All things Rugby
OptimisticJock

Re: The Official Scottish Rugby Thread

Post by OptimisticJock »

Glad to hear it :thumbup:
slick

Post by slick »

topofthemoon wrote:Well he's no deid yet! Out of intensive care now but still a long road to recovery. Thanks for all the messages, hopefully he'll be able to see them soon.
Bloody hell. Intensive care?

What a fanny.

This is very good news, thanks for the update. Hope to hear from you soon frillage!

Are you guys related then?
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

topofthemoon wrote:Well he's no deid yet! Out of intensive care now but still a long road to recovery. Thanks for all the messages, hopefully he'll be able to see them soon.
That’s good news! Hope he makes a full recovery, in good time. A wee toast will be had this evening.
topofthemoon

Post by topofthemoon »

slick wrote:

What a fanny.

This is very good news, thanks for the update. Hope to hear from you soon frillage!

He's my wee brother (although still considerably taller than me!)
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Hang on. Are you not a weegie fan and him Embra?
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

slick wrote:

What a fanny.

I am sharing the :shock: at hearing he was in ITU. Am glad he is out now though.

Had no idea you were brothers... though Scottish rugby has a fine tradition of this, of course!
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

Raising a glass to him the now, by the way. :thumbup:
clydecloggie

Post by clydecloggie »

Had him in mind when I had a wee dram of Springbank 15 yesterday...glad to see it worked, although quite worried about having provided inadvertent evidence for religion.

But yeah...what's the game here topofthemoon - Weeg v Burgers between brothers seems a bit far-fetched. Are you guys from Falkirk or some other hellhole in the pick-your-side corridor?

And I've also been watching the Aotearoa business. Constant breakdown penalties although the players seem to be learning. I agree that if this gets implemented over here, the Irish are done for - Munster in particular. Ben O'Keeffe has been good as a ref - lots of explaining to the players, and doesn't shy away from handing out 30 penalties if it takes 30 penalties for the players to learn. Unsurprisingly, the commentators are already moaning about 'lack of entertainment' and too many stoppages etc.
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

Haven't been paying enough attention on these rule changes, would someone be kind enough to summarise the new laws?
clydecloggie

Post by clydecloggie »

dargotronV.1 wrote:Haven't been paying enough attention on these rule changes, would someone be kind enough to summarise the new laws?
It's not actually a law change - it was just decided to actually apply the existing laws around the breakdown very strictly. In particular going off your feet and coming in from the side are policed with zero tolerance, which is a massive change. Last week, both games had >30 penalties, the vast majority for breakdown offences. Yesterday's game was somewhere in the high 20's, I believe.

There have been a few actual law changes, the only one I can remember is that a red-carded player can be replaced after 20 minutes. Hasn't happened yet.
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

clydecloggie wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:Haven't been paying enough attention on these rule changes, would someone be kind enough to summarise the new laws?
It's not actually a law change - it was just decided to actually apply the existing laws around the breakdown very strictly. In particular going off your feet and coming in from the side are policed with zero tolerance, which is a massive change. Last week, both games had >30 penalties, the vast majority for breakdown offences. Yesterday's game was somewhere in the high 20's, I believe.

There have been a few actual law changes, the only one I can remember is that a red-carded player can be replaced after 20 minutes. Hasn't happened yet.
Aah OK, cheers.
Alba

Post by Alba »

First Glasgow signing announcement of the Wilson era and it's a resigning - Turner on a 2 year deal. A good bit of business IMO, Brown will retain the number 1 position for a while yet but Turner should start to challenge for the top spot over this contract.

With Brown already 31 it is extremely unlikely he will make the next World Cup. McInally will be 33 by the next one so he may also be a doubtful inclusion. On that basis, we very much need some more depth in the position. We could really do with Turner and at possibly one other (Ashman looks like he has a real chance) really stepping up and gaining some international experience over the next 3 or 4 years.
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

Alba wrote:First Glasgow signing announcement of the Wilson era and it's a resigning - Turner on a 2 year deal. A good bit of business IMO, Brown will retain the number 1 position for a while yet but Turner should start to challenge for the top spot over this contract.

With Brown already 31 it is extremely unlikely he will make the next World Cup. McInally will be 33 by the next one so he may also be a doubtful inclusion. On that basis, we very much need some more depth in the position. We could really do with Turner and at possibly one other (Ashman looks like he has a real chance) really stepping up and gaining some international experience over the next 3 or 4 years.
I'm generally a bit concerned about Glasgow: I think most would agree that Wilson is a substantial step back from Rennie (in terms of his achievements and reputation). Further, the club have bled many of their best players over the last few years and appear to be getting no business done. Front five is excellent and 9 through 13 looks decent but outside that, it's pretty threadbare.

Hope I am wrong and they get some good signings through the Summer period but I am not convinced about Wilson at all. Anyone able to assuage these fears or, at the very least, paint a positive outlook?
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Caley_Red wrote:
Alba wrote:First Glasgow signing announcement of the Wilson era and it's a resigning - Turner on a 2 year deal. A good bit of business IMO, Brown will retain the number 1 position for a while yet but Turner should start to challenge for the top spot over this contract.

I'm generally a bit concerned about Glasgow: I think most would agree that Wilson is a substantial step back from Rennie (in terms of his achievements and reputation). Further, the club have bled many of their best players over the last few years and appear to be getting no business done. Front five is excellent and 9 through 13 looks decent but outside that, it's pretty threadbare.

Hope I am wrong and they get some good signings through the Summer period but I am not convinced about Wilson at all. Anyone able to assuage these fears or, at the very least, paint a positive outlook?
I don’t think Rennie concentrated on squad depth while he was there. It’s not something they have to do a lot of in Super Rugby. So, as you say, there’s a good front five and 9-13, that can hang with anyone in the league. But the backrow recruitments didn’t work out and a few leavers in the back three have exposed it and left a legacy behind that it will take a few years to correct.
Alba

Post by Alba »

Caley_Red wrote:

Wilson I am not concerned about - Townsend was effectively 'unknown' as a top level coach when he took the job and there were plenty of doubters who thought it was SRU cronyism. Young/inexperienced coaches need their first chance at a top job somewhere. He has served a long apprenticeship, it's time for him to try the next level.

I do agree that they are short particularly at fullback (Bryce their own recognised proponent who is not an U20) and to a lesser extent at wing. The first and second choice wing options (Seymour, Steyn/Tagive; Jones, Niko) are fine for Pro14 level at least on paper, but they are ageing and if there are no replacements this year next year will be very short.

At lock it is hard to say if they are short or not until it is known if McDonald and Nakarawa are staying. Cummings, Gray, McDonald and Naka plus 1/2 youngsters (and Harley when required) is a good group. Take out McDonald and Naka and it is very short.

At back row the same is true. First a second choice back rows are good, and having Naka available also provides a further option taking total capable back row numbers to 9. Add in a couple of younger players and they should be set.

In many respects both Edinburgh and Glasgow will have to be cyclical, going through periods of bringing through new youth players effectively en-mass. Each time either is successful there will be a bleed of players to the French and English leagues (although this may lessen with current financial restrictions). Glasgow have been through one of these cycles already and now need to rebuild. Edinburgh have not yet been through one cycle and are currently in my opinion peaking. Over the next few years the top Edinburgh players will start to be attracted away (and the best club players will retire) and they will also go through the process Glasgow currently are of rebuilding. The nature of the SRU system and how 'shallow' it is will make persistent success far more difficult than for a team like Leinster who have a far deeper pool to draw from.
Alba

Post by Alba »

So Nakarawa stays, that makes a big difference to Glasgow's squad. Only a one year deal, but at 33/34 next year he may be short of too many offers. Perhaps he will retire at Glasgow.
dargotronV.1

Post by dargotronV.1 »

Matt Smith has retired. No injury, just says he no longer enjoys it and found it a chore to get up for training. Real shame, I liked him as a player, best of luck to the guy.
Steamin Beamin

Post by Steamin Beamin »

dargotronV.1 wrote:Matt Smith has retired. No injury, just says he no longer enjoys it and found it a chore to get up for training. Real shame, I liked him as a player, best of luck to the guy.
Sad to see a guy his age lose his passion for the game. I know there's a fair difference between playing professionally and being a fan, but I can relate. When I saw his announcement it dawned on me that I haven't missed rugby all that much :(
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

dargotronV.1 wrote:Matt Smith has retired. No injury, just says he no longer enjoys it and found it a chore to get up for training. Real shame, I liked him as a player, best of luck to the guy.
Shame he had a lot of potential. Still people become disillusioned with their careers all the time, hope he finds a career he enjoys.
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

Would he have retired, though, if he still had a pro contract? I can’t help but think that if we had a third pro team, he’d be staying in the game. Fair play to him for deciding it’s not what he wants any more, of course, and I wish him every success. But I’m not sure he would be retiring if he hadn’t been given a decision to make.
slick

Post by slick »

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Sad to see a guy his age lose his passion for the game. I know there's a fair difference between playing professionally and being a fan, but I can relate. When I saw his announcement it dawned on me that I haven't missed rugby all that much :(
I’ve missed going down to the local club and would have liked to see how we looked in the Wales game but haven’t even thought about the pro stuff
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

slick wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
I’ve missed going down to the local club and would have liked to see how we looked in the Wales game but haven’t even thought about the pro stuff
I haven't missed the pro stuff but equally I'd definitely watch it if it was on.
slick

Post by slick »

Any update of frillage, TOTM?
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Planning to watch the England games with my mates on zoom tonight, but I think we're going to start around 18:34.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Biffer29 wrote:Planning to watch the England games with my mates on zoom tonight, but I think we're going to start around 18:34.
From watching these so far, I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing more likely to make the current crop of England full backs shit themselves than a Scotland player running straight up the middle at them.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Cockers not in the market for another 10 outside of Scotland due to money constraints. Nothing we didn't already assume I suppose. Hopefully the young lads step up.

Also still seems keen to stay where he is.

https://www.theoffsideline.com/richard- ... ssion=true
topofthemoon

Post by topofthemoon »

slick wrote:Any update of frillage, TOTM?
He's back in intensive care as he needs a lot of monitoring. Doctors and nurses at the Western General amazing as you'd expect. They're being positive but he's a long way to go before he'll be getting out.
topofthemoon

Post by topofthemoon »

OptimisticJock wrote:Hang on. Are you not a weegie fan and him Embra?
Yeah. He keeps it quiet (so as not to scare his neighbours) but frillage is a Weegie born and bred. Moved to the far East just when the pro teams came into existence so picked up the bad habit of supporting Edinburgh...
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

topofthemoon wrote:
He's back in intensive care as he needs a lot of monitoring. Doctors and nurses at the Western General amazing as you'd expect. They're being positive but he's a long way to go before he'll be getting out.
All the best to him again
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

Cockers to remain at Embra, great news.

One eye on the Scotland job?
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Caley_Red wrote:Cockers to remain at Embra, great news.

Don’t think so. Sure he said something a few years ago about it and couldn’t see himself doing it. If he takes Edinburgh on to win the league and be competitive in Europe he might be in the frame for England post Eddie Jones. I think he wants to stay in one place until his kids have left school. Of course, by that time his kids will be Scottish qualified....
slick

Post by slick »

topofthemoon wrote:
Bloody hell, tough times

Of course you might rather not elaborate, which is absolutely fine, but is it Covid related?
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

slick wrote:
topofthemoon wrote:
Bloody hell, tough times

Of course you might rather not elaborate, which is absolutely fine, but is it Covid related?
How awful. Sending positive thoughts. I have no medical contacts in Edinburgh any more, but yell if you need help translating anything from medical into English?
slick

Post by slick »

Biffer29 wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:Cockers to remain at Embra, great news.

Don’t think so. Sure he said something a few years ago about it and couldn’t see himself doing it. If he takes Edinburgh on to win the league and be competitive in Europe he might be in the frame for England post Eddie Jones. I think he wants to stay in one place until his kids have left school. Of course, by that time his kids will be Scottish qualified....
I can see it happening, particularly if he does want to settle here for a few years. Perhaps with a young Scottish coach under his wing. I don’t think his face fits for England and you’d think he has international ambitions
topofthemoon

Post by topofthemoon »

slick wrote:
topofthemoon wrote:
Bloody hell, tough times

Not Covid. Western General's ITU discharged their last Covid patient over a week ago which is pretty encouraging.
topofthemoon

Post by topofthemoon »

Doc Rob wrote:
slick wrote:
topofthemoon wrote:
Bloody hell, tough times

How awful. Sending positive thoughts. I have no medical contacts in Edinburgh any more, but yell if you need help translating anything from medical into English?
Docs and nurses have been pretty good at setting out in layman's terms so far but thanks anyway.
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

topofthemoon wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
slick wrote:
topofthemoon wrote:
Bloody hell, tough times

Docs and nurses have been pretty good at setting out in layman's terms so far but thanks anyway.
Glad to hear it. I expected as much, but in such times you want to offer what you can :)
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

Just in case people don't see the thread- new link for the new forum: http://notplanetrugby.com/bored/

Thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99610
Doc Rob

Post by Doc Rob »

Registered, with a change of username (felt like the right time after 15 years!)

I never did quite figure out what was going to happen to the current bored. Is there an executive summary?
Steamin Beamin

Post by Steamin Beamin »

:thumbup:

Registered with a new username.