Tenby - voting Tory ?

All things Rugby
backrow

Tenby - voting Tory ?

Post by backrow »

Just had a long weekend in Tenby. Lovely people, beaches, food and drink as per usual.

I noticed an awful lot of 'vote Conservative' election stuff around the area, placards in people's windows etc - does this part of South Wales usually vote this way as I had assumed it was all staunch labour or plaid cymru

Also, happened to be on the piss on sat night when those awful attacks happened - the support from the locals who knew I was from London was superb and mostly along the "deport them all / shoot the bastards" type of political discourse and fine diplomacy.
Hawk97

Re: Tenby - voting Tory ?

Post by Hawk97 »

So, you're surprised conservative voters would be of the "shoot them all" opinion? :o

I wouldn't read much into the advertising posters in houses etc. Last election I lived in Brighton Kemptown, which was full of vote Labour/vote Green signs. Not a blue sign to be seen. Guess who won that seat....
backrow

Post by backrow »

Hawk97 wrote:So, you're surprised conservative voters would be of the "shoot them all" opinion? :o

I wouldn't read much into the advertising posters in houses etc. Last election I lived in Brighton Kemptown, which was full of vote Labour/vote Green signs. Not a blue sign to be seen. Guess who won that seat....
Hang on, just cos I saw lots of blue support around, doesn't mean the random but nice people out on a Saturday night would be.

I know there is no direct correlation but was just surprised to see so much overt Tory public support in that area.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

EC has predicted a 48.7% share for Conservatives for the seat of Carmarthen West and Pembrokeshire South. Up from 43.7. It's a safe seat.

Nearly 5000 UKIP voters last time.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Hawk97 wrote:EC has predicted a 48.7% share for Conservatives for the seat of Carmarthen West and Pembrokeshire South. Up from 43.7. It's a safe seat.

Nearly 5000 UKIP voters last time.
I see. Thanks for great informative reply, as usual PR gives a better quicker answer than some fruitless googling.
spartacws

Post by spartacws »

South Pembrokeshire is known as "Little England beyond Wales" - the Normans settled it with English and Flemish farmers in the 12 century. It has quite a distinct culture from other parts of Wales.
C69

Post by C69 »

spartacws wrote:South Pembrokeshire is known as "Little England beyond Wales" - the Normans settled it with English and Flemish farmers in the 12 century. It has quite a distinct culture from other parts of Wales.
Worst thread ever.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

All that has been said. And it's farming community. Always vote blue.

Did you get to Caldey Island? Love going there to see the monastery and wander around. Magical place is Pembs.
Red Chopper

Post by Red Chopper »

spartacws wrote:South Pembrokeshire is known as "Little England beyond Wales" - the Normans settled it with English and Flemish farmers in the 12 century. It has quite a distinct culture from other parts of Wales.
There's a very obvious cheap joke to be made there about settling Flemish speakers in Wales, but I'm above that sort of thing. ;)
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

backrow wrote:Just had a long weekend in Tenby. Lovely people, beaches, food and drink as per usual.

I noticed an awful lot of 'vote Conservative' election stuff around the area, placards in people's windows etc - does this part of South Wales usually vote this way as I had assumed it was all staunch labour or plaid cymru

Also, happened to be on the piss on sat night when those awful attacks happened - the support from the locals who knew I was from London was superb and mostly along the "deport them all / shoot the bastards" type of political discourse and fine diplomacy.
Tenby is not really South Wales, yes it's Southern but they are a different demographic. It is considered West Wales.
Llanelli onward is West Walian. We barely even recognise Swansea to be honest, in fact we don't.
backrow

Post by backrow »

LandOTurk wrote:All that has been said. And it's farming community. Always vote blue.

Did you get to Caldey Island? Love going there to see the monastery and wander around. Magical place is Pembs.
We did. Only 90 mins or so but had a mooch around the village and chapel .
Felt spiritually charged to be honest - was then brought back to reality a few hours later with the London attacks, massive drunkenness , and random Welsh women showing my wife their tattoos on their boobs and vaginal area.
backrow

Post by backrow »

I see - didn't know that. Certainly was no anti English sentiment when I was watching the lions game, surrounded by Boyos in Welsh jerseys. (Also a fair few incomprehensible Munster fans too)
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

backrow wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:All that has been said. And it's farming community. Always vote blue.

We did. Only 90 mins or so but had a mooch around the village and chapel .
Felt spiritually charged to be honest - was then brought back to reality a few hours later with the London attacks, massive drunkenness , and random Welsh women showing my wife their tattoos on their boobs and vaginal area.

:shock: :shock:
backrow

Post by backrow »

Yeah - perhaps I should explain that a bit more.

Was about midnight, everyone quite drunk, already had some bantz with randoms thanks to rugby and the attacks. Wifey queuing for loo, chats to some chicks about their tattoos , they classily show off their boob and near to muff tattoos .
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

backrow wrote:Yeah - perhaps I should explain that a bit more.

Was about midnight, everyone quite drunk, already had some bantz with randoms thanks to rugby and the attacks. Wifey queuing for loo, chats to some chicks about their tattoos , they classily show off their boob and near to muff tattoos .
Phew :lol:
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Red Chopper wrote:
There's a very obvious cheap joke to be made there about settling Flemish speakers in Wales, but I'm above that sort of thing. ;)
:lol:
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

backrow wrote:
I see - didn't know that. Certainly was no anti English sentiment when I was watching the lions game, surrounded by Boyos in Welsh jerseys. (Also a fair few incomprehensible Munster fans too)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landsker_Line
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Mick Mannock wrote:
Red Chopper wrote:
:lol:
Not bad. I'll give you that one. :thumbup: :lol: