.

The proposal that Youth Academies should be the responsibility of the Districts won’t please some of the leading clubs who would prefer that they were responsible for youth development – and given money by the SRU for this purpose. This isn’t an entirely selfish view, if only because these clubs already attract ambitious youngsters from clubs in lower divisions. It’s also the case that the Premiership clubs in England and the Top 14 ones in France, have their own academies. But we are not here comparing like with like, since all these English and French clubs are fully professional.

The Districts are best suited to run academies because they represent all the clubs in their area. There are for instance many clubs in Glasgow, but the only Glasgow District club in the Scottish Premiership is Ayr, while there are only two city clubs, Hawks and Hillhead-Jordanhill in the National League. The Districts can also arrange to make use of university facilities in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling, Dundee, Aberdeen and Galashiels (where Heriot-Watt has a college).

The Districts are – or should be – competent at balancing the interests of clubs and young players. When we had a national academy, clubs were frequently irritated to be deprived of academy players, or to be told that they were permitted to field them for only half a game. Some academy members spent an awful lot of time in the gym, and far too little on the field which is where their skills are tested and refined. In some cases their development was visibly retarded.

Finally, basing the academies in the Districts would allow for a very competitive inter-District academy championship which would serve as a real testing ground for future international players. In short, reviving the Districts and giving them the autonomy they used to enjoy would reverse the centralising process evident since the game went professional at the top level, and serve as a much needed stimulus.
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/top ... -1-2681682
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Agree with most of that but not sure about splitting north and midlands into 2
jrp

Post by jrp »

OptimisticJock wrote:Agree with most of that but not sure about splitting north and midlands into 2
You missed his shite about Kellock being captain for the 6Ns?

Kellock against Tonga and Munster last week was a disgrace to the jerseys - he's a mincing lightweight who spends more time fluffing journalists than learning his job.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

jrp wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:Agree with most of that but not sure about splitting north and midlands into 2
You missed his shite about Kellock being captain for the 6Ns?

Kellock against Tonga and Munster last week was a disgrace to the jerseys - he's a mincing lightweight who spends more time fluffing journalists than learning his job.
Tbh i forgot it was in there. I read the article this morning and clearly dismissed that from my mind.
jrp

Post by jrp »

His idea about district academies already happens to a certain extent - the club YDOs all work under the direction of the Regional Development Managers.
Coo

Post by Coo »

jrp wrote:His idea about district academies already happens to a certain extent - the club YDOs all work under the direction of the Regional Development Managers.
I think that is the point, it needs to move on a level or two. Three or four even. The club game is dying, it needs a purpose, the B&I cup goes so far, but there needs to be a domestic competition that is seen to showcase the cream of the talent.
jrp

Post by jrp »

Coo wrote:
jrp wrote:His idea about district academies already happens to a certain extent - the club YDOs all work under the direction of the Regional Development Managers.
I think that is the point, it needs to move on a level or two. Three or four even. The club game is dying, it needs a purpose, the B&I cup goes so far, but there needs to be a domestic competition that is seen to showcase the cream of the talent.
As someone who has experience of the lower reaches of the rugby food chain (as you have Cooo) - it's not the youth development or club game that's the problem in Scottish rugby.