OFFICIAL UNOFFICIAL 4th TEST MATCH THREAD Crusaders vs Lions

All things Rugby
Mr Mike

Re: OFFICIAL UNOFFICIAL 4th TEST MATCH THREAD Crusaders vs L

Post by Mr Mike »

Nieghorn wrote:Crusaders were consistently too flat, especially for the Lions' defence. Took the ball standing still, and didn't get the best of passes, so either were smashed or resorted to desperate transfers (credit to them for how many of those actually went to hand!). A little depth and they'd have had more options.
The Lions deserve enormous credit for the efficient way they closed down the Crusaders backline and highlighted how important Crotty is. There are some very talented youngsters but Crotty is the factor that makes them operate properly as a unit, and the structure of the Lions was exposed that. Bateman at 12 may have been a better starting option for his experience.

Terrific learning experience for them.
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

10.6 tbf.

But most AB fans will happily tell you Dagg's tackling isn't flash. He does a lot of stuff well, just not that.
Denirostaxidriver

Post by Denirostaxidriver »

RWC2015 wrote:
Denirostaxidriver wrote:
Do I need to do this AGAIN :lol:

You should watch the last lre-AB test in Dublin. Half fit SOB was best player on the field.
Yes. A 3 tries to nil loss and you still had the best player on the field. fudge me.

This was originally a response (to Floppy and taken very well) about SOBs success against the ABs. Don't get so precious.
LeGrenouile

Post by LeGrenouile »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:As an aside, all this whining about Itoje's clapping.

Did anyone watch that haka? That's the definition of tedious and self indulgent.
Judging by his name, ethnic background I feel he is well qualified for a tribal dance or 2
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Err
towny

Post by towny »

Lions skinned them - only the scoreboard was close.

I'm betting on them to win the first test.
Couch

Post by Couch »

Crusaders fans suspiciously quiet after the game.

So much for the vaunted unofficial fourth test.
:roll: :thumbdown:
Couch

Post by Couch »

JM2K6 wrote:I also enjoyed the frenzied celebrations in the coaches box from the Kiwis when there was a scrum turnover.
:lol: :lol:
Razor came in his red n black undies when that happened
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Mr Mike wrote:

Did anyone watch that haka? That's the definition of tedious and self indulgent.
I did watch it with some amusement, it had plenty to trigger reactions. Over long, some very idiosyncratic moves (including the Full Monty shoulder action) and the nod to 2005 with the grass.

Wonderful piece but obviously left the boys spent.

If it is never used again it will be too soon.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

LeGrenouile wrote:

Judging by his name, ethnic background I feel he is well qualified for a tribal dance or 2
Edgy :blush:
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Couch wrote:Crusaders fans suspiciously quiet after the game.

I think you will find most of us congratulated the Lions on a well deserved victory before leaving the gloating and general dickery to others.

As for the test comment. Only the OP really refered to it as that. But having said that, how do you think the intensity last night was in comparison to a test match?
SecretAgentMan

Post by SecretAgentMan »

Fat Old Git wrote:
Couch wrote:Crusaders fans suspiciously quiet after the game.

I think you will find most of us congratulated the Lions on a well deserved victory before leaving the gloating and general dickery to others.
Quite.

I did enjoy watching the much vaunted Lions scrum getting decimated, though. [/gloat]
Grizz Wyllie

Post by Grizz Wyllie »

Well done to the Lions. That was the blueprint to beating Kiwi sides. All this talk about needing to match the All Blacks in attacking intent is nonsense. The Lions picked a squad to win a certain way and that was seen last night.

The Crusaders were woeful. But if that was their one stinker for the season then they picked the right time to have it. Eight years of hurt isn't ended by winning a one-off match in June. They need to win in in August.

Last night's match showed to win those big ones they need Crotty and Read back. Who knows what shape our All Blacks will be in after brutal series against the Lions, though.
whezmabeer

Post by whezmabeer »

JM2K6 wrote:Fuming mate
Stop and have a cold beer, which will reduce your rage. :D I find it does a lot for my demeanour. :roll:
whezmabeer

Post by whezmabeer »

mr bungle wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:I also enjoyed the frenzied celebrations in the coaches box from the Kiwis when there was a scrum turnover.
You wait till you see Razor breakdance :thumbup: While Itoje will try similar for a kick not going 10m, you'll have to wait till they win another championship. Maybe this year :thumbup:
Ah hem...

Chiefs back on track, I feel a third title coming on. :D
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

It was an odd game from the Crusaders. And please don't read this as taking anything away from the Lions performance, but they seemed dazzled by the occasion right from the kick off when they muffed a fairly easy regulation restart to put themselves under pressure. They then spent the rest of the match playing catch up when there really wasn't much in the score and a bit of patience was required. It played right into the Lions hands who capitalized on it well and applied even more pressure.

Crusaders are usually quite a patient team happy to hold onto the ball until they can force an error or work a gap. But last night they seemed to kick everything away if the failed to make progress immediately. And with the Lions rush defence working extremely well that was pretty much every time. There was no real effort to negate it by using the pick and go to draw in some defenders before trying to go wide.

I think we missed Crotty and Read's leadership more than we missed their skill.

But hopefully they will learn from it.
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

Tim. wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Dai another day wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Dai another day wrote:Connor Murray box kicking is dreadfully tedious.

Great stuff by AWJ today.
Because he doesn't kick it down the back three's throat uncontested like Webb does?
Take off those green-cūnted spectacles you faux Mick
This is how you win in the SH you dumb fudge
Crusaders (7) 7
Try:
Todd
Con:
Taylor

England (26) 38
Tries:
Gray, Foden, Barritt, Goode, Watson, Pennell
Cons:
Cipriani 3, Myler

:nod: :nod:
44 points on Aus last game Eng were in the SH. 38 on the RGS today.

George Ford. :o
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Mr Mike wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:Crusaders were consistently too flat, especially for the Lions' defence. Took the ball standing still, and didn't get the best of passes, so either were smashed or resorted to desperate transfers (credit to them for how many of those actually went to hand!). A little depth and they'd have had more options.
The Lions deserve enormous credit for the efficient way they closed down the Crusaders backline and highlighted how important Crotty is. There are some very talented youngsters but Crotty is the factor that makes them operate properly as a unit, and the structure of the Lions was exposed that. Bateman at 12 may have been a better starting option for his experience.

Terrific learning experience for them.
The match will be good for the Crusaders as we go into the final round then the finals of SR.

I agree fully that Bateman at 12 and Havili at 15 would have been a better team but I doubt that we would have beaten the Lions even then.
whezmabeer

Post by whezmabeer »

mr bungle wrote:
Anonymous wrote: Yes Sexton was outside but way to far back and way to slow.

Too

Too also has two uses. First, as a synonym for "also":

Can I go too?

He went to France too

I think that’s Paul’s book too

He is a troll too

Secondly, too means excessively when it precedes an adjective or adverb.

I’m too tired

He’s walking too quickly

I ate too much

I trolled too much
Fixed
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Fat Old Git wrote:It was an odd game from the Crusaders. And please don't read this as taking anything away from the Lions performance, but they seemed dazzled by the occasion right from the kick off when they muffed a fairly easy regulation restart to put themselves under pressure. They then spent the rest of the match playing catch up when there really wasn't much in the score and a bit of patience was required. It played right into the Lions hands who capitalized on it well and applied even more pressure.

Crusaders are usually quite a patient team happy to hold onto the ball until they can force an error or work a gap. But last night they seemed to kick everything away if the failed to make progress immediately. And with the Lions rush defence working extremely well that was pretty much every time. There was no real effort to negate it by using the pick and go to draw in some defenders before trying to go wide.

It was Sam Whitelock's first poor match as captain, he did now show the composure we are used to.

Probably because it was his first loss as captain.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

I'm not sure about that. The game was still anyones until right near the end and it's not as if the Crusaders haven't been behind on the scoreboard during the season. But I agree his decision making was poor last night. Turning down a certain 3 points for example.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

BlueThunder wrote:
the curse wrote:blueprint for the tests ?
Kick the fudge out of the ball and hope the All Blacks drop it every time?
It worked for the Springboks in 2009, and they haven't changed their game plan despite losing almost every game since.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Well done Lions, I knew a side close to their best test side would be too good and so it proved. I'm glad I put my money where my mouth is.

The Saders weren't great but the young guys will learn a lot from the game. All up as a NZ supporter you'd have to be pretty relaxed. The All Blacks they ain't.
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Tremendous result for the Lions and the tour. They may have failed to razzle dazzle but they were very good at what they did and showed tremendous discipline and control. Great on defence and the Crusaders couldn't deal with the rush tactics at all. Scrum interpretations were unusual but you play the ref. Sanders kicking was shit all night and the Lions kicking game was so much better than at Eden Park.

Well done Lions. I suspect the Highlanders will test the Lions differently and be more confrontational at ruck and maul.

A lot for the Lions to take out the match, the ABs will also have taken a lot away from last nights match. The test refs have all officiated the ABs on a number of occasions so there should be no confusion as to what the players will expect. Pyper and Poite adore the ABs and Garces loves to throw the YCs around.

The Lions now have a solid foundation from which to launch more enterprising play. To beat the ABs in NZ you need to attack them in at the ruck and slow their ball. Easier said than done. My concern for the ABs is the number of injuries. The loose forwards look underdone and Coles is easily the best hooker in NZ .. I doubt he'll be taking part in the 1st test.

More great games ahead.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Fat Old Git wrote:It was an odd game from the Crusaders. And please don't read this as taking anything away from the Lions performance, but they seemed dazzled by the occasion right from the kick off when they muffed a fairly easy regulation restart to put themselves under pressure. They then spent the rest of the match playing catch up when there really wasn't much in the score and a bit of patience was required. It played right into the Lions hands who capitalized on it well and applied even more pressure.

I think they were simply overawed trying desperately to match the dazzling three try performance of the Blues and froze like rabbits in the headlights. ;)
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

booji boy wrote:

I think they were simply overawed trying desperately to match the dazzling three try performance of the Blues and froze like rabbits in the headlights. ;)
I think there's been enough smug posts from Blues supporters for me to point out this was a much stronger Lions side which would have buried your bunch of underachieving showponies.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Fat Old Git wrote:I'm not sure about that. The game was still anyones until right near the end and it's not as if the Crusaders haven't been behind on the scoreboard during the season. But I agree his decision making was poor last night. Turning down a certain 3 points for example.
Yes but in all the close matches, even the ones we won in the last few minutes, we have seemed capable of breaking the line and scoring tries.

That decision not to take the 3 points was unusual. If we weren't going to take the points, I thought a scrum would have been better than a lineout.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Re-watching the game now and you get the distinct impression that of the two scrum penalties the Lions received for a Crusaders early push was that the Lions (Furlong) simply pulled back and conned the ref. Fair play to them.

The Lions then have a scrum in the 21st minute this time the ref is standing on tighthead side and Furlong gets utterly f**ked by Moody. Cody Taylor letting Jamie George know what's going on and Luke Romano doing his best Maro Itoje impersonation in the background.
Andalu

Post by Andalu »

I just watched the game although I knew the result. Fair play to the Lions, better team on the day but like the Blues game, either team could have won. Some points that have probably been made but I CBA reading the entire thread:

-Crusaders should've taken the points, this is the B&I Lions, not the King or Sunwolves
-Crusaders played below average, yes a lot of it is down to the opposition but they made mistakes they wouldn't normally make. Possibly overawed by the occasion, some young lads
-No ABs in the Crusaders 6-14 and this game showed why
-Havili is a good fullback but a mediocre 12. Crotty was a huge loss. Very glad SBW is in fine form
-Reffing of the scrum is up for debate but good from an AB perspective that we looked strong
-More worried about Farrell at 10 than Sexton
-Lions line speed and defence in general was good but must be slightly concerned abut their lack of try-scoring. 2 in 3 games is poor against what in theory should be weak defence, or so our northern friends love to tell us

Overall the game was fairly dull, both sides made too many mistakes and I don't buy that low-scoring games are more tense. As long as the game is in the balance for the full 80 then it's tense.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

jdogscoop wrote:
booji boy wrote:

I think there's been enough smug posts from Blues supporters for me to point out this was a much stronger Lions side which would have buried your bunch of underachieving showponies.
Victories over touring British and Irish Lions teams:

Blues 1
Crusaders 0
Murdoch

Post by Murdoch »

booji boy wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Victories over touring International teams:

Blues 1/2
Crusaders 0/2
Chiefs 1/1
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

I'm sure those victories will give you comfort heading into the super rugby finals.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

Thanks be to joe we won the 4th test!!
SilverGrin

Post by SilverGrin »

Murdoch wrote:
booji boy wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Victories over touring International teams:

Blues 1/2
Crusaders 0/2
Chiefs 1/1
Typical fkn Aucklander.