White supremacist terror attack in the US!

All things Rugby
flaggETERNAL

White supremacist terror attack in the US!

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Tragic event. Again, it's interesting how the headlines are phrased. Apologies for what might seem like point scoring.
wo men were stabbed to death in Portland, Ore., on Friday when they tried to stop their attacker from harassing two women because they appeared to be Muslim, according to police. (Reuters)
Two men were stabbed to death and one injured Friday on a light-rail train in Portland, Ore., after they tried to intervene when another passenger began “ranting and raving” and shouting anti-Muslim hate speech at two young women, police said.

Portland police on Saturday identified the two slain victims as 53-year-old Ricky John Best and 23-year-old Taliesin Myrddin Namkai Meche.

A third victim, 21-year-old Micah David-Cole Fletcher, is being treated for non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

According to witnesses, a white male passenger riding an eastbound MAX train early Friday afternoon began yelling what “would best be characterized as hate speech toward a variety of ethnicities and religions,” police said. Some of the slurs were directed at two female passengers, one of whom was wearing a hijab, according to police.

“This suspect was on the train and he was yelling and ranting and raving a lot of different things, including what we characterized at hate speech or biased language,” Portland police spokesman Pete Simpson said at a news conference Friday evening.

At least two men tried to calm the ranting passenger down, but “they were attacked viciously by the suspect” when they did, Simpson said.

“It appears preliminarily that the victims — at least a couple of them — were trying to intervene in his behavior, deescalate him and protect some other people on the train when [the suspect] viciously attacked them,” Simpson said.

Taliesin Myrddin Namkai Meche (Courtesy Vajra Alaya-Maitreya)
About 4:30 p.m. Friday, police responded to calls of a disturbance at the Hollywood Transit Station in east Portland. There, they found three stabbing victims, all adult men. Despite attempted lifesaving measures, Best, a resident of Happy Valley, Ore., was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Namkai Meche, of southeast Portland, died at a local hospital; Fletcher, of southeast Portland, is expected to survive, police said Saturday.

The Oregon State Medical Examiner is conducting autopsies on Best and Namkai Meche and expected to release results late Saturday afternoon, according to police.

Based on witnesses’ statements, officers on Friday were able to locate and arrest the suspect, who had fled the train on foot.

Police identified the suspect early Saturday morning as 35-year-old Jeremy Joseph Christian, of north Portland. Christian is being held without bail on two counts of aggravated murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of intimidation in the second degree and one count of possession of a restricted weapon as a felon.

Jeremy Joseph Christian (Courtesy Portland Police Bureau)
The stabbing attack shocked the city.

“It’s horrific. There’s no other word to describe what happened today,” Simpson said Friday. “It is simply horrible.”

[‘Brave and selfless’ Oregon stabbing victims hailed as heroes for standing up to racist rants]

The attack shut down the Hollywood Transit Station and Portland MAX trains in both directions for several hours Friday evening.

Simpson noted then that several passengers, including the two young women thought to be the target of the man’s anti-Muslim slurs, had left the train after the stabbings. He urged any witnesses to come forward to give statements to police. Simpson added that it did not appear that the suspect or the victims had any relationship with one another.

“We don’t know if (the suspect) has mental-health issues or was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or all of the above,” Simpson said. “With this incident, we’re obviously in early stages of the investigation.”

According to the Associated Press, the FBI and U.S. Attorney for Oregon will work with Portland police on the case. The FBI said it’s too early to say whether the killings qualify as a federal hate crime but U.S. Attorney Billy Williams said Saturday, “There’s a day of reckoning coming, a day of accountability,” the AP reported.

The attacks occurred just as Ramadan, the Muslim holy month, was set to commence at sunset Friday. Simpson said that Portland police had already reached out to Muslim organizations, mosques and imams in the community to talk about extra patrols during Ramadan — and that those extra patrols would continue.

“Our thoughts are with the Muslim community,” Simpson said Friday. “As something like this happens, this only instills fear in that community.”

[Suspected attacker Jeremy Joseph Christian stood out amid rising tensions in Portland]

On Saturday, people mourned the stabbing victims and praised them as heroes for their actions. Namkai Meche’s sister, Vajra Alaya-Maitreya, emailed a statement to The Washington Post on behalf of their family, saying her brother lived “a joyous and full life” with an enthusiasm that was infectious.

“We lost him in a senseless act that brought close to home the insidious rift of prejudice and intolerance that is too familiar, too common. He was resolute in his conduct (and) respect of all people,” she wrote. “In his final act of bravery, he held true to what he believed is the way forward. He will live in our hearts forever as the just, brave, loving, hilarious and beautiful soul he was. We ask that in honor of his memory, we use this tragedy as an opportunity for reflection and change. We choose love.”

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler on Saturday said, “Their actions were brave and selfless and should serve as an example, an inspiration to us all,” the AP reported.

By Saturday afternoon, a GoFundMe campaign called “Tri Met Heroes” set up for the victims’ families had raised more than $30,000. A GoFundMe spokesman confirmed to The Post that the company would ensure funds are sent to the victim’s families.

The attack prompted a slew of outraged responses Friday from Oregon residents and lawmakers, as well as nationally.
Full story here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... olice-say/
Chuckles1188

Re: White supremacist terror attack in the US!

Post by Chuckles1188 »

There may never be a person in this world with a more overtly hippy name than "Taliesin". RIP
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Chuckles1188 wrote:There may never be a person in this world with a more overtly hippy name than "Taliesin". RIP
Why is that name so familiar? Something from King Arthur? Or one of Eddings books? Something fantastical anyway. But yes, a horrible way to go.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

What are you getting at?
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Mick Mannock wrote:What are you getting at?
I've forgotten.
Santa

Post by Santa »

I think the difference is that one guy spontaneously attacked a couple of other guys after prolonged public ranting on a bus, and a different guy spent several weeks/months planning and building a bomb and then executed his plan.
comets

Post by comets »

Sounds like Talespin, that Disney TV i loved watching ....
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

flaggETERNAL wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:There may never be a person in this world with a more overtly hippy name than "Taliesin". RIP
Why is that name so familiar? Something from King Arthur? Or one of Eddings books? Something fantastical anyway. But yes, a horrible way to go.
It was a real person from Celtic Britain, but you're probably thinking of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pendr ... e#Taliesin
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Taliesin is Welsh. Welsh Rugby Legend and World Cup winner 'Tal' Taliesin Selley is a famous bearer of the name.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Very sad this.

Two guys are heroes. Nobody should be subjected to that sort of abuse for their race and religion.

Way off it with terror attack though.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Santa wrote:I think the difference is that one guy spontaneously attacked a couple of other guys after prolonged public ranting on a bus, and a different guy spent several weeks/months planning and building a bomb and then executed his plan.
Was it a spontaneous attack though?
Santa

Post by Santa »

Er, yeah. He killed 2 dudes who got between him and the people he was abusing. I mean his target may have been people who defend people he hates but that would have been silly.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Santa wrote:Er, yeah. He killed 2 dudes who got between him and the people he was abusing. I mean his target may have been people who defend people he hates but that would have been silly.
Quite
easyray

Post by easyray »

Santa wrote:I think the difference is that one guy spontaneously attacked a couple of other guys after prolonged public ranting on a bus, and a different guy spent several weeks/months planning and building a bomb and then executed his plan.
People full of hate that want to destroy what they hate. There is no difference, terrorists.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

This isn't a terrorist attack. This was more a crime of passion.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

flaggETERNAL wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:What are you getting at?
I've forgotten.
He's aiming at the tendency of news outlets (and official spokespeople) to throw the terror label around very quickly before establishing facts, something we see in here often enough.

I suspect you know this because you're not a stupid man, Mick.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

CrazyIslander wrote:This isn't a terrorist attack. This was more a crime of passion.
:?:

No it wasn't. It was a violent attack.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Santa wrote:Er, yeah. He killed 2 dudes who got between him and the people he was abusing. I mean his target may have been people who defend people he hates but that would have been silly.
Absolutely. Mind you, he is a white suprematist who had previously been caught on camera saying some very silly things about minorities, making America great again, and so forth. He also has previous convictions for violence. So in conclusion, there is evidence that this man has a propensity for politicised racism, bigotry, violence and publicity. His objective may well have been to cause a headline grabbing public incident to highlight his beliefs, and going by his history, the more violent the better.

Of course, he could be a freedom fighter.
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Oh look, another point scoring thread.

RIP to the victims.
Deadtigers

Post by Deadtigers »

Considering the point scoring after a Muslim terrorist attack, threads like this are good. Although the defenders of Islamophobia are always missing on these threads. Plus it is also news unless you deem a white supremacist st attack such as this is not news.
nardol

Post by nardol »

White supremacist..... kills 2 white people

Their f**king retarded world views they cant even follow up on.

I have no problem with the death sentence in cases like this.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

guy smiley wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:This isn't a terrorist attack. This was more a crime of passion.
:?:

No it wasn't. It was a violent attack.
Really? I thought it was a non violent stabbing!
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Looks like CI is right... I'd always associated crime of passion with more domestic issues but the definition online is that of a spontaneous act of violence.

Chalk it up CI... you were right and I was wrong. How does it feel? Your first time, right?
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

If this had been a scene in a movie you'd be rolling your eyes at the cheesy 'inclusiveness' of it all.

Two men heroically stepping in to defend a couple of oppressed women, and they just happen to be what appears to be the most stereotypical hippie and a retired drill sergeant. It's a miracle we didn't have a construction worker and a biker in leathers join in as well.

Looks like they're considering hate crime charges - mind you as South Park says, every crime is a hate crime, they're a savage hypocrisy.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

guy smiley wrote:Looks like CI is right... I'd always associated crime of passion with more domestic issues but the definition online is that of a spontaneous act of violence.

Chalk it up CI... you were right and I was wrong. How does it feel? Your first time, right?
Good to see you're seeing things my way. I've always had you down as an idiot and a cvnt. But maybe you're not an idiot after all.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

CrazyIslander wrote:
guy smiley wrote:Looks like CI is right... I'd always associated crime of passion with more domestic issues but the definition online is that of a spontaneous act of violence.

Good to see you're seeing things my way. I've always had you down as an idiot and a cvnt. But maybe you're not an idiot after all.

Your opinion carries a lot of weight around here.

Dead weight :thumbup:
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

guy smiley wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

Your opinion carries a lot of weight around here.

Dead weight :thumbup:
Whilst you're an oracle of wisdom boredies go to for advice on rugby and life in general. Richie Magraw - A cross between Richie McCaw and Dr Phil Magraw.
indomite

Post by indomite »

You're a plum. Spontaneous that.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Seemingly, it's only terrorism if it's planned

If you're a loser with no life skills and a lot of hate, then you can probably find an ideology that validates and supports your anger. Then other people can parse what happened afterwards, depending on their biases.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Deadtigers wrote:Considering the point scoring after a Muslim terrorist attack, threads like this are good. Although the defenders of Islamophobia are always missing on these threads. Plus it is also news unless you deem a white supremacist st attack such as this is not news.
It's a stupid and dangerous comparison.

"Defenders of Islamophobia" (an equally stupid term, in this case used to describe people who are not missing from the thread) point out the connection to Islam in Islamic terror attacks not because they want to "make Muslims feel bad". They do it because they want the violence to stop. Step number one is to identify the cause (or at-least the contributing factors). "Defenders of PC-do-gooder-crap" are doing nobody any favors by pretending that the Islamic violence we see all across the world is comparable to some obviously deranged lone nut-case ranting on public transport before having a psychotic episode. "Just a crazy person, nothing more".

If we pretend the cause of Islamic Jihadis, ISIS, Al Queda, the daily terrorist attacks all through the Muslim world, the subjugation of women all through the Muslim world, the oppression of homosexuals and atheists and the almost-weekly terror attacks in the West ... if we pretend the cause of all that is "some crazy person with a screw loose" then we're never going to actually be able to do anything meaningful about it.

As I said, a stupid and dangerous comparison.
Mog The Almighty

P.S. The people the stepped up to stop him and paid for their lives are absolute heroes. Nobody should be subject to that kind of abuse, and it happens far too often while everyone else just sits around awkwardly pretending it's not happening. I don't like Islam the doctrine, but I'm absolutely disgusted by vile hatred directed at individuals for simply being born into the faith. Especially some young girl.
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

shanky wrote:Seemingly, it's only terrorism if it's planned

If you're a loser with no life skills and a lot of hate, then you can probably find an ideology that validates and supports your anger. Then other people can parse what happened afterwards, depending on their biases.
Yep, it doesn't really matter whether it's terrorism, hate crime, mental illness awareness day, or a shocking lack of tolerance toward the free speech of a knife wielding lunatic. We've reduced the sacrifice of a couple of incredibly brave blokes to a semantic quibble.
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:Considering the point scoring after a Muslim terrorist attack, threads like this are good. Although the defenders of Islamophobia are always missing on these threads. Plus it is also news unless you deem a white supremacist st attack such as this is not news.

"Defenders of Islamophobia" (an equally stupid term, in this case used to describe people who are not missing from the thread) point out the connection to Islam in Islamic terror attacks not because they want to "make Muslims feel bad". They do it because they want the violence to stop. Step number one is to identify the cause (or at-least the contributing factors). "Defenders of PC-do-gooder-crap" are doing nobody any favors by pretending that the Islamic violence we see all across the world is comparable to some obviously deranged lone nut-case ranting on public transport before having a psychotic episode. "Just a crazy person, nothing more".

If we pretend the cause of Islamic Jihadis, ISIS, Al Queda, the daily terrorist attacks all through the Muslim world, the subjugation of women all through the Muslim world, the oppression of homosexuals and atheists and the almost-weekly terror attacks in the West ... if we pretend the cause of all that is "some crazy person with a screw loose" then we're never going to actually be able to do anything meaningful about it.

You just can't help yourself, can you?
Santa

Post by Santa »

Honestly who the fudge cares whether or not it's called terrorism. It was revolting and those brave guys were heroic.
Mog The Almighty

Turbogoat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

You just can't help yourself, can you?
LOL. What, I can't respond after being snidely accused of being "absent from the thread"?

Wake up.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Bokkom wrote:Oh look, another point scoring thread.

RIP to the victims.
For sure, it's easy to lose sight of that.
DragonKhan

Post by DragonKhan »

A deranged Bernie fan who hated all religion by any account. Seemingly worshipped Timothy McVeigh too
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Santa wrote:Honestly who the f**k cares whether or not it's called terrorism. It was revolting and those brave guys were heroic.
You did, apparently.
PornDog

Post by PornDog »

You assholes are argueing over labels!!!!

Does one label or another change the severity of this tragedy? Are the victims any less dead? A hateful person carried out a hateful act that resulted in innocent people dying - why the fudge would you waste any time on what label to give it!

There does seem to be a global rise in acts of hatred, and it is not the sole purview of any one demographic. It's a huge problem that needs to be addressed by people that don't spend their time argueing over what f**king label they use to define these events! Those assholes, despite their own f**king sense of self importance, are a significant part of the problem! Cocksuckers!

*yes this does piss me off, and it should piss you off too.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

His engagement with far-right politics may be relatively new. A person who knew him in Portland’s heavy metal scene, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that when he first encountered him eight years ago he was apolitical.

“Jeremy has always been an extremely damaged person since I’ve known him,” the person said. “He practically grew up in prison and his childhood was horrific but I’ve always known him to have a kind heart.” Christian had been given a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, the person said, and “has an extremely obsessive personality. He gets fixed on a thing or an idea and flies off the edge of the world with it”.

According to records, Christian has a history of violence. In 2002, wearing a ski mask, he handcuffed a north Portland shopkeeper to the counter while stealing cash and cigarettes. Following the robbery, Christian was shot in the face by a Portland police officer.

Searches revealed 2002 convictions for kidnapping in the second degree, carrying and using a dangerous weapon, and robbery in the first degree. Records also showed that Christian had been charged with, but not convicted of, offenses ranging from felon in possession of a firearm to supplying contraband.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ate-speech

Sounds like a thoroughly cooked up habitual criminal to me.
He should have undergone treatment for mental issues long ago.