Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 746, 747, 748, 749, 750, 751, 752  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:15 pm 

Anyway..... same again lads?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:37 pm 

:lol: better make mine a double

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:23 pm 

FFS. I get it that for some people the independence debate is an itch they can't stop scratching. But does it have to be brought into every single debate?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:59 pm 

With regards to the pro 14, I see they are going to try and restart it during the Summer, details seem sketchy about what proportion of the remaining games are to be played but it makes more sense to me to just play the final: Leinster and Edinburgh are the two standout teams.

Also, is anyone aware of the confirmation of Scotland's summer tour games being cancelled? If the trans Tasman bubble opens up , could still make it for ABs vs Scotland.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:02 pm 

I could see it being a qf play off between the top 8

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:10 pm 

Noticing that many people who either aren’t from Scotland, or who don’t support Indy or the SNP, are recognising that Nicola Sturgeon’s response to the current crisis is far superior to anything coming out of London. It is pretty clear that you don’t have to be an SNP or a Yes supporter to see that her responses are infinitely more statesmanlike than Boris Johnson’s.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:19 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:

Struggling to recall how the QF component works- Leinster and Edinburgh go straight to home semis as they're top; Ulster play Scarlets at home in QF1; and, Munster play Glasgow at home in the other?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:22 pm 

Caley_Red wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

Struggling to recall how the QF component works- Leinster and Edinburgh go straight to home semis as they're top; Ulster play Scarlets at home in QF1; and, Munster play Glasgow at home in the other?

Normally works like that but that would severely disadvantage Embra and Leinster in their semi, I reckon top 4 from each conference playing off fairer.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:27 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

Normally works like that but that would severely disadvantage Embra and Leinster in their semi, I reckon top 4 from each conference playing off fairer.

Yeah, Edinburgh - Cheetahs would be a nice start but the SA gov't might not allow travel in time for the comp to restart!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:31 pm 

Caley_Red wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

Yeah, Edinburgh - Cheetahs would be a nice start but the SA gov't might not allow travel in time for the comp to restart!

Was forgetting about them.

Fvck it Leinster v Embra it is

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:33 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

Was forgetting about them.

Fvck it Leinster v Embra it is

Will need to get the Weegies to hold the tackle bags!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:35 pm 

Caley_Red wrote:
Will need to get the Weegies to hold the tackle bags!

Probably get a better training session just using the tackle bags by themselves.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:46 am 

Nothing to add to his thread other than to whinge about someone in our tenement throwing half a loaf of sliced bread into the garden for the seagulls to have a go at. Sounded like the opening hours of the Somme out there at 4:00 this morning.

I'm currently on zoopla looking for remote farmhouses in Fife.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:37 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
Noticing that many people who either aren’t from Scotland, or who don’t support Indy or the SNP, are recognising that Nicola Sturgeon’s response to the current crisis is far superior to anything coming out of London. It is pretty clear that you don’t have to be an SNP or a Yes supporter to see that her responses are infinitely more statesmanlike than Boris Johnson’s.

I dont really think it is a fair competition to be fair. Paul Gasgoigne on a bender would make a better fist of it than the Blonde Bumblecunt! He has no grasp of the facts and figures, can't string a coherent sentence together, throws in complete nonsense (Covid19 in water supply), when panicked resorts to a supercilious approach (speak french and then say I assume everyone knows what that means) or throws in bizarre analogies (treating covid19 hotspots like a game of Whack-a-mole). When presented with a structured and forensic analysis and questioning by Starmer, which is what he should expect, he ended up bluffing, ignoring the questions and talking shite. He is completely lost when he doesn't have the stage managed guffawing from the Brexit Ultras behind him and planned questions with predetermined answers. Without a Oxford Uni Debate Hall audience he is being shown up for what he is.

His performances to date has been disastrous and I wonder how long the Tory party and their backers will stay behind him? He looks like a man who can't cope and I wonder if the rumours about his alcohol problems and mental health issues are actually real? Were the long holidays and time away in the country house really for him to dry out and get rehab? Not sure i believe it but the longer they try and shield him - only 4 questions from the press in his version on the briefing the other night, only once has he addressed the HoC on covid19 - the more I grow suspicious.

Wee Nic has been clear and concise, doesn't dodge the hard questions, admits when she doesn't know things, has a grasp of the figures and shows real compassion and leadership. However to be fair she isn't doing anything that many of the better leaders are doing around the world in Germany, NZ, Ireland, etc. I suppose all she is doing is what we expect our leaders to do.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:43 am 

Caley_Red wrote:
With regards to the pro 14, I see they are going to try and restart it during the Summer, details seem sketchy about what proportion of the remaining games are to be played but it makes more sense to me to just play the final: Leinster and Edinburgh are the two standout teams.

Also, is anyone aware of the confirmation of Scotland's summer tour games being cancelled? If the trans Tasman bubble opens up , could still make it for ABs vs Scotland.

Aye right. I'll give you Leinster - their B-team is unbeaten, their A-team will walk it.

Edinburgh were having a nice season but are blessed by the weakness of Conf B. They're in the pack of Munster, Ulster, Cheetahs and Glasgow (on a good day), chasing Leinster.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:00 am 

clydecloggie wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:

Aye right. I'll give you Leinster - their B-team is unbeaten, their A-team will walk it.

Edinburgh were having a nice season but are blessed by the weakness of Conf B. They're in the pack of Munster, Ulster, Cheetahs and Glasgow (on a good day), chasing Leinster.

About right!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:02 am 

dpedin wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

I dont really think it is a fair competition to be fair. Paul Gasgoigne on a bender would make a better fist of it than the Blonde Bumblecunt! He has no grasp of the facts and figures, can't string a coherent sentence together, throws in complete nonsense (Covid19 in water supply), when panicked resorts to a supercilious approach (speak french and then say I assume everyone knows what that means) or throws in bizarre analogies (treating covid19 hotspots like a game of Whack-a-mole). When presented with a structured and forensic analysis and questioning by Starmer, which is what he should expect, he ended up bluffing, ignoring the questions and talking shite. He is completely lost when he doesn't have the stage managed guffawing from the Brexit Ultras behind him and planned questions with predetermined answers. Without a Oxford Uni Debate Hall audience he is being shown up for what he is.

His performances to date has been disastrous and I wonder how long the Tory party and their backers will stay behind him? He looks like a man who can't cope and I wonder if the rumours about his alcohol problems and mental health issues are actually real? Were the long holidays and time away in the country house really for him to dry out and get rehab? Not sure i believe it but the longer they try and shield him - only 4 questions from the press in his version on the briefing the other night, only once has he addressed the HoC on covid19 - the more I grow suspicious.

Wee Nic has been clear and concise, doesn't dodge the hard questions, admits when she doesn't know things, has a grasp of the figures and shows real compassion and leadership. However to be fair she isn't doing anything that many of the better leaders are doing around the world in Germany, NZ, Ireland, etc. I suppose all she is doing is what we expect our leaders to do.

That's the interesting bit. Starmer has started well and i think he is the perfect antidote to this whole personality driven bullshit we have seen in the UK and US.

Hunt would have been a far better leader for the tories, he might be disliked mostly because of his time in Health but he certainly isnt stupid and we would have had two very capable and intelligent leaders of the two main parties in Westminster as opposed to the two clowns in Boris and Corbyn. The only reason that Boris has the majority he has is because people really couldnt stomach Corbyn, Labour are already far more formidable and that will likely only increase as Starmer slowly but surely sheds the more radical elements in his shadow cabinet, couldnt do it straight away but the sense of direction is already there.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:51 am 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
dpedin wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

That's the interesting bit. Starmer has started well and i think he is the perfect antidote to this whole personality driven bullshit we have seen in the UK and US.

Hunt would have been a far better leader for the tories, he might be disliked mostly because of his time in Health but he certainly isnt stupid and we would have had two very capable and intelligent leaders of the two main parties in Westminster as opposed to the two clowns in Boris and Corbyn. The only reason that Boris has the majority he has is because people really couldnt stomach Corbyn, Labour are already far more formidable and that will likely only increase as Starmer slowly but surely sheds the more radical elements in his shadow cabinet, couldnt do it straight away but the sense of direction is already there.

I dont disagree and I think Hunt is playing a very interesting game at the moment. He has distanced himself somewhat from the current Gov and from Johnson only praising him with faint praise when required. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in power once they decide Johnson is toast and get rid of him. In the interim Starmer will destroy Johnson slowly and surely by his detailed and statesman like approach and exposing him for the buffoon we know he is.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:56 am 

inactionman wrote:
Nothing to add to his thread other than to whinge about someone in our tenement throwing half a loaf of sliced bread into the garden for the seagulls to have a go at. Sounded like the opening hours of the Somme out there at 4:00 this morning.

I'm currently on zoopla looking for remote farmhouses in Fife.

Things must be bad if you want to move to Fife

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:29 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
dpedin wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

I'm still pretty sure that Starmer, along with every other Labour worthy south of the border, doesn't really understand why they've done so badly in Scotland for the last ten years.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:50 pm 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... -lockdown/

This is a stones throw for me, I'll happily pish on the lot of the anti-vaccer knobs if they wake me from my night shift.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:02 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/1318969/coronavirus-mass-gatherings-planned-in-dundee-and-fife-parks-to-protest-at-lockdown/

This is a stones throw for me, I'll happily pish on the lot of the anti-vaccer knobs if they wake me from my night shift.

I could almost understand their need to protest the lockdown, maybe not their method of protest but they totally lost me on antivax :uhoh: Muppets

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:01 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/1318969/coronavirus-mass-gatherings-planned-in-dundee-and-fife-parks-to-protest-at-lockdown/

I could almost understand their need to protest the lockdown, maybe not their method of protest but they totally lost me on antivax :uhoh: Muppets

I feel they may end up pushing the definition of 'mass'.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:35 pm 

dpedin wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
dpedin wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

I dont disagree and I think Hunt is playing a very interesting game at the moment. He has distanced himself somewhat from the current Gov and from Johnson only praising him with faint praise when required. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in power once they decide Johnson is toast and get rid of him. In the interim Starmer will destroy Johnson slowly and surely by his detailed and statesman like approach and exposing him for the buffoon we know he is.

Hunt the cünt was making a big play for the leadership before, and the truly awful thing is that he wasn’t the worst option, as Johnson is proving daily. He is every bit as much of a proven liar as Johnson though (I know this is standard for a Tory, but still). He told a catalogue of appalling lies about the NHS and his entirely mythical ‘weekend effect’ in order to try to get a massive uplift in out of hours medical cover without having to pay for it. In the end he provoked a strike, which was resolved by him saying ‘well, we’re the government, so we can just have whatever we want anyway’. Any half decent union would have had him for breakfast. Unfortunately doctors are saddled with the BMA.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:29 am 

https://www.theoffsideline.com/waiting- ... cba1185463

I thought the Super 6 was there to help develop our own players, not bring over SQ Kiwis on what's effectively an extended trial to see if they are good enough for Edinburgh or Glasgow.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:33 am 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
https://www.theoffsideline.com/waiting-game-for-watsonians-recruit-angus-williams-after-lockdown-scuppers-super6-debut/?v=79cba1185463

I thought the Super 6 was there to help develop our own players, not bring over SQ Kiwis on what's effectively an extended trial to see if they are good enough for Edinburgh or Glasgow.

This guy is Scottish or his mum is.

The Super 6 is to raise the standards of club rugby so our young players are playing high standard games week in week out. No longer are prospects playing for an essentially semi pro Melrose or Ayr vs some amateur no hoper like Marr or Accies.

The Super6 without guys like this and others just wouldn't work.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:39 am 

I like haggis wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
https://www.theoffsideline.com/waiting-game-for-watsonians-recruit-angus-williams-after-lockdown-scuppers-super6-debut/?v=79cba1185463

The Super 6 is to raise the standards of club rugby so our young players are playing high standard games week in week out. No longer are prospects playing for an essentially semi pro Melrose or Ayr vs some amateur no hoper like Marr or Accies.

I could understand it if he were, say, 20 but at 26 surely the most he's got to hope for is a Gla/Edi squad filler during the international window.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:57 am 

slick wrote:
Birdy wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52617895

From the BBC - Coronavirus: Earlier Scottish lockdown 'could have prevented 2,000 deaths'

If this is true could we see a negligence case brought against Nippy

No. This kind of stuff from the media is ridiculous, they are one group that are going to come out of this looking like arseholes.

I see Mundell was gleefully telling people they could cross the border and not be in breach of any laws. He is a snivelling little prick.

The thing about the Nike conference is nonsense. My youngest has a part time job with Nike and they actually closed all their UK shops and offices well before anyone else as a result of this. My daughter has a copy of the press release they issued.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:02 am 

Doc Rob wrote:

She has been very good at her press briefings and other media appearances but I don't think we should be congratulating her too much. England'd death toll has been dropping by about 20% week on week for the last 3 weeks, whereas we have only just had our first small fall. Also the care homes are clearly going to be a national shame that she will struggle to spin.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:07 am 

I like haggis wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

He's 26 and played a little bit of Mitre 10 rugby, surely we have our own players at least on the same level? Mind you, I won't be bitching if he turns out to be a bit more like Thomas Gordon and less like Hugh Blake.

On a different matter now and if I'm in the minority I'll shut up. But can we have a separate Scottish politics thread? I can't be arsed with it on a rugby forum.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:42 am 

BlackMac wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

She has been very good at her press briefings and other media appearances but I don't think we should be congratulating her too much. England'd death toll has been dropping by about 20% week on week for the last 3 weeks, whereas we have only just had our first small fall. Also the care homes are clearly going to be a national shame that she will struggle to spin.

Falling 'death toll' is a false measure - Englands excess death rate year to date peaked about double the rate in Scotland, NI and Wales so it would be surprising and very, very worrying if their numbers weren't falling faster. Through a combination of a range of factors we managed to squash the peak more successfully. They still have some way to go to achieve the devolved countries rates.

However I agree that the care homes fiasco is the major failure, for her and the rest of the UK. I still think that they were seen as 'collateral damage' in rush to protect the NHS and any attempts to rescue the situation were too little and too late. However no surprise really when you look at how successive Govs have stripped the care sector of resources, skills and staffing.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:58 am 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

He's 26 and played a little bit of Mitre 10 rugby, surely we have our own players at least on the same level? Mind you, I won't be bitching if he turns out to be a bit more like Thomas Gordon and less like Hugh Blake.

On a different matter now and if I'm in the minority I'll shut up. But can we have a separate Scottish politics thread? I can't be arsed with it on a rugby forum.

Risky manoeuvre, it would get incessantly trolled by all the Scottish Independence experts from elsewhere but can see the logic to keep politics away from here.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:12 am 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

Risky manoeuvre, it would get incessantly trolled by all the Scottish Independence experts from elsewhere but can see the logic to keep politics away from here.

Wasn't here during that whole debate but I could probably guess the top 10 outside contributors :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:21 am 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

A lot of the guys on his level will be in the Super6. I listened to Gordy Reid say on this Thistle that he didn't think the super 6 is suitable for breeding tight 5 forwards. You lack that technician or monster in other leagues. Think this helps with that too. If watsonians have an exciting Scottish kid at 3 (they don't Stanley left) maybe it's bad. But then if Scottish players can outplay Mitre 10 journeymen how are they going to make pro rugby?

I also think Hugh Blake gets a raw deal - it's not his fault Cotter picked him for Scotland. A backrow turned 13 turned 7s captain who won us two cups at Twickenham even if he was a kiwi in other circumstances would be a cult hero.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:38 am 

Wash your mouth out, it was sevens legends Scott Wight and Scott Riddell that led us to victory those years

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:45 am 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

Didn't used to get raised much when we had other things to moan about, I'm sure it will die away again when the rugby is back.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:18 pm 

frillage wrote:
Wash your mouth out, it was sevens legends Scott Wight and Scott Riddell that led us to victory those years

Oh my bad Blake was captain at some point though wasn't he?

In any case a great sevens player. Scored a try in the final Vs England. He gets chastised unnecessarily.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:27 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
frillage wrote:

Oh my bad Blake was captain at some point though wasn't he?

In any case a great sevens player. Scored a try in the final Vs England. He gets chastised unnecessarily.

Think he captained a few.
I still think was better player than was given credit for, 7s and 15s. Suffered from being Chainsawed on arrival in fans opinions and I think did no favours to him. Should have been allowed to bed in as a player and find his feet in a new country.

(Those two years were my best experiences of Twickenham, even if English mates couldn’t cope with two days on sauce and didn’t show up for Sunday both years)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:59 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:

Organised by Britain First far right nonces it seems.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:54 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:

I think she is a very skilled politician who is great at public speaking and presenting the impression of supreme competence...has she joined Labour instead of getting involved with nationalism I think she would be a senior member of government or even PM by now. I find it hilerous that the Cherry/Salmond wing of the SNP want to try and bring her down...what are they on?

I would quibble that the actual facts on the ground show that she has actually done any better and in some ways the metrics in Scotland are worse (infection rates, care home deaths and testing) despite a massive advantage in terms of population density.

Also I think a number of questions about the Nike conference, guidance to care homes and her judgement over the SCMO that a more critical press would be pressing her on.

It also annoys me that so many outside Scotland give her and the SNP a free pass - a certain of the press that see the break up of the UK as a fitting punishment for the current political establishment rather than Brexit on steroids.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 746, 747, 748, 749, 750, 751, 752  Next