Pasifika Challenge - Wales v Tonga, NZ v Samoa

All things Rugby
J Man

Re: Pasifika Challenge - Wales v Tonga, NZ v Samoa

Post by J Man »

Hareaway wrote:So now i would start TJP over Dick Pic toilet boy .
Nah, let those running lines run a tired defense ragged late in the game.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Sonny Blount wrote:
The Native wrote:
Waka Nathan wrote:Sam Cane Man of the Match?
You mean average Same Cane?!

Head and shoulders the best loosie on the park.
I was joking. I've seen a bit of Sam Cane doubt lately.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

I have just seen my first look at some highlights - they are all ALB running into gaps off SBW shoulders, ALB busting tackles and setting up his outsides. Shit he looks sharp.
J Man

Post by J Man »

ALB looked amazing last year in black. Tonight is no fluke.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

J Man wrote:

Nah mate TJP has been the best 9 in the country for the last month
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Sam Cane had a fine match. He was tackling just as hard after 80 minutes than at kick off. A work horse.
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

AB made 17 clean breaks today lol. Seventeen. And also 25 offloads, notably.
SickeninglyArrogantPerson

Post by SickeninglyArrogantPerson »

That was the best AB first game of the season performance I've seen in ages.

Naturally this most bode terribly for their performance against the Lions.
Last edited by SickeninglyArrogantPerson on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
the curse

Post by the curse »

Hareaway wrote:
J Man wrote:

Nah mate TJP has been the best 9 in the country for the last month
+1
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

No offence to Samoa...

but it was just Samoa.

Get a grip, kiddies.
dam0

Post by dam0 »

SickeninglyArrogantPerson wrote:That was the best AB first game of the season performance I've seen in ages.

Best since 2005 I'd say.
SecretAgentMan

Post by SecretAgentMan »

SickeninglyArrogantPerson wrote:That was the best AB first game of the season performance I've seen in ages.

I'm shitting bricks.
J Man

Post by J Man »

guy smiley wrote:No offence to Samoa...

but it was just Samoa.

Get a grip, kiddies.
:? They were fine two years ago in Apia.

Samoa was great for 30 minutes tonight, they are a good side. The All Blacks are just absolutely ruthless. Remember the ABs put 60 on SA in SA last year.
comets

Post by comets »

Vaea Fifita did not sing the National Anthem.....is it cause he is Tongan born?
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

but it was just Samoa.

Get a grip, kiddies.
I'm more in this camp than dropping my daks and rubbing my mushroom head over the performance.

Plenty to work on. Plenty to like, sure, but all pressure was off after 30 minutes.
J Man

Post by J Man »

I need more tissues. I am excite!
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

comets wrote:Vaea Fifita did not sing the National Anthem.....is it cause he is Tongan born?
I never sing the National Anthem .... I'm NZ born. What ever does it mean?
comets

Post by comets »

UncleFB wrote:
comets wrote:Vaea Fifita did not sing the National Anthem.....is it cause he is Tongan born?
U no like your country?
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

You are bad Forummer ..

This is bad Forumming ..

Maybe a cvnt is in our midst ?
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Flockwitt wrote:No injuries is the winner is correct, but in truth the ABs didn't need that. They'd have been better off under a chunk more pressure. The few times Samoa had the ball and kept possession the ABs leaked penalties. They need to get that sorted out for Test time biggly. That's a seriously distorted view of what will happen come the Lions.
:nod:

They'll choose their moment to flood the breakdown and they will pick and go and snipe till the cows come home to get at Nugget.

I also think we will need to bring Read in off the bench, not as starter.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

J Man wrote:

but it was just Samoa.

Get a grip, kiddies.

Samoa was great for 30 minutes tonight, they are a good side. The All Blacks are just absolutely ruthless. Remember the ABs put 60 on SA in SA last year.

Two years ago, eh?

well... that's me told.

It's one thing to run rings around and lines through a team like Samoa who don't get to play tests regularly but it's another thing entirely to come up against a team loaded with experienced test players who understand defensive systems intrinsically.

The ABs put on a show but they weren't tested in that match when a good solid workout would have been better and shown up any frailties.
SecretAgentMan

Post by SecretAgentMan »

Who should they have played instead of Samoa?
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

I think that performance would put a twitch in Gatlands backside.....
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

SecretAgentMan wrote:Who should they have played instead of Samoa?
I wonder if we'd played Wales would the score have been even higher

They looked average.

There's not exactly a high quality scratch team floating about with a free schedule for a short notice warm up game in NZ.
Maybe they should have just picked a NZ B selection from all the Super Rugby players who are no longer involved in the tour.

To be quite honest I wonder if they'd asked the Provincial Barbarians whether we would have a got a better contest
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

The Marty Banks invitational
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

There's nothing 'wrong' with playing Samoa... in fact I think they could play the PI teams more than they do. I like these games.

I just don't see it as a result to get all that excited over. It's a big score to run up. Those games often flatter to deceive. I think, off the top of my head, it was the RWC in 95 when they ran up their record win, 145 points on Japan yeah?

Doesn't always lead to the win you want.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

The AB's player ratings according to Stuff:

Ben Smith 8.5: A typically flawless performance at the back from the man captaining the All Blacks for the first time.

Israel Dagg 7: Finished off a lovely Anton Lienert-Brown break and setup a try to debutant Vaea Fifita. But has he done enough to hold off Waisake Naholo for the first test against the Lions?

Anton Lienert-Brown 8.5: Classy performance from the Chiefs midfielder.

Sonny Bill Williams 6.5: Scored a try and dished up a couple of textbook offloads. But missed a few first-half tackles, including a shocker on cousin Tim Nanai-Williams.

Julian Savea 7.5: Nabbed his 46th test try (second equal for All Blacks) and played a part in a couple others. Only got better after a quiet first half.

Beauden Barrett 8: Plenty of good - kicked 6/7, scored a double and had a couple of try assists - after a scratchy start, which included conceding a couple of penalties, losing the ball in the tackle and over-cooking a clearing kick.

Aaron Smith 7: Minus butchering a try with a dreadful pass into touch, a classy 57 minutes, highlighted by his snappy pass and some sound decision making.

Ardie Savea 7.5: Finished off a couple of cracking tries in a rare start at No 8 by anyone but Kieran Read for the national side. Like most of the team, wasn't tested much after the first half hour.

Sam Cane 7.5: Scored the team's 12th try to finish off the rout. Made 14 tackles.

Jerome Kaino 6.5: A welcome sight for All Blacks fans to see the enforcer back playing after undergoing minor knee surgery in late April. Unleashed a few powerful tackles in his 57 minutes.

Sam Whitelock 6.5: Typically solid 50 minutes before he was subbed.

Brodie Retallick 8: Workhorse-like performance, although he won't be happy he put down an Israel Dagg pass with the line begging. Took over captaincy for last 17 minutes.

Owen Franks 6: Helped the All Blacks edge the big Samoan pack at scrum time.

Codie Taylor 7: Nabbed a try and, more importantly, was flawless at lineout time. Encouraging performance with Dane Coles still out.

Joe Moody 6: Like Franks, subbed after 50 minutes. Made nine tackles.

RESERVES:

Nathan Harris 6: Came on for last 18 minutes. All Blacks lineout was a perfect 9/9 on own throw.

Wyatt Crockett 6: Got half an hour of work through his big frame.

Charlie Faumuina 6: Came on early in the second half and could mostly sit back and watch the backs carve up Samoa.

Scott Barrett 7: Couple of lovely passes, a dashing run and a lineout steal in his first match back from injury.

Vaea Fifita 6: Finished off a sweeping move to score a try on debut.

TJ Perenara 7: Electric 24 minutes off the bench to keep the pressure on Aaron Smith for the starting job.

Lima Sopoaga 6: Slotted two conversions and setup Perenara's late try with a streaking run.

Jordie Barrett 6: Couple of nice touches, including taking a towering bomb in the leadup to a try, in his 17 minutes off the bench.

Jeez, I thought some of the reserves did ok and Jerome Kaino and the fatties were fine too.
Last edited by Ted. on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miester

Post by Miester »

comets wrote:Dagg definitely has one of the wings, Ben smith at fullback, personally Naholo over Savea at 11, Savea was a no show in the first half and a few decent runs in the 2nd half.
Pffff....You can have Naholo, Savea in D over him all day, and he is a better distributor...
BucksNuts

Post by BucksNuts »

My thoughts on this game in terms of relevance to the Lions test.

The lions will never let us play with that kind of pace and fluency. They will slow us down in a myriad of ways. Our loosies will get held down and back from rucks. They will slow down taking scrums and lineouts. They will get penalties and take shots at goal. They will reset scrums. They will niggle.
Samoa played that game in good spirit and it didn't help them any. They were puffed by half time.

Kaino back and looking good. He was hitting hard on D and consistent until subbed. Glad he is there to steady the ship and bring some menace.
Sam Cane was climbing into the ruck ball and tackle something fierce. If he can replicate that intensity then the Lions and going to have to commit more players to the breakdown and gaps will open.
Our Locks.... No respite there fullstop. Immense effort in the tight and the loose.
All the front rowers were solid all round but can't say they were sorely tested at scrums, neither through legal grunt nor through sneaky tactics. Samoa just played a straight guileless hand.
Not too sure how I felt about Ardie. He had great moments. I just wonder if he would be right to start against opponents like the Lions. I think he will shuffle to the bench and Read will come in if fit.

Aaron smith made some poor gaffes tonight and just didn't look full noise/confidence which sums up his season. I always appreciate his marshaling of the forwards but duffed kicks and passes that let the foot off the throat worry me in tight games. I think they will persevere with him starting though.

Barret.... nailed on. Nuff said

SBW... sigh... his defence was a real concern. Got skinned far too often. Made some crap choices and forced offloads. Is he just rusty? Perhaps. I think if Crotty is fit SBW will shuffle to the bench. In saying this I would need to re-watch to figure out what influence his efforts had on ALB's lines and setting up.

ALB. That was a sensational performance. God on D and offense.

Ben Smith was Ben Smith.

Savea. Hmm solid but not startling. Likely to keep spot.

Dagg. I see them sticking with him to diffuse high ball bombardment.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Ted. wrote:The AB's player ratings according to Stuff:

As usual, the so called rugby experts have no F* clue whether the props played a good game or not. If one of the props had a flashy run in open play, they would say he had a great game and given an 8.
elcamino

Post by elcamino »

I cannot understand the tactics behind Aaron Smith putting up box kicks every. single. time.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Ben Smith 8.5: A typically flawless performance at the back from the man captaining the All Blacks for the first time.

Israel Dagg 7: Finished off a lovely Anton Lienert-Brown break and setup a try to debutant Vaea Fifita. But has he done enough to hold off Waisake Naholo for the first test against the Lions?

Sonny Bill Williams 6.5: Scored a try and dished up a couple of textbook offloads. But missed a few first-half tackles, including a shocker on cousin Tim Nanai-Williams.

Julian Savea 7.5: Nabbed his 46th test try (second equal for All Blacks) and played a part in a couple others. Only got better after a quiet first half.

Beauden Barrett 8: Plenty of good - kicked 6/7, scored a double and had a couple of try assists - after a scratchy start, which included conceding a couple of penalties, losing the ball in the tackle and over-cooking a clearing kick.

Aaron Smith 7: Minus butchering a try with a dreadful pass into touch, a classy 57 minutes, highlighted by his snappy pass and some sound decision making.

Ardie Savea 7.5: Finished off a couple of cracking tries in a rare start at No 8 by anyone but Kieran Read for the national side. Like most of the team, wasn't tested much after the first half hour.

Sam Cane 7.5: Scored the team's 12th try to finish off the rout. Made 14 tackles.

Jerome Kaino 6.5: A welcome sight for All Blacks fans to see the enforcer back playing after undergoing minor knee surgery in late April. Unleashed a few powerful tackles in his 57 minutes.

Brodie Retallick 8: Workhorse-like performance, although he won't be happy he put down an Israel Dagg pass with the line begging. Took over captaincy for last 17 minutes.

Codie Taylor 7: Nabbed a try and, more importantly, was flawless at lineout time. Encouraging performance with Dane Coles still out.

RESERVES:

Nathan Harris 6: Came on for last 18 minutes. All Blacks lineout was a perfect 9/9 on own throw.

Charlie Faumuina 6: Came on early in the second half and could mostly sit back and watch the backs carve up Samoa.

Scott Barrett 7: Couple of lovely passes, a dashing run and a lineout steal in his first match back from injury.

TJ Perenara 7: Electric 24 minutes off the bench to keep the pressure on Aaron Smith for the starting job.

Lima Sopoaga 6: Slotted two conversions and setup Perenara's late try with a streaking run.

Jordie Barrett 6: Couple of nice touches, including taking a towering bomb in the leadup to a try, in his 17 minutes off the bench.

Jeez, I thought some of the reserves did ok and Jerome Kaino and the fatties were fine too.

:lol: Beat Samoa by 80 points......7/10 performance.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

RESERVES:

Bit harsh on some of the forwards, props especially.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

comets wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
U no like your country?
Love it. Don't have to sing the National Anthem to prove it.
Jake

Post by Jake »

I have been advocating that for 2 seasons.

He is one of the most intuitive players I've ever seen. Utterly incredible talent.

And a nice, typical Kiwi guy too when he's spoken to us lot at the pressers.

Loads of respect for that kid- will be a great.

I only hope you bench him.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Jake wrote:

He is one of the most intuitive players I've ever seen. Utterly incredible talent.

2 seasons :? . There were calls part way through last season which then accelerated when Smith blew out after his bog incident. I would be starting TJP this year.
Jake

Post by Jake »

mr bungle wrote:
Jake wrote:

2 seasons :? . There were calls part way through last season which then accelerated when Smith blew out after his bog incident. I would be starting TJP this year.
Season before last, November to be precise.
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

J Man wrote:

but it was just Samoa.

Get a grip, kiddies.

They really aren't. They are only just above Romania in the world rankings. The same Romania who play in the second tier of European rugby, and have lost to Germany and Japan in recent games.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

went this evening

Tonga V Wales was meh. the first half was fine (not as good as super rugby though), but the second half the crowd didn't seem to care. Cool to see Jamie Roberts play again, and for Ben T to get an international. Tonga not good enough with their execution, and couldn't catch high kicks when it started to rain

All Blacks V Samoa was fantastic. Samoa great to start off with, then game descended into a glorified training run for the ABs. In terms of the backs, i think if Crotty is fit next week then ALB did enough to get the start instead of SBW. Jordie proved his worth as a potential benchie in the Lions series. Dagg was classy, and Jules didn't do much, but no big errors from him. Forwards went well
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Comrade wrote:went this evening

Tonga V Wales was meh. the first half was fine (not as good as super rugby though), but the second half the crowd didn't seem to care. Cool to see Jamie Roberts play again, and for Ben T to get an international. Tonga not good enough with their execution, and couldn't catch high kicks when it started to rain

All Blacks V Samoa was fantastic. Samoa great to start off with, then game descended into a glorified training run for the ABs. In terms of the backs, i think if Crotty is fit next week then ALB did enough to get the start instead of SBW. Jordie proved his worth as a potential benchie in the Lions series. Dagg was classy, and Jules didn't do much, but no big errors from him. Forwards went well
Hansen is a very conservative coach and will go with what works for him. So SBW will start and he will have Dagg and Savea on the wings.

And until he starts losing games, it's really hard to be critical of it all. Even though Savea wouldn't be my first pick.