The Official Scottish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
I like haggis

Re: The Official Scottish Rugby Thread

Post by I like haggis »

Especially as LS are going part time sending down academy kids who can then maybe do a placement in business so they have some experience post rugby would be astute.

The third pro team is down to no cash and mismanagement when the game went pro. And continues to this day to some extent. There's no real clear narrative of player development, rugby for fun, clubs Vs schools, rugby past uni and so on. The Super6 helps with the premiership being a mix of essentially semi pro teams horsing amateur teams but still very flawed.

If the player wages don't recover from this I can see a bit more potential though. The real error is not playing the A league in the Pro14 I think. Irish and Welsh clubs have 8 professional teams out to Scotland's 2!
slick

Post by slick »

I like haggis wrote:Especially as LS are going part time sending down academy kids who can then maybe do a placement in business so they have some experience post rugby would be astute.

The third pro team is down to no cash and mismanagement when the game went pro. And continues to this day to some extent. There's no real clear narrative of player development, rugby for fun, clubs Vs schools, rugby past uni and so on. The Super6 helps with the premiership being a mix of essentially semi pro teams horsing amateur teams but still very flawed.

If the player wages don't recover from this I can see a bit more potential though. The real error is not playing the A league in the Pro14 I think. Irish and Welsh clubs have 8 professional teams out to Scotland's 2!
I didn't know there was an A league.
Alba

Post by Alba »

Lock news:

Tim Swinson has come out of his (exceptionally brief) retirement to sign for Sarries. I wonder if that will change the complexion for Hunter-Hill.

Glasgow have apparently signed Hamish Bain from Stade Nicois.

In other news, ex-Scotland (and latterly England) youth cap Fraser Strachan has signed for Ealing. Might be worth keeping an eye on if he plays. Not as good as Northampton’s other two centres that played for Scotland at youth level (Dingwall and Hutchinson), but I think I remember him being decent enough
Alba

Post by Alba »

I see Devante Onojaife has also left Northampton with no destination noted. He was a Scotland U20 cap a couple of years ago. I wonder if he might be joining Glasgow? He was a fairly large back row at U20 level, something Glasgow could probably do with. He played 6 games for Saints last year.
topofthemoon

Post by topofthemoon »

Alba wrote:I see Devante Onojaife has also left Northampton with no destination noted. He was a Scotland U20 cap a couple of years ago. I wonder if he might be joining Glasgow? He was a fairly large back row at U20 level, something Glasgow could probably do with. He played 6 games for Saints last year.
It was 6 first team games across his whole career with Northampton - 2 last season; 3 in 2018/19; 0 in 2017/18; 1 in 2016/17. All as a sub. 2 games in the Premiership for a grand total of 13 minutes. He'd be a surprising pickup for Glasgow I'd say. Championship club would probably be a better fit.
slick

Post by slick »

topofthemoon wrote:
Alba wrote:I see Devante Onojaife has also left Northampton with no destination noted. He was a Scotland U20 cap a couple of years ago. I wonder if he might be joining Glasgow? He was a fairly large back row at U20 level, something Glasgow could probably do with. He played 6 games for Saints last year.
It was 6 first team games across his whole career with Northampton - 2 last season; 3 in 2018/19; 0 in 2017/18; 1 in 2016/17. All as a sub. 2 games in the Premiership for a grand total of 13 minutes. He'd be a surprising pickup for Glasgow I'd say. Championship club would probably be a better fit.
Yup, had a look at his highlights reel and he looks a typical big guy at junior level boshing everyone who wasn’t quite so good when everyone caught up. In saying that it’s still a good level, maybe a change of coach and scenery might help
Alba

Post by Alba »

topofthemoon wrote:
Ah, my mistake - I just saw a press release and took it at face value.
Alba

Post by Alba »

slick wrote:
topofthemoon wrote:
Yup, had a look at his highlights reel and he looks a typical big guy at junior level boshing everyone who wasn’t quite so good when everyone caught up. In saying that it’s still a good level, maybe a change of coach and scenery might help
That's more or less what I remember, but he doesn't really stand out much in my memory to be honest. There weren't many in that year group I remember thinking too much of, with the exclusion of McDowall.
topofthemoon

Post by topofthemoon »

Alba wrote:That's more or less what I remember, but he doesn't really stand out much in my memory to be honest. There weren't many in that year group I remember thinking too much of, with the exclusion of McDowall.
Quite a few Championship level players in there as well as a bunch who were in the Super 6 last season.

Sam Grahamslaw (LH prop), Marshall Sykes (lock) and Rory Darge (back row) will be full-time pro with Edinburgh next season. Sykes and Darge look like future internationals. Grahamslaw has the advantage of competing in a position which doesn't have huge depth.

Charlie Chapman (scrum half) went full-time with Gloucester at the start of the current season. Not sure how long his deal is for. Guy Graham has been with Newcastle for the last couple of seasons but not played a huge amount. Not confirmed if his contract's being extended. Kyle Rowe's been with Scotland 7s.

Pretty slim pickings after that. A few guys who might be on the borderline between Super 6 and a pro team squad player(eg Murphy Walker (LH/TH prop), Jamie Hodgson (lock) and Cameron Hutchison (centre).
Alba

Post by Alba »

topofthemoon wrote:
Alba wrote:That's more or less what I remember, but he doesn't really stand out much in my memory to be honest. There weren't many in that year group I remember thinking too much of, with the exclusion of McDowall.
Quite a few Championship level players in there as well as a bunch who were in the Super 6 last season.

Sam Grahamslaw (LH prop), Marshall Sykes (lock) and Rory Darge (back row) will be full-time pro with Edinburgh next season. Sykes and Darge look like future internationals. Grahamslaw has the advantage of competing in a position which doesn't have huge depth.

Charlie Chapman (scrum half) went full-time with Gloucester at the start of the current season. Not sure how long his deal is for. Guy Graham has been with Newcastle for the last couple of seasons but not played a huge amount. Not confirmed if his contract's being extended. Kyle Rowe's been with Scotland 7s.

Pretty slim pickings after that. A few guys who might be on the borderline between Super 6 and a pro team squad player(eg Murphy Walker (LH/TH prop), Jamie Hodgson (lock) and Cameron Hutchison (centre).
Darge the pick of those for me - I can't remember but I would guess he didn't play a huge amount in that team, he would have been very young? I've heard good things about Sykes, he'll have a tough time breaking into that Edinburgh team though.

Just looking at the squads, the 2017 year has 15 full-time pros by my count with five full Scotland internationals. I think the 2018 alumni will be hard pushed to get anywhere near that level of conversion. The 2019 group has a lot more potential though, I would be fairly confident now of at least 8 of those being successful top-level pros with most of those going on to full caps (McLean, Ollie Smith, Blain, McCallum, Chamberlain, Boyle, Henderson and Ashman).
topofthemoon

Post by topofthemoon »

Just to say that frillage is in hospital right now. We're not a praying kind of family but if you could maybe raise a glass to him and send some positive energy.
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

topofthemoon wrote:Just to say that frillage is in hospital right now. We're not a praying kind of family but if you could maybe raise a glass to him and send some positive energy.

As in, the poster?

Speedy recovery if so.
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

Callum Hunter-Hill signs at Sarries: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/53082987

With Itoje (likely) going to Leicester and George Kruis in Japan, seems like there will be a decent opp for Hunter-Hill, hopefully he can kick on and progress: would be great to see him and Cummings leading the locks in 3 to 4 years (Cummings almost there, in my view).
clydecloggie

Post by clydecloggie »

Caley_Red wrote:Callum Hunter-Hill signs at Sarries: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/53082987

With Itoje (likely) going to Leicester and George Kruis in Japan, seems like there will be a decent opp for Hunter-Hill, hopefully he can kick on and progress: would be great to see him and Cummings leading the locks in 3 to 4 years (Cummings almost there, in my view).
When we all go "wow, Sarries!" it's good to remember they'll be a cash-strapped Championship club rather than money-doped Galacticos. Still, always good to have a Scottish prospect playing outside of Scotland.
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

topofthemoon wrote:Just to say that frillage is in hospital right now. We're not a praying kind of family but if you could maybe raise a glass to him and send some positive energy.
Aah damn, may the sprightly young fellow get himself home asap
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Shit, all the best to him, for a speedy recovery.
Alba

Post by Alba »

Very sorry to hear that TOTM. All the best frillage, get well soon and I look forward to seeing you back on the bored very soon.
Lorthern Nights

Post by Lorthern Nights »

Alba wrote:
Very sorry to hear that TOTM. All the best frillage, get well soon and I look forward to seeing you back on the bored very soon.
Echo this and the others. Hope he gets back to form very soon. All the best.
dpedin

Post by dpedin »

Regards to Frillage and wish him a speedy recovery.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

All the best to him.
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

Aside from anything else, we need him here to hold the Bimbo's of the bored to account.
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/ta ... 14-restart

Pro 14 is back, 22nd of August, 2 x 1872 cup derbies and then the play offs.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Seems quite sensible I suppose. Couple of 'warm up' games before the semi's.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Glass raised, and very best wishes.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Anyone any notion of what the lockdown's done to plans for the 'Edinburgh Arms Park' for the pitches next to Murrayfield?

I recall there were some aggressive timelines for getting the stadium put together, which I'd assumed was on a temporary, scaffolding-like basis a la Bath so as to have something for 20/21. I've not heard much out of the club about it and I've not been near Murrayfield since February so no idea if earth's been broken or whatnot. Of course, they've more pressing concerns at the moment.

eta: Bad grammar. Again.
Last edited by inactionman on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Construction started again at the beginning of the week. Not sure when its likely to be finished though.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

emails through this afternoon about the options available for Edinburgh and Glasgow Season ticket Holders

1. get a pro rata credit +10% against next year's season ticket
2. leave the money as a contribution and get your name put up somewhere in the ground
3. get a pro rata refund

Option 2 for me.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Here's to a hopefully quick and full recovery.
slick

Post by slick »

Ahh shit, please keep us updated and I’ll will certainly be raising a glass this evening.

Was planning the email the plum over the weekend about meeting for distanced pint in the garden.
Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Get well soon Fella :thumbup:
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

All the best frillage. Does anyone actually know what is wrong. Presuming Covid but he is not exactly the typical victim.
Rossco

Post by Rossco »

OptimisticJock wrote:Construction started again at the beginning of the week. Not sure when its likely to be finished though.
https://www.theoffsideline.com/edinburg ... cba1185463

Offside line we’re saying there was 12 weeks work pre-Covid, so place your bets for new timeframe.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Rossco wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:Construction started again at the beginning of the week. Not sure when its likely to be finished though.
https://www.theoffsideline.com/edinburg ... cba1185463

Offside line we’re saying there was 12 weeks work pre-Covid, so place your bets for new timeframe.
:thumbup: Ironic that it might be completed but they'll maybe use Murrayfield anyway so the 3500 fans can distance
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

Excited to see what happens to the Irish teams in the Pro14 if the rucking laws from NZ are implemented over here. No going beyond to steal ball, no torpedoing, no side entry, no hold up tackles to create a maul and then collapse. Seems Munster especially would be changing their contact strategy sharpish.
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

I have only just noticed this.

Positive vibes from myself and Wee Weegie being sent.

Best wishes to all.
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

Shit, just seen about frillage. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. (Not necessarily Covid - I can attest that all the other stuff is still happening!)
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

I like haggis wrote:Especially as LS are going part time sending down academy kids who can then maybe do a placement in business so they have some experience post rugby would be astute.

I have been saying for many years that Scotland were particularly shafted by the timing of professionalism, quite apart from anything else. It happened very suddenly, just as the SRU had spent big on the complete rebuilding of Murrayfield. There was very little money left in the coffers, and so very little funding with which to set up the 4 original pro teams. The result was little in the way of early success and few people turning out to watch the teams. Eventually the strain of maintaining four teams who weren’t taking in significant gate receipts proved too great.

Now look at Ireland. They spent years wrangling over what to do about Lansdowne Rd, which meant that when the game went pro, they had money to get the provinces established properly, they had early success, started pulling in crowds, et cetera. Ireland and Scotland started from similar places, but 25 years on they are miles ahead of us.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Wishing him a speedy recovery :thumbup:
topofthemoon

Post by topofthemoon »

Well he's no deid yet! Out of intensive care now but still a long road to recovery. Thanks for all the messages, hopefully he'll be able to see them soon.
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

topofthemoon wrote:Well he's no deid yet! Out of intensive care now but still a long road to recovery. Thanks for all the messages, hopefully he'll be able to see them soon.
Not dead is much better than the alternative.