Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 748, 749, 750, 751, 752  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:06 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
frillage wrote:
To be pedantic DVdM will be left wing.
He certainly isn’t as bad under high ball as you seem to think and any team that goes in with that as one of their main tactics would be foolish. He has proved his ability to turn a loose kick into an attacking chance ( and finish several off).

Just don't see it, the kickers are so much better at international level.

How many really great towering international wings are there? The all blacks find one for a few years, Stockdale was on fire for a year but is he still one of the best in the world? North's injuries have seen him a pale replica of the teenager who burst onto the scene.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong but I'd be surprised if VdM is a top class international wing.

Being a winger for the All Blacks is a short career. How many players have they had over the last decade who were fantastic for a season or two, were then dropped for the next one off the production line and never returned?

Yeah agree but Julian Savea did drop off completely. And now they have Ben Lam scoring for fun for the Canes but aren't interested.

Big wingers at international level just don't have long careers.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:09 pm 

toocoldhere wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:
Ruaridh Jackson has retired. Always a favourite of mine. Sad to see him go. Was really good in his second spell at the Warriors and seemed to be perfectly at ease with the role he was asked to play in the team and wider squad.

Weegies need a fullback ASAP

I suspect Ollie Smith is on his way up the road from Ayr.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:03 pm 

Rugby isn't coming back this year, is it? :(

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:19 pm 

Callus Gibbons leaving the weegies. Starting to look a bit light in the backrow?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:59 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
Callus Gibbons leaving the weegies. Starting to look a bit light in the backrow?

Their whole squad is starting to look a bit on the thin side, isn't it? Surely they must have a load of arrivals to announce.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:24 pm 

robmatic wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

Their whole squad is starting to look a bit on the thin side, isn't it? Surely they must have a load of arrivals to announce.

Possibly thinning out with a view on the long game, finances squeezed across the board?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:28 pm 

Scotland v South Africa final from the Twickenham 7s is on tonight, Rugby World Sevens youtube.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:33 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
robmatic wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

Possibly thinning out with a view on the long game, finances squeezed across the board?

That's what i wondered. Offload players now as the prospect of playing rugby again in the near future is still a long way off and might not be back until 2021 given its high contact as a sport, not to mention no crowds, less appetite from sponsors etc hammering income. Makes sense to offload the NSQ players as they are not part of the overall national playing infrastructure.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:34 pm 

I have heard a story that the SRU are looking at some serious cost cutting. At this stage contingency planning, but entire programmes are up for scrutiny on the basis that it is better to fund fewer things properly than more inadequately. 7s are supposed to be under threat (again).

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:49 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
I have heard a story that the SRU are looking at some serious cost cutting. At this stage contingency planning, but entire programmes are up for scrutiny on the basis that it is better to fund fewer things properly than more inadequately. 7s are supposed to be under threat (again).

They'd be extremely negligent if they weren't. I would be surprised if the SRU don't have what is essentially a hierarchy of funding based on what brings them the most income or keeps their income streams properly resourced with half an eye on PR also. That probably looks something like: Men's National Team, Men's Pro Game, Academy system, Super6, Clubs and Communities, Men's Sevens, Women's National Team, Men's Youth Teams, Women's Youth Teams. For each of these they will have a minimum requirement to run the programme. It might not be right, it might not even be written down, but it will be something along thoses lines.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:50 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
robmatic wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

That's what i wondered. Offload players now as the prospect of playing rugby again in the near future is still a long way off and might not be back until 2021 given its high contact as a sport, not to mention no crowds, less appetite from sponsors etc hammering income. Makes sense to offload the NSQ players as they are not part of the overall national playing infrastructure.

I still have a sneaky feeling Mr Barclay will be taking Gibbin's place.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:59 pm 

Alba wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
robmatic wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

Chat on social media says it's Crosbie that will be replacing him.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:00 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
robmatic wrote:

Chat on social media says it's Crosbie that will be replacing him.

Where you getting that from?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:08 pm 

Quote:
Chat on social media says it's Crosbie that will be replacing him

Ignore this, it's just fans speculating.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:36 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Quote:

Was on Twitter. Someone claimed it would make sense for both clubs. For me it wouldn’t make much sense at the Embra end.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:11 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Quote:

Was on Twitter. Someone claimed it would make sense for both clubs. For me it wouldn’t make much sense at the Embra end.

Sounds like the same Glasgow fantasies about our back row we’ve been hearing for the last five years now. No way Cockers would let him go.

Also, I’m pretty sure Edinburgh will lose Ritchie next year, he’ll be offered more than we can match.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:18 pm 

Slightly off subject but if anyone in Embra is needing a gin top up I've used these guys a couple of times.

https://gindrop.co.uk

They are pretty slick and guarantee next day delivery. They have a good selection of quality gins and mixers, mostly Scottish based distillers. Prices are about average but when you throw delivery it makes good value. I have no involvement in their business, just a happy customer who wants to see local business do well.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:27 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Quote:

Imagine someone at the SRU trying to explain to Cockers that his pack is too strong.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:54 pm 

robmatic wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Quote:

Imagine someone at the SRU trying to explain to Cockers that his pack is too strong.

Yeah, I reckon they’ve had the conversation every year and agreed everything at a higher level, but when it gets to the end of the meeting they say, ‘ok, who’s going to tell Richard?’ and then decide to shelve it until next year.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:31 am 

CVC have paid £120m for a 28% share in the Pro14. Unions retain 72% share.

Money = good, losing some control to commercial interests = bad.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:54 am 

dargotronV.1 wrote:

Thoughts?

Good.

Commercial revenues are going to plummet. Let CVC take the hit.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:58 am 

Alba wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

They'd be extremely negligent if they weren't. I would be surprised if the SRU don't have what is essentially a hierarchy of funding based on what brings them the most income or keeps their income streams properly resourced with half an eye on PR also. That probably looks something like: Men's National Team, Men's Pro Game, Academy system, Super6, Clubs and Communities, Men's Sevens, Women's National Team, Men's Youth Teams, Women's Youth Teams. For each of these they will have a minimum requirement to run the programme. It might not be right, it might not even be written down, but it will be something along thoses lines.

Sevens at this point is a separate sport really. Sure it's a pathway of sorts and entertaining to watch but I think cutting the sevens does make sense for a 15s union. The Nicois and Washington deals should go first.

This is where commercial wizard Dodson should really show his worth. It's going to be a very tough few years for professional sport and I don't think every pro rugby club or rugby nation makes it out of this.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:54 pm 

Swinson has retired. Glasgow really looking thin on the ground.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:59 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

Thoughts?

Good.

What share does the SRU hold? I presume it’s minimum 25% (and not based on number of teams). I also presume Italy has a smaller share? £30m+ will be a big help over the next year, but the devil is in the detail. Is it all at once, will it be distributed to shareholders now (presuming there is a holding company) etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:01 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

Sevens at this point is a separate sport really. Sure it's a pathway of sorts and entertaining to watch but I think cutting the sevens does make sense for a 15s union. The Nicois and Washington deals should go first.

This is where commercial wizard Dodson should really show his worth. It's going to be a very tough few years for professional sport and I don't think every pro rugby club or rugby nation makes it out of this.

Nicois yes, but I don’t think there is any ongoing financial commitment to the DC shareholding, it’s an investment. Much better to hold than sell now, if you could even find a buyer.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:10 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
robmatic wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I reckon they’ve had the conversation every year and agreed everything at a higher level, but when it gets to the end of the meeting they say, ‘ok, who’s going to tell Richard?’ and then decide to shelve it until next year.

Problem is this is not normal times. If the Pro clubs are having to shave a good chunk off their budgets then the strategy might be non renewal of expensive contracts, encourage a few retirals/buy out of contracts, bring in younger cheaper guys from development pipelines and then spread the more experienced SQ guys still in contract across the two pro teams to balance out squads. They will still have to meet existing commitments/contracts signed prior to covid 19. I think the SRU have some hard decisions to make re budgets but as much as I would hate to lose Crosbie it makes sense to try and balance out the two squads in terms of experience, development of SQ players and opportunities to get game time. It might take a few years but we might see the development of a large number of young guys who will stand us in good stead going forward.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:17 pm 

Alba wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

Thoughts?

Good.

What share does the SRU hold? I presume it’s minimum 25% (and not based on number of teams). I also presume Italy has a smaller share? £30m+ will be a big help over the next year, but the devil is in the detail. Is it all at once, will it be distributed to shareholders now (presuming there is a holding company) etc.

An answer to my own question in the updated article:

Quote:
The investment will be distributed as an equal share across all four partners with each union receiving £30m each.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:36 pm 

4 partners, so doesn't include the Saffers?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:42 pm 

dpedin wrote:
Problem is this is not normal times. If the Pro clubs are having to shave a good chunk off their budgets then the strategy might be non renewal of expensive contracts, encourage a few retirals/buy out of contracts, bring in younger cheaper guys from development pipelines and then spread the more experienced SQ guys still in contract across the two pro teams to balance out squads. They will still have to meet existing commitments/contracts signed prior to covid 19. I think the SRU have some hard decisions to make re budgets but as much as I would hate to lose Crosbie it makes sense to try and balance out the two squads in terms of experience, development of SQ players and opportunities to get game time. It might take a few years but we might see the development of a large number of young guys who will stand us in good stead going forward.

Edinburgh have done that though - Barclay, Hickey, Scott all off the wage bill and they were three of the higher paid players. No big name replacements, back row is replace from within so more prominence for Crosbie, extra place taken by young guys coming through, replacement centre is from London Scottish with Dean and Taylor expected to step up, Jono Lance will have been a lot cheaper than Hickey. Ceccarelli also gone, replace from within.

We'll take a hit next year as well, I could see the likes of Nel not being accommodated and I think we'll lose Ritchie to a big offer from darn sarf.

Glasgow have only signed two players so far but neither Gray or Pieretto will be that cheap.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:57 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
replacement centre is from London Scottish with Dean and Taylor expected to step up,

Is that the young Saffer or a different signing?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:18 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
replacement centre is from London Scottish with Dean and Taylor expected to step up,

Is that the young Saffer or a different signing?

Different. late twenties Aussie. Squad player. Ventner is the young saffer, won't be on huge money right now, on an academy contract i think.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:26 pm 

So CVC will want to see the return on their investment, from broadcasting rights,is that correct? So do they get all broadcasting for a period of time, or 28% in perpetuity?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:41 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
So CVC will want to see the return on their investment, from broadcasting rights,is that correct? So do they get all broadcasting for a period of time, or 28% in perpetuity?

If they own 28% of the business they will be entitled to 28% of any dividend, assuming there is one.

The much speculated play is to, at some point down the line, move to a B&I league and significantly increase the TV money currently available through the separate leagues. Both leagues are currently behind paywalls so it's unlikely there is much to gain there unless there is significant structural change. Either that or CVC really do think they are just better at sales and can achieve more value from the product.

Honestly, I'm struggling to see where they will get their money back, I really don't see a huge growth in interest in club rugby across UK/Ire. The English game is well developed, the Irish provinces similar, the Welsh hate their regions and very few (even genuine rugby fans) in Scotland have any interest in the pro club game. Maybe the Welsh will start turning up / showing interest if the English are involved, but I don't think that is the golden bullet the Welsh all seem to think it is.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:22 am 

Alba wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

If they own 28% of the business they will be entitled to 28% of any dividend, assuming there is one.

The much speculated play is to, at some point down the line, move to a B&I league and significantly increase the TV money currently available through the separate leagues. Both leagues are currently behind paywalls so it's unlikely there is much to gain there unless there is significant structural change. Either that or CVC really do think they are just better at sales and can achieve more value from the product.

Honestly, I'm struggling to see where they will get their money back, I really don't see a huge growth in interest in club rugby across UK/Ire. The English game is well developed, the Irish provinces similar, the Welsh hate their regions and very few (even genuine rugby fans) in Scotland have any interest in the pro club game. Maybe the Welsh will start turning up / showing interest if the English are involved, but I don't think that is the golden bullet the Welsh all seem to think it is.

I'd personally love a B&I league, I could see that being massive in time in terms of interest.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:17 am 

Caley_Red wrote:
Alba wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

I'd personally love a B&I league, I could see that being massive in time in terms of interest.

Do you think? As I said, I'm not sure where the growth would come from.

England - would prefer to play English teams, interest will wane as Leinster win their 5th consecutive title.
Ireland - do they have much growth left, rugby is already massive there. Is the market worth a lot even if they do manage significant growth?
Wales - it will still be regions, even if they are playing the English. Probably the best bet for some growth but again, it's not exactly a huge market.
Scotland - I can't convince friends to come and watch an Edinburgh team packed with Scotland internationals play some of the biggest teams in Europe. Why would they be interested in the game with added English sides and players they don't know? Obviously anecdotal, but I have heard similar stories of disinterest from others.

Clearly CVC see something in it, so you must be part of a bigger group than I think, I just struggle to see it. Either that or they think they can convince the Saffas to leave the SANZAAR competitions and join a B&I league / 6N.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:46 am 

I'd prefer a B&I league to the current set up. Going by the Welsh on here they'd be more interest in that. I doubt it would have much bearing on us and the Irish though.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:29 am 

Alba wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

Thoughts?

Good.

Accordingto this article: https://www.onrugby.it/2020/05/22/pro14 ... el-torneo/
The FIR are equal partners in Celtic Rugby DAC and will get a share of the money, but it doesnt say how much of a share

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:31 am 

It doesn’t make sense to me that CVC would want a B&I league. They can make more value from two competing leagues and competition between them. If you want one league you put all the investment into the English premiership and then run the Pro14 into the ground before absorbing their most marketable teams.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:35 am 

Alba wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
Alba wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Do you think? As I said, I'm not sure where the growth would come from.

England - would prefer to play English teams, interest will wane as Leinster win their 5th consecutive title.
Ireland - do they have much growth left, rugby is already massive there. Is the market worth a lot even if they do manage significant growth?
Wales - it will still be regions, even if they are playing the English. Probably the best bet for some growth but again, it's not exactly a huge market.
Scotland - I can't convince friends to come and watch an Edinburgh team packed with Scotland internationals play some of the biggest teams in Europe. Why would they be interested in the game with added English sides and players they don't know? Obviously anecdotal, but I have heard similar stories of disinterest from others.

Clearly CVC see something in it, so you must be part of a bigger group than I think, I just struggle to see it. Either that or they think they can convince the Saffas to leave the SANZAAR competitions and join a B&I league / 6N.

Leinster will be over the salary cap. Maybe they wouldn't win every year?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:40 pm 

Isn’t rugby the 4th or 5th biggest sport in Ireland?

I’m just not in to pro club rugby and am completely unconvinced there is serious growth anywhere. Obviously CVC think there is, so who knows. In saying that I’d much rather go to a mini Murrayfield on a Friday night to watch Wasps, Bath, Gloucester etc than anyone currently in the pro 14 so maybe a B&I league is the way forward.

However, the Heineken Cup, or whatever it’s called now, is the only pro club rugby I go out of my way to watch and if you devalue that what are you left with?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 748, 749, 750, 751, 752  Next