All things Rugby
dr dre2

Re: Sefton's Completely Impartial and Unbiased Lions Ratings

Post by dr dre2 »

EverReady wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
EverReady wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
EverReady wrote:Your ratings are stupid. You are stupid. Welcome back.
Your tacit support for the unsavoury and unforgivible is quite a surprise.
I am not a reliable person in so many ways
Some lines should not be crossed. Your actions suggest acceptance of distasteful behaviour.
I think suggesting Sefton returning is distasteful is understandable but probably a bit harsh
It's his taste in "art" that's distasteful. He disapeared when this was questioned.
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

EverReady wrote:I'm lost but if it means he should change Sexy's, Hendo's and Best's ratings I am outraged
It's his rating of Sexy that is in question alright.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

odave wrote:I assume that's -3 for Laidlaw based on missing the biggest gap ever seen on a pitch. 🙈

https://twitter.com/RugbyInsideLine/sta ... 4124986368
Paul Marshall would have made that break.
Okay, then he would have tripped over the try line and knocked on, but still...
_fb_

Post by _fb_ »

Sefton wrote: Jeff has gone native.

Which is saying something for what was already the most parochial and one eyed poster in the NH.
I believe it's something in the water.

Oh, found your brolly, Jeff.

Sefton

Post by Sefton »

I like haggis wrote:
Sefton wrote:Hogg - 3
Doesn't even look a starter for Taranaki Under-9 girls, never mind the British and Irish Lions, poor handling, poor passing, bounced off in the tackle.
When was he bounced off a tackle? Made every single one, I see the defence #narrative still going strong.
He was clearly bounced by the BaBa's right winger near the touchline.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Sefton wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Doesn't even look a starter for Taranaki Under-9 girls, never mind the British and Irish Lions, poor handling, poor passing, bounced off in the tackle.
When was he bounced off a tackle? Made every single one, I see the defence #narrative still going strong.
He was clearly bounced by the BaBa's right winger near the touchline.
Are you sure you weren't confusing the fat cunt with Furlong?
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Hogg was bounced but the guy still hit the deck.
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

Not too much to complain about in those ratings, I'd say - perhaps congealed a bit in the middle but then so were The Lions.

I'd probably give Faletau an extra point for not succumbing to the general malaise. And Sexton maybe one less for failing to steer away from the rocks on top of his basic skill errors. Te'o, Moriarty and Sinckler couldn't be faulted for initiative and commitment.

Lets hope that was all a major case of jetlag.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Little harsh on Hogg but otherwise fair enough really. Obviously being Irish I kept an eye on the Irish lads... And jaysus it wasn't good.

Felatau the best forward, Te'o decent in the backs.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Missing the ratings for one very key player Sefton:

Last edited by eldanielfire on Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

eldanielfire wrote:Misisng the ratings for one very key player Sefton:

They all look alike to me? :thumbdown:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Welcome back you scouse Wazzock.
Fiorsceil

Post by Fiorsceil »

nuffsaid wrote:Not too much to complain about in those ratings, I'd say - perhaps congealed a bit in the middle but then so were The Lions.

I'd probably give Faletau an extra point for not succumbing to the general malaise. And Sexton maybe one less for failing to steer away from the rocks on top of his basic skill errors. Te'o, Moriarty and Sinckler couldn't be faulted for initiative and commitment.

Lets hope that was all a major case of jetlag.
Sefton's ratings more or less spot on - here is how the Kiwis saw it

BRITISH AND IRISH LIONS

Stuart Hogg 2.5: Poor game from the Scotsman. Botched a try with a dreadful pass to Anthony Watson, misjudged a couple of kicks and needs to be better defensively.

Anthony Watson 6: Would have had two tries to his name had Hogg put the ball on the money. Scored his side's first try of the tour.

Jonathan Joseph 4: Quiet night for the centre, who was well looked after by the gutsy Barbarians.

Ben Te'o 7: Showed off his power running with a bunch of breaks. The Kiwi-born midfielder also dished up a lovely pass to Hogg late in the first half.

Tommy Seymour 4.5: Like Watson, not a ton of ball went his way. However, he did go looking for it in the second half and had a couple of half breaks.

Jonathan Sexton 5: Missed a sitter penalty goal early and also muffed a couple of punts. Subbed for Owen Farrell early in the second half.

Greig Laidlaw 6.5: Put in a solid 57 minutes, even banging over a penalty goal when Sexton was getting medical attention.

Toby Faletau 8: Made a ridiculously good scrambling, try-saving tackle on Inga Finau. Was sound defensively and always a threat with ball in hand.

Sam Warburton (c) 6.5: Busy at the breakdown and played a part in a bunch of steals. Subbed after 66 minutes.

Ross Moriarty 7.5: A huge man who made a couple of barnstorming runs. Went looking for work and is one to watch moving forward.

Iain Henderson 5: Solid 49 minutes before was replaced by George Kruis.

​Alun Wyn Jones 5.5: Welcomed to New Zealand with a monstrous hit by Andrew Makalio. Gave away a late penalty which gave the Barbarians a late chance to snatch the game.

Kyle Sinckler 5.5: Had a brain explosion when took a quick tap and got penalised for holding on. Had a couple of strong runs in the first half.

Rory Best 7: Minus one wonky dart, was accurate at lineout time. Got through a mountain of work around the paddock and showed off his pilfering skills.

Joe Marler 5.5: Stopped an ominous driving maul in it's tracks early in the first half. Subbed early in second half.

Reserves:

Jamie George 6: Lineout didn't miss a beat after he replaced Best in 49th minute.

Mako Vunipola 5.5: Busy half hour off the bench. Played a big part in rebuffing a late driving maul with the game on the line.

Tadhg Furlong 4.5: Not the same impact as Sinckler, the man he replaced.

George Kruis 4: Part of a Lions' pack which rebuffed a couple of late surges from the home side.

Rhys Webb 4.5: Got 23 minutes off the bench. Sharp delivery, although did lose a ball in a tackle with the line begging.

Owen Farrell 4.5: Like Sexton, missed an easy kick. Not a big factor in 30 minutes off the bench.

Not rated: Justin Tipuric (14min) Elliot Daly (DNP) - ROBERT VAN ROYEN
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

I like haggis wrote:
He was initially bounced in the tackle but still held the man and brought him down. Other than that he butchered one try and had one knock on from an extremely difficult grubber.

Funnily no one is mentioning the superb one on one tackle on the man prior to Faletaau getting back and the other one to bring down the guy who collected the cross field kick. He also made about three excellent line breaks, one of which was only stopped by a superb tackle by the covering defence just short of the line. But hey, ho the accepted narrative is Hogg is shit. :roll:

What amazes me is that these very same people are amazed how shit laidlaw is when we have all being telling them that for years.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

hp18 wrote:
Petej wrote:
odave wrote:I assume that's -3 for Laidlaw based on missing the biggest gap ever seen on a pitch. 🙈

https://twitter.com/RugbyInsideLine/sta ... 4124986368
The important thing there is he was following the Warren Ball guidelines of looking for contact.
f**k hell Greig :lol:
Noticed it at the time. An appalling lack of awareness but he just seemed too intent on playing the agreed game plan.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

BlackMac wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
He was initially bounced in the tackle but still held the man and brought him down. Other than that he butchered one try and had one knock on from an extremely difficult grubber.

Funnily no one is mentioning the superb one on one tackle on the man prior to Faletaau getting back and the other one to bring down the guy who collected the cross field kick. He also made about three excellent line breaks, one of which was only stopped by a superb tackle by the covering defence just short of the line. But hey, ho the accepted narrative is Hogg is shit. :roll:

What amazes me is that these very same people are amazed how shit laidlaw is when we have all being telling them that for years.
He also screwed up trying to catch a long clearance. He also threw another shit pass.

It was 2 breaks, btw.

He had a poor game and was a big reason why the Lions looked so nervy.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

JM2K6 wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

He also screwed up trying to catch a long clearance. He also threw another shit pass.

It was 2 breaks, btw.

I'm including the mazy run through the centre. Undoubtedly a shit game by his standards but his profile was probably higher by the fact he is putting himself in positions to try and make an impact on the game. There were many others who were entirely invisible but are getting less grief.

People writing Hogg off is mad. Given how one dimensional the selected backs are, we have no chance of winning the tests unless adventurous players like him and JJ are allowed to express themselves.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

No-one is actually writing off anyone. There just needs to be less sensitivity over a crap performance with some standout bed-shitting. A good couple of performances in the next week and it'll be forgotten.
Murdoch

Post by Murdoch »

Sefton wrote: Joseph - 4
Decent hands and linked well but missed too many tackles
Can't be true.
I've been told he's the "best defensive 13 on the planet since BOD".

First game in NZ and he's already waving them through.
Could be a long tour.

Why do I feel like NH reputations are always at their zenith every 12 years?
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

It certainly is going to be a long tour if this is going to be the standard of Kiwi posting
Murdoch

Post by Murdoch »

JM2K6 wrote:It certainly is going to be a long tour if this is going to be the standard of Kiwi posting
Good natured banter.

Missed tackle stats are much more fun than domestic violence stats mate.

:)
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Is that good natured? OK.
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

Can't be arsed reading them but if there's more than a handful over a 2 it's a seismic distortion of the shitshow I witnessed
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Murdoch wrote:
Can't be true.

Could be a long tour.

What twat said that?

IMO, Payne is a dark horse for the 13 jersey.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Willie Falloon wrote:
Murdoch wrote:
Can't be true.

Could be a long tour.

What twat said that?

IMO, Payne is a dark horse for the 13 jersey.
That twat would be me, Willie. But good on you for bigging up my chosen Lion :thumbup:

(even if you are only doing it because he plays for Ulster)
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

How many times did you watch the game JM?
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Just re watched the game (because I'm a glutton for punishment). On second viewings, I actually think Hogg did marginally better than first thought (he still made some howlers, but also looked good ball in hand. If we have any hope of beating the AB's then having someone with his kind of rapier attack will be vital.

All pretty much as previusly mentioned, but I don't think it's a massive cause for concern (yet). The most heartening thing for me was that we created chances with plays that would have probably been goo enough for better defences (the Hogg/Watson butchered try, and the Sinckler/Henderson/Faletau interplay that put the No.8 through on the line).

We were guilty of profligacy, but that's a damn site better than not being able to create any chances at all.

As I mentioned on the AWJ thread, the scrum was the major issue for me. If we can't push around a bunch of hastily assembled semi-pro players, then we've got no chance against the better teams.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

We were guilty of profligacy, but that's a damn site better than not being able to create any chances at all.
That's how I felt and a decent way to sum it up.

Hogg made a few errors, don't think any of them led to points though. His foot work is top notch too.
Adrianmole

Post by Adrianmole »

JM2K6 wrote:Is that good natured? OK.

My precious.
Adrianmole

Post by Adrianmole »

My precious.
Adrianmole

Post by Adrianmole »

My precious.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Jeff the Bear wrote:

As I mentioned on the AWJ thread, the scrum was the major issue for me. If we can't push around a bunch of hastily assembled semi-pro players, then we've got no chance against the better teams.
BaaBaas will be gutted they missed a few opportunities to score tries, too. Great tackle by Faletau. And what if they'd taken some kicks at goal...

I'm suprised Stuart Barnes mentioned at half time that the Lions scrum was in ascendency, Gatland then followed up at full time that it was one area of strength :?

I think the NH press and many fans see a NZ team and instantly give it more respect than they should. This was the weakest team we could legitimately offer the Lions. Weaker than Manawatu in 2005, a team they beat 109-6.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Jake wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Sefton wrote: Jones - 4
Ahead of Launchbury :lol:
And so it begins.

I can see that peoples (and by peoples, I mean the English) opinion of Launchbury is only going to soar the longer he doesn't play a game for the Lions. He'll no doubt be the best lock in the world by the time the tour is over. :uhoh:
He already pretty much is.
He's not even the best in England, let alone the world. Retallick is a significantly better player.
Sam Whitelock wants a word
frillage

Post by frillage »

JM2K6 wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

It was 2 breaks, btw.

Sorry, let me get this straight, Hogg didn't play as well as might have hoped and that was not just a reason but a big one why the team looked so nervy?
f**king hell, if he is that important we all better pray he finds some form.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Well, your fullback IS quite important, yeah, because often his mistakes me a huge territory gain for the opposition. And then when the pressure is on and we're all glancing nervously at the scoreboard and he butchers a walk-in try, that increases the pressure even more.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Adrianmole wrote:

My precious.
The rule of three is best used in oratory.
henry

Post by henry »

Just going to confine my ratings to the Taffs:

AWJ - looked off the pace and lacking intensity. Failed to impose himself or provide direction. Very, very poor 2/10
Moriarity - demonstrated his midweek usefulness. Enthusiastic. Hard-hitting. Ran better lines than Joseph, Seymour and Watson. But lacking true test class - 6/10
Warburton - busy but ineffective. Offered precious little leadership. Made an embarrassing error. Tipuric made an instant improvement 2/10
Faletau - probably the best player on the pitch. Carried tirelessly. Tackled like a demon. Was a nuisance at the breakdown. 7/10

All in all, it was dogshit. Lacked urgency, precision, direction. Precious little leadership. No setpiece or territorial superiority. Embarrassing to be frank.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

henry wrote:Just going to confine my ratings to the Taffs:

AWJ - looked off the pace and lacking intensity. Failed to impose himself or provide direction. Very, very poor 2/10
Moriarity - demonstrated his midweek usefulness. Enthusiastic. Hard-hitting. Ran better lines than Joseph, Seymour and Watson. But lacking true test class - 6/10
Warburton - busy but ineffective. Offered precious little leadership. Made an embarrassing error. Tipuric made an instant improvement 2/10
Faletau - probably the best player on the pitch. Carried tirelessly. Tackled like a demon. Was a nuisance at the breakdown. 7/10

All in all, it was dogshit. Lacked urgency, precision, direction. Precious little leadership. No setpiece or territorial superiority. Embarrassing to be frank.

Think the Lions believed their own hype, after many called them the best batch to leave in decades and that they where playing 'minor professionals', that and sexton/Hogg having howlers. I will honesty be really worried if the lions don't win by 10+ vs the Blues.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Don't know why the Scots are getting so precious about Hogg , he was awful yesterday and looks heavily overweight. If it wasn't for a couple of the Irish lads being so bad he would have stood out even more