Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 9:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30044 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 747, 748, 749, 750, 751, 752  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:04 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
https://www.theoffsideline.com/waiting-game-for-watsonians-recruit-angus-williams-after-lockdown-scuppers-super6-debut/?v=79cba1185463

I thought the Super 6 was there to help develop our own players, not bring over SQ Kiwis on what's effectively an extended trial to see if they are good enough for Edinburgh or Glasgow.

This guy is Scottish or his mum is.

The Super 6 is to raise the standards of club rugby so our young players are playing high standard games week in week out. No longer are prospects playing for an essentially semi pro Melrose or Ayr vs some amateur no hoper like Marr or Accies.

The Super6 without guys like this and others just wouldn't work.

He's 26 and played a little bit of Mitre 10 rugby, surely we have our own players at least on the same level? Mind you, I won't be bitching if he turns out to be a bit more like Thomas Gordon and less like Hugh Blake.

On a different matter now and if I'm in the minority I'll shut up. But can we have a separate Scottish politics thread? I can't be arsed with it on a rugby forum.

Risky manoeuvre, it would get incessantly trolled by all the Scottish Independence experts from elsewhere but can see the logic to keep politics away from here.

Yeah. The bored convention that national threads are left alone is the only reason we don’t get trolled here. A separate thread would be open season. Shame though.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:34 am 

Toonie in The Offside Line this morning pretty much confirming DVdM, VDV and Kebble will all be capped asap when internationals return:

https://www.theoffsideline.com/gregor-t ... cba1185463

I think Duhan will go on to be a fantastic player for us and add a real point of difference in attack, and Kebble will keep the seat warm until Shoeman is available, but I don't see VDV being much more than a squad player and occassional bench warmer when we have injuries.

Picking three from Hogg, Kinghorn, Graham, Maitland, Duhan will be tough. Loads of versatility too, 4 that can play fullback and four that can play wing.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:40 am 

Alba wrote:
Toonie in The Offside Line this morning pretty much confirming DVdM, VDV and Kebble will all be capped asap when internationals return:

I think Duhan will go on to be a fantastic player for us and add a real point of difference in attack, and Kebble will keep the seat warm until Shoeman is available, but I don't see VDV being much more than a squad player and occassional bench warmer when we have injuries.

Picking three from Hogg, Kinghorn, Graham, Maitland, Duhan will be tough. Loads of versatility too, 4 that can play fullback and four that can play wing.

I personally don't see VdW as anything other than a 4th/5th choice 10: Weir is better, imo, and I would prioritise bringing in a young 10 over the next 2-3 years (Chamberlain seems the obvious candidate). The other three, however, I am very much looking forward to seeing in action.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:49 pm 

Caley_Red wrote:
Alba wrote:

I personally don't see VdW as anything other than a 4th/5th choice 10: Weir is better, imo, and I would prioritise bringing in a young 10 over the next 2-3 years (Chamberlain seems the obvious candidate). The other three, however, I am very much looking forward to seeing in action.

Yeah, I'd agree with all this.

On another note, I saw the police sitting at the entrance to the car park at the bottom of Arthurs Seat this morning handing out fines to anyone that turned in. Was quite amusing to be honest.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:56 pm 

Caley_Red wrote:
Alba wrote:

I’d agree Weir is probably better but what VdW has going for him is being part of the Scottish system. More access for training, more familiar partnerships, more access to Scotland coaching team. I expect VdW to overtake Weir on that basis. Agreed that hopefully Chamberlain takes his chance at Edinburgh and becomes another option to challenge Finn.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:05 pm 

Summer tours are unsurprisingly off. South Africa and New Zealand in particular will be relieved, they were on for a right hiding (to nothing)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:21 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Summer tours are unsurprisingly off. South Africa and New Zealand in particular will be relieved, they were on for a right hiding (to nothing)

Immediately post WC is theoretically the best time to get the ABs - they really gear their whole set up to WC cycles so would be 'weakest' at this point. It's a World Rugby conspiracy to steal a memorable victory from us for sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:46 pm 

Alba wrote:

Not sure about VdM. A lot less space in internationals and a lot more tactical responsibility. If I'm England or Ireland I'd rain kicks down on him and see what happens.

He reminds me a lot of Tim Visser, I guess he had a successful international career but never really excelled.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:04 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:

Not sure about VdM. A lot less space in internationals and a lot more tactical responsibility. If I'm England or Ireland I'd rain kicks down on him and see what happens.

He reminds me a lot of Tim Visser, I guess he had a successful international career but never really excelled.

Tough crowd, Visser was our first genuine strike weapon at a time couldn’t buy a try (before Hogg and Seymour came along to fill back three)

VdM is much more a player than Visser and has/uses his physical attributes in a much better way on the pitch.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:55 pm 

I would say a more important part of the article is Pieter de Villiers becoming full time scrum coach.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:33 pm 

Let’s talk about Huw Jones.

Not for the first time I find myself thinking “What happened to this guy? He stormed onto the scene from Stormers and looked like a Lion in waiting. First centre on our team sheet amongst some very good competition.

I’ve put myself through the torture of watching the rugby pass “Rugby Players Play FIFA” videos (if you haven’t watched them I wouldn’t waste your time) and he seems like a nice, quiet guy. Dull as dishwater mind.

I wonder if his confidence was shot from the time he was pretty much singlehandedly blamed for our loss through two missed tackles? That said I seem to recall Jones himself being asked about it and his answer seemed to be a very confident “My defence is actually quite good” sort of reply.

Perhaps he is just awkward to manage/coach? He just doesn’t come across that way.

Has the move to Scotland impacted him in some way? Not enjoying his time over here?

I have a memory a Rennie saying he needs to improve in terms of creating tries for others. Is that limiting his game time and that’s the issue?

Basically I just want that Huw Jones of a couple years ago back. Does anyone have any thoughts or insider info?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:37 pm 

https://twitter.com/Scotlandteam/status ... 73538?s=20

Tonight FYI

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:41 pm 

Let’s talk about George Horne.

I have no idea what this wee pocket rockets try rate is, but it feels like he grabs a couple every game.

We have some good stats on work rate for forwards, tackles made, rucks hit etc. I feel like there should be a similar one for backs – “Number of times in support” or something like that.

When watching a match if Hogg gets the ball my eyes dart towards the opposition defence, and if it looks even a little fractured I’m thinking “Here we go.”

When one of our players breaks the line I’m looking at who’s in support. It’s G Horne, Oh its G Horne again, who’s it this time… G Horne.

He’s had some moments of inspired genius to back up his work rate.

That said he’s also shown himself to be quite green and to not quite have the full scrum half bag of tricks yet.

Is he due to be up there with the Dupont’s of this world or play second fiddle to Ali Price?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:43 pm 

Let’s talk about Jamie Richie.

This one is short. Despite seeing some superb stuff, am I wrong to think that there is even more to come from this young man?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:26 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
I would say a more important part of the article is Pieter de Villiers becoming full time scrum coach.

Oh that's good news

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

Oh that's good news

It is, he is a good man, but still has that slightly psycho French/Saffa front rower about him to put the fear up the young lads.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:46 pm 

C T wrote:

This one is short. Despite seeing some superb stuff, am I wrong to think that there is even more to come from this young man?

You’re not wrong. Absolute cracker of a player, proper dog on him and winds up opposition players and fans. I enjoy talking to Irish fans and comparing him to POM and watching their wee faces as they struggle with trying to defend O’Mahoney being a dirty bastard.

Ritchie is still only 23.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:21 pm 

frillage wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:

Tough crowd, Visser was our first genuine strike weapon at a time couldn’t buy a try (before Hogg and Seymour came along to fill back three)

VdM is much more a player than Visser and has/uses his physical attributes in a much better way on the pitch.

TBH wing is a weak position for us just now. VdM will give us another option there, and even if he is a bit Visser-esque, that’ll do me. Visser himself didn’t do that badly. 35-odd caps and 14 tries, including a brace against NZ in his second cap. Yes, he couldn’t defend, but still.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:53 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
frillage wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:

TBH wing is a weak position for us just now. VdM will give us another option there, and even if he is a bit Visser-esque, that’ll do me. Visser himself didn’t do that badly. 35-odd caps and 14 tries, including a brace against NZ in his second cap. Yes, he couldn’t defend, but still.

I would say lacking depth. With Graham and Maitland fit we’re good, but when one is injured (as this year) the drop off is huge.

My main worry about VdM at international level is they way he goes into contact very upright. He’ll get held up a lot more at the higher level. Great option to have though, another completely different style from our other wings.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:09 am 

Biffer29 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
frillage wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:

I would say lacking depth. With Graham and Maitland fit we’re good, but when one is injured (as this year) the drop off is huge.

My main worry about VdM at international level is they way he goes into contact very upright. He’ll get held up a lot more at the higher level. Great option to have though, another completely different style from our other wings.

If Duhan is the player we all hope, we will have 4 players all more than competent at international level for two positions (Graham, Maitland, Kinghorn, Duhan). Behind that we have a couple of squad fillers who can do a job in an absolute emergency (McGuigan, Steyn). That feels not too bad to me, certainly not a scraping the barrel scenario.

One or two more needed in the next few years to replace Maitland and McGuigan as they inevitably decline/retire, but we have time before that becomes a serious issue (unless Maitland decides to retire early).

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:48 pm 

C T wrote:
Let’s talk about Huw Jones.

Not for the first time I find myself thinking “What happened to this guy? He stormed onto the scene from Stormers and looked like a Lion in waiting. First centre on our team sheet amongst some very good competition.

I’ve put myself through the torture of watching the rugby pass “Rugby Players Play FIFA” videos (if you haven’t watched them I wouldn’t waste your time) and he seems like a nice, quiet guy. Dull as dishwater mind.

I wonder if his confidence was shot from the time he was pretty much singlehandedly blamed for our loss through two missed tackles? That said I seem to recall Jones himself being asked about it and his answer seemed to be a very confident “My defence is actually quite good” sort of reply.

Perhaps he is just awkward to manage/coach? He just doesn’t come across that way.

Has the move to Scotland impacted him in some way? Not enjoying his time over here?

I have a memory a Rennie saying he needs to improve in terms of creating tries for others. Is that limiting his game time and that’s the issue?

Basically I just want that Huw Jones of a couple years ago back. Does anyone have any thoughts or insider info?

He can't pass or defend the outside channel to international standard. I think he's more suited to wing.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:12 am 

Biffer29 wrote:
C T wrote:

You’re not wrong. Absolute cracker of a player, proper dog on him and winds up opposition players and fans. I enjoy talking to Irish fans and comparing him to POM and watching their wee faces as they struggle with trying to defend O’Mahoney being a dirty bastard.

I would prefer if Ritchie would be a bit more subtle with some of the aggressive stuff. He strikes me as a well brought up lad desperately trying to create an image rather than a genuine hard bastard who quietly gives out the rough stuff without drawing too much attention.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:47 am 

BlackMac wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
C T wrote:

I would prefer if Ritchie would be a bit more subtle with some of the aggressive stuff. He strikes me as a well brought up lad desperately trying to create an image rather than a genuine hard bastard who quietly gives out the rough stuff without drawing too much attention.

To be honest I don't see that. I think the only reason that it's commented on is because he's Scottish. If an Irish or English or Welsh player did exactly the same it'd hardly be commented on but because they've got used to us being doormats they scream about it when we do back to them what they do to us.

He's had three yellow cards in 70 odd games for Edinburgh, none in the last two seasons, and not had one for Scotland in 19 tests for Scotland. So ref's aren't seeing it, it's being hyped by other countries because they don't like it. Don't buy into Irish / English bullshit.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:13 am 

Biffer29 wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
C T wrote:

To be honest I don't see that. I think the only reason that it's commented on is because he's Scottish. If an Irish or English or Welsh player did exactly the same it'd hardly be commented on but because they've got used to us being doormats they scream about it when we do back to them what they do to us.

He's had three yellow cards in 70 odd games for Edinburgh, none in the last two seasons, and not had one for Scotland in 19 tests for Scotland. So ref's aren't seeing it, it's being hyped by other countries because they don't like it. Don't buy into Irish / English bullshit.

Perfectly capable of making my own assessment. In my opinion he is not the hard enforcer some believe he is and to be honest it's not something the modern really requires. Superb player, but quite happy for him to prove his 'dog' the way Hamish Watson does and not by rushing into confrontations with a snarly face.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:20 am 

frillage wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:

Going forward I agree but in defence and a tactical kicking game which wingers need to play at international level to a very high standard I'm just not sure. If I'm playing Scotland and VdM is on the right wing I want my 9,10 and 15 to rain high balls down on him.

I kind of agree about Visser - but in 2012 we already had Maitland and Hogg. We're going to look back on 2010s and think Hogg, Maitland, Seymour and maybe the arising of Sir Darcy in the back 3 and Visser as an Edinburgh legend but never really got it at internationals.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:31 am 

To be pedantic DVdM will be left wing.
He certainly isn’t as bad under high ball as you seem to think and any team that goes in with that as one of their main tactics would be foolish. He has proved his ability to turn a loose kick into an attacking chance ( and finish several off).

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:02 am 

slick wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
Alba wrote:

Yeah, I'd agree with all this.

On another note, I saw the police sitting at the entrance to the car park at the bottom of Arthurs Seat this morning handing out fines to anyone that turned in. Was quite amusing to be honest.

Just looked in to see how you guys are getting on and saw this, my nephew and his partner plus the dog do a mile or two up the seat.
Are they going to be fined? they live close by.
You'll notice I didn't type up Arthurs.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:07 am 

Was those driving that were fined.
The park is open as usual for those on foot.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:54 am 

frillage wrote:
He certainly isn’t as bad under high ball as you seem to think and any team that goes in with that as one of their main tactics would be foolish. He has proved his ability to turn a loose kick into an attacking chance ( and finish several off).

Just don't see it, the kickers are so much better at international level.

How many really great towering international wings are there? The all blacks find one for a few years, Stockdale was on fire for a year but is he still one of the best in the world? North's injuries have seen him a pale replica of the teenager who burst onto the scene.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong but I'd be surprised if VdM is a top class international wing.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:11 pm 

frillage wrote:
Was those driving that were fined.
The park is open as usual for those on foot.

Yup, this.

Going to be interesting this week with the warm weather coming

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:13 pm 

A look forward to how the Glasgow's Depth Chart is shaping up for whenever it is that rugby actually returns...About 80% signed but still some players to be confirmed.

https://wp.me/p68WtH-8lY

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:17 pm 

bit of amazed with Matt Smith was let go at Glasgow. With Fusaro over hill and bit lightweight and Gibbings out of contract at the end of the season the decision looks bit of strange

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:18 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
frillage wrote:

Just don't see it, the kickers are so much better at international level.

How many really great towering international wings are there? The all blacks find one for a few years, Stockdale was on fire for a year but is he still one of the best in the world? North's injuries have seen him a pale replica of the teenager who burst onto the scene.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong but I'd be surprised if VdM is a top class international wing.

Being a winger for the All Blacks is a short career. How many players have they had over the last decade who were fantastic for a season or two, were then dropped for the next one off the production line and never returned?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:42 am 

topofthemoon wrote:
A look forward to how the Glasgow's Depth Chart is shaping up for whenever it is that rugby actually returns...About 80% signed but still some players to be confirmed.

https://wp.me/p68WtH-8lY

Informative and interesting as always.

It's a bit concerning to see Thornton and Nicol so far down the pecking order, at this point in their careers they really need to start picking up a decent number of minutes. Even during international periods it is likely they will both fail to even bench without injuries. Thornton in particular, behind 3 (currently) no SQ players is not great. Both looked excellent at U20 level.

In the back three there could be significant redrawing of the depth chart by the end of the year (assuming the season takes place). The two you have picked out (Smith and McLean) have sufficient talent to be in and around the first 15 by the end of the season. Poor Robbie Nairn just can't catch a break, I expect him to be supplanted, and Tagive potentially as well, by the young guns. Seymour to wing and a Smith / McLean / Seymour wings on strings system by 2022?!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:54 am 

unionfan wrote:
bit of amazed with Matt Smith was let go at Glasgow. With Fusaro over hill and bit lightweight and Gibbings out of contract at the end of the season the decision looks bit of strange

I agree, I think he is a great player who just got injured at the wrong time. I would have him in squad in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:59 pm 

Ruaridh Jackson has retired. Always a favourite of mine. Sad to see him go. Was really good in his second spell at the Warriors and seemed to be perfectly at ease with the role he was asked to play in the team and wider squad.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:04 pm 

clydecloggie wrote:
Ruaridh Jackson has retired. Always a favourite of mine. Sad to see him go. Was really good in his second spell at the Warriors and seemed to be perfectly at ease with the role he was asked to play in the team and wider squad.

Weegies need a fullback ASAP

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:19 pm 

toocoldhere wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

Weegies need a fullback ASAP

Very much so. Seymour is a decent stopgap there, but he is still an excellent pro14 level winger. It would be poor to weaken warriors at wing to have an only decent fullback.

Abendanon is still looking for a club - rumours of him interesting Glasgow have been kicking around a while. A year or two with him and the young guns would perhaps work well.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:23 pm 

Caution to the wind and start playing Niko at 15 again.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:47 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
https://www.theoffsideline.com/waiting-game-for-watsonians-recruit-angus-williams-after-lockdown-scuppers-super6-debut/?v=79cba1185463

I thought the Super 6 was there to help develop our own players, not bring over SQ Kiwis on what's effectively an extended trial to see if they are good enough for Edinburgh or Glasgow.

This guy is Scottish or his mum is.

The Super 6 is to raise the standards of club rugby so our young players are playing high standard games week in week out. No longer are prospects playing for an essentially semi pro Melrose or Ayr vs some amateur no hoper like Marr or Accies.

The Super6 without guys like this and others just wouldn't work.

He's 26 and played a little bit of Mitre 10 rugby, surely we have our own players at least on the same level? Mind you, I won't be bitching if he turns out to be a bit more like Thomas Gordon and less like Hugh Blake.

On a different matter now and if I'm in the minority I'll shut up. But can we have a separate Scottish politics thread? I can't be arsed with it on a rugby forum.

Risky manoeuvre, it would get incessantly trolled by all the Scottish Independence experts from elsewhere but can see the logic to keep politics away from here.

Yeah. The bored convention that national threads are left alone is the only reason we don’t get trolled here. A separate thread would be open season. Shame though.

Apologies for the interruption but the Rugby NAMA thread acts as the Irish politics/economy thread and is largely ignored by folks from other nations. Maybe use a non-obvious name like we have done. I'd imagine something generic like Scottish non-rugby catch-all thread would attract less "experts" then something with independence in the title. and start off with a boring local government subject matter until the nosier residents on here have gotten bored and fecked off

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30044 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 747, 748, 749, 750, 751, 752  Next