All things Rugby
dr dre2

Re: Haka Count

Post by dr dre2 »

:lol:
Floppykid wrote:
Auckman wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:Shaking hands is one of many examples of what you probably consider normal behavior but which is in fact just a polite ritual and tradition that is not infact common to all cultures. The are many many others. Some tribal, some less so. I would put wearing a tie among the trivial, although many are forced by custom to wear this pointless and often uncomfortable item of clothing almost everyday.

Another example from my earlier post involved the launching of a boat. No one bats an eye at this custom no matter how small the boat, but a haka to celebrate the arrival of a multi million dollar aircraft is the equivalent of pulling out the haka "for the opening of an envelope".

If the Lions were greeted by a series of boring speeches, a parade of dignitaries, and perhaps a stirring national anthem with an exchange of gifts, no one would say a thing as it would match the European tradition. But NZ is not Europe or a little Britain. So the response of some to seeing traditions other than their own can be quite revealing. Especially their view that somehow the different cultures that have been involved in creating a modern New Zealand culture should somehow have remained segregated. That isn't something that has happened anywhere. Cultures interact and influence each other no matter where you are.

And yes, more than just haka have been moved beyond just being Maori culture and have become part of New Zealand culture. As a result many Maori words have become part of New Zealand English as the concepts associated lose something in translation.
But shaking hands doesn't involve pulling silly faces, poking your tongue out and thigh slapping, these are things we Europeans discourage in our children, and to see European NZ adults doing it looks silly. As a genuine cultural thing done by Maori (or PI) at their cultural events it deserves respect. A white European doing one because he just won 10 quid on a scratch card, not so much. It's been appropriated as an all New Zealand thing and that doesn't work from the outside. You just look delusional try hards, trying to invent a history that's not there.
yeah but mate that is you talking about your norms in Scotland or wherever you are from. In NZ, it is perfectly normal for a NZ European to perform a haka. Chances are most of the NZ Europeans these days have some form of maori ancestry anyway. However, if not, so what?

The best way to describe it IMO is that a haka is performed as part of a group/team that a person is a member of, whether it is a work group representing the company, a school, a rugby team or other sporting team, a army battalion, a graduating police class, a bunch of old school mates farewelling a friend at a funeral or honouring another mate at a wedding. Whatever it is, it is a group thing. In this context, it doesn't matter what the colour of your skin is or whether you are not maori or not. You're in the group, you're part of the team.
And for a delicious Spag Bol?
http://www.betootaadvocate.com/headline ... aka-video/

We know it's perfectly normal in NZ, that's what we are laughing at. It's a historical tradition, it's nice that it survives as a cultural display at appropriate times. Just like Morris dancing or the silly Welsh hat thing. If it's done at a Maori wedding then it should be respected but when whitey does his haka, it's fair game to point and laugh.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Threads used to be about:
- world cups
- stadia
- haka
- poaching
- wife beating

Now the mocking only happens around stadia and the haka.

Progress and enlightenment... maybe, maybe not.

KG
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

dr dre2 wrote::lol:
Floppykid wrote:
Auckman wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:Shaking hands is one of many examples of what you probably consider normal behavior but which is in fact just a polite ritual and tradition that is not infact common to all cultures. The are many many others. Some tribal, some less so. I would put wearing a tie among the trivial, although many are forced by custom to wear this pointless and often uncomfortable item of clothing almost everyday.

Another example from my earlier post involved the launching of a boat. No one bats an eye at this custom no matter how small the boat, but a haka to celebrate the arrival of a multi million dollar aircraft is the equivalent of pulling out the haka "for the opening of an envelope".

If the Lions were greeted by a series of boring speeches, a parade of dignitaries, and perhaps a stirring national anthem with an exchange of gifts, no one would say a thing as it would match the European tradition. But NZ is not Europe or a little Britain. So the response of some to seeing traditions other than their own can be quite revealing. Especially their view that somehow the different cultures that have been involved in creating a modern New Zealand culture should somehow have remained segregated. That isn't something that has happened anywhere. Cultures interact and influence each other no matter where you are.

And yes, more than just haka have been moved beyond just being Maori culture and have become part of New Zealand culture. As a result many Maori words have become part of New Zealand English as the concepts associated lose something in translation.
But shaking hands doesn't involve pulling silly faces, poking your tongue out and thigh slapping, these are things we Europeans discourage in our children, and to see European NZ adults doing it looks silly. As a genuine cultural thing done by Maori (or PI) at their cultural events it deserves respect. A white European doing one because he just won 10 quid on a scratch card, not so much. It's been appropriated as an all New Zealand thing and that doesn't work from the outside. You just look delusional try hards, trying to invent a history that's not there.
yeah but mate that is you talking about your norms in Scotland or wherever you are from. In NZ, it is perfectly normal for a NZ European to perform a haka. Chances are most of the NZ Europeans these days have some form of maori ancestry anyway. However, if not, so what?

The best way to describe it IMO is that a haka is performed as part of a group/team that a person is a member of, whether it is a work group representing the company, a school, a rugby team or other sporting team, a army battalion, a graduating police class, a bunch of old school mates farewelling a friend at a funeral or honouring another mate at a wedding. Whatever it is, it is a group thing. In this context, it doesn't matter what the colour of your skin is or whether you are not maori or not. You're in the group, you're part of the team.

We know it's perfectly normal in NZ, that's what we are laughing at. It's a historical tradition, it's nice that it survives as a cultural display at appropriate times. Just like Morris dancing or the silly Welsh hat thing. If it's done at a Maori wedding then it should be respected but when whitey does his haka, it's fair game to point and laugh.
Only if you are racist.
Jays Myth

Post by Jays Myth »

dr dre2 wrote::lol:
Floppykid wrote:
Auckman wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:

So only Maori can do the Haka but it's ok for any old bro from anywhere to pull on a Lions jersey :?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Wasting your time thinking you're going to be able to actually debate over tribal issues with someone so close to the throne, lads.

it's all fuzzy wuzzies and golliwogs over there.
J Man

Post by J Man »

The Blues are going to do a Haka!!! First ever Blues Haka!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11870675
Toro

Post by Toro »

J Man wrote:The Blues are going to do a Haka!!! First ever Blues Haka!

:lol: Love it.
Toro

Re: B&IL TOUR HAKA THREADS COUNT

Post by Toro »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
I take great offence to this post.

It's 'Get him a body bag, yeahhhhhh' FFS.
Spoiler: show
My bad, while since I've seen it :blush: Good to put a face to Floppy though!
J Man

Post by J Man »

Toro wrote:

I want a Haka before every game, training session, meal and bus ride.
Toro

Post by Toro »

irishjonny wrote:Hey Toro. Come on. I don't think I should be a principal Haka troll. I would say peripheral. I've only started one thread on it. I may have expressed my exasperation a couple of times in the past but I think that's a pretty big tar brush you swinging (probably in a haka manner).

I think my line of thinking is exactly the same as Taine Randell. No more, no less. I think it's become common and not special, which is what personally I used to feel about it. It's probably a shame that this has happened. I can see how it wouldn't lose that gloss in NZ but you must surely see how it would outside of NZ. Taine agrees.

To try and placate everyone and in the spirit of impartiality, I have the same contempt for the f**king "Fields of Athenry". For much the same reason. Used to be a nice wee tune to sing down in Munster. Bit of passion and all that. Had some meaning. Now every Irishman is singing it at every opportunity. And now the bloody Lions have learned it. Such a dirge. Same thing where over exposure leads to boredom. Lots of history with that too but now spoiled it.

PS. There's no 'h' in Jonny. That really does my nut in. Possibly as much as this haka thread does yours in. Ok, maybe not.
Sorry Jonny, your line of thinking was to troll the haka with a thread after the first sight of one. Then to follow it up with a doozy quote of colonial ignorance which made the other list. Your coherent and understandable Taine Randell argument came later. You're on the list.
Toro

Post by Toro »

J Man wrote:
Toro wrote:

I want a Haka before every game, training session, meal and bus ride.
And then completely flag it before the tests, that would really throw them off. They'll just have to quietly put that grass back down.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Changing room hakas are the best. So rare, so special, a haka which says, fudge tradition, fudge respect for the hosts, the only history is our history.

:thumbup:
Denirostaxidriver

Post by Denirostaxidriver »

Plato'sCave wrote:Changing room hakas are the best. So rare, so special, a haka which says, f**k tradition, f**k respect for the hosts, the only history is our history.

Sadly Wales left their whole performance in the changing room
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Denirostaxidriver wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:Changing room hakas are the best. So rare, so special, a haka which says, f**k tradition, f**k respect for the hosts, the only history is our history.

Sadly Wales left their whole performance in the changing room
Gyppo never picked Henson PBUH.
Waka Nathan

Post by Waka Nathan »

F**k Wales for welshing on the agreement that the Haka will come last in the preliminaries.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Waka Nathan wrote:

F**k Wales for welshing on the agreement that the Haka will come last in the preliminaries.
fudge off. Centenary game, anthem supposed to come after haka
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

That was a platonic cave haka, brought about by the hosts' double cross and reneging on a deal.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

guy smiley wrote:

That was a platonic cave haka, brought about by the hosts' double cross and reneging on a deal.
It was poetically butt hurt. :thumbup:
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Plato'sCave wrote:
Waka Nathan wrote:

f**k off. Centenary game, anthem supposed to come after haka
Which was the year before, hence NZ agreeing. 2005 was just Welsh gamesmanship.
Denirostaxidriver

Plato'sCave wrote:
Waka Nathan wrote:

Um. For the centenary game it did come after the Haka.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Denirostaxidriver wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
Waka Nathan wrote:

Um. For the centenary game it did come after the Haka.
Hosts in denying history shock, the only history is their history
Waka Nathan

Post by Waka Nathan »

Plato'sCave wrote:
Waka Nathan wrote:

F**k off, Centenary game was the year before. That's when they agreed the Haka/anthems order would change as a one off to mirror what happened a hundred years ago.

The standoff was a tawdry stunt dreamed up by David Moffatt, someone already showing signs of mental confusion.
Denirostaxidriver

Waka Nathan wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
Waka Nathan wrote:

F**k off, Centenary game was the year before. That's when they agreed the Haka/anthems order would change as a one off to mirror what happened a hundred years ago.

The standoff was a tawdry stunt dreamed up by David Moffatt, someone already showing signs of mental confusion.
Come back Plato
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

I looked it up, seems my memory is shite. We are a bunch of cûnts after all. :thumbup:
waguser

Post by waguser »

Mr Mike wrote:From the London thread.
blackblackblack wrote:Hello Mog, please allow me to say. Fuck off you bigoted cunt. Have a month.
Cause for a quick Haka.
World class Haka for some world class modding
jimmy speights

Post by jimmy speights »

Lads will be happy to know the Blues have composed a special haka for the match tmrw.

Perhaps Payne could respond on behalf of Lions.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Plato'sCave wrote:I looked it up, seems my memory is shite. We are a bunch of cûnts after all. :thumbup:

dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

Only if you are racist.
One European laughing at another for poking his tongue out to welcome an inanimate object is not racist.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

dr dre2 wrote:
Only if you are racist.
One European laughing at another for poking his tongue out to welcome an inanimate object is not racist.
No Europeans do the Haka. New Zealanders do.
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

Shrekles wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
Only if you are racist.
Ethnic European. The ones who's only claim to Maori culture is that their grandfather raped one.Them boys.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

dr dre2 wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
Only if you are racist.
Ethnic European.
Who the fudge are you calling ethnic european? Having some far distant ancestor who once hailed from Europe doesn't make me 'Ethnically European' anymore than saying some player who has some ginger genes can't be maori.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

dr dre2 wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
Only if you are racist.
Ethnic European. The ones who's only claim to Maori culture is that their grandfather raped one.Them boys.

Well done. That's quite petty.... you've tripped over your petticoat there. Perhaps you might want to calm down a little and not post if you feel that hysterical in future?
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

Shrekles wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
Only if you are racist.
Ethnic European.
Who the f**k are you calling ethnic european? Having some far distant ancestor who once hailed from Europe doesn't make me 'Ethnically European' anymore than saying some player who has some ginger genes can't be maori.
Just because you haka bro? This doesn't change the fact your heritage is Morris dancing and 99% of the culture you live in is European. You just cling to a few minor things that you feel make you distinct, especially ones that have gained international reputation or "attention".
waguser

Post by waguser »

Floppykid wrote:
Auckman wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:

A curry I could understand ,

but SPAG BOL!!!!!?? HERESY
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

guy smiley wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:
Only if you are racist.

Well done. That's quite petty.... you've tripped over your petticoat there. Perhaps you might want to calm down a little and not post if you feel that hysterical in future?
What?
Toro

Re: B&IL TOUR HAKA THREADS COUNT

Post by Toro »

Toro wrote:Will it beat the haka count?

1. HAKA COUNT http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79831

2. THEY'VE ARRIVED http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79756

3. 37 HAKA LIONS TOUR http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79768

...and I'm pretty sure another was merged or deleted.

Principal haka trolls:

dr dre2
Irish Johny
Anonymous
Mog
Dai
Camroc1
Clive
Henry
Crash12
C69
I guess Floppy kind of but he's kinda just laughs at everyone else's comments, bit like the 'put him in a body bag' dude from Karate Kid.

Best quotes: (suggestions welcome)
Clive wrote:Yes the haka is rather tedious, but they like the silly war dance so let them have it, but its become dull and its only one game in. I hope the Lions do a Wales and stare down the NZ team after the aka, although we lost that day it felt like we were pissing from a great height all over their dumb tradition.
irishjonny wrote:I suppose what gets me going about the haka is that much of those who claim it to be their culture, don't actually have it as their culture. I would imagine there is huge depth of culture and history of the Maori's and I think its disingenuous to claim that as your own if it's clearly not. I imagine it's only the Haka that gains ownership and not the rest of the culture and history. Maybe I'm wrong.
YOYO wrote: Did it become popular when the AB's started playing Maori players?
dr dre2 wrote:Ethnic European. The ones who's only claim to Maori culture is that their grandfather raped one.Them boys.
Toro

Post by Toro »

Keep 'em coming, that last one's a doozy and dre looks like he has a lot more to give. :nod:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Toro wrote:Keep 'em coming, that last one's a doozy and dre looks like he has a lot more to give. :nod:

He's a one man goldmine :lol:
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

dr dre2 wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
Who the f**k are you calling ethnic european? Having some far distant ancestor who once hailed from Europe doesn't make me 'Ethnically European' anymore than saying some player who has some ginger genes can't be maori.
Just because you haka bro? This doesn't change the fact your heritage is Morris dancing and 99% of the culture you live in is European. You just cling to a few minor things that you feel make you distinct, especially ones that have gained international reputation or "attention".
How do you know what my genetic make up is? Morris dancing - none of my ancestors came from England as far as I can tell.
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

guy smiley wrote:
Toro wrote:Keep 'em coming, that last one's a doozy and dre looks like he has a lot more to give. :nod:

He's a one man goldmine :lol:
If it's not about heritage you're just an adult poking his tongue out and slapping his thighs. And it's not Whitey's heritage. It's theme park culture, appropriated by whitey to give him identity. It's attention seeking and silly.