Where are the Rugby heartlands in your country?

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

Where are the Rugby heartlands in your country?

Post by eldanielfire »

I was wtaching a small YouTube video about Glendale, Colorado where the mayor who was an ex-NFL guy who fell in love with Rugby really has made the town a rugby place and is building the sporting identity of the town around Rugby. I really loved this.

It got me thinking. So where in each country is it considered the hotbed of Rugby or the heartlands where Rugby is at it's biggest/most passionate?

Obviously in Wales is South Wales, especially the valleys by tradition.
England would be the West country and possibly the home counties as well.
France it's down south, especially the South West
I hear in Germany it's the south west, with the colleges and towns that are close to France.

I'm particularly curious for countries who have a rugby history but it isn't as well documented or known. I'd love to know where in places like the USA, Canada, Argentina, The Netherlands, Uruguay, Kenya, Spain, Brazil, Columbia etc. Where are the areas or universites/schools where rugby is at it's biggest or most invested.

camroc1

Re: Where are the Rugby heartlands in your country?

Post by camroc1 »

South Dublin.

Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

The Gold Coast

Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Southwestern mainland BC and southern Vancouver Island in BC

From Toronto, they refer to the area around it as 'The Golden Horseshoe'. Well I'd say just outside of that is 'rugby country' in Ontario. There are smaller cities that punch well above their weight... Brantford, Oakville, Oshawa.

Barrie used to be there too but when the school board shifted boundaries and then closed a powerhouse school due to age / cost of repair, it seemed to water things down. Their club slowly dipped before that too but a buddy is doing a good job of bringing it back.

I'd argue Toronto clubs that do well rely on people who move into the city for work and that includes imports. I can't remember the last time a downtown school did anything at provincials... I think, like in places like London and Ottawa and much of Quebec, football still rules.

BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Scotland - The Borders

Western Cape - the Stellenbosch area

jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Nieghorn wrote:Southwestern mainland BC and southern Vancouver Island in BC

From Toronto, they refer to the area around it as 'The Golden Horseshoe'. Well I'd say just outside of that is 'rugby country' in Ontario. There are smaller cities that punch well above their weight... Brantford, Oakville, Oshawa.

Barrie used to be there too but when the school board shifted boundaries and then closed a powerhouse school due to age / cost of repair, it seemed to water things down. Their club slowly dipped before that too but a buddy is doing a good job of bringing it back.

I'd argue Toronto clubs that do well rely on people who move into the city for work and that includes imports. I can't remember the last time a downtown school did anything at provincials... I think, like in places like London and Ottawa and much of Quebec, football still rules.
That pretty much aligns with my experience of Ontario too.

I remember going to my nephew's rugby festival in Fergus and thinking the game was alive and well in Canada.

Kids teams for miles.

AND-y

Post by AND-y »

You're not Welsh.

Bimboc69

Post by Bimboc69 »

AND-y wrote:You're not Welsh.
Who are we to say what nationality or gender or colour or sexualitu he or she or (insert) identifies as at this moment.

eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Bigot!

Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

jdogscoop wrote:

I remember going to my nephew's rugby festival in Fergus and thinking the game was alive and well in Canada.

Kids teams for miles.

Fergus is a good shout... used to be better too but a splinter group formed Guelph Redcoats a few years ago and poached all the urban people, esp. Moo U students.

Lindsay (where Ardron hails, iirc, schools up there always do well), Peterborough, Belleville as well.

iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

South Dublin
Limerick City
North Co Down

Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Buller
East Coast
Horowhenua-Kapiti
King Country
Mid Canterbury
North Otago
Poverty Bay
South Canterbury
Thames Valley
Wairarapa Bush
Wanganui
West Coast

Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

BokJock wrote:Scotland - The Borders

Western Cape - the Stellenbosch area
They like to think so, and never stop telling you, but not even close.

Close down the Edinburgh and Perthshire private schools and rugby in Scotland effectively ceases to exist.

LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

eldanielfire wrote:I was wtaching a small YouTube video about Glendale, Colorado where the mayor who was an ex-NFL guy who fell in love with Rugby really has made the town a rugby place and is building the sporting identity of the town around Rugby. I really loved this.

It got me thinking. So where in each country is it considered the hotbed of Rugby or the heartlands where Rugby is at it's biggest/most passionate?

I hear in Germany it's the south west, with the colleges and towns that are close to France.

I'm particularly curious for countries who have a rugby history but it isn't as well documented or known. I'd love to know where in places like the USA, Canada, Argentina, The Netherlands, Uruguay, Kenya, Spain, Brazil, Columbia etc. Where are the areas or universites/schools where rugby is at it's biggest or most invested.
If I were to guess it would be Gwent (most rugby teams) and Carms (highest % playing rugby). But yes its very much throughout S Wales with big swathes of Swansea, Cardiff and Newport being footy. And Carms is technically W Wales, at least that's what we think.

Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

Nieghorn wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:

Kids teams for miles.

Fergus is a good shout... used to be better too but a splinter group formed Guelph Redcoats a few years ago and poached all the urban people, esp. Moo U students.

Lindsay (where Ardron hails, iirc, schools up there always do well), Peterborough, Belleville as well.
Agree with all that. i wish they were all more true heartlands so to speak!

GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

LandOTurk wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:I was wtaching a small YouTube video about Glendale, Colorado where the mayor who was an ex-NFL guy who fell in love with Rugby really has made the town a rugby place and is building the sporting identity of the town around Rugby. I really loved this.

If I were to guess it would be Gwent (most rugby teams) and Carms (highest % playing rugby). But yes its very much throughout S Wales with big swathes of Swansea, Cardiff and Newport being footy. And Carms is technically W Wales, at least that's what we TURKS think.
:roll: :lol:

eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

GWO2 wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

If I were to guess it would be Gwent (most rugby teams) and Carms (highest % playing rugby). But yes its very much throughout S Wales with big swathes of Swansea, Cardiff and Newport being footy. And Carms is technically W Wales, at least that's what we TURKS think.
I was hoping to have pulled in more than just you GW02. I tried to make it softer by including Gwent too. :D

towny

Post by towny »

Örebro

GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

:P
LandOTurk wrote:
GWO2 wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

I was hoping to have pulled in more than just you GW02. I tried to make it softer by including Gwent too. :D
:P

Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Once you get out of Auckland.

iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Jerome Manning wrote:Once you get out of Auckland.
Auckland is more league right?

Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

iarmhiman wrote:
Jerome Manning wrote:Once you get out of Auckland.
Auckland is more league right?
Nah, overall it would be more rugby union, especially among the middle aged and older. It's just changing rapidly because of immigration. The amount of rugby diehards under 40 is dwindling. Basketball is becoming massive among high schoolers, a lot of my work colleagues follow American sports. The NRL is a better TV 'product'.

A few suburbs in South Auckland are league heartlands.

moosehead

Post by moosehead »

Canada - British Columbia

South Surrey - whiterock
Abbotsford
North Vancouver
Victoria

Best rugby in BC is usually where schools do a great job combined with a club that has a strong junior program. Of these 4 locations all have home grown clubs.... Bayside / Caps and Abby are all strong developmental mens clubs with great youth sides.

Victoria / Vancouver mens clubs tend to poach players from acrosss Canada and use a fair amout of imports

chicharino

Post by chicharino »

Central/Northern California with Colorado and Utah close behind. High School Rugby well entrenched in California for the last 40 years.

RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Magpie26 wrote:Buller
East Coast
Horowhenua-Kapiti
King Country
Mid Canterbury
North Otago
Poverty Bay
South Canterbury
Thames Valley
Wairarapa Bush
Wanganui
West Coast
:lol: nice

jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Fvckin A, magpie.

Good to see the Hanan Shield sides plus Buller will be playing in a southern rep comp later this year.

AND-y

Post by AND-y »

eldanielfire wrote:
Bigot!
I appreciate your enthusiasm for the land of some of your ancestors but it's more like you've read about Wales in books than actually get it.

Luciano

Post by Luciano »

AR: Buenos Aires Province (specially the northern part), Buenos Aires Autonomous City, Córdoba Province, Tucumán Province, City of Rosario in Santa Fe Province.

Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

moosehead wrote:Canada - British Columbia

South Surrey - whiterock
Abbotsford
North Vancouver
Victoria

Best rugby in BC is usually where schools do a great job combined with a club that has a strong junior program. Of these 4 locations all have home grown clubs.... Bayside / Caps and Abby are all strong developmental mens clubs with great youth sides.

Victoria / Vancouver mens clubs tend to poach players from acrosss Canada and use a fair amout of imports
Your last statement is sadly true, but to to be fair to Castaway Wanderers, they have an excellent youth program. I applied to be their development whatever once and was going to take a harder look at teen to adult transitions. I imagine many do go on to play adult rugby and think Victoria's sometimes a place a lot of youth move away from due to cost of living / work / school elsewhere. But I did run into a few kids who felt youth rugby didn't set them up for the adult game (playing out of position, not ready to make such a big jump to a side with national team players / imports).

"Thirds" rugby should be overflowing with numbers, but it's not. I think there was an experiment with U20s or U23 league, but not sure if it's still going or even if the trial season I heard about was successful.

nardol

Post by nardol »

South Dublin
Limerick city
East Cork... maybe?

The Netherlands - Primarily expat and student driven. So The Hague, Delft (oldest club but nothing close to a big club anymore) Leiden (Diok) after HRC (the hague) the best club in NL.

boere wors

Post by boere wors »

Germany is interesting. While Rugby is generally unknown, the two cities with connection to Britain are the rugby strongholds, Heidelberg and Hannover. Small city of Heidelberg alone has 4 Bundesliga teams.

Phredd

Post by Phredd »

Back when I was 14/15 my father was posted to Hamilton in Ontario and I attended High School in Stoney Creek just outside the city.

Went back to Stony Creek last last year, some 50 years later, only to find that it is now part of Hamilton, and the school has been rebuilt, but now has a great Rugby culture with both male and female teams of all levels and ages playing.

Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Bimboc69 wrote:
Who are we to say what nationality or gender or colour or sexualitu he or she or (insert) identifies as at this moment.
And tbf EDF wasn't identifying himself as Welsh on this thread.

Puma

Post by Puma »

Luciano wrote:AR: Buenos Aires Province (specially the northern part), Buenos Aires Autonomous City, Córdoba Province, Tucumán Province, City of Rosario in Santa Fe Province.
Even if Cordoba and Rosario are quie important rugby areas, I'd reduce that to the northern suburbs of Buenos Aires, and Tucumán.

Tucumán is actually one of the few places I've known where rugby is actually more important and draws larger crews than football (exception being when local football club plays one of the nation's top five eams, when the football crowd gets massive).

eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Frodder wrote:
Bimboc69 wrote:
It was weird And-y just jumped to that. And then his next one, I don't think I've ever described anything about Wales or living there and he's jumping on me saying I've only read about Wales from a book. A reply to a post I don't think I've ever made. It's like he's so hung up and pressed about my presence he's throwing out rebuttals to posts no one, least of all me, has ever made.

Bimboc69

Post by Bimboc69 »

eldanielfire wrote:
Frodder wrote:
Bimboc69 wrote:
It was weird And-y just jumped to that. And then his next one, I don't think I've ever described anything about Wales or living there and he's jumping on me saying I've only read about Wales from a book. A reply to a post I don't think I've ever made. It's like he's so hung up and pressed about my presence he's throwing out rebuttals to posts no one, least of all me, has ever made.
Tbh it's quite like you when you make posts about peoples political opinions.
No need to reply it's axiomatic.

eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Bimboc69 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Frodder wrote:
Bimboc69 wrote:
Tbh it's quite like you when you make posts about peoples political opinions.
No need to reply it's axiomatic.
I only post about yours :nod:

terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Buller
East Coast
Horowhenua-Kapiti
King Country
Mid Canterbury
North Otago
Poverty Bay
South Canterbury
Thames Valley
Wairarapa Bush
Wanganui
West Coast
Truly the homes of the Heartland XV.........good call Magpie....

jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

jdogscoop wrote:Fvckin A, magpie.

Good to see the Hanan Shield sides plus Buller will be playing in a southern rep comp later this year.
I see Wanganui, Wairarapa-Bush, Horowhenua-Kapiti and King Country have also formed their own tourney.

Great to see. I wouldn't like to see this tier of players lose the development opportunities.